manipulated a data file in excel

Is there any way to have a button in excel where when I click on it, i
will let me choose a data file (by pointing and clicking) that's comm
delimited and I can simply sum up an array of numbers and import tha
sum into a cell?  I don't want to put the text file into th
spreadsheet, but rather just sum of the numers I want into a specifi
cell.  Thanks

--
skinnydud
skinnydude's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1627

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

restore mails from a .ost file
Hi, I'm looking for E-Mails which are saved in an old .ost copy only. Does anybody know, how I can get E-Mails out of it? Thanks Sepp Sepp Erdmann, you wrote on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:35:38 +0200: > I'm looking for E-Mails which are saved in an old .ost copy only. Does > anybody know, how I can get E-Mails out of it? http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/07/ost_to_pst.html -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net I have used the tool OST2PST.exe v2.1. After starting the convertion, I get an internal Error Code=0000000E. Any idea whats wrong here? ...

Extracting Data
Hi really hope someone can help I have been sent a Word documents 250 pages long and which contains addresses. I need to get these into either Excel or Access. Each address is 4 lines and there is 2 or 3 line feeds between each address. Is there anyway I can extra this data into and Excel worksheet or Access table? Very many thanks Alex On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:50:41 +0100, Alex Hammerstein <aph@misnet.co.uk> wrote: >Hi really hope someone can help > >I have been sent a Word documents 250 pages long and which contains >addresses. I need to get thes...

Olap data views
Hello, I've deployed a farm solution with SQL Server 2005, Project server 2007 and windows Server 2003 SP2. I configured Project Server 2007 default cube sucsessfuly and I can create views and see them in PWA Data Analysis. I created a new project Data Analysis Services in Visual Studio. I deployed it remotely and I can see the New cube deployed if I connect to Analysis Services SQL Services Management Studio. Problem start in PWA, because i can't see the newly deployed cube. I only see the default cube created in pwa interface if i go to "server settings...

Combining rows of data that have one cell in common
Hi everyone, let me explain... I'm working with a large excel file (13,000+ rows) of cancer cases recorded in the state of Florida. Each time a patient presents with a cancer, that "case" is recorded as a row on the spreadsheet, along with a UNIQUE patient ID assigned to that particular individual. If that same person develops another cancer sometime later, that information appears in a new case/row, but with the SAME patient ID. I need to export this file to another program (SPSS v13.0) to do some advanced statistical analysis. However, the program requires that all of t...

Is any group function which concatenates data?
Hello. In a query as follows I would like to concatenate data instead of aggregating in a field which is not a part of group clause. SELECT invoice_no, device_type, concatenate_text(device_serial),customer FROM t1,t2,t3,t4 WHERE .... group by invoice_no, device_type, customer Full data set without grouping looks like: SRW/1/2010, AAASSSQQWE, sn000001, ABIX SRW/2/2010, AAASSSQQWE, MSD001XXX, ADA SRW/2/2010, AAASSSQQWE, sn000002, ADA SRW/3/2010, AAASSSQQWE, sn000001, ADA SRW/4/2010, AAASSSQQWE, sn000001, ADT I would like to have something like this after group by and "co...

Exporting folder contents to excel or text format
I am trying to export a list in data format of folder contents, does anyone have any sugestions? Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best. To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to this KB Article. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623& Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from..... http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/ I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features. OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory. Type DIR >MYFILES.TXT All the above create a *.TXT...

Running an excel file with macros in browser.
I have an excel file sitting on the server that users on the intra net access through the browser. Once the user has run the macros and closes all windows, EXCEL.EXE still shows up in the task manager. If you close it, it will ask if you want to save changes to the file. Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix this? Are you running XL through automation? If so, it is your responsibility to close (save, if necessary) any workbooks, quit XL and set the automation variable to nothing. If you are doing that, then, sometimes this happens because there are unqualified referenc...

Seperate Company for Historical Data
We would like to set up a seperate company that would contain historical or completed transaction and keep the open transaction on our live company. Is there a way to do this and if so what will we have to do to set this up? Eric One way of doing it is to create table triggers. The trigger would fire everytime there is a new transaction on the history tables. It will just copy the transaction to another database.You have to take note of the voiding historical trx process. "esf1999" wrote: > We would like to set up a seperate company that would contain historical or >...

Font manipulation
Hello. I'm curious I can change apperance in chat window. Like the background of the tab of my messages and different background of the tab of the different user. I don't mean the background of the text. And is there any way of increace the spacing of lines between them? The lines are really near... For more understanding: I wish to control it somewhere with like a css command "Padding" or "margin". Like ..text_me { font color: gold; font size: 1.5em; padding: 4px; } ..text_others { font color: black; padding: 4px } I think y...

VBA Import from Access using ODBC
I am trying to import from Access using ODBC - then I want to basically concatenate two of the columns. If I run my macro it actually runs the concatenate part first, then brings in the odbc information. If I put a pause or step through it - it works no problem. Code is provided.. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance... dc With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=Array(Array( _ "ODBC;DSN=MS Access Database;DBQ=" & fileandpath & ";DefaultDir=" & spath & "; DriverId=281;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize =2048; PageTimeout =5;")), Dest...

Data Field button disappears?
On a chart plotting multiple categories that includes a data selection button, when one selects data in such a way that only 1 item is picked, the button disappears from the categories axis and a button ends up on the upper left of the chart that can't be pressed or otherwise has any meaning other than the name of the single field. How does one get the selection ability back (button to reappear) without having to do an 'undo pivot'? Anybody have any idea how to corecct this? Having the selectability is nice, but selecting something causes that ability to disappear making i...

Excel 2003 -- cannot empty clipboard
Hi -- I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and Office 2003. Every time I move a cell in Excel , I get a message stating 'cannot empty the clipboard'. I click ok and life goes on. How do I fix this so it doesn't keep popping up? Many Thanks -- memcneely ...

Outlook: Can't open JPEG files
I have Outlook 2000 an unable to open JPEG files. What setting has to be changed to open these files? ...

Combo box and data
Hi, My combo box has three columns. As normal, it shows only one column after choosing the record from the list. Please show me how to make the combo box shows all three columns. Thanks Chi Ciao Chi wrote: > Hi, > > My combo box has three columns. As normal, it shows only one column > after choosing the record from the list. > > Please show me how to make the combo box shows all three columns. > > Thanks > Chi He is not able' -- Ciao Geppo On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:29:00 -0800, Chi wrote: > Hi, > > My combo box has three columns. As normal,...

Overlapping data points
I would like to plot a XY scatter chart with the following data: Series1 Series2 Series3 Label 1 130 7r 1 130 4m 1 143 2r 2 22 3h 2 22 5k X-axis values are arbitrary within their range. Data points for Series1 (1,130) and Series2 (1,130) overlap. I would like to figure out a way to shift Series2 so that the data point appears next to Series1. Could this be done in Excel using a function? Thanks in advance. ...

How to email from Excel?
I have an Excel worksheet with a list of email addresses. I want to use this list for a mass emailing using Outlook Express. Can I do it directly from Excel i.e Outlook Express will use this list in the To: field and I will manually add the Subject and the body of the message. Thanks, -- Nathan Gutman Hi Nathan Body is only possible when you use Sendkeys in OE See this page for a example http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/oebody.htm The last macro loop through a list of addresses You can also use CDO http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl &...

converting files to Publisher 2007
I have recently converted to Publisher 2007 from Publisher 2000. Before I opened my files by going into My Documents and double clicking the file I wanted. Now it ask what program I want to use to open the file. BUT Publisher 2007 is not in the list. Publisher 2000 was still in the list so I completely deleted it from my programs. 2007 still isn't on the list of programs. I can open the files by opening Publisher 2007 and then opening the file I want, but I prefer the simpler way of going thru My Documents. At no time has the new Publisher asked if I want to convert the files. Is ...

saving excel document as pdf
Is it possible to save an excel sheet in pdf format while keeping drop down menus workable on the pdf file? I mean suppose you have a drop down menu in an excel sheet where you can choose numbers. Is it possible to save this file as a pdf file while allowing the drop down menus still work in the pdf file? Or am I asking too much? Hi No, it can't be done, AFAIK -- Regards Roger Govier "minimus" <minimus@live.co.uk> wrote in message news:h0arb5$glm$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is it possible to save an excel sheet in pdf format while keeping drop > ...

How do you delete a page in Excel?
How do you delete a page in Excel? I have 2 pages to my document but want to get rid of page 2, how do I do that? Hi what do you mean with 'page' A single worksheet or a part of one worksheet -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Mackey1968" <Mackey1968@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EE3DE9D4-4275-48E2-AB3F-568B0BB77F08@microsoft.com... > How do you delete a page in Excel? I have 2 pages to my document but want to > get rid of page 2, how do I do that? Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by deleting a page. Surely you don't...

Validate data but then change the entry to upper case
Hi, Is it possible to validate data to allow only W, w, L, l and then convert the lower case entry to upper case? I don't want the user to have to keep pressing shift or caps lock while entering data in these cells. Ephraim use workshhet.selection chage event code activedcell.value=3Ducase(activecell.value) On Mar 20, 2:55=A0pm, Ephraim <rick.mal...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > Is it possible to validate data to allow only W, w, L, l and then > convert the lower case entry to upper case? > I don't want the user to have to keep pressing shift or caps lock ...

Data Store Size
I am trying to find information regarding what the data store size limitations are for the different versions of exchange server 2003. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Standard - 16 GB per store. One Priv, one Pub Enterprise - pretty much unlimited -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm "Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00df01c3b052$9e1048a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to find information regarding what the data > store siz...

excel calculation errors
Does anyone know (1) why excel computes the square of 111,111,111 incorrectly to 12345678987654300, and (2) if this error suggests other errros in other calculations? It's not an error really, if you look in help (excel specifications and limits) you can se that the number precision of 15 digits max, everything beyond will be truncated thus the 0 zeros you get at the end -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "art" <art@heimbachresearch.com> wrote in message news:0bde01c38f21$5343f080$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know (1) why excel computes the square of > 111,111,11...

Need an Excel Formula
I am looking for an Excel formula to find A and B in this formula: A - .3B = any number (e.g., 3250). Thank -- BCII ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BCIII's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m85 View this thread: http://www.hightechtalks.com/t235087 As you have two variables, A and B, you really need two equations to solve them. Alternatively, you can put forward values of one of the variables and see how the other one varies. So, fill the cells A1 to A10 with 1, 2, 3 etc up to 10. Then enter the following in B1: =(A1-3250)/0.3 and copy d...

100% CPU by using filter in Excel
An employee tried to use filter in one special table and the PC did nee 100% CPU time and work more than 15 min. I checked it with other PC. The table is working and PC use only abou 50% CPU and need about 3 min to finish the job. I installed the last SP3 for office XP and it is not solved th problem. The employee has German OS and english office. Has anyone an idea? Please help -- languate ----------------------------------------------------------------------- languatec's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2654 View this thread: http://www.excelforum...

Sheet data
Hi I have a spreadsheet which contains 6 worksheets being Nov 01, Feb 02, May 02, Aug 02, Nov 02 & Jan 03. Each spreadsheet contains details of client loan information with Nov 01 holding 76 records with each later dated sheet holding more records than the previous. The empl ID is the unique field for each client and some clients are on all sheets whilst others may only be on the last sheet. What I need to do is to have all the information of loans assigned to each client created in a new sheet. For example, if a client from Nov 01 has loans on all six sheets, I would like the ...