Microsoft Query: Parameter Query?

Hi,

In Excel I have a connection to a database. This connection uses a Query. In
this query I want to add parameters that will change. For instance, I want
the query to return only rows of data between a 'start' and a 'finish' date.
How can I accomplish that?

Microsoft Help talks over "parameter query (parameter query: A type of query
that, when you run it, prompts for values (criteria) to use to select the
records for the result set so that the same query can be used to retrieve
different result sets.)." I could not find where or how I can accomplish that.

Abel.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I found the Parameters button. But it is greyed out. So I can't use it.

I followed the instructions in the Microsoft article
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP102161131033.aspx

Next to a
- Edit Query... button
I see a greyed out
- Paramaters button.

What can I do to be able to use this button?

"Abel MacAdam" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Excel I have a connection to a database. This connection uses a Query. In
> this query I want to add parameters that will change. For instance, I want
> the query to return only rows of data between a 'start' and a 'finish' date.
> How can I accomplish that?
>
> Microsoft Help talks over "parameter query (parameter query: A type of query
> that, when you run it, prompts for values (criteria) to use to select the
> records for the result set so that the same query can be used to retrieve
> different result sets.)." I could not find where or how I can accomplish that.
>
> Abel.
Answering my own questions <%-{

In my query, I had something like:
WHERE start <= T.Created
    AND T.Created <= finish

Excel complained it dit not know start (and finish). But when I entered
question marks, like
WHERE ? <= T.Created
    AND T.Created <= ?
I could enter the Parameters, and Excel asked my to input the required
dates. Now I only have a problem with the format of the dates.

"Abel MacAdam" wrote:

> I found the Parameters button. But it is greyed out. So I can't use it.
>
> I followed the instructions in the Microsoft article
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP102161131033.aspx
>
> Next to a
> - Edit Query... button
> I see a greyed out
> - Paramaters button.
>
> What can I do to be able to use this button?
>
> "Abel MacAdam" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In Excel I have a connection to a database. This connection uses a Query. In
> > this query I want to add parameters that will change. For instance, I want
> > the query to return only rows of data between a 'start' and a 'finish' date.
> > How can I accomplish that?
> >
> > Microsoft Help talks over "parameter query (parameter query: A type of query
> > that, when you run it, prompts for values (criteria) to use to select the
> > records for the result set so that the same query can be used to retrieve
> > different result sets.)." I could not find where or how I can accomplish that.
> >
> > Abel.

Microsoft outlook express 6 #2
I am currently using microsoft outlook express 6 and i have gone to tools then options and looked for the notification for new email. However there is not one located in here? Does Microsoft offer something like this? Thanks enascarblack3@gmail.com <enascarblack3@gmail.com> wrote: > I am currently using microsoft outlook express 6 and i have gone to > tools then options and looked for the notification for new email. > However there is not one located in here? Does Microsoft offer > something like this? Thanks Wrong newsgroup. Use news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.pub...

Microsoft 2007 crashing on a Access 2003 form.
Has anyone experienced a problem with Access 2003 forms which contain another subform causing the Access application to crash when opened with Access 2007? Lance, there are several possible issues that could trigger this. Examples: - A decompile would certainly be worth while. - Name AutoCorrect can cause this kind of problem. - Programmatically assigning the Control Source of controls. - A subform control where LinkMasterFields or LinkChildFields refers to an AccessObject (i.e. a field, not a control) Any of these apply? -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tip...

When you import a Microsoft access field into Microsoft word, the
I have written code that exports table fields into a word document, directly into fields in the word document. When the access field is > 255 characters i insert a chr(13)&(Chr10) to split the data across multiple word fields Looks great in access, but when i look at the data in word it has that dreaded square graphic in the field (in word) where the charriage return/line feed is,, how do i get rid of this (the data is at it should be in wiord except for the sqaure graphic??? Patrick Hi, you have to replace chr(13)&(Chr10) with Chr(11), use can a select qu...

Learn Microsoft Money
Hi, I have a friend who is quite elderly and she wants to try to put all her investments in the Money 2003 program that is on her computer. She has Mutual Funds, Money Markets, Stocks, Bonds, etc. I really don't know anything about the Money Program so I can help her. Do you know where I can get some information on the Money Program so I can help her and myself get her started. Jean money is a problematic program , i suggest a spreadshhet, and let Bill Gates eat rice a roni for a while "Jean Larson" <plarson3@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:KExuc.16980$w3...

Microsoft Tries to Avoid Windows Blue Screen Repeat
< I am definitely fearful of Windows Updates. I do a manual creating a Restore before doing an update. My other laptop is still down from the damage of KB977165.> -- Microsoft Tries to Avoid Windows Blue Screen Repeat Gregg Keizer Apr 14, 2010 5:09 am http://www.pcworld.com/article/194205/microsoft_tries_to_avoid_windows_blue_screen_repeat.html Microsoft took steps Tuesday to avoid repeating the debacle two months ago that left Windows XP users staring at the notorious "Blue Screen of Death" error message after they applied a patch. In February, a secu...

Microsoft Works version 4 & 5
I lost my program files for Microsoft Works version 4 & 5 and I need to download them again to my computer. Is there a website that I can go to to get the file download. (1) Wrong newsgroup (2) No. Load them from your disks again. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Carmen" <moonstar1965@juno.com> wrote in message news:122101c4a756$225c0ae0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I lost my program files for Microsoft Works version 4 & 5 > and I need to download them again to my computer. Is > there a website that I can go to to get the file download. --- Out...

Mysterious Magical Moving Lines in Microsoft Excel
A line drawn in Microsoft Excel seem here, not to be a line at all. I was trying to find patterns for number factors, and started working on this rather large 80MB spreadsheet to illustrate. I know this is probably not the proper venue for doing this kind of work, but it seemed appropriate for me at the time to try and get a handle on the problem. You can get the spreadsheet here, but it will probably take an hour to download if you are the only one trying to get it. If you are sharing bandwidth with someone else, it will obviously take longer. http://christoffur.hopto.org/Prime...

How do I send an angry letter to Microsoft regarding Office 2008?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello, Well, perhaps it doesn't have to be so angry in tone, but I would like to let someone in Redmond know that what we need in future versions of Mac Office isn't ripple effects for view-change buttons, but feature parity with its Windows counterpart. Office doesn't have to be cute and slick, I for one, am content with a perfunctory interface, as long as my professor can open my Word 2008 files in Windows Word 2003. I digress, but if Pages had equation editor functionality, I would have jumped ship a lo...

=?Utf-8?Q?Microsoft=C2=AE_Money_Plus_Deluxe_edi?= =?Utf-8?Q?tion_trial_version?=
I'm using Microsoft® Money Plus Deluxe edition trial version .if I purchase MS Money Standard Edition 2005, do I need to enter all data again or will trial edition convert to full version. An older version cannot read a file produced by a newer one. So Plus can read a 2005 file but not the reverse. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Jagdeep" <jagdeep_r@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BD1E99CA-8A12-4B89-97...

office 97 excel- cannot download excel templates from microsoft site
Though i am able to download Word templates from the Microsoft site without any problem, I cannot download Excel templates. When i select an Excel template and click "edit it excel", Excel opens but the template does not appear,,, nor can i find it anywhere on my hard drive. I have tried reloading Office but this did not solve the problem. ...

tracing queries that are not used
I have a huge number of queries in an access database that I use, I am sure that some are not required. I am reluctant to simply delete them and then see if everything is working. Is there a way of tracing whether there are any reports etc that are dependent on a particular query - as with auditing for precedents and dependents in Excel. Regards On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:45:00 -0800, pkeegs <pkeegs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a huge number of queries in an access database that I use, I am sure >that some are not required. I am reluctant to simply delete them and ...

Multitable query problem
Hey. I have a problem I can't wrap my head around. I have a database with mostly normalized data. I have a few tables with a common key, so they are no problem TBL_Tag *tagno description area etc... TBL_Tag_Termination *Tagno misc tag info... TBL_Tag_Misc *Tagno misc tag info fields... Then I have a list of users that log on, and by doing that I set a public variable 'Login' that is the userID. I retrieve this number in my forms and queries by the function Getlogin(). All of this works. Now, to my problem: I have a table that link users to areas: ...

Help w SQL query
Howdy, can anyone help me with a SQL query to change global customers to local? I briefly used HQ at a second location, now I am only using SO and am having issues updating customers who were entered while we were using HQ because they are marked as global customers. I need a sql query/ statement that will change all customers to local custmers thanks -- Jon Kahn Confluence Kayaks ALWAYS create a backup of your database before running ANY Insert, Update or Delete statement! UPDATE Customer SET GlobalCustomer = 0 -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@...

Uisng an option group query
I have a form with checkboxes used to select certain values. These checkboxes allow users to query data from a table called CATS. A sample of this table is provided below: WBS Code User Name MaxOfDate GB2-E0005.10 EGAN-SHEPHERD, CLIVE 09/08/2005 GB2-E0020.10 BANKS, TIM 12/05/2005 GB2-E0020.10 PARRIS, PHIL 12/23/2005 GB2-E0020.10 WHITMARSH, KEVIN 12/14/2005 GB2-E0020.25 ALDERTON, MALCOLM 09/05/2005 GB2-E0020.35 REGAN, DAVID 12/15/2005 GB2-E0020.40 BAKER, ANDY 09/26/2005 GB2-E0020.40 BOONE, CHRISTOPHER 09/20/2005 GB2-E0020.40 BURDON, JOHN...

Reference a Date and Time in Query
Hello, I am trying to use a query to filter the table results by Date and Time. The table data is in the format: mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS *M I already have a query that selects the data between two dates. But I also want to be able to select two dates and two times. Such as Between 3/15/2007 9:00 AM and 3/15/2007 10:00 AM, or use two different dates and times, etc. I have gotten close by using: Between ([Forms]![RC_WithTime]![Calendar1]+TimeSerial(9,0,0)) And ([Forms]![RC_WithTime]![Calendar2]+TimeSerial(10,0,0)) but as soon as I try to convert the TimeSerial to link to forms it says that the...

"Microsoft Office 2000 patch for Microsoft CRM" 02-13-04
Can someone please send me a copy of the "Microsoft Office 2000 patch for Microsoft CRM" if they have it on the Office 2000 Supplemental CD for CRM. I haven't been sent this and waiting for reships etc is killing me. Thanks VERY Much to anyone who can help, You can email me at tonyfosterit@hotRemovEmail.com Take the remove bit out and thats the email addy (hotmail.com). Tony ...

Updating Date with Update Query
I have inherited an Access 2003 database that has a table that stores Invoice Number, Invoice Month, Quantities, etc. A user in my team has pointed out that while each record has the Invoice Number filled (because it is part of the primary key), many records are missing the Invoice Month (an optional field.) This user wants the Invoice Month filled. I created an update query to fill in the blanks in the Invoice Month field. In the design of this query, in the "Update to" field I am using an expression like this: IIf([Inv Number]=2,1/1/2010,[Inv Month]) I was planning to...

Building a Query by Form Interface
Hello, I'm trying to create a method where a user selects some criteria in a form and a query then generates the results. I have been able to pass numbers successfully in the query but not text. If anyone has an easy way of developing this let me know. The code below works for numbers but not text Help me please. Function BuildSQLString(strSQL As String) As Boolean Dim strSELECT As String Dim strFROM As String Dim strWHERE As String strSELECT = "s.*" strFROM = "UFRRecords s " If Check2 Then strWHERE = strWHERE & " s.[FlagField1] = " & Combo0 End I...

Append many queries to tables
I'm trying to automate the running of 8 queries that append to 3 different existing tables (for example): qry1, qry2, qry3 appends to tbl1. qry4, qry5, qry6 appends to tbl2. qry7, qry8 appends to tbl3. I've been doing this process manually, the tables already exist with the proper field names that align with the field names in the qry's. There is no duplication of fields between qrys or tbls. Since I do this once every week I have to first make a blank copy of each table (keeping the original field names and settings only), then I delete the old table and then I append each...

A form to be filled in and then to be used for a query
Hi ! I'm using MS Access 2003. In my table I have yes/no fields F1 to FN. In my query I want to select records from this table according to the values of F1, ... , FN. I want to use an entry form for specifying my query. My entry form will have checkboxes for specifying the values of F1, ..., FN. A record is to be selected from my table whenever it has "yes" values for all fields checked in the entry form. (Unchecked fields are ignored .) To carry out the query, I would like to check the values in the entry form, then push a button to have another form show up which display...

Microsoft betrayed yet another customer base 08-21-10
Microsoft acquired a company in 2008 that have been making a 3D modeling and animation software for more than 20 years, and discontinued it a year latter. No more updates, nada. The software has a huge following, including in Hollywood. Microsoft made the software free, but for the many who already paid for it there are no updates and no guarantees that the software would work on future versions of Windows, and their graphics assets are stuck in the current version. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueSpace Nobody submitted this idea : > Microsoft acquired a company in 2...

ViewState Value as Parameter for SQLDataSource
Is it possible to use a ViewState Value as a Parameter for a SQLDataSource? Looking at the options available as a Parameter Source...it looks like no. But I'm being told that you can. Comments/instructions? Thanks On Dec 21, 6:26=A0pm, Dave <Dave.Burk...@Jacobs.com> wrote: > Is it possible to use a ViewState Value as a Parameter for a > SQLDataSource? =A0Looking at the options available as a Parameter > Source...it looks like no. =A0But I'm being told that you can. > > Comments/instructions? > > Thanks Dave, you can do this from the code...

Query
How could I force the query results to output to a specific format/template? The reason for this is that certain values don't exist in certain date ranges within the data pool. I need those values to be included in the query results anyway. I have tried linking another query(tried a table also) with the template to the query that calculated the results. Is there something I should consider when doing this? A better way? Thank you Erik Create a new query that includes the table that contains the domain of values you want to appear in the output and join that table to the existin...

CRM_FullName Parameter Missing
Hello, I have run into this problem and have not found a solution as of yet. If there is one already posted, please forgive me and if possible, point me to it. Thanks. The error I receive is "The 'CRM_FullName' parameter is missing a value." This happens when I run just about any report on a Client PC. If I run the same report on the Server it runs fine. This happens for the built-in reports as I want to try to get this working before creating reports. As I said, this happens for most of the reports. There are a few reports which I can actually run from the Cli...