More on Alphabetize

My apologies for a badly written question.

 I have Excel Workbooks for each of 12 months (e.g. Jan. 2004 Daily
Figures).  They are in a Folder in My Documents named '2003 Daily Figures',
in irregular order.  I can Drag each but not Drop it where I wish it.  Is
there a way to Alphabetize the 12 Excel entries within a My Documents
Folder?

0
oldred1 (52)
10/7/2004 3:43:07 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sure. Rename them to 01-2004, 02-2004, etc.
**** Hope it helps! ****

~Dreamboat
Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon!
www.VBAExpress.com/training/
www.Brainbench.com Word Test Developer 2000,2002,2003
********************************
"Old Red One" <oldred1@charter.net> wrote in message
> My apologies for a badly written question.
>
>  I have Excel Workbooks for each of 12 months (e.g. Jan. 2004 Daily
> Figures).  They are in a Folder in My Documents named '2003 Daily
Figures',
> in irregular order.  I can Drag each but not Drop it where I wish it.  Is
> there a way to Alphabetize the 12 Excel entries within a My Documents
> Folder?

More on Alphabetize
My apologies for a badly written question. I have Excel Workbooks for each of 12 months (e.g. Jan. 2004 Daily Figures). They are in a Folder in My Documents named '2003 Daily Figures', in irregular order. I can Drag each but not Drop it where I wish it. Is there a way to Alphabetize the 12 Excel entries within a My Documents Folder? Sure. Rename them to 01-2004, 02-2004, etc. **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ www.Brainbench.com Word Test Developer 2000,2002,2003 ******************************** "Old ...

An alphabetically sorted list of findings...
I have been building on a converter between two systems. The goal hav been to find which twelve "Skills" is followed by the highest value and then create a list out of the top twelve. It may look somethin like this: Climb Heal Craft: Electronics Listen Performance: Dance Craft: Art Knowledge: Physics Drive Knowledge: History Diplomacy Sleight of Hand Knowledge: Geology Hide Move Silently What would help me a great deal would be if I somehow could build separate list of cells gathered from this list, searching for specific word, such as "Knowledge:&...

Alphabetize?
With a list of topics by the month (e.g. July 2004 Daily Numbers), how can they be alphabetized? Perhaps one way .. Assuming you have in col A, A1 down July 2004 Daily Numbers July 2004 Weekly Numbers August 2004 Daily Numbers August 2004 Weekly Numbers September 2004 Daily Numbers September 2004 Weekly Numbers etc Put in B1: =MID(TRIM(A1),SEARCH(" ",TRIM(A1),SEARCH(" ",TRIM(A1))+1)+1,99) Copy down Col B will extract the text-string after the "Month Year" string Use col B as the key to sort both cols A and B Alternatively, Try Data > Text to colum...

alphabet tabs
I am trying to create a draft a dictionary-type document where I would have a tmplate with a letter for each page (i.e. A,B,C....X,Y,Z). Then I could readily select a page where I could add an item or word for a specific letter (i.e. quickly go to M or P or Q) On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:31:02 -0800, David Glover <David Glover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to create a draft a dictionary-type document where I would have a >tmplate with a letter for each page (i.e. A,B,C....X,Y,Z). Then I could >readily select a page where I could add an item or word for...

How may I make a list display in alphabetical order in Excel?
Data>sort>ascending -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "pat henry" <pathenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:497E03A1-36FD-4962-B081-A66FC962E884@microsoft.com... > ...

alphabetically paginate in a merge
i'm trying to put a church directory together and have no problem merging from my excel database but i'm wondering if there is some way that i can cause the merge to paginate alphabetically... like in an address book. all the "a's" together, all the "b's" together and so on. any help would be greatly appreciated! What version Publisher? If you are using 2003-07 you could do this manually if you are using the catalogue merge. After the merge, in step five, create a new publication. Arrange the entries the way you are describing. -- Mary Sauer MSF...

Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet
I have a very large spreadsheet with text entries and would like to set it up so that I could click on a letter, for example, "d" and I'd be taken to the first cell with an entry beginning with "d". I also need to be able to continue to add data to the spreadsheet. I've read a lot of posts and the best solution seems to be setting up a macro. My problem is that I've never been able to record a macro and my attempts to try these in both Word and Excel have failed miserably. I've basically been self-taught in the Microsoft office programs for the past few yea...

Auto-Alphabetize

alphabetize a list
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to alphabetize a list that is just typed in as text, with hard return at end of each phrase? Thee list is not in table or mail merge format. Hi, this can be done in Word, but the option is well hidden. Select your text, then click on Table>Sort, and you'll be given the possibility to enter your sorting criteria. On 14/01/10 16:47, yoshore@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Is there a way to alphabetiz...

how do you sort ascend two columns alphabetically
i am trying to sort ascend two columns in order at the same time. Hi, select both columns, as first level choose first column in ascending sorting and as 2nd level tell to sort in ascending order column 2 "sherryc525" wrote: > i am trying to sort ascend two columns in order at the same time. ...

alphabetical
How can I make excel ogranize a block of cells by alphabetical or numerical order. But also having the cells associated with those being moved alos. (or just move the rows only) I dont know you guys are the experts. Thanks in advance G.S. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Suggest you always use Ctrl+A to select all cells on the sheet *before* invoking the sort then you won't have the problem. Read more on sorting http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: h...

Alphabetical Sort
I have made a table to use as a Membershiplist in MSPub. How can I sort the members' names into alphabetical order? Copy it into a Spreadsheet and sort it there. The use of a Spreadsheet is only limited by your imagination, and is not only for crunching numbers. Then just copy and paste it into Publisher. Just post back if you need any further assistance. -- ...

Alphabetizing
I cannot figure out how to alphabetize my entries in Excel 2007. In 2003 I just clicked a button. How do I do that in 2007? thanks On the Data tab of the Ribbon, choose the Sort button. Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, Excel, 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:00:02 -0700, DeniseB <DeniseB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I cannot figure out how to alphabetize my entries in Excel 2007. In 2003 I >just clicked a button. How do I do that in 2007? >thanks ...

alphabetize cells
Select the whole range to sort, then Data|Sort. b365morton wrote: -- Dave Peterson The easiest way is to first select all cells on the sheet. Unless you have separate sections to be sorted independently you would normally first select all cells on the sheet. Just thought it might seem ambiguous if you don't already know the answer. "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:42D413F6.6C5BF7C4@verizonXSPAM.net... > Select the whole range to sort, then Data|Sort. > > b365morton wrote: > > -- > > Dave Peterson ...

alphabetize
I have four columns filled with data. Now I want to alphabetize the first column, but also want that the data in the other three columns move with the relevant item in the first column. First use your mouse to highlight all of the cells that you would like to sort. Then at the top go to <data><sort> then you probably want to select no header row. Then in the (sort by) drop box select the column that you would like to sort by and click OK. reguards Norm "Ahsen" wrote: > I have four columns filled with data. Now I want to alphabetize the first > column, bu...

Sort numbers alphabetically
Let's say I have a list: 1 2 5 20 35 I want it alphabetical, ie: 1 2 20 35 5 Even if I make them text, they still sort numerically. Is there some trick? Thanks, Joe One method................ In B1 enter =LEFT(A1) Copy down. Copy and paste special>values. Select column A and B and sort on column B Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:19:10 -0700 (PDT), Pungh0Li0 <joe.dellwo@gmail.com> wrote: >Let's say I have a list: >1 >2 >5 >20 >35 > >I want it alphabetical, ie: >1 >2 >20 >35 >5 > >Even if I make them text...

Alphabetically
How do I make surnames appear alphabetically in Excel spreadsheets? Amanda Bainbridge wrote: > How do I make surnames appear alphabetically in Excel spreadsheets? If you have a column of the names, highlight them all and then click Tools>Sort and work your way through the panels. Excel will then sort everything alphabetically for you. If the column of names is followed by other columns of corresponding data, you'll need to highlight all the columns so when the names are sorted into order their corresponding data will move with them. Good luck... Bill I assume you have nam...

Excel
Is there some function in Excel (VBA) that will get me the column alphabet if I provide the column number, or do I have to write one. I ask because I know that there is, yet I recall I wrote this functionality for the previous application, and I don't want to: (1) Reuse it, if there's something in-built (2) Re-invent the wheel Help! PS: I'm looking for something like: code:-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Function GetAlphabet(ByVal ColumnNumber as Long) as String ------------------------------------------------------------------...

How do I alphabetize names that are in a table??? File is set up.
I have a file set up for address labels (#5160). It is over 13 pages....I would like to alphabetize the contents by LName of each label. Mickey in NYC wrote: > I have a file set up for address labels (#5160). It is over 13 pages....I > would like to alphabetize the contents by LName of each label. You can't do this in Publisher. You would have to use the mail merge feature and use Excel and sort your list using Excel. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Alphabetizing in Excel
I know about the sort function in Excel. I have a column of names, first name followed by the last name. Can I get Excel to sort them by the LAST name? Thank you. You need to create an additional column that contains only the last name, and sort on that column. For simple first and last names, the following formula will return the last name of the full name in A1. =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1,99) Copy this formula down as far as you need to go. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "FORMULA QUESTION" ...

Converting number to Alphabet
Hi, I got a table as follows: Yr Eng HR Sales 05 0 0 -1 06 0 -1 0 07 -1 -1 -1 Now while selecting the data I need to show the above as: NNS NHN EHS Here N is equivalent to 0 while if it is -1 then the value will be either E or H or S depenidng on which column belongs to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Try this -- SELECT Jack.Yr, IIf([Eng]=0,"N","E") & IIf([HR]=0,"N","H") & IIf([Sales]=0,"N","S") AS Expr1 FROM Jack; -- KARL DEW...

how to do it alphabetically
hiii i have the problem i have some products that i want to print them in report alphabetically such as the products start from character "A" should all be under it and so on i am using office 2003 thankx Naveed You may need to use the "Grouping & Sorting" feature to get your report to do alphabetic sorting. -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. ...

how do i arrange column A (last name) in alphabetical order? t.
my phone book is in excel. how can i alphabetize by last name (column A)? thanks Click on any one last name. Then, Look for the Sort Ascending Button on the Standard Toolbar. It looks like a Blue A above a Red Z. Click that button once. --or-- Click on any cell in the phone list (such as a last name). Go to Data | Sort. Make sure it is selecting the Last Name Column in the Sort by position. Click Okay. tj "hershy" wrote: > my phone book is in excel. how can i alphabetize by last name (column A)? > > thanks I don't trust excel to guess the range to be sorted. I...

how do I sort pages inside a section by alphabet
I have 30 pages inside a section and I want it sorted alphabetically. If you're using OneNote 2007, try the Sort Pages Powertoy http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2007/02/17/sort-pages-powertoy.aspx I don't think that it can be done with out of the box ON. However, there is a power toy for this job http://www.onenotepowertoys.com/2007/02/17/sort-pages-2007/ I hope it helps "how to alphabetize" wrote: > I have 30 pages inside a section and I want it sorted alphabetically. ...

Ranking Alphabetically
I'll use a simple example... I have 5 words I need to rank in ascending order, alphabetically. Carrot Peach Apple Salad Banana I would like the rank function to produce the following results: Rank Name ------ ------- 1 Apple 2 Banana 3 Carrot 4 Peach 5 Salad How please? Many thanks. Assuming that A1:A5 contains your data, try... B1, copied down: =INDEX($A$1:$A$5,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,"<"&$A$1:$A$5),ROWS($B$1:B 1)),COUNTIF($A$1:$A$5,"<"&...