Merging cells not working.

Working with Excel 2003.
Merging cells isn't working anymore.
Don't know the English words for the buttons.
Format/Cells..... qualities (Ctrl+1)/ tab page "Alignment", choose "align
cells" then OK
See http://www.flickr.com/photos/10646001@N08/3043812497/
How can i restore this merging function?
Sorry abt my English it is ±53 ago i learned it at school. And now we have
also new "PC-words"!!

Piedro

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#

How are you selecting that range (A1:D1).  It kind of looks like you've used:
select A1
ctrl-click on B1
ctrl-click on C1
and
ctrl-clikc on D1

Try selecting A1:D1 as one contiguous range.  Then try merging the cells.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#

I don't have another guess.

Does it work if you test it in a brand new worksheet in a brand new workbook?

Does it work if you do it via VBA?

Start a new workbook (just for testing)
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-g  to see the immediate window

type this and hit enter:
Range("A1:D1").Merge

Then go back to excel to see if it worked ok.

--

Dave Peterson
0
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#

"
Which trick?

The VBA code?

Did you try doing it manually in a new workbook?  What happened?

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Which trick?
***Start a new workbook (just for testing)..... etc, etc
> The VBA code?
>Does it work if you do it via VBA?
***Don't know what VBA means!

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#
VBA is the language of modern excel macros.

It was the stuff that started with the alt-f11 in the previous post.

--

Dave Peterson
0
>It was the stuff that started with the alt-f11 in the previous post.
***With this i can merge cells.
But why doesn't work the old way, via button Format? Can we repair it?
--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#

If it works in the test worksheet, then I'd guess that there was something wrong
with the first worksheet/workbook.

Maybe it was the way you selected the cells?

If that's not it, maybe you can provide the exact details of what you did and
what happened when you did it.

--

Dave Peterson
0
>I'd guess that there was something wrong with the first worksheet/workbook.
***Nothing wrong with the worksheet! Took a new one, selected e.g. E2,D2,F2
with Ctrl button then button Format/Cells...(Ctrl+1)/ tab page "Alignment",
choose "align cells" en then OK.
Nothing happens!

Piedro
--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#

If you select E2, D2, F2 using the control button, then I bet you're selecting
each cell separately.

That means that excel will try to merge each area (individual cells in this
case) and it won't do anything.

Try selecting D2:F2 as one area.
If you have to, use:
Edit|goto|type:
D2:F2
then do the formatting.

(You can also select the range by clicking on D2 and highlighting E2 and F2.
But don't use multiple clicks and don't use the ctrl key.)

--

Dave Peterson
0
>If you select E2, D2, F2 using the control button
*** Sri ==> D2, E2, F2 and using Ctrl and then Format... etc.
It allways formatted to one cell.

> Try selecting D2:F2 as one area.
> If you have to, use:
> Edit|goto|type:
> D2:F2
> then do the formatting.
*** This is abacadabra to me.

Piedro
--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#
I don't understand.

--

Dave Peterson
0

>(You can also select the range by clicking on D2 and highlighting E2 and F2.
>But don't use multiple clicks and don't use the ctrl key.)
***YES!!!
This is how it works! My mistake. I forgot it. Made now notes in my notebook.
What i did, month ago, was selecting cell D2E2F2 with left key, then
selecting with Ctrl G2H2I2J2 and so on for row 3, 4 5 etc.

I thank you for your perseverance and patience.

Erik Kroese
('38 Kuala Simpang/Sumatra Indonesia. POW WWII Camps Malang, Solo and
Ambarawa 6. Since '47 living in The Netherlands)

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
forever. #Chinese proverb#
Are your ROWS merged? I discovered, by accident, that Excel wouldn't tab properly if I've included merged rows, e.g. A1:B3. Excel then tabbed back-and-forth (maddeningly) from the merged rows (A1:B3) rather than to the next unprotected cells. By adjusting the merge to be only A1:A3 (and necessarily adjusting row height) it suddenly started working as God intended. I could find no mention of this weird behavior in any Google search so I'm hoping it gets documented here.

> On Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:44 PM piedro938" wrote:

> Working with Excel 2003.
> Merging cells isn't working anymore.
> Don't know the English words for the buttons.
> Format/Cells..... qualities (Ctrl+1)/ tab page "Alignment", choose "align
> cells" then OK
> See http://www.flickr.com/photos/10646001@N08/3043812497/
> How can i restore this merging function?
> Sorry abt my English it is ??53 ago i learned it at school. And now we have
> also new "PC-words"!!
>
> Piedro
>
> --
> He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
> forever. #Chinese proverb#

>> On Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:55 PM Dave Peterson wrote:

>> How are you selecting that range (A1:D1).  It kind of looks like you've used:
>> select A1
>> ctrl-click on B1
>> ctrl-click on C1
>> and
>> ctrl-clikc on D1
>>
>> Try selecting A1:D1 as one contiguous range.  Then try merging the cells.
>>
>> Piedro wrote:
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

>>> On Monday, November 24, 2008 10:33 AM piedro938" wrote:

>>> What you advised is what i always did, but now it is not working anymore! :-(
>>>
>>> --
>>> He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask is a fool
>>> forever. #Chinese proverb#

0
wpshore (1)

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Splitting a cell within a table
I'm attempting to split a cell within a table. I click within the cell that I want to split and then click Table but "split cells" is grayed out. Please assist. Thanks. Anthony You can only split previously merged cells. "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:429D3BCD-C656-4F6B-8EA6-54A40DA12E09@microsoft.com... > I'm attempting to split a cell within a table. I click within the cell > that > I want to split and then click Table but "split cells" is grayed out. > Please > assist. > > Thanks...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Linking Cells: Excel into Word Document
Greetings, After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in a worksheet be linked to a Word document. Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an extensive document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would be many inserts/links) into t...

Returning left part of cell before a character
I have a text file report that is not customizable. I import that into Excel. There is a field where relevant data ends after the colon character ":". Can someone help me with a formula I can put in column C that evaluates the corresponding cell in column B and brings back all text to the left of the colon mark? Examples: Column B freddy: 45345 sldf jeff: 45422 fdflh sam: bfd4454 In this case I want to return the characters to the left of the colon: freddy jeff sam Thanks in Advance! Alan Hi there, You can use the formula =MID(B1,1,FIND(":",B1)-1) This wi...

Word mail merge

Copying Cells #2
How can I copy a range of cells (some of which are filled with gray) from one worksheet to another worksheet without deleting any data that may be in the same range on the second sheet. Say the area is from A1 thru B2. Select A1 thru B2 on the first sheet and: Edit > Copy then select cell A1 only on the second sheet and: Edit > Paste Special > Formats. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200808 "DJ" wrote: > How can I copy a range of cells (some of which are filled with gray) from one > worksheet to another worksheet without deleting any data that may be in ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

what scales are certified and working for POS 2009?
Please be as specific as possible with model numbers that have been tested and comm type (i.e. serial {comm settings?}, usb, etc). Any additional info that might help would be appreciated. Thank you ...

Run macro from clicking on a cell
Is there a way that you can run a macro from clicking on a specified cell with a hyperlink or function. I can use the shortcut key, but some 'here' say it is not user friendly to have to use a shortcut key. help files haven't helped. -Joe -- jrd269 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jrd269's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23815 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376404 jrd269 wrote: > Is there a way that you can run a macro from clicking on a specified > c...

Linked Cells #8
How do I have a link jump to the linked cell vs. showing me the contents? Without knowing exactly what you're asking, you need to hyperlink the cell you want to jump from, select Bookmark, and then enter the Cell reference that you want to jump to. "Jill" <Jill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:227A882B-189A-4BE3-AEAE-A5C0CF6EF751@microsoft.com... > How do I have a link jump to the linked cell vs. showing me the contents? ...

cell value
I need cells to show values when a check mark is entered. Like if I check this box then the value is 1.0 - this needs to be in several columns that I can then add the values together from Hi Lisa If you're using the Checkbox from the Form toolbar, right click and go to Format Control. Under the Control, you can link to a cell, select a cell "Z1" just for illustration, you can pick any empty cell. That can be visible or not but it will return "True or False". Now the cell that will return a value, just type =if(Z1=true,1.0,""),Remember to chang...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Working with Excel charts in Word
I've copied an Excel chart (ie, one based on an Excel spreadsheet) into Word. It's a bar chart with a lot of white space in the upper half. I cannot resize it to get rid of the white space. I've tried resizing, but it doesn't work. Can someone help? I'm using Office 2003. Thanks, Suroor Is it the white space inside the border you're trying to remove? If so, while in Excel select the chart, right click->Format Chart Area, under Patterns tab-> Borders, select None, and click OK. Select and paste into Word. "suroora" wrote: > I&...

Moving an active cell
I need a snippet of code that will (when you use ctrl-d) look at the active cell, move the cursor down 9 cells (same column) and make that cell the active cell, no matter where you start on the spreadsheet. Any ideas? Thanks to everyone. -- Howard ActiveCell.Offset(8).Select Hope this helps. Otto "Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4AEBCBE-AB3A-456C-81D0-2478A113B5FE@microsoft.com... > I need a snippet of code that will (when you use ctrl-d) look at the > active > cell, move the cursor down 9 cells (same column) and ...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Word 2007 macros won't work in document saved from template
Hello Am I doing something wrong? I have macros disabled with notification turned on, this works fine in a dot file with macros: warning when opening the template, user clicks on enable macros and all is fine. When opening a document created from the template, the macros don't work: nor does the notification message appear, only a msgbox warning when a macro is triggered "macros in this project have been disabled, refer to online documentation or help etc etc etc" How do I get the macros in the "doc" file to work the same way as when it was created from t...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Outlook archiving and importing quit working
I have Microsoft Outlook and was archiving a bunch of folders manually and out of the blue for no reason, it quit working. Now I can't import any of my .pst files back into my mail. Please help?!! What version of Outlook are you using and what is the size(s) of your *.PST files? The reason that I ask is that PST files have size and item count limits. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:a3a201c48784$365a0ac0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I have Microsoft Outlook and was archiving a bunch of > folders manually and out of the blue for no ...

Deleting Parts of Cells
I have a list of information in a column. All the information has the format of having numbers and letters then a / and more data. I only want to look at the data to the left of the /. So, I would like the data to the right of the / deleted, including the /. For example, I need YYY9/5 to read YYY9. Any suggestions? You could bring it into Excel as a txt file open the txt file in excel Text Import Wizard will appear select >delimited check > other and type the "/" into the box finish you should have a separation where the / was. "GOL" wrote: >...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

I Need to change reference sheet for all cells on a form
Good afternoon, I am copying a spreadsheet to make summary sheet and I need to change which sheet the cells are referncing on my copy. Some of the cells refer to for example, =PRIOR YEAR!B3, some of the cells use a command to Round(PRIOR YEAR!B3/100), I would like to change all the references that currently refer to "PRIOR YEAR" sheet and make them "CURRENT YEAR" sheet, so my references would look like this =CURRENT YEAR!B3 and Round(CURRENT YEAR!B3/100). I am curious if a paste special, or shortcut exists that can do this quickly so I dont have to go in and manual...

Printing Patterns in Cells
Hell, I am trying to print a worksheet I created with colors and patterns. The colors print, but the patterns don't. They show up in print preview. Can anyone enlighten me please? Oh, and is there a limit to the width of a worksheet. Mind will only go as far as column IV. Thanks for your help Patty ...

Tab
Tab is supposed to move one cell to the right. Mine moves from column A to S, to AK to BC and so on. It always moves in hughe ranges. The arrow works, however, I am used to the TAB and want to continue using that. Ther is nothing in the set-up screens that would indicate this possibility. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks for helping Click on Tools/Options in Excel's menu bar, then select the Transition tab and uncheck the CheckBox labeled "Transition navigation keys". Rick "Dies-und-Das" <DiesundDas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E119...

fill random cells in an area
hi! I have this problem: in one sheet a have 4 values (in the columns ABCD row1) and I want to use this 4 values to fill randomly 4 of those 20 cells of the range A1:A20. How to do this? Thank you!:confused: --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ i forgot something: range A1:A20 is in a new sheet not in the same shee with the values. Sorry -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...