Maximum spreadsheet sort limit

Morning all,

Can someone tell me if Excel 2000 has a maximum sort limit in terms of
number of rows? The reason I ask is that the spreadsheet we are currently
using is 17000 or so rows and when it is sorted there is still a large number
of rows that appear to be unsorted.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Paul
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Paul,

I just did a simple test and loaded 60,000+ rows and sorted them.Looks
perfect to me.

There must be some other factor affecting it.

--

HTH

RP

"Paul Townsend" <PaulTownsend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Morning all,
>
> Can someone tell me if Excel 2000 has a maximum sort limit in terms of
> number of rows? The reason I ask is that the spreadsheet we are currently
> using is 17000 or so rows and when it is sorted there is still a large
number
> of rows that appear to be unsorted.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance
> Paul

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
4/20/2005 10:05:06 AM
My guesses.

#1.  You're letting excel guess the range and it's omitting rows--if there's an
empty row in your data, excel may not extend the range to include the rows under
it.  I like to select my complete range, then sort--I don't give excel a chance
to guess.

#2.  Your data isn't what it appears.  Common differences are columns that have
numbers--some of them could be numbers (as numbers) and others could be text
(that look like numbers).  123 is different from '123 (single leading
apostrophe).

And one other data problem is leading/trailing/multiple embedded spaces--so it
might look the same, but really isn't.

--

Dave Peterson
0

how can I mark the maximum point on x-y graph
in excel program how can I mark the maximum point on a x-y graph Hi, Maybe these examples will help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FormatMinMax.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm Cheers Andy MAJ-BEHNAM wrote: > in excel program how can I mark the maximum point on a x-y graph -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

How do i sort items using two rows per item in Excel?
Sorting single rows is simple, but is it possible to sort items that contain information in two rows so that both rows stay together? How? You will need a helper column that contains information to tie the two rows together in their proper relationship, such as Xxxxxx001, Xxxxxx002, etc etc with the "x"'s being your primary sort data...........then when you sort on that column things will be together. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "primus4000" <primus4000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BF7F60C-68C5-4778-94BA-2659480D40DB@microsoft.com... >...

Sort-function of AutoFilter doesn't work, when sheet is protected
Hi there, I have a sheet with some columns of locked cells and an AutoFilter in the header-line of the sheet. I have to protect the worksheet to protect the formulas in some cells. When protecting, I choose to allow all users to use AutoFilter and Sort function. However, when I open the sheet in protected mode, I can use the AutoFilter-function to filter the data, but then cannot sort the data. A warning appears, that I have to unprotect the sheet in order to sort. Has anyone got an idea how to solve that? I'm using Excel 2003 SP2. Lucas. Make sure that all the cells in the range ...

Maximum number of recipients
For Outlook 2003 on SBS 2003, is there a maximum number of recipients that a message can be sent to? Thanks, Robert Your ISP is the determining factor, not Outlook. Most limit from 25 to 50 for residential accounts and up to 150 for commercial accounts. "Robert Ramin" <rramin@swcsx.com> wrote in message news:eCWbWuPiGHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > For Outlook 2003 on SBS 2003, is there a maximum number of recipients that > a message can be sent to? > > Thanks, > Robert > ...

Crosstab Query - Column sorting problem
I am trying to make a crosstab query, below is sql view, all the rows and values, columns are ok, no error. Only the problem is that its not sorting by the column heading, April month is coming first, then febrauary,January march One thing I can notice it is sorting based on the first field SIECode, But I want to and have selected in design view to sort the column field in asending: TRANSFORM Count(SlQ1.SlDays) AS CountOfSlDays SELECT SlQ1.SlEcode, SlQ1.SlEName FROM SlQ1 GROUP BY SlQ1.SlEcode, SlQ1.SlEName ORDER BY Format([SlDates],"mmmm") PIVOT Format([SlDates],"...

Which the maximum of characters of value in a cell?
When I impute a numerical sequence in a cell with more than 15 digits, excel does not conserve the typed value, modifying the digits from 16th typed. I ask: it is necessary to adjust some configuration in excel? Hi Excel's numerical limit is 15 digits. If you need to use more than 15, you'll have to enter it as text - either by formatting the cell as text before you type into it, or by starting the entry with a ' Hope this helps. Andy. "Malisky" <Malisky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B261F7DB-7A39-45D5-8FCE-F750D26D36EC@microsoft.com....

sort template
Ok here is one for you guys and gals. It might be easy however it is just not coming to me. I have a excel spreadsheet of 6 columns and over 1000 rows(we'll call this tab A). What i would like to do is create a seperate spreadsheet as a template(tab B) where I can sort thru the data on tab A on multiple rows. So in tab B row 1 I can use the filter to find 1 item then go to row 2 on tab B and use the filter to find the next item and so on. Anyone have any ideas ...

maximum size of a Microsoft Excel list for a pivot table
What is the maximum size of a list I may use to create a pivot table? In excel help type specifications Chick Worksheet/workbook specification>pivot table specs >-----Original Message----- >What is the maximum size of a list I may use to create a pivot table? >. > ...

Repeat Rows Limitations
Hi, I am having problems with the "Repeat Rows" feature when printing a worksheet. It is kind of hard to describe my goal so I've posted a screenshot at http://home.earthlink.net/~redbird77/images/rows.gif. I am making an order form that has many different sections - "Trail Mixes", "Nuts", Fruit" etc. At the top of each page I would like to repeat the rows for the date to be written in. That row also contains the name of a section. My problem is that if I choose to repeat the top 4 rows or so, the first section on every page will say "Trail Mix...

Maximum no of accounts
Hello, Does anyone know what the maximum no of accounts is that can be created in Microsoft 2004? We have anywhere between 350-400 clubs that we need to store in a single file. Your help would be greatly appreciate, esp. if it comes within 2 days. -Nanci In microsoft.public.money, Nanci wrote: >Does anyone know what the maximum no of accounts is that >can be created in Microsoft 2004? We have anywhere >between 350-400 clubs that we need to store in a single >file. Your help would be greatly appreciate, esp. if it >comes within 2 days. http://support.microsoft.com/...

View question: related to grouping and sorting
I have a view where I am using "Group By" on a single field. I would like to have the view sorted based on the number of messages in the groups. Can this be done? Thanks, Frank ...

Sorting with formulas
I have 3 sheets. Here is the formula. =SUM(InventoryOrdered!D23:CA23)-COUNTIF(InventorySold!B:B,"10-414500") This is on sheet InventoryInStock When I add another object I want to be able to sort them AtoZ and then for the cell ex:D23:CA23 to change appropriately. When I add an object I add it to InventoryOrdered and InventoryInStock that way the sheets are the same. What do I do? Also, I need laymans terms and step by step instructions. I have had no "training" in Excel and figuring this out as I go. Thank you ahead of time for your help. God Bless, Harley When I us...

How can I make a login styled spreadsheet?
I am trying to make a login on a spreadsheet, where users can access their own information from the hard drive. ...

Can a maximum discount percent be assigned at cashier level?
I'm trying to find a way to assign a maximum discount percent either at a cashier level or at a security level. Example, I am using security level 4 for my POS staff and I want them to be able to offer a maximum discount of 10% on a sale. I can't seem to find where to do this (although in cashier properties you can limit over/short amounts for z report, or maximum sales, but nothing with respect to a maximum allowble discount) I appreciate any help I can get on this - thanks. ...

Pivot Table with multiple dependent excel spreadsheets
Hey all, Is it possible to create one pivot table that checks in with multiple excel spreadsheets to update itself? FErd -- Frildo Andersen CARE Hawaii, Inc. 606 Coral St. 2nd floor Honolulu, HI 96813 phone: 808-791-6159 fax: 808-791-6198 ...

Spreadsheet help
Hi, I have several spreadsheets in the same workbook, I would like the information one sheet to update another spreadsheet as well as the current spreadsheet searching lines for in itself for specific items and copying them. Example: Spreadsheet 1 A B C D E F 1 s 2 s s 3 al al for this information to go into spreadsheet 2 A B C D E F G H I J...

Sorting "TO" option by Company when composing email?
Hello, I was wondering if there's any way to sort by company when composing a new email then clicking the "To" button at the left of the address your sending to? Right now I'm seeing "Name" in the first column of the select name window. Thanks, George no, you can't sort by company. if you have a partial name, type it in and let outlook resolve it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook...

Maximum
How can I find in VBA the maximum value in a string. I.E: Sub test() Dim x As Variant Dim y As String Set x = "100 200 300 400" y = WorksheetFunction.Max(x) End Sub This will not work! Thank's for the help! Maybe you could use something like: Option Explicit Sub test2() Dim x As Variant Dim y As Double x = Array(100, 200, 300, 400) y = WorksheetFunction.Max(x) End Sub ps. You use the Set keyword with objects--not simple variables. Bobby wrote: > > How can I find in VBA the maximum value in a string. I.E: > > Sub test() > Dim x As ...

Why won't my newly entered data sort with old data ? #2

auto open all columns to their maximum
I am emailing CSV files from a database to end users. When the user opens the CSV file how can I have excel auto open all of the columns to their maxium. Since you have CSV file format, each person will need to highlight a row, Format - Columns - Autofit. "Paul" wrote: > I am emailing CSV files from a database to end users. When the user opens the > CSV file how can I have excel auto open all of the columns to their maxium. actually...to play it safe and avoid dropping leading zero's....the user should open in wordpad, not excel.... "Paul" wrote: > I ...

Maximum size of a CString?
Hi, does anyone know what the maximum size of a CString is? I was thinking of using CStrings to store the entire contents of various text files! >Hi, does anyone know what the maximum size of a CString is? I was thinking of >using CStrings to store the entire contents of various text files! Under Win32, CStrings are effectively limited only by the heap memory available to a process - so in a practical situation it's going to be many MB. Dave That should work. However, if you have many files that are very large, I would recommend an algorithm that breaks the file up into block...

Sorting #2
Using MS Excel XP SP2 on a WIN XP Pro SP1 machine. Trying to sort a 1700 row by 90 column list, by two columns. The directions in help say to select a cell in the list, then go to <data> <sort> then select which columns I want to sort by. When I do this, the only response I get is a message that says, "this operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized". I'm not trying to merge, I'm trying to sort the whole list by two columns, There are column headers in row 5. If I select a whole column and try to sort, only that column rearranges itself. If...

Read 3 txt input files and create an XL spreadsheet
I have 3 txt files that contain data and i want to generate a single spreadsheet. 1 Text file contains the data as below: USER = GARYG PU SU CL CR CG 2. Text file contains data as : GEN WINDOW_LIST GARYGWL EXCEPTION = N ,INSTALLATION_DATA = NONE =MA , CAN , MULTI , WA , SDR , ETEL ; 3. Text file contains data as: USERCODE "GARYG" DEFAULT_WINDOW = NONE ,WINDOW_LIST = GARYGWL ; The report i am looking should be like this: USER ...

Does OL have maximum # of contacts?
OL 2002; Windows XP The new entries in Contacts are not appearing trying to address email. After clicking the TO button to get me to the directory of email addresses, new entries are not appearing and haven't been for a couple of months. There are 2,228 contacts. Does anyone know if OL 2002 has a maximum number of entries that Contacts can handle? If not, is there anything I can do with OL 2002 to fix this problem? Thanks, There is not a maximum number of contacts (except with Hotmail and the Outlook Connector, but it doesn't work with Outlook 2002 - the Hotmail li...

sorting numbers
On Sheet 1- Column A, I have a list of order numbers. The same order number can be listed many times. On Sheet 2 -Column A, I want to I want to copy all of the numbers from Sheet 1 but I do not want to list the same number several times. So in other words on Sheet 2 I want to filter through the numbers on Sheet 1 so that I only have one listing of each number on Sheet 2. gregorK Hi gregork I'd be tempted to copy the complete list in Column A of Sheet1 to the end of Column A on sheet 2. Then I would use the advanced filter on Column A of Sheet2 to extract a list of unique numbers to C...