Mix-up numbers

I have a list of numbers on a spread sheet. 1-100. I would like to randomly
mix them up. Is there a function to do this?
..
..
..
100

Like
..
..
..
1
Thanks! Jeff
0
Jeff1 (635)
1/24/2008 11:34:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:34:01 -0800 from Jeff
<Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com>:
> I have a list of numbers on a spread sheet. 1-100. I would like to randomly
> mix them up. Is there a function to do this?

I don't believe there's a one-step way, but here's what I would do. I
assume your numbers are in A1:A100; make appropriate adjustments for
their actual location.

1. In C1, type  =RAND()
2. Click and drag C1:C100 to fill the cells with the formulas.
3. Highlight C1:C100, Edit | Copy.
4. Highlight B1:B100, Edit | Paste Special and select Values.
(This ensures that the random numbers won't change during the sort.
It might be an unnecessary precaution, but does no harm.)
5. Highlight A1:B100, Data | Sort, sort Ascending on Column B. Make
sure "No header row" is selected.
6. Delete columns B and C.

If you just wanted 100 random integers, that's easy enough with
	=1+int(100*rand())
But it looks like you want to ensure all 100 integers are in the
list, with no duplicates. That's what makes the extra work.

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
been my life work."  -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

Session mix-up issue
We ran into a strange issue 2 days back in our client's production environment. A remote user, logs in and finds out that the data available in the web page are from a different user. The client environement is having ..net 3.5 running on Windows 2003 server connected to an Oracle 10g DB. The web server is on NLB and in a DMZ. The sessions are maintained In proc. We analysed the IIS logs and the network logs for that duration and were not able to conclude if this was a security issue or a genuine application related issue. Request your inputs in solving this issue. Ben...

counting the number of times shown
I am trying to figure out a way to put a numerical value next to the id that is shown, suggestions? ex: ID This is what I am hoping to get to show up in the next column 55 1 55 2 37 1 46 1 62 1 55 3 89 1 82 1 Hi With ID in column A, insert this formula in B2 and copy it down as required: =COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2) Regards, Per "klh84" <klh84@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:14D13B5C-FEE8-4489-B91E-AC65F2ABB090@microsoft.com... > I am trying to figure out a way to put a numerical value next to the id > th...

text to number
I have a numbers in a feild in an excell sheet that I need to change from text to number so I can use the field in a query in Access Show some examples of the text. If they are all numerical characters, you could use something like the CDbl function to change them to numbers. If the numerical characters are at the beginning of the string, something like a street address of 123 Main St., then you can use the Val function to extract the leading numbers. If the numerical characters are spread around in the string, that can be a problem. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access ...

Formatting (General to Number)
Does anyone know if there is a way to change the number formatting from General to Number in one shot? I have an entire column that is in general formatting, and I need to use a COUNTIF with a Greater Than function. Since its in General formatting it does not work. If I change all the cells formatting to NUMBER it still doesn't work. The only way it works is if I change the formatting to NUMBER and reinput the numbers. I have tons of worksheets with thousands of rows, there has to be an easier way. Thanks for any help you can provide. Tom tomr98@hotmail.com ps. I need to maintain the num...

Delete accounts numbers ftom the chart of accounts
I would like to know how to delete or reset my accounts number in the chart of accounts in once in Microsoft Accounting profesional 2008 MA, this is a GP forum. You might want to try a MAP forum. Good luck, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com ...

excel
how do I keep 16 digit numbers as text in excel? I format the cells as text ahead of time but when I cut and paste the numbers in the last digit is converted to a zero and it is displayed in scientific notation. Paste Specials Values "Thuferhawat" <Thuferhawat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCAC05B-CDA2-42B5-9A49-FEFBA06CC73F@microsoft.com... : how do I keep 16 digit numbers as text in excel? : I format the cells as text ahead of time but when I cut and paste the : numbers in the last digit is converted to a zero and it is displayed in : scientific notati...

no number 1
I came across a program for generating Lottery numbers and tried adapting it for the game we play which has 15 games with 6 of 45 numbers per sheet, but unfortunately I can''t find it again in the Excel forum The formula entered at *A1* and dragged across & down to *F15* was: =INDEX(ROW($B2:$B41),RANK(I2,$I2:$AL2)) At *H1* the formula entered and dragged across & down to *AK15* was *=RAND()*, I found that by putting more than 30 columns it generated numbers higher than 45 This program will generate random numbers 2 to 45 but I can't get it to bring up a 1.. re calculates...

Can I take a NUMBER from a cell that also has text in it and sum it?
I made a survey but realised too late that I have A NUMBER ( like 2) and TEXT in the same cell. I now want to SUM up the cell, but saw that it doesn't work. Is there a way to format the cell or to just take the number and add it ignoring the text? This is a common problem with data and one solution is to have a column or two that extracts the various parts of a string into the format required. If it is a oncer then paste the data into a new column and perform a Data>text to columns operation. You will get options about how to split the data. But if the data is to be upda...

Pasting numbers doesn't format them as numbers
Howdy We have a web app that we run reports from. THe reports are just numerical data in table format. We then put this information into Excel to do totally, charts, etc. THe problem is that when we highlight the data in IE5.5 and paste it into Excel 2k, while everything looks like it works fine, none of the numbers can be totalled or done math with. Even if we select the cells and manually go to Format / Cells / Number, if still doesn't do anything when we try to do a summation or any other calculations Anyone have any idea why it would do this? We have a sort of workaround by copy...

How do I produce a number in parentheses?
I'm trying to produce a series of percentage numbers in parentheses, like this, (29.5%). But Excel forces a negative format value on it. How can I produce what I want? For display purposes, if you type 29.5 in a cell, you can format it Custom with "("#.#"%)" It will show as (29.5%) but the actual value will be 29.5 Vaya con Dios, Chuck CABGx3 "Carter Devereaux" <CarterDevereaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85410840-4822-4E5B-AA0E-F5B365B90809@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to produce a series of percentage numbers in p...

Number formatting: General + separator?
I would like to format cells so the numbers are displayed like the general format but with the thousands separator. I can't figure out how to insert the thousands separator without fixing the number of decimal places. For instance, I would like =1000*pi() to display as 3,141.59265 (showing as many decimal places as will fit in the cell). I would like =10 to display as 10 . Thanks for any hints. I don't think you can do this with a number format, but you can do it with a formula like: =TEXT(A1,"#,##0")&IF(A1=TRUNC(A1),"",&qu...

Graphing only even/odd numbered cells
Is it possible to graph only the even (or odd) cells. For example- I have information only in A2, A4, A6, A8 etc. but cells A3, A5, A7, A9 are NULL. Therefore, instead of manually dragging the information from the even numbered cells and forming a continuous column, is it possible to form a graph of jsut the even numbered cells of that column? Thanks, -- gantzlia ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gantzlia's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30067 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threa...

.MIX files
I have several .MIX files (Microsoft Photo Draw) that were sent to me. Are there any other Microsoft programs that can read these files ?? I tried to even insert them into MS Word (XP version) but I have received errors everytime I try. Windows XP will preview in a window but I cannot import them into any application ! ...

Random Number between two fields
I need to know if this is possible i want to get a random number generated between two figures. Example. A1 = 20 B1 = 30 C1 = i want this figure to be a random number between cell A1 and B1 i.e 24 Thank you. --------- www.coffeecozy.com Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good! If you want an integer: =MIN($A$1,$B$1)+INT(RAND()*(MAX($A$1,$B$1)-MIN($A$1,$B$1)+1)) HTH, Bernd Another way is to use RANDBETWEEN() For example: =RANDBETWEEN(A1,B1) would generate random integers between and inclusive of the values in A1 and B1 Note that RANDBETWEEN requires the Analysis Toolpak* be ...

my page numbers are the same
I am typing an APA paper, all of my page numbers are the same in the header. How do I fix that? Don't type a number in the header; insert a PAGE field using the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar or the corresponding button on the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab in Word 2007. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Waiithog" <Waiithog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:855DB4FD-88CA-4477-BC0E-C9E6361760BA@microsoft.com... >I am t...

how can I reduce the number of pages needed to print a document
I am new to Word(previously used Word Perfect). WP had a feature called "make it fit" which allowed you to take let's say a 3 page document and put in the command reduce to 2 pages. It would automatically change the type size and/or margins as needed so that you now had a 2 page document ready to print. Does Word have an equivalent feature? Thanks for any help. Yes, but see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "KJHarris" <KJHarr...

error number ox800cccof
i've been getting this error number when i try to send and receive emails on outlook along with this message: "tcp/ip connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server". can anyone help me fix this problem? ...

numbering right and left pages independently
Thanks to anyone who can help. Project: Training Instructors Guide. Left pages are instructor's notes. Right pages are pages from participant's guide. Issue: Left pages should number sequentially i, ii, iii, iv, etc. Right pages should number sequentially 1, 2, 3, 4, as they are in the participant's guide. Can't find a way to do this in the Help files. Of course I need the answer yesterday. Thanks again. Manually... Hopefully your manual isn't too long. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "pea...

More Outlook bugs... Rules are mixing up accounts!
*sigh* WHY do the rules in Outlook 2003 keep changing the accounts they are to apply to. ie. "When message arrives through MYACCOUNT@HERE.COM move it to the MYACCOUNT folder." ....changes to... "When message arrives through ANOTHERACCOUNT@HERE.COM move it to MYACCOUNT folder." - These rules were manually entered by me, not imported from OE6. - This is a fresh installation of Win XP Pro SP1 - Only action in OE6 was to import the old email account settings and contents through the Transfer Settings Wizard. The Outlook 2003 was installed and account info imported. If I fix...

reformatting numbering of auto-numbered lists
I'm copyediting a medical book containing hundreds of short auto-numbered lists (1-10 items length). Each number is currently followed by a period which I'm required to remove throughout the document. I wonder if anyone can come up with a macro to automate the process and save the tedium of having to do each list manually. I've already tried F&R and found that it handles only the manually-numbered items not the auto-numbers. Thiers Use ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText to convert the auto-numbers to text. You can then use F&R. -- Hope this he...

Negative numbers #10
I have a report that I import into Excel and it displays negative numbers with the sign to the right of the number (example: 8.8-). I would like the number to be negative so I can use it. Can anyone help? Thanks Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/postfixnegatives.html In article <76BCFDD1-B997-43C8-9BD7-2A3A5F16989A@microsoft.com>, "slot guy" <slotguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a report that I import into Excel and it displays negative numbers > with the sign to the right of the number (example: 8.8-). I would like the >...

I have a column of 32 numbers,
some negative, some positive. They are paired. I have 16 pair. I neeId help with a formula that will give me the difference between the two numbers. 4 -11 I need a total of 15 -10 2 I need a total of 12. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Assuming your data starts in A1, put this in B2: =3DIF(MOD(ROW(A1),2)=3D0,"",ABS(A2-A1)) and copy down as far as required. Hope this helps. Pete On Dec 2, 3:31=A0pm, Skip <ssum...@live.com> wrote: > some negative, some positive. =A0They are paired. I have 16 pair. I > neeId he...

fibonacci numbers
how do i use fibonaci numbers in the stock market 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, ... Do a web search on 'fibonacci stock market'. Your question has nothing to do with any particular Microsoft product. -- macropod "Vijay" <Vijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5324CBCD-61E5-43EF-893F-F34A9A949421@microsoft.com... | how do i use fibonaci numbers in the stock market ...

extract numbers, convert to date
I imported a comma delimined .txt file into Excel. One column is formated (for example) 070794MEFKMAG. This is a person's birthday (mmddyy) and then parts of their name. I want to extract the birthdate numbers, convert them to a date and subtract that date from todays date. I've been able to extract the numbers [=MID(A12,ROW($1:$9),6)] giving me 070794, but haven't been able to convert them to any date that makes sense. Any suggestions I used the following formula =TODAY() - CONCATENATE(MID(F11,1,2),"/",MID(F11,3,2),"/",MID(F11,5,2)) F11 = 070794 I h...

Mixed Icons
I created an application with Visual Studio 2005 under Vista and changed the only icon that the wizard created. When the app runs, the correct icon appears in the task bar and also if I click properties. However, the default icons appear on the quick lanch toolbar and in Windows Explorer. I read through about a years worth of messages on icons, but didn't see anything exactly like my problem. Thanks for any help, Curt You will want to make sure that the default icon is the first one in the EXE and that it has both a large and small icon (and 48x48 if you are specifying for XP or Vist...