Moveing rows

I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the order
I want.

I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware
overwritten.

How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows?

Thanks,

Dennis

0
dvhughes (47)
5/23/2006 3:12:12 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you do ctrl + x and then select where you want it, then right click and
select insert cut cells
or copy and do it, then after you are sure you got it right delete the
original

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging."  Lord Healey

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the
>order I want.
>
> I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware
> overwritten.
>
> How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

0
Peo
5/23/2006 3:18:10 AM
Hi Dennis,

Try instead:

Select rows to move
Right-click | Cut
Select the destination
Right-click | Insert Cut Cells

---
Regards,
Norman

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the
>order I want.
>
> I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware
> overwritten.
>
> How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

0
normanjones (1047)
5/23/2006 3:20:13 AM
Hi, you should select the entire rows which you want to copy, make sure
the row selection boundary is visible, and then use your mouse to click
the boundary to drag and move it around. if you need to move it to a
different sheet, you could press alt and then drag it over to another
sheet.

--
KellTainer
KellTainer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34322

Thanks,

Worked like a champ.  The previous cut & paste cost me almost 2 hrs
recreating the file.  I didn't notice it until too late.

Dennis

"Norman Jones" <normanjones@whereforartthou.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dennis,
>
> Try instead:
>
> Select rows to move
> Right-click | Cut
> Select the destination
> Right-click | Insert Cut Cells
>

> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the
>>order I want.
>>
>> I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware
>> overwritten.
>>
>> How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis

0
dvhughes (47)
5/23/2006 3:34:17 AM
Hi Dennis,
This solution would work better,  Select the rows to be moved
as a group then  hold the SHIFT key and grab the border of
the grouped rows  pointer must change to an arrow, and drag to
between the rows you want them moved between.

More information on that and similar things in
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
---
HTH,

"Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:e%23ZstahfGHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the order
> I want.
>
> I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware
> overwritten.
>
> How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dennis

That is a great way to move rows.

I learned a lot from my question.  Thanks to all,

Dennis
"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie_xlmvp@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi Dennis,
> This solution would work better,  Select the rows to be moved
> as a group then  hold the SHIFT key and grab the border of
> the grouped rows  pointer must change to an arrow, and drag to
> between the rows you want them moved between.
>
> More information on that and similar things in
>  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Dennis Hughes" <dvhughes@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the
>> order
>> I want.
>>
>> I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware
>> overwritten.
>>
>> How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dennis

0
dvhughes (47)

Move message after being read and closed
I am trying to figure out how I can have a message automatically moved to a specific folder after being read and closed. I am not familiar enough with Outlook VBA to do this. Anyone have any ideas how I can accomplish this? "Sys Adm" <charleskg@msn.com> wrote in message news:Xns98E15114D861Dsysadmpridenet@208.49.82.220... >I am trying to figure out how I can have a message automatically moved to a > specific folder after being read and closed. I am not familiar enough > with > Outlook VBA to do this. Anyone have any ideas how I can accomplish this? > ...

Rearranging rows & Cloumn( Please help me)
I have a data in this format Date Day Time Confirmed Home Page UV's Search Page UV's Ratio of H.S & H.P conversion this hour UV's 1-Feb Fri 9:30 AM 424 8456 4047 0.481 0.1088 1-Feb Fri 10:30 AM 615 13689 6749 0.5163 0.0707 1-Feb Fri 11:30 AM 926 19872 10104 0.5426 0.0927 1-Feb Fri 12:30 PM 1247 27366 13842 0.4988 0.0859 1-Feb Fri 1:30 PM 1584 34334 17307 0.4973 0.0973 1-Feb Fri 2:30 PM 1895 41185 20761 0.5042 0.09 & I want to re arrange this data like below Day Date Time Activity Value Data Type Monday 13-Aug 10:30AM Confirmed 256 Daily Monday 13-Aug 10:30AM Home Page N...

How do I keep a formula from changing if a row is added or deleted
I have a formulas referencing cells in another worksheet. When rows are added or deleted from the worksheet the formulas are either changed to skip the new row or receive an #REF! error when a row is deleted. Regardless of what happens in the worksheet I want the formulas to remain the same. Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany cwolt wrote: > I have a formulas referencing cells in another worksheet. When rows > are added or deleted from the worksheet the formulas are either > changed to skip the new row or receive an #REF! error when a row is >...

Delete row if cell in col b is blank
Hi I have a large sheet and need a macro to delete any row which does no have a value in column B. So, if B32 was blank, the whole of row 3 would be deleted. Can anyone come up with a simple macro to do this? Thanks, Berti -- claytor ----------------------------------------------------------------------- claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1161 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48322 an easy way is to sort and delete desired or data>filter>autofilter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281...

how do i retrieve the largest value from several records/rows in e
i'm trying to retrieve the largest value from a field. the records are many but i only want to include the records related to a specific person. "DMAX" seems to be the closest function that would do the job but ... Assume your source table in A2:B2 down names in col A, real numbers in col B In E2 down are the inputs for col A, ie specific names: Name1, Name2 .. In F2, array-enter, ie press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to confirm the formula: =MAX(IF(A$2:A$100=E2,B$2:B$100)) F2 will return the max value from col B for the name in E2. Copy F2 down as required. Adapt the ranges to...

Deleting rows based on font
Hello, What's the best way to delete rows on the basis of cell's font? I'm running the following macro, but with large workbooks it takes forever to complete :-(( Thanks. Best Regards Yarroll Dim k As Long, howm As Long howm = WorksheetFunction.CountA(ActiveSheet.Range("N:N")) For k = howm To 2 Step -1 If Cells(k, 12).Font.Bold = False Then Rows(k).Delete End If Next End sub Hi try if the following is a little bit faster: Dim k As Long, howm As Long howm = WorksheetFunction.CountA(ActiveSheet.Range("N:N")) application.screenupdating = ...

Linking Cells in a row.
Hello, I am trying to link several cells in a row, so that when I sort one column, the rest of the row of information stays with the sorted cell. Thank you... Ben Register Hi Ben, All you need to do is highlight all the columns of the information. For example: If your "sort by" column is A and you want all information in columns B-F to stay with it, highlight A-F. Then you can highlight one cell in the group of cells that are highlighted. This shows up as a white cell within the highlighted area. press tab until the white box is in the column you want to sort by. ...

Removing rows with spaces at beginning of cell?
It seems someone has been inserting a random amount of spaces after the city in our accounting software. Not all of them have it, but a good number do. It annoys me like crazy, so I figured I'd fix them all. I've exported just the name of the company and city into Excel. There's over 2500+. Col A is Company Name. Col B is City. I've taken Col B and reversed the text (I have ASAP Utilities installed if that helps), this way I can see which ones have spaces at the end. Now how can I tell Excel to delete all the rows which do NOT contain spaces in the beginning of the cel...

How do I advance the range by one row Excell VBA automatically #3
I am using Sheets(Array("Breakfast", "Lunch", "Supper", "Bedtime")).Select Range("B94:D98").Select but when I run this more than once it overwrites what was put in the first time. ...

Any way to delete rows that don't contain 'x'?
Hi, I've exported a CSV list of phone calls from Skype into Excel. I want to delete all rows that do not contain a certain number string e.g. 0000. Is this possible? Ideally it would move other rows up to fill the gaps so I'm just left with a neat list of remaining numbers. -- Thanks. CJSnet (Remove TEETH to reply by e-mail.) Hi Without using a macro you could do this job with a helper column alongside your data. Put something like this: =COUNTIF(A2:A25,"0000")=0 You can then fill this down. To fix the values in place, copy the range and Edit|Paste Special|Values...

moving files #4
I was trying to copy some messages to a different folder. I right clicked and chose "move to folder" and then inadvertently selected "Personal Folders" instead of a specific subfolder. Now the messages are nowhere to be found. Where did they go? Use Advanced Find and specify one known message as the search item and then select all items modified within your time period. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted wi...

How to move Outlook 2003 between computers ?
Hello, Simple question - how do I move all my eMail accounts (mostly http) & mail folders in O2K3 between two computers ? Regards Steve See http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm for files outlook uses - you'll want to move the *.pst used by pop accounts but with http, you only need to move the account settings as all mail is stored on the server. to move accounts: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm#tools -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Goo...

Moving mails to a different user
One of our employee had quit and we want to move all his current and new emails to other employee (who already has a mail box). How could this be achieved? Thanks in advance. I am using Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 you can either just rename the account of the person who's left to the new person's name; or you could (if you have mailbox retention configured) delete the mailbox, then after cleanup is run, attach the mailbox to the new user's account - re-add the departed user's original smtp address as a secondary address; or you use exmerge to make a copy of the old user...

Repeat top row
How do I repeat the top row of my spread sheet to the top of every page in my spread sheet? thanks Leland You mean when you print the worksheet? If yes, then... File|page setup|sheet tab Click in the "rows to repeat at top" then use the mouse to select the rows you want repeated. Leland wrote: > > How do I repeat the top row of my spread sheet to the top of every page in > my spread sheet? > > thanks > > Leland -- Dave Peterson Thanks, it worked "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:4416EE6E.432CF98...

make First row Header
How can I make the first row in my excel document the headers. Example: change A, B, C to Name, Phone, Address As I enter additional data I will need the forst row to stay as the header. Thanks You can't. You can use letters or numbers or nothing. Tools|options|General tab|check/uncheck R1C1 Reference style or tools|options|view tab|check/uncheck row and column headers. But there's nothing stopping you from putting headers in row 1 and then freezing panes so that row 1 is always visible. As a user of excel, I expect to see the row and column headers. So I don't see a problem...

EXcluding Zeros from the average in a row
HI I am trying to average a row of numbers (F35:U35) that have numeric zeros in some of the cells. However, I would like to exclude them, and the cells from the calculation "=AVERAGE(F35:U35)". Is there a way to do that? Thanks -- Geo Hi Geo This array formula will do the job: =AVERAGE(IF(F35:U35<>0,F35:U35)) To be entered with <Shift><Ctrl><Enter> instead of <Enter>, also if edited later. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Geo" <Geo@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:9C2B0B65-1AF...

How to select only odd/even numbered rows to be shaded
I am working with a pretty large worksheet and would like to select ONLY the odd or even numbered rows so that i can shade them. Can someone offer #1 - how to select these certain rows and #2 - how to format them? Thanks See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#rows -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Skott" <Skott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C226E4D-42E3-4BB9-8D6A-55C13F971B78@microsoft.com... > I am working with a pretty large worksheet and would like to select ONLY the > odd or even numbered rows ...

vba macro to perform custom reporting -transpose from rows to columns
I have one workbook and two sheets 1 sheet has data for automated test scenarios that may be run up to 3 time if they don't pass on the first or second try Sheet1: TestSet Test Result reason if failed 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail x 4 fail y 4 fail z I want to create a summary report that looks like Sheet2 for the Sheet1 logs above test run1 result test run2 result test run 3result Sheet2 Testset result1 result2 result3 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail fail fail So if a testset is executed more ...

Rule to move all incomming mail from a domain???
How can I create an OL 2002 rule to move all incomming mail from a certain domain? Example: sales@ebay.com support@ebay.com bob@ebay.com I'd like to have one rule to move all these to the ebay folder. *@ebay.com doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions? Thank you, Don Are you using the rule "with specific words in the sender's address" and = specifying @ebay.com? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Don asked: | How can I create an OL 2002 rule to move all incom...

Copy or Move a spreadsheet
I recently converted to Office 2007 from Office 2003. I have multiple spreadsheets (or "work-books") that I develop for modeling things. Then in reports, I move single pages from different work-books into an "exhibits" spreadsheet (or workbook). When I try to do this in Excel 2007 I am always getting this problem: "Excel cannot insert the sheets into the destination workbook, because it contains fewer rows and column than the source workbook. To move or copy the data to the destination workbook, you can selct the data, and then use the Copy and Pa...

Help have to move away from SQLXML
We current have a bunch of web services that make user of the SQLXML object. A template is created in code which calls several stored procedures each of which returns multiple xml recordsets from our SQL Server 2000 database. When the template is run an XSL transformation is automatically applied as well. The resulting document is then served to the caller. Due to the gods in charge they have decided in there infinite wisdom to disallow the use of the SQLXML object. So my question is how do I go about calling several stored procedures with SqlClient each of which returns multiple f...

exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet
I have a master sheet with all the sales information that my company tracks. I would like to create seperate sheets for each sales rep. I have all their initials listed under one column. Can I take each row and put the information onto another sheet based on what I put into the initials colum? exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet Hi Clark see responses in Excel.worksheet.functions NG Frank Clark Haddock wrote: > I have a master sheet with all the sales information that > my company tracks. I would like to create seperate > sheets for each sa...

convert a sum to a number that can be moved to another location
Can I convert a sum number to a number that can be copied to another cell minus the formula. Select the cell Edit|copy go to the other cell Edit|paste special|values These are xl2003 menus. You can also rightclick on each cell and get the same functionality. peteFL wrote: > > Can I convert a sum number to a number that can be copied to another cell > minus the formula. -- Dave Peterson ...

Printing Excel Colmns& Rows / Left To Right 1st across, then nxt l
Using Excel, I created an A to Z list of Authors I have read with their books (Authors ~ Column A/ Books ~ Column B) I was printing with no difficulty the complete lists (Author #1 w/ Books next to name, then Author #2 w/ Books and so on..) . A family member came in and said that the authors/books could be put in alpha order (either ascending or descending - both authors and their books), not that I really needed that. I was told to go to DATA and use that to do the job, which I tried, but it did not do what was mentioned it would do. Everything looked the same, but...

How to combine rows?
How can I do this? Name| Company | City Jon Smith| IBM| Toronto Jon Smith| TD| montreal into this: Name| Company | Company2 | City | City 2 Jon Smith| IBM | TD | Toronto | Montreal Thank you!! Insert columns. Select Company column, right click to Insert column. Select City column, right click to insert column. You will then have your 5 columns. "Dina" wrote: > How can I do this? > > Name| Company | City > Jon Smith| IBM| Toronto > Jon Smith| TD| montreal > > into this: > > Name| Company | Company2 ...