MODE #2

XL2002 SP3
Win XP HE

i have a problem with MODE function which seems to return an incorrect
value.

"MODE(number1,number2,...)

Number1, number2, ...   are 1 to 30 arguments for which you want to
calculate the mode. You can also use a single array or a reference to
an array instead of arguments separated by commas."

My array is much larger than 30 values.  Could it be the reason for the
incorrect value returned by MODE?

If so, is there an alternative function to calculate it
dynamically--without using the static ANOVA tables, etc.?

tx!

stef.bm (15)
12/7/2006 5:16:14 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

An array reference such as A1:A100 is a single argument. SO that is NOT the
problem
Have you tried it with a small dataset for which MODE can be found manually?
How do you know you are getting the wrong value?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"stef" <stef.bm@hotmail.removethis.com> wrote in message
> XL2002 SP3
> Win XP HE
>
> i have a problem with MODE function which seems to return an incorrect
> value.
>

> "MODE(number1,number2,...)
>
> Number1, number2, ...   are 1 to 30 arguments for which you want to
> calculate the mode. You can also use a single array or a reference to
> an array instead of arguments separated by commas."
>
> My array is much larger than 30 values.  Could it be the reason for the
> incorrect value returned by MODE?
>
> If so, is there an alternative function to calculate it
> dynamically--without using the static ANOVA tables, etc.?
>
> tx!

bliengme5824 (3040)
12/7/2006 5:28:03 PM
It's obvious I am getting the wrong value but if it's not the 30 data
points then I myself must be doing something wrong.

I'll have to look at it more closely on a different smaller dataset as
you suggest.

I'll post here again.  Thanks
--

Bernard Liengme wrote:

> An array reference such as A1:A100 is a single argument. SO that is
> NOT the problem Have you tried it with a small dataset for which MODE
> can be found manually?  How do you know you are getting the wrong
> value?  best wishes
0
stef.bm (15)
12/8/2006 6:05:12 AM
Want to send me (my private email address) a sample file ?
best wishes
--

> It's obvious I am getting the wrong value but if it's not the 30 data
> points then I myself must be doing something wrong.
>
> I'll have to look at it more closely on a different smaller dataset as
> you suggest.
>
> I'll post here again.  Thanks
> --
>

> Bernard Liengme wrote:
>
>> An array reference such as A1:A100 is a single argument. SO that is
>> NOT the problem Have you tried it with a small dataset for which MODE
>> can be found manually?  How do you know you are getting the wrong
>> value?  best wishes

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/8/2006 2:32:57 PM
I might.  Let me check on it 1st. Thanks for the offer.
--

Bernard Liengme wrote:

> Want to send me (my private email address) a sample file ?
> best wishes
0
stef.bm (15)

editing #2
While taking a test for Excel 7.0 I was posed the question "Perform the steps that will put you in the edit mode" Can anyone help me to know what this is asking and how to do it? Thanks!!! Press F2 or double click the cell. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "debbeb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e0c501c3f0cd$8fe24b00$a101280a@phx.gbl... > While taking a test for Excel 7.0 I was posed the > question "Perform the steps that will put you in the edit > mode" Can anyone help me to know what this is asking and > how ...

need execel formula #2
If I put letters e.g. a in b2, b in b3, a in b4. I would like to kno how to calculate the number of letters 'a' in b10, number of lette 'b' in b11,etc. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Try, B10=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B4="a")) B11=SUMPRODUCT(--(B2:B4="b")) Hope this helps! In article <kir.178sgb@excelforum-nospam.com>, kir <<kir.178sgb@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > If I put letters e.g. a in b2, b in b3, a in b4. I would like to know > how to calculate the number of letters 'a' in b10, numbe...

Forwarding to 2 recipients
Anyway I can forward a message that comes into a mailbox on to 2 alternate recipients vs the default 1 in ESM? -- Thanks create a distribution group, add the 2 recipients, assign that as the alternate/forwarding address... "Fox" <Fox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:59FD0D5A-530B-4EA8-972E-6B46207CD64E@microsoft.com... > Anyway I can forward a message that comes into a mailbox on to 2 alternate > recipients vs the default 1 in ESM? > -- > Thanks ...

How do I get docs to display in Details mode instead of idons?
When I open a folder in MS Word, in order to see the documents, I see a bunch of icons. I want to see a Details view, which shows the name and date of each document. And I don't need to see how much space it occupies. How do I set it up to do this, instead of changing the view each time? hi Leslie, You could try setting up the view as you want it & then pressing [ctrl + cancel]. I'm not sure if it will work for you, but if not, have a read of some of the suggestions listed in this search: 'settings in file open dialogbox to show details - Google Search' (h...

restoring from 2 floppy discs #2
My money data is stored on 2 floppy discs from money 2000. I wish to transfer it to a new money 2002, but when I try to restore it does not recognize my file (perhaps because it is just reading from 1?) What do you suggest? >-----Original Message----- >My money data is stored on 2 floppy discs from money >2000. I wish to transfer it to a new money 2002, but >when I try to restore it does not recognize my file >(perhaps because it is just reading from 1?) >What do you suggest? >. >I'm not sure of this but from your e-mail sounds like you are trying to do a...

Working in Cache-Mode in Outlook 2003
I notice that there is a significant delay when I have any of my users set for Cached-Mode compared to connecting directly to Exchange. Is there anyway to speed this up? Well this is the benefit of Cached Exchange mode; by not checking mail constantly you reduce network bandwidth being used. Cached Exchange mode downloads messages 30 seconds after the Exchange server notices the Outlook client of changes. Then all changes within those 30 seconds will be synchronized at once. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean...

delegates #2
Is there a way to centrally manage or at least view the delegates users have added themselves through Outlook? Not that I am aware of. Dan wrote: > Is there a way to centrally manage or at least view the delegates users have > added themselves through Outlook? > > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:08:05 -0400, "Dan" <moran_dan@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to centrally manage or at least view the delegates users have >added themselves through Outlook? > Do an LDAP search filtering on publicDelegates and publicdelegatesBL to view. ...

Paste a formula with links #2
I have this problem with excel. Lets use this example below. I created a formula that uses the link of Sheet 1,Cell A2 if it does not equal 0 and I have to paste it across almost 100 cells but everytime I do a paste special, it keeps pasting the same formula. For instance: I want Sheet 2, Cell A2 to be the link of Sheet 1, Cell A2 and be blank if Sheet 1, Cell A2 is blank, like so (=IF(Sheet1!A$2="","",Sheet1!A$2)); however, for Sheet 2, Cell A3, I want the formula to be: (=IF(Sheet1!A$3="","",Sheet1!A$3)) but everytime I paste special the formula, ...

Erreur � la fin d'installation du CRM1.2
Bonjour je rencontre un probl�me lors de l'installation de CRM 1.2 sur un serveur windows 2003 membre d'un domaine natif 2003. l'installation progresse normalement jusqu'� la derni�re �tape puis sort le message d'erreur suivant : - Le programme d'installation n'a pas pu installer Microsoft CRM Server. - Le programme d'installation n'a pas pu approvisionner votre organisation. - Le programme d'installation n'a pas pu cr�er la licence d'installation. Le Serveur n'est pas op�rationnel (8007203A) Si je l'installe sur un nouveau domaine clea...

comparing two spread sheets #2
In spread sheet "A" and "B" the last names are in column B and first names are in column C. I want EXCEL to tell me if the names (a name consist of a last and first name) on spread sheet "B" or in spread sheet "A" spread sheet "A" may or may not already contain the names in spread sheet "B". How do you do this is EXCEL? Hi one way: enter the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) in column D of spreasheet A: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(1,('sheetB'!$B$1:$B$1000=B1)*('sheetB'!$C$1:$C$1000=C1), 0)),"not in s...

Report Format changes after leaving design mode
I've just about finished setting up a new report, except for one field. It is meant to be located between two thick vertical lines, and under another label/text set. No matter what I do, the preview version puts this data and label (a date) at the bottom of that record's section, near the bottom line of data. I have seavel text boxes set up to to display data from seavel different fields below one another, without leaving gaps, one of which is large enough to change the vertical size of the record. the problem seems to be related to this text, but if that is true or how it is related, ...

Change Fiscal Periods #2
Using GP 9 and the fiscal year ends 10/31. Changing the Fiscal year to a calendar year starting 1/1/08. What is the best way to handle in GP and are there any potential issues with doing this? Thanks You have two options. 1. If the current year started 11/1, you can extend it two months and have a 14 month year ending 12/31/2008. If the current year is named 2008, this is your best option. 2. If you cant do that and MUST restart a fiscal year 1/1/2008, then first shorten the current year to 2 months and create a new year. If the current year being shortened is named 2008, you...

Group #2
I am using office 2007. I have my contacts and want to start a new group listed as contractors. I type the new group as contarctors but when I go to put anyting in there, the group doesn't open up in order to put something in there. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong What is a group? Outlook uses no such term. We have no idea what your definition of it is. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14227ADE-881F-488F-8A6E-0F948A12E3EA@microsoft.com... >I am using office 2007. I have my contacts and want to star...

VBA Macro for font styles #2
I'm trying to do this within the same macro, so I shouldn't hav problems with the variable disappearing. All my macro is trying to do is the following: When I press ctrl+shift+O, the style of the selection changes to on thing. When I press it again, it changes to something else. Once cycle through the four options and I press it again, it just gives m back what was there originally and the cycle starts over. The macro is not complicated at all. I guess I just need a functio that returns the font style of the current selection, but I haven' been able to find one yet. Can an...

error C2143 #2
I'm getting these error messages when I try to build. I haven't edited the header file and don't see anything wrong. Does anyone know what is going on here? I get the error in both places where there is a #include "errorDoalog.h". Error messages at bottom. Thanks Mike #if !defined(AFX_ERRORDIALOG_H__9F80CB41_32F3_11D9_811C_000C41E9C262__INCLUDED_) #define AFX_ERRORDIALOG_H__9F80CB41_32F3_11D9_811C_000C41E9C262__INCLUDED_ #if _MSC_VER > 1000 #pragma once #endif // _MSC_VER > 1000 // errorDialog.h : header file // //////////////////////////////////////////////...

Sending Pictures #2
I am unable to send picture attachments through outlook or outlook express. All other attachment are OK and this is a recent problem as I used to be able to send them OK. The only system change I have made is a new internal modem. The pictures are saved as JPEG files approx 90KB in size. Hope someone can help find a solution for me as my ISP and Microsoft seem unable to help. Andrew What happens when you send them ? Is the entire message stopped or is it stripped of the JPG file ? Some ISP's have a problem with JPEG's., but never heard of one with JPG's unless they are to...

STANDBY mode
Hi how to put the database to standby mode for log shipping: *** Error: The restore operation cannot proceed because the secondary database 'mydatabase' is not in NORECOVERY/STANDBY mode.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) Thanks... You can't. I.e., you need to re-do a prior database restore and get going from there. -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi <someone@js.com> wrote in message news:#ww1cVQpKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi how to put the dat...

Text wrap #2
I am trying to enter text into a cell. Not all the text is wrapping. Is there a limit on how much text you can enter that will wrap and is there something I can do to change that? After about 1000 characters text will no longer wrap. You cannot change this limitation. A possible workaround is to use a textbox (from the Drawing toolbar) on a worksheet instead of a worksheet cell. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

owa issues #2
I just installed exchage 2003 and im unable to get into owa over the internet. i can hit by going to http:\\<exc server name>\exhcange. but thats enternally. but out side of the network i dont know what to hit as far as url. im sure im need to set up something on the iis with the address, but what ? And once i find that out .. how can i modify the url to something else instead of the default...... In your firewall, open up port 80 to the internal IP of the Exchange server (although it's better to use SSL and open up port 443 instead). Then from the outside, try http://xxx...

Adding time #2
I am trying to add time and I am having some difficulties finding a way to format my numbers to be on a time scale. Example: John worked Monday 8.02 Tuesday 8.0 Wednesday 8.54 Thursday 8.09 Friday 7.59 This would total to 41.04 hours for the week but if I try to add this on Excel it is using the number scale of 100 instead of a time scale of 60 so I am getting a total of 40.24. Is there any way to format this to add it correctly?? >Monday 8.02 Is 8.02 supposed to be 8 hours and 2 minutes? If so, why don't you just enter those values as *time*: 8:02 8:00 8:54 8:09 7:59 =SUM...

Problem with a rule in cached Exchange mode?
Office Outlook 2003 SP2, running in cached Exchange mode, with Business Contact Manager. My messages are categorised by a rule as they arrive depending upon the account through which they were received. If I respond to email as it arrives, a message appears in the grey notification area of the original message (between the toolbar and the from field) saying: "You made changes to another copy of this item. This is the most recent version. Click here to see other versions." If I click to see other versions, a version which has noted the fact that I've replied to the messa...

ActiveSync #2
Is there anyway to sync a mailbox folder that is not my inbox with activesync, using Outlook XP and Pocket PC 2003? With ActiveSync 3.7.1 you can go to Options | Settings and select which mail folders you want sync'd. I use it to sync some of my Outlook 2003 subfolders to my Dell Axim. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Matt" <mattmied@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:022201c3b850$7e...

Run mode/design mode
When building an ActiveX control that can be used from within Visual Basic, is there any way of telling whether the user has got it in design mode or run mode? The project I am working on is windowless and has several features that only work in run mode. It doesn't crash when it tries to do these features while in design mode, so it is acceptable, but I would like it to be a little more informative and 'clever looking', besides it is wasting processor resource nontheless. So does anyone know of a way of finding out what mode it is in? I've tried checking to see if m_h...

serial numbers on labels #2
Many of my items have serial numbers. To recieve these items on a PO I enter in the unique serial numbers. When I try to make labels, the serial numbers do not appear. Have they fixed this glitch yet? you can get them to print on the labels, but it must be done with a certain work flow. The exact method escapes me. Try printing from a PO, try printing using the wizard, etc... "irene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0f6f01c50fa3$9afa54b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Many of my items have serial numbers. > To recieve these items on a PO I enter...

Cost Center #2
Hi, I want to manage Cost Centers in GP , How? Thanks, I assume you are referring to one of the account segments that make up the full GL account number. You can edit / maintain the segments under the Setup -> Financials->Segments. You can change the name after you have created an account with that segment number. Steve "Amdawi" wrote: > Hi, > I want to manage Cost Centers in GP , How? > Thanks, > > ...