Might be asking too much

I am using excel to track day to day project hours on a bi-weekly interval.
In the cell where I am entering my time I am also adding comments as to what
work was done during that time.  What I would like to do is figure out a way
that I can extract the comments out to print.  Now I know that I can print
them at the end of the layout which is essentially what I want, but the way
it defaults the printing is by calling out the cell name i.e. (c24) then the
comment.  The problem is that I have no way of know which cell that is.  so
what I would like to do is basically set up a layout myself that would
adjust everything the way I would like to see it, and the way I would like
to see it is to have the project name, date, hours worked, and comment in a
row.  Is this a feasible request or am I starting to leave the jurisdiction
of excel.  I know that I can get software that does exactly what I am
wanting, but if there is a way to do this without buying additional stuff
then that would be great.  Thanks for the help

HT

0
ditsoccer (1)
1/4/2006 8:48:38 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

HT,
IMHO, if you go to www.openoffice.org, then you will find what you need. The
Open Office suite includes a database (have't used it yet myself), and its
free.

Beege

"HT" <ditsoccer@juno.com> wrote in message
>I am using excel to track day to day project hours on a bi-weekly interval.
>In the cell where I am entering my time I am also adding comments as to
>what work was done during that time.  What I would like to do is figure out
>a way that I can extract the comments out to print.  Now I know that I can
>print them at the end of the layout which is essentially what I want, but
>the way it defaults the printing is by calling out the cell name i.e. (c24)
>then the comment.  The problem is that I have no way of know which cell
>that is.  so what I would like to do is basically set up a layout myself
>that would adjust everything the way I would like to see it, and the way I
>would like to see it is to have the project name, date, hours worked, and
>comment in a row.  Is this a feasible request or am I starting to leave the
>jurisdiction of excel.  I know that I can get software that does exactly
>what I am wanting, but if there is a way to do this without buying
>additional stuff then that would be great.  Thanks for the help
>
> HT

0
bwgilman1 (10)
1/4/2006 9:06:39 PM
This should find your comments addresses

Sub findcomments()
 Set mycomments = Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeComments)
 for Each c In myComments
  msgbox c.Address
 Next
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"HT" <ditsoccer@juno.com> wrote in message
>I am using excel to track day to day project hours on a bi-weekly interval.
>In the cell where I am entering my time I am also adding comments as to
>what work was done during that time.  What I would like to do is figure out
>a way that I can extract the comments out to print.  Now I know that I can
>print them at the end of the layout which is essentially what I want, but
>the way it defaults the printing is by calling out the cell name i.e. (c24)
>then the comment.  The problem is that I have no way of know which cell
>that is.  so what I would like to do is basically set up a layout myself
>that would adjust everything the way I would like to see it, and the way I
>would like to see it is to have the project name, date, hours worked, and
>comment in a row.  Is this a feasible request or am I starting to leave the
>jurisdiction of excel.  I know that I can get software that does exactly
>what I am wanting, but if there is a way to do this without buying
>additional stuff then that would be great.  Thanks for the help
>
> HT

0
dguillett1 (2487)

Excel2000 keeps asking me to save when no changes were made
Excel2000 keeps asking me to save when no changes were made. This only happens on a few workbooks and has only been hapening the past 4 months. As time goes on it is happening more frequently. Ran Norton Anti-Virus, no viruses detected. Ran Spyware software, no problems there either. Have you got any of the following volatile functions in your workbook, as the existence of any of these will cause that message, because that function is recalculated every time you open the workbook, and as far as Excel is concerned that is a change. Most common one I would suggest is the TODAY() function. ...

Installer might need to close programs, an open program is csrss.e
I have Windows Vista and when I try to install the latest Windows Live Messenger, the installer says that open programs may conflict with the installation, and on the list of open programs is csrss.exe. The installer says that if I choose to ignore open programs, the installer may close them anyway during the installation. Isn't csrss.exe essential to running Windows? If I tell it to ignore open programs, will the installer close csrss.exe? Thank you! Greetings, See your other post (this came through twice). -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MS...

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

"The specified Account was not found. It might have been deleted."
I recieve this error message when trying to move any of my 9 Pop3 accounts or 3 Hotmail accounts up or down with in the email heirarchy. The accounts all exist and all can be modifiedl. All can send or receive. They can be deleted and readded to the system. The error message persists. This is a laptop running XPSP2 Outlook 2003 with all patches applied. How can I get these accounts to reorder properly? Rikk What is so important about the order? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal ...

Query ask for parameter value?
Hi, I biult a query from another one. When I run the query, Access keep ask the value of M and F. When I click OK I get the result that I want. Is there a way to tell Access not to display dialog asking for value of M and F? SELECT NumberOfCitizenSpeakingByQuarter.Quaters, Sum(NumberOfCitizenSpeakingByQuarter.[Meeting Observed]) AS [Meeting Observed], Sum(NumberOfCitizenSpeakingByQuarter.Male) AS M, Sum(NumberOfCitizenSpeakingByQuarter.Female) AS F, [M]/[Meeting Observed] AS [Avg Male], [F]/[Meeting Observed] AS [Avg Female] FROM NumberOfCitizenSpeakingByQuarter GROUP BY Nu...

Asking for password over and over again Regedt does not help
Suddenly Outlook 2002 is asking for username and password for all my alias when it is searching for new mail from my internet provider accounts (not msn). The password is pre-typed, but I have to chech the "Remember password" box and click OK everytime (more than once every 5min). Did clear the Regedt script but it did not help. What to do? Using XP Pro Eng and Outlook 2002 from my home computer, no network, but LAN for Internet access. NOTE: HAVE TRIED THE FOLLOWING WITH NO RESULT! For all Outlook versions on Windows XP (just ignore the parts that refer to Outlook Express)...

outlook should ask me choice which mails to download
Many a times I get frustrated when I need to wait whole mails to download before I could respond. Many a times I roam around and I need to check mails with my USB somewhat slower modem to check/send or receive mails. Sometimes I found a mail with huge attachment of 10+MB and I need to wait it to land in my INBOX before some very important mail I need to check and reply. If Outlook can give me choice (when I am roaming) displaying a list of new mails available with check boxes, and I will just check those boxes which I feel important. Those mails only be downloaded first and rest ...

Money 2000 backup file asks for password to restore
Hi, I recently had to format my hard drive, of course before I did, I made backups of everything so I could restore all my stuff. I did this with Money. I backed up, and then copied the backup file to my external hard drive. Once my computer was back up and running, I re-installed Money 2000 and copies and pasted the backup file back into my computer, in the same place Money places backup files. But when I try to restore the backup, it asks me for a password. It does this whether I try to restore it from my external drive, or from my computer. Now, I did use a password to open up mo...

might be simple, might be complex
Hi there I have a question, answer to which might be simple or complex, I don't know. I have one exchange 2000 server which is authorative for my email domain, this is the only server on the network, i.e. windows 2000 server with AD, exchange 2000 running on it. Now, I am going to add another exchange server, and want to make the new server authorative. For that , do I not need to make first one unauthorative first and then make the new server authorative? If so, please let me know how to make an authorative server unauthorative? Please help. Dhaval Hi, In your System Manager u...

Outlook asking for Network Password
When I sync (or schedule sync) my Inbox to collect mail for myself and my wife (separate e-mail addresses on same BTopenworld account) I regularly get prompted to Enter Network Password. The dialogue box is already completed with Server, Username and Password and all I have to do is "OK" and sync proceeds. Checking the "Save Password" box achieves nothing. This has always happened since subscribing to BTopenworld, but has been getting more frequent and sometimes asks for password several times within the same sync. Anyone know why this happens and what to do a...

how to bypass password asking
Hi Community! We have a very enerving problem with Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000. Please help us if you can! Exchange is in domain_1 Client with is in domain_2 when client wants to download his mails from Exchange in dom_1 he has to type his password. This Dialogbox (with Username, domain and password) appears 5 or 6 times until it's possible to see the mails. No diffrence between Outlook Webaccess or normal outlook. How can I bypass these password requests? We managed to fix the User and the domain, but Password always has to be retyped. Please help! Bye It sounds like a secu...

Word cannot open this document. The document might be in use or might not be a valid Word document

OS Might Be Corrupt
I have enough problems with my system that it might be corrupt - in more than one place. This is just a guess. However, I have over 100 apps installed and would hate to have to reinstall all of them with their specific settings. 1. How can I tell if my system IS corrupt? 2. If it is, what is the EASIEST way to get back to where I was before it became corrupt? 3. Is there a way to un-corrupt my system without reformatting and reinstalling the OS? I've been very careful to install only legitimate software and I've faithfully run anti-malware programs and Norton Internet ...

outlook keeps asking for password even it is populated
Do you need paid yahoo on outlook in Canada? It keeps asking me for password even it has populated the box, and then it won't send mail. There is apdate available from microsoft WindowsXP-KB904942-v2-x86-ENU.exe "Wasu" wrote: > Do you need paid yahoo on outlook in Canada? It keeps asking me for password > even it has populated the box, and then it won't send mail. ...

Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting?
Help! What might happen if Excel spends a lot of time pasting? Hi all, I just don't understand this. I don't know ever since when, my Excel is so slow, esp. when I copy and paste. When I copy from one book, and paste to another book, the very instant when I enter "ctrl+v" to paste... the whole Excel freezes and my CPU usage went to 100%... The whole program is not responding any more. Can anybody help? Thanks! What kind of things are you trying to copy and paste, is it just a few cells, or is it an entire sheet, webpage, etc? I'd imagine that you might have a ...

This might not seem like an Excel problem ...
But, since it only occurs within Excel, I thought I'd start here. When I click on 'Save As ...' , the dialog box pops up. OK so far :) When I click on the 'Up Arrow' icon to go to the parent directory, nothing happens. Same for other icons. They seem to be disabled Fortunately, the directory list box is active so I can navigate using that. This ONLY happens from within Excel (2000). Is this a 'known' problem? If not, any suggestions on what newsgroup to try next. Roger -- +AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9AD0APQA9...

Word cannot open this document. The document might be in use or might not be a vaid Word document."
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel There appears to NOT be a fix for this error: Word cannot open this document. The document might be in use or might not be a vaid Word document. I'm on a MacBookPro 10.5.8. The only thing I have loaded lately was some conversion software that converts a .docx to something I can read. HELP....I tried emailing it to myself and I cannot even see the QUICK LOOK. Hmmm... Microsoft distributes a free converter for Word 2004 that enables it to read and write .docx format. If you have not installed that appl...

"Ask always before opening this file type" cannot be unchecked
Windows Vista Ultimate, Outlook 2007, no Google desktop installed The following issue: When trying to open or save an attachment (word, excel, powerpoint), you get a dialogue box asking whether you want to save/open the file. In the last line, there is a checkbox "Ask always before opening this file type". This checkbox is gray, and cannot be unchecked (view here: http://www.poetzsch-consulting.de/test/Nachfrage.jpg). Strange enough, this issue ocurrs with all attachments, except pdfs. For pdfs, for instance, the box can be unchecked. How the box can be made accessable? Any c...

Password not being asked
HI, My outlook.pst has been set with the password in MSO2K. But the file opens fine without asking for the password when I open Outlook. When I copy the file to another system, it works fine there .. ie., I am prompted for the password. Changing the password does not make any difference either. I am able to change the password but it still not asked for. What could be the problem with my Outlook? Thanks for any help Ramesh ...

List box asks for parameter when I do DoCmd.Close
I have a form for taking questions in a questionnaire. There is a list box on the form which shows possible choices based on the question number which is in another text box. The question number is referenced in the list box's data source query in the form Forms!frmSurvey!txtQuestionno. It works except when I do a DoCmd.Close on the form I get a popup asking me for the parameter value Forms!frmSurvey!txtQuestionno. This does not happen when I click on the X to close the form. Why am I getting a parameter popup on DoCmd.Close and how can I get rid of it? Robert zie: http:/...

Microsoft Office Outlook Connector keeps asking me to log in?
Just in the last few days, Microsoft Office Outlook Connector keeps asking me to log in constantly? I never had to log in repeatedly before, but in the last three days, I have had to log in every time I hit Send/Receive. I use hotmail with my Outlook 2007. I have a new Blackberry smartphone that gets my email as well. Is that interfering? I don't even think I can log into Outlook Connector when away from my desktop, so it might make it impossible to get emails when I am on the road. Darin ...

folders & documents now delete without asking if sure
When I delete a word/excel folder or word/excel document it deletes without the warning asking if I'm sure I want to delete. How can I reactivate the warning? I like that protection. It worked for years until I reinstalled Office 2002 XP Pro after a PC restore. thank YOU -- Gene "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D5E7019-9609-4C8D-9192-CD1D0F22B8B2@microsoft.com... > When I delete a word/excel folder or word/excel document it deletes > without > the warning asking if I'm sure I want to delete. > > How...

Strange OWA logoff behavior, asking to authenticate again...!
Hey I have strange problem, on my test environment everything is working fine, but in the production environment when you hit the log off button in OWA, it asks for authentication just like when you logon... ! Anyone who knows why this might be happening? TIA!! / Per "Per Hagstrom" <poh@charter.NOSPAMnet> wrote: >Hey I have strange problem, on my test environment everything is working >fine, but in the production environment when you hit the log off button in >OWA, it asks for authentication just like when you logon... ! > >Anyone who knows why this ...

keep value from last update and don't ask to update links
I have a spreadsheetE that refers to a spreadsheetC on my C drive. SpreadsheetC has all of the information for all of the employees. SpreadsheetE links to SpreadsheetC only for that employee's information. When I email SpreadsheetE to keep the values when I email them, don't ask to update links. One simple way would be to have the employee say NO to update links. But in the instance that the employee has this option automatic, that employee will get a VALUE# error because I am using functions such as COUNTIF, etc. Is there a way to have SpreadsheetE keep the value as I ema...

This Might Seem Random
My Boss asked me to make something into Front Page so he can show Tech Support what he wants done. My experance with Front Page I published it onto a website in order to view it. Is there a way to view the webpage without publishing it or can anyone suggest a free web server that I can Post it onto to display it? File / Preview in Browser "AlexaRedCross" wrote: > My Boss asked me to make something into Front Page so he can show Tech > Support what he wants done. My experance with Front Page I published it onto > a website in order to view it. Is there...