Manipulating embeded exccel in word (Repost)

Hi there,

I have seen quite a few posts on this and know it is "easily"
accomplished, however I have a bit of a different requirement.

I have a Word document that I have embedded the following:

 - 1 Sheet that holds score data that users can edit within word

 - 6 Graphs (from the same workbook) that report the data in different
ways.

What I want to happen is that when the data in the embedded worksheet
is edited, then all the other graphs update to reflect the edited data
or scores.

Any ideas ?  I have one, which is to cycle through each embedded chart
and copy the data scores from the embedded sheet to the relevant sheet
that the chart is linked to - but is there another way ?

Also as an aside - Is there a way to rename the objects ?  Rather than
the arbitarily named 'ActiveDocument.Shapes("Object 3").Select'  This
is a problem if you ever have to delete an then add embedded objects

Thanks in advance

Jason

0
groupware (9)
2/22/2005 2:36:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

JD,

If you've really embedded the workbook, then any changes to a sheet should
be reflected in sheets with dependent formulas.  This includes charts.
However, if you've embedded each sheet (worksheet or chart sheet)
separately, they don't know about each other.  You should embed once.  That
really embeds the entire workbook.  Now when you edit a sheet, the chart
sheets should update.   You must switch between the sheet and the chart
sheets in the one object.  If you're using Insert - Object in Word, do this
once, then while in edit mode for that embedded workbook, add your charts.
If you're using Paste - Special, copying from Excel, then do this once also.
Same deal.

Now if you want the sheet and the charts to appear in separate places in the
Word document, it will require linking (not just embedding) to a common
document.  Post back.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"JD" <groupware@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have seen quite a few posts on this and know it is "easily"
> accomplished, however I have a bit of a different requirement.
>
> I have a Word document that I have embedded the following:
>
> - 1 Sheet that holds score data that users can edit within word
>
> - 6 Graphs (from the same workbook) that report the data in different
> ways.
>
> What I want to happen is that when the data in the embedded worksheet
> is edited, then all the other graphs update to reflect the edited data
> or scores.
>
> Any ideas ?  I have one, which is to cycle through each embedded chart
> and copy the data scores from the embedded sheet to the relevant sheet
> that the chart is linked to - but is there another way ?
>
> Also as an aside - Is there a way to rename the objects ?  Rather than
> the arbitarily named 'ActiveDocument.Shapes("Object 3").Select'  This
> is a problem if you ever have to delete an then add embedded objects
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jason

0
nothanks4548 (968)
2/22/2005 5:11:54 PM
Thanks Earl

That makes sense, and seems to work when I manualy copy a chart from
the Embedded workbook and then Embed it as a linked, in another part of
the Word document.

[To summarise - I am embedding a linked chart from an already embedded
Excel worksheet that contains the data (and charts)]

Word

      |__>Embedded Excel Workbook with data sheet and several charts

                           |____>Embedded, Linked Charts from above.

Now I just need to work out how to update all this automatically - the
update link doesn;t seem to "referesh" the charts.

I assume if I embed/link all my charts then these should automatically
update when the Embedded Source data sheet is changed.  I am having a
few problems with this, but I will keep plugging away.

If you have any tips or hints on this let me know.

Thanks

Jason.

0
groupware (9)
2/23/2005 3:34:02 PM
JD,

How are you embedding the stuff?  Paste Special?  Insert - Object?

--

> Thanks Earl
>
> That makes sense, and seems to work when I manualy copy a chart from
> the Embedded workbook and then Embed it as a linked, in another part of
> the Word document.
>
> [To summarise - I am embedding a linked chart from an already embedded
> Excel worksheet that contains the data (and charts)]
>
> Word
>      |__>Embedded Excel Workbook with data sheet and several charts
>                           |____>Embedded, Linked Charts from above.
>
> Now I just need to work out how to update all this automatically - the
> update link doesn;t seem to "referesh" the charts.
>
> I assume if I embed/link all my charts then these should automatically
> update when the Embedded Source data sheet is changed.  I am having a
> few problems with this, but I will keep plugging away.
>
> If you have any tips or hints on this let me know.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason.

0
nothanks4548 (968)
2/23/2005 3:43:22 PM
Paste Special

0
groupware (9)
2/23/2005 10:35:42 PM
JD,

Have the chart in a worksheet (even if it's by itself), not a chart sheet.
Paste the workbook into the Word document as an Excel workbook object.
Double-click it into edit mode.
Navigate to the chart, select it.  Copy.
Navigate back to the sheet. Click outside the edit box to leave edit mode.

Click to the location in the Word document that's to have the linked chart
Edit - Paste special - Microsoft Excel Chart Object, Paste Link.

Done.

--

> Paste Special

0
nothanks4548 (968)
2/24/2005 3:30:06 AM
Thanks Earl.  That is pretty much what I ahve tried - except I have the
cahrs as their own sheet.   I will try your suggestion and just place
the charts within a worksheet and hopefully that will fix the quirks.

Thanks again.

Jason.

0
groupware (9)

Attachments embedding in the text of email
How do I make attachments appear in a separate "Attached:" line (under the Subject line), rather than them being embedded in the text of the email? My current default is attachments appear embedded in the email text, which recipients cannot open. Thanks for advice (Using Outlook 2007) Tim S wrote: > How do I make attachments appear in a separate "Attached:" line (under the > Subject line), rather than them being embedded in the text of the email? > My current default is attachments appear embedded in the email text, which > recipients cannot ope...

Pasting excel into word
I am pasting excel spreadsheet items into word and all of a sudden it is pasting the grid lines...I do not want the grid lines to show...I have been doing this the same way for years...copy/paste special/picture and never had this problem....help...presentation has to be done tonight Hi, Make sure the gridlines aren't visible in Excel. Note: You'll get a better resolution image if you paste the data in the Excel workbook format. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Help..." <Help...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B72F66...

Font manipulation
Hello. I'm curious I can change apperance in chat window. Like the background of the tab of my messages and different background of the tab of the different user. I don't mean the background of the text. And is there any way of increace the spacing of lines between them? The lines are really near... For more understanding: I wish to control it somewhere with like a css command "Padding" or "margin". Like ..text_me { font color: gold; font size: 1.5em; padding: 4px; } ..text_others { font color: black; padding: 4px } I think y...

'Word is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action'
This happens when attempting to copy a visio file to word, wheter link, embedded or picture. Then is brings up Task Msnager. What is is trying to tell me? We have the same problem on a Windows XP / Office 2002 / Visio 200 configuration. Did you get an answer already ? I would like to know a well. Thanks in advance... Tjeerd karen wrote: > *This happens when attempting to copy a visio file to > word, wheter link, embedded or picture. > Then is brings up Task Msnager. > What is is trying to tell me? - tjeer ---------------------------------------------------------------------...

Why won't my MS Word work with my Transcription Equipment?
I was having a problem with my transcription software--I use both Express Scribe & GearPlayer--wherein my foot pedal wasn't working with anything. Well, I have updated my drivers and ran bothy Error Fix and RegCure to fix any registry errors. I also installed Pedable foot pedal software. Now, my food pedal is working fine, my MS Word is working fine...separately. However, When I open the word document that I want to do my transcription work in and step on my foot pedal to start my dictation, when I try to type in Word NOTHING HAPPENS. It's like the keyboard went DEAD....

Use the " character within a SQL statement embedded in vb code
Hi to all, Could someone please help me to use the " character within a SELECT statement embedded in vb code? The vb code supplies the RowSource Property of a listbox. thanks in advance, George Put two double quotes in a row. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F455286-7444-4529-8543-589D216F0ED8@microsoft.com... > Hi to all, > > Could someone please help me to use the " character within a SELECT > statement embedded in vb code? The vb...

repost: RPC Over HTTP (External)
this is the message i see when setup outlook externally : "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action" could this be cause by some DNS problem ?? more info: Exchange Server: MailServer Domain: MyDomain DNS suffix : MyDomain.com i can use the Web access with this www.Mydomain.com\exchange. Outlook setting in internal network for Exchange server: Mailserver.Mydomain.com pls help. "Ben Hoffman" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:%23BXlBS%23aFHA.2440@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >...

VBA Import from Access using ODBC
I am trying to import from Access using ODBC - then I want to basically concatenate two of the columns. If I run my macro it actually runs the concatenate part first, then brings in the odbc information. If I put a pause or step through it - it works no problem. Code is provided.. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance... dc With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=Array(Array( _ "ODBC;DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=" & fileandpath & ";DefaultDir=" & spath & "; DriverId=281;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize =2048; PageTimeout =5;")), Dest...

Excel chart into Word
I was wondering... Is it possible to copy an excel-chart directly into (an active instance of) word (as a vector-based image) at the place of the cursor using a macro-button? Preferably with a fixed size / set of colors to use. There are some examples on this web page, showing among other fun tricks how to copy a chart as a picture (metafile) and paste it at the cursor position in Word: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/XL_PPT.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Neron wrote: > I...

Word Count
Surely in an advanced program like Publisher 2007 there is some facility for doing a word count on a document. Where is it ? Copy the text; paste into Word. Do a word count. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "jimcee" <jimcee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA2C8A75-95E7-4F11-97B3-8600AD79DD5E@microsoft.com... > Surely in an advanced program like Publisher 2007 > there is some facility for > doing a word count on a document. Where is it ? I find this approach to the problem of doing a word count on a document in Publish...

Error editing story in MS word
I have 2 pubs that they both in one section I want to edit story in ms word. I get a message that word is busy or you may have low memory. These are simular pubs and I have 5 other that are about the same. They work fine, even if I have multiple files open. Even in the pubs in question, if I go to another section and do the edit story in word it works. They worked the last time I worked on them in June. I can't find anything wrong with the stories. What could cause this. This is at work on a copaq running on a LAN 256mg ram win xp pro. John Kramer wrote: > I have 2 pub...

Snapshot Viewer vs. Word
Hi... I have a button that, once clicked, opens a report in an email attachement (I created this through the standard wizard) Anyway - once clicked you get prompted for the format you want to email in. Two of these choices are (a) Snapshot Viewer and (b) MS Word... Snapshot viewer works really well but the problem is that my clients are complaining that they cannot open the attachement. (I realize that it is jsut a simple set-up that they have to run which will only take a minute or two but the reality is that i cannot explain this to all clients hence this would then prob not be th...

How do you create a tiered brochure in Publisher or Word?
I'm am using Microsoft Office 2007. I could either create this in Word or Publisher. I'm trying to do a brochure that is tiered, in other words, each page is a different size. It's really hard to describe - someone called it a waterfall look. I have a layered setup on my web page. The pages are all the same size but folded so it appears they are different sizes. http://msauer.mvps.org/publisher_projects2.htm Scroll down next to the stars... -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Quixote" <Quixote@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C9FECD7-...

sounds in Word
I was playing with some of my sound settings and for some reason when I got to save, undo, cut copy etc. it used to make that funky sound and I found it quite helpful. Now for some reason it doensn't do it. Anyone know how to get that back? Thanks Take a look at Word>Preferences>General, make sure there's a check in the box for Provide Feedback with Sound. If that isn't the problem check to see if your speaker volume is set low or off in AppleMenu>System Preferences - Sound or another device that has a volume control. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 2/4/...

Hour manipulation
i have a file download that shows hours worked for employees in th following format 72:09:50(hh:mm:ss). The problem is this, the data i displayed in that format but in the formula bar it shows the data a 1/3/1900 12:09:50 AM. Because of this, I can not manipulate the data How can I, in essence, make the data a string or some state in whic it is not recognized as a date and time. I have tried copying the dat and pasting it as a value, one hundred different formatting tries, an everything else I can think of. pls hl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Redwings, this will tur...

Intercept "Print" Word 2010
While I can't say that I am thrilled by the steps taken to get here, I think I have figured out a way to at least simulate intercepting Word's "Print" command in Word 2010. I have a couple of Word 2003 and Word 2007 templates where in the interest of being "Green," I have inserted code in templates that intercepted a users attempt to print the documents if the left or right margin was greater than 1 inch. This process was pretty straight forward in Word 2003 where I simply used macros named "FilePrint" and "FileDefaultPrint" to ...

Switching word Order

Word Templates for CRM
Has anyone created any good CRM 4.0 document templates in Word that they can share? -- Darryl - dh@mtccrm.com -www.mtccrm.com - Only Microsoft CRM ...

Word 2007 (Spell check dictionary gone)
I upgraded my older version of word to 2007. Now When I use spell check it does not identify the misspelled words. I have checked in proofing and everything is set correctly. However, when I checked in custom dictonaries and clicked edit for the custom.dic (defalt) the words in it where from my outlook mail contact list? How do I get this fixed? See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmay...

Embedded Sound Icon not showing
The Icon I had in my documents for an Embedded sound has stopped appearing and now it just says {Embed Sound Rec}. I have obviously checked/unchecked something but can't find out what. Any ideas please? -- Dave P I Have since found out that if I highlight the text and press CTRL+Shift+F9 the icon appears. Obviously a clue, but would like to get back to having just the Icons appearing first time. -- Dave P "Dave" wrote: > The Icon I had in my documents for an Embedded sound has stopped appearing > and now it just says {Embed Sound Rec}. >...

Where can I find a Billing Statement Template for Word or Excel?
You could try something like this: http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/order_form_or_invoice_form_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Iltid" <Iltid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A72C5928-9C02-4F6F-8004-9ABE807F7CA8@microsoft.com... > Take a look here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT011377071033.aspx ...

Microsoft Word 2003 settings
I've just installed MSWord 2003 and the rulers are calibrated in "ch" values as is the tabs settings. Although I selected inches for my measurement type in options, everything except those 2 values change. (No matter what value I select, they don't change). How can I change them? See http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:14:01 -0800, Marlinman <Marlinman@...

Edited signature, now some ActiveX object is embeded. How to remove?
Using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP SP1... I edited my signature, using the advanced editor (Word), and now whenever I try and send an email I get a warning that my ActiveX security level prevents running controls on this page... Well, I didn't add any controls and no matter what I do I can't get rid of this... Looking at a new message, my signature has some kind of object above it. I don't know how it got there, nor how to get rid of it. It does not appear when I edit my signature. My messages are formatted as HTML. Looking at the source for a new message I see the following: <...

Print a MS Word Doc from Excel workbook
Hi, I have a workbook in Excel where I want to be able to place a button that will print a letter that has been created in a seperate MS Word documnet. I have tried recording a macro but nothing happened. Is there a way to link the two together to enable this 'button' to produce the letter ?? Thanks Anthony See your previous post. Anthony wrote: > > Hi, > I have a workbook in Excel where I want to be able to > place a button that will print a letter that has been > created in a seperate MS Word documnet. > I have tried recording a macro but nothing happened....

Manipulating shapes
I have on a worksheet 3 autoshapes as follows: 1 UpArrow 1 DownArrow 1 LeftToRightArrow What I want to do is show one of these shapes (make it visible) when the value in a particuler cell reaches a certain point e.g. Value < 50 DownArrow Value = 50 LeftToRightArrow Value > 50 UpArrow I want this shape to be linked to a report in word (cell in a table), rather like you would with a chart. When the values in the worksheet change, the chart in the word document is updated and the appropriate 'Arrow' is shown in the corresponging table cell. Any help would be much appreciated....