Merge Excel Docs

I need to merge two excel docs. Both have the exact same colomns of
data. But I updated some of the cells in the new document. I need to
merge those new cells into the apropriate rows and leave all other data

unchanged in the old document.

Unfortunatly, there really is no reference in the old or new document
that points to the specific row with the cells that needs to be
updated.

I could specify the rows by number in each doc if need be.

Not same number of rows/columns. Not limited to rows or columns -
random.

Volume is small, rows x columns is 761x9 in the old doc. 37x9 in the
new doc.

Here is an example of what I did to help us both better understand the
issue that needs help.

Let's say I'd a worksheet with 100 rows and 10 columns. Lets say the
columns are respectivly for last name, first name, street, etc.... and
each row is a diferent contact.

In each row, some of the data was incorect. Wether it be the name,
street, or whatever. Some of the rows had incorect data in random
cells.

I took, for example sake, 25 random rows, with incorect data somewhere,

and put them into a new excel doc. THey were not consecutive rows. I
then gave it to someone to update whatever they found to be incorect in

whatever cell.

I now need to merge the new data back into the old document in it's
correct row.

Thanks,

Sam

0
samearle (9)
2/21/2006 8:56:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

automatic formatting in excel
We use account codes beginning with MAR with 4 digits following (e.g. MAR3420) in spreadsheets and Excel automatically converts this to a date format. I have reformatted the cells to Text and this overcomes the problem initially. However, these files have to be saved in .csv format for uploading into our accounting software. The difficulty arise if the .csv file is ever opened to make changes because Excel reformats these cells to dates again which corrupts our data. Does anyone know of a way to switch off the automatic reformatting of cells? I don't think you can prevent Exc...

Excel Closes all open excel files when I close one
If I double-click 3 different .xls files to open 3 different excel applictions, I find that they all close at the some time when I close one of the windows. I am closing the windows by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. I am using Excel 2002 sp2. ...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Tabbing in Excel
Simple question: Is there a way to edit the direction of the Tabbing feature. Building a spreadsheet with locked/unlocked cells and need to change the default of "right to left" to "down then over". Any help? reply to : jerry.creacy@acs-inc.com oops. Default should be "left to right" >-----Original Message----- >Simple question: Is there a way to edit the direction of >the Tabbing feature. Building a spreadsheet with >locked/unlocked cells and need to change the default >of "right to left" to "down then over". Any he...

Linking Cells: Excel into Word Document
Greetings, After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in a worksheet be linked to a Word document. Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an extensive document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would be many inserts/links) into t...

Shared excel file dissapears
We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production log. we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing. As we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up. we are at about 2 a day now. I was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of simultaneous users are. Are there any known issues which would cause excel to mysteriously vanish?? thanks cr -- http://QLiner.com It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

Excel "file is already open"
Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from outside Excel (such as from Windows Explorer), Excel indicates that the file is already open - although, once I click OK, I seem to be able to work with the file normally. The same file will open fine from within Excel. I am using Excel 97 on an XP-Home machine. Can you explain why I may be getting this message, and how I might correct for it? The FAQ at Debra Dalgleish's site might give the solution: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen John McFadden wrote: > > Whenever I open a '.xls' workbook from ...

Pasting picture files to Excel
Whenever I paste ia jpg picture nto Excel (or Word for that matter), I get only 3 choices (bitmap, metafile (bigger than bitmap), and photoediting (bigger than both)) . My question is, is there anyway to paste in a picture to an Excel file, but keeping it compressed as a jpeg file, this way the excel file size doesn't grow by leaps and bounds? Thanks. Matt: Since Excel has the ability of editing a picture, the software has to limit its pictures to those formats that MS has editing tools to work with. That's why you can't easily set up JPG or GIF pictures as embedde...

Free! Learn MS Excel
The following is a video that demonstrate to you: How to plot a chart with Microsoft Excel. http://raymondlamsk.blogspot.com/2008/05/free-learn-microsoft-excel-how-to-plot.html I hope it helps you in one way or another. ...

Mass Re-linking of Broken Excel 2000 and 2003 Files
We are moving customer files to a different server and have several individuals who have MANY linked Excel 2000 and 2003 files to other Excel files. I am getting pressure from some individuals on finding a tool to re-link moved files more easily than on a one-by-one basis when they are opened. Does anyone know of anything like this? Have a look in Help at Worbook.ChangeLink HTH -- AP "Lynn" <Lynn@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 88648722-5AC2-4C38-8536-ED7A405F095E@microsoft.com... > We are moving customer files to a different server and...

Word mail merge

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Working with Excel charts in Word
I've copied an Excel chart (ie, one based on an Excel spreadsheet) into Word. It's a bar chart with a lot of white space in the upper half. I cannot resize it to get rid of the white space. I've tried resizing, but it doesn't work. Can someone help? I'm using Office 2003. Thanks, Suroor Is it the white space inside the border you're trying to remove? If so, while in Excel select the chart, right click->Format Chart Area, under Patterns tab-> Borders, select None, and click OK. Select and paste into Word. "suroora" wrote: > I&...

Lock Column in Excel 2000
I have a non-Microsoft program that exports data into Microsoft Excel 2000. I have it setup so after the data is exported into Excel, I insert a column. In the new column, I put a function (for the same of example, Let's say it is in column 'c', starting in row '5', =a5*b5. There are many columns of Data after column c. Is there any way to setup up a template Excel file, so that column c in Excel is "locked" (or whatever the term for this is), so the data is exported to columns 'a', then 'b', then skips c, then the next column is 'd', then...

Linking to Outlook from Excel
Hi There, Is it possible to extract information from outlook using Excel? What I'm trying to achieve is a summary of calendar items subject by category and (if possible, by location & label). If this is possible to be done from within Excel, then how? If it is possible to report this from within Outlook itself, then again, how? Looking at using 2003 versions of all software. Regards Colin Foster Hi Colin, From within your Outlook calendar select Tools -> Import and Export. Select Export to a File and then Comma Seperated Values (Windows). Give it a filename and that sh...

Excel 2007 'Trail"
I have just downloaded a '60 day Trial' for Office 2007. All seemed ok until I opened Excel and it will not let me do anything...at all. Any suggestions? Did you Activate it? KLong wrote: > I have just downloaded a '60 day Trial' for Office 2007. All seemed ok until > I opened Excel and it will not let me do anything...at all. Any suggestions? ...

How can I save an graph as an Excel chart with Excel 2007?
I had created a program in Visual Basic that Excel macros. One of the facilities was to embed a plot (Excel chart) in my application. To do it, the code saved the chart as a Microsoft Excel chart 4.0. With Excel97 (version 8.0e) this file had the extension *.xlc and was easily to load in Visual Basic. With Excel 2007 (version 12.0) It seems that it is no longer possible to save the chart alone as a Microsoft Excel chart. How can I extract a chart plotted within Excel2007 to import it in an external application (e.g. Visual Basic), possibly with a dynamic link? ...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Marketing Lists
Hi, I am trying to export a list of contacts, which is greater than 5000, from a marketing list but everytime I try I only get 5000 records. This is a different problem to the throttling and Maxnumber of records registry setting solutions as I have tried all of these. If anyone has had the same problem and has managed fix it you advise would be much appreciated. Thanks. Craig - you indicate that your problem is similar to this one: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/930604 If this is correct (and you have made the necessary/required changes indicated in the KB above?) are y...

Merging worksheet into MS Word mail merge
I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Excel field that contains $ and commas separating the hundreds and thousands, the $ and the , do not show up in the merged letter. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? -- Briggs Hi Instead of just referring to the cell e.g. A1 use =TEXT(A1,"[$$-409]#,##0.00") -- Regards Roger Govier "Briggs" <Briggs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F326201-A50F-45E5-9767-4C189ACA5529@microsoft.com... > I am merging a letter and an Excel worksheet. When I merge an Exc...

Error in Mail Merge when selecting Edit Individual Labels
We are noticing an interesting error when trying to perform a mail merge within CRM and Microsoft Word. We have created a view in contacts and we perform all the typical mail merge functionality using the Labels option. At the end, instead of printing the labels without any edits, we click on “Edit Individual labels” and we get the following error… C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are on CRM v4 Update Rollup 8 using Outlook 2007 and the CRM Outlook (Online only) client. Has an...

use of Randbetween() in Excel
Hi to everyone. I had 10 columns in Excel. A1 B1 C1 ……J1 ..... … … ……… … … … ……… A50 B50 C50 j50 Each column uses the Randbetween() function to create integers 1-100, that is Randbetween(1,100). Is there anyway to use somehow the function so the integers in every row to be different? (I mean: A1 <> B1<> C1…….<>J1, A2 <> B2 <> C2…..<> J2,……………, A50 <> B50 <> C50 …….<> j50) Thank you. http://...