Making one cell in another row equal another all the time

For example, the reason I want this is that as part of my excel workbook, I
keep car mileage broken up into personal and work. I have the date, the
starting number and the cell after that the ending number then after that
"w" for work or "p" for personal and then I made the difference between them
come up under either the personal or work columns. However - and quite
obviously - the ending number on one row is the exact same number as the
starting number on the next row. So what I want to do, if possible, is to
make the starting number on the next row ALWAYS fill in using the ending
number of the row before that on each occasion. So if the ending number is
10010 one day, the starting number is auto filled in using that number and
if, another day the ending number is 20020 then the starting number the next
day auto fill in. The date doesn't come into this because, quite often, I
need to put personal and work related numbers in on the same day.

Thanks for any help.

0
id (19)
3/26/2009 8:02:58 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Suppose the start-number column is B and the end number is in column
C, and you have a header row so that the data proper starts on row 2.

In B2 you will have to enter the first starting number yourself, but
you can then use this formula in B3:

=3DIF(C2=3D"","",C2)

and then copy this down as far as you think you might need it.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 26, 8:02=A0pm, "Hugh Jeego" <i...@example.com> wrote:
> For example, the reason I want this is that as part of my excel workbook,=
> keep car mileage broken up into personal and work. I have the date, the
> starting number and the cell after that the ending number then after that
> "w" for work or "p" for personal and then I made the difference between t=
hem
> come up under either the personal or work columns. However - and quite
> obviously - the ending number on one row is the exact same number as the
> starting number on the next row. So what I want to do, if possible, is to
> make the starting number on the next row ALWAYS fill in using the ending
> number of the row before that on each occasion. So if the ending number i=
> 10010 one day, the starting number is auto filled in using that number an=
> if, another day the ending number is 20020 then the starting number the n=
ext
> day auto fill in. The date doesn't come into this because, quite often, I
> need to put personal and work related numbers in on the same day.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
pashurst (2576)
3/26/2009 9:19:25 PM
Pete,

Thanks for that but I figured it out for myself eventually and it was much
easier. If, for example, D331 is the ending cell for the day and C332 has to
exact same as that then all I had to do was put, in C332 the simple formula
=D331 then expand that highlighted C332 down to the bottom square in that
row. Works a treat.

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
Suppose the start-number column is B and the end number is in column
C, and you have a header row so that the data proper starts on row 2.

In B2 you will have to enter the first starting number yourself, but
you can then use this formula in B3:

=IF(C2="","",C2)

On Mar 26, 8:02 pm, "Hugh Jeego" <i...@example.com> wrote:
> For example, the reason I want this is that as part of my excel workbook,
> keep car mileage broken up into personal and work. I have the date, the
> starting number and the cell after that the ending number then after that
> "w" for work or "p" for personal and then I made the difference between
> them
> come up under either the personal or work columns. However - and quite
> obviously - the ending number on one row is the exact same number as the
> starting number on the next row. So what I want to do, if possible, is to
> make the starting number on the next row ALWAYS fill in using the ending
> number of the row before that on each occasion. So if the ending number is
> 10010 one day, the starting number is auto filled in using that number and
> if, another day the ending number is 20020 then the starting number the
> next
> day auto fill in. The date doesn't come into this because, quite often, I
> need to put personal and work related numbers in on the same day.
>
> Thanks for any help.

0
id (19)
3/29/2009 11:24:46 AM
Well, I'm glad to hear that you figured it out yourself.

One problem in copying your formula down to the botton of the sheet is
that it will show 0 when the corresponding cell in column C is blank,
whereas mine will return a blank.

Thanks for feeding back, though.

Pete

On Mar 29, 12:24=A0pm, "Hugh Jeego" <i...@example.com> wrote:
> Pete,
>
> Thanks for that but I figured it out for myself eventually and it was muc=
> easier. If, for example, D331 is the ending cell for the day and C332 has=
> exact same as that then all I had to do was put, in C332 the simple formu=
la
> =3DD331 then expand that highlighted C332 down to the bottom square in th=
at
> row. Works a treat.
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message

> Suppose the start-number column is B and the end number is in column
> C, and you have a header row so that the data proper starts on row 2.
>
> In B2 you will have to enter the first starting number yourself, but
> you can then use this formula in B3:
>
> =3DIF(C2=3D"","",C2)
>
> and then copy this down as far as you think you might need it.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 26, 8:02 pm, "Hugh Jeego" <i...@example.com> wrote:
>

> > For example, the reason I want this is that as part of my excel workboo=
k,
> > keep car mileage broken up into personal and work. I have the date, the
> > starting number and the cell after that the ending number then after th=
at
> > "w" for work or "p" for personal and then I made the difference between
> > them
> > come up under either the personal or work columns. However - and quite
> > obviously - the ending number on one row is the exact same number as th=
> > starting number on the next row. So what I want to do, if possible, is =
> > make the starting number on the next row ALWAYS fill in using the endin=
> > number of the row before that on each occasion. So if the ending number=
 is
> > 10010 one day, the starting number is auto filled in using that number =
and
> > if, another day the ending number is 20020 then the starting number the
> > next
> > day auto fill in. The date doesn't come into this because, quite often,=
> > need to put personal and work related numbers in on the same day.
>
> > Thanks for any help.- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)
3/29/2009 7:02:18 PM
I just thought I would add this to end this thread -

I ended up using this formula that I worked out for myself. All I can say is
"it works, too". :)

=IF(D342>0,D342,"")

.....where the cell starting that row is C343 so refers backwards to D342. I
can see, now that I worked it out for myself, where yours is better, though.
I didn't understand it that easily before and when you said that my previous
attempt left a column of zeroes instead of spaces, I decided to find a way
around it with what I had. That was my attempt. In attempting to figure it
out I obviously learned more. :) I have a similar thing in the same row,
every row:

=IF(E343="P",D343-C343," ")

This is to divide Personal mileage from Work Mileage. If the value in 343 on
a particular row is P then the answer is the starting number subtracting
from the ending number but if it isn't equal to P then it is blank. In the
Work column I have the same thing excepting where it equals P it is looking
for equal to W. That sorts the distance in any trip to the right column and
at the bottom of each column is the total for Personal or Work. Why go to
that trouble? In Australia you are required to keep a logbook for kilometres
travelled depending on your circumstances, for tax. In my case, self
employed and using my own car, I needed only to keep it for 3 months to
average the use out and claim on tax that way. However, if you keep a
running total all year round, you get a better percentage on tax as a tax
deduction. Given Excel will do it all for me, I just do it that way and
deduct more. I used to keep that same total and add it all up at the end of
the tax year each year which was a real pain. Nothing like referring to the
bottom of the page and claiming, that way!!

On Mar 29, 12:24 pm, "Hugh Jeego" <i...@example.com> wrote:
> Pete,
>
> Thanks for that but I figured it out for myself eventually and it was much
> easier. If, for example, D331 is the ending cell for the day and C332 has
> exact same as that then all I had to do was put, in C332 the simple
> formula
> =D331 then expand that highlighted C332 down to the bottom square in that
> row. Works a treat.
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message

> Suppose the start-number column is B and the end number is in column
> C, and you have a header row so that the data proper starts on row 2.
>
> In B2 you will have to enter the first starting number yourself, but
> you can then use this formula in B3:
>
> =IF(C2="","",C2)
>
> and then copy this down as far as you think you might need it.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 26, 8:02 pm, "Hugh Jeego" <i...@example.com> wrote:
>

> > For example, the reason I want this is that as part of my excel
> > workbook,
> > keep car mileage broken up into personal and work. I have the date, the
> > starting number and the cell after that the ending number then after
> > that
> > "w" for work or "p" for personal and then I made the difference between
> > them
> > come up under either the personal or work columns. However - and quite
> > obviously - the ending number on one row is the exact same number as the
> > starting number on the next row. So what I want to do, if possible, is
> > make the starting number on the next row ALWAYS fill in using the ending
> > number of the row before that on each occasion. So if the ending number
> > is
> > 10010 one day, the starting number is auto filled in using that number
> > and
> > if, another day the ending number is 20020 then the starting number the
> > next
> > day auto fill in. The date doesn't come into this because, quite often,
> > need to put personal and work related numbers in on the same day.
>
> > Thanks for any help.- Hide quoted text -

id (19)

Make Default

leave a cell blank
My spreadsheet serves 2 purposes. Printed and manually filled out plus data entry. The cells with formulas show a 0 (zero) if the referenced cells are empty. The problem is the user has the option to ignore the formula and hard code a figure. If a formula = 0, is there a way to hide that zero so when I print the form it's blank for the user? thanks! You could turn off viewing zeros at Tools>Options>View. Or you could trap for the 0 and leave cell looking blank. =IF(A1*B1=0,"",A1*B1) If you are interested in keeping the user from over-writing a formula, see hel...

making a transfer show up in the budget

Tracking Inventory of One Item / Multiple Suppliers?
Hello. Trying to figure out if it's possible for RMS to report on / segragate inventory quantities if the same inventory item is from multiple suppliers (say 10 units of x from supplier a and 5 units of x from supplier b)...does RMS have this capability? Thanks in advance -- R. Mullen Clovis CA I suppose this could work for serialized items. "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB95016B-936B-46B4-AA19-A823FBE485F2@microsoft.com... > Hello. Trying to figure out if it's possible for RMS to report on / > segragate inventory quan...

Problem with system time. Too fast and auto adjusted too often
Hi to all. I have a problem and i cannot find a solution. I have a PC that have a strange behavior. Its system time is extremely fast (gains about 2 minutes every half hour). This effect is automatically adjusted in a very trivial way, that is extemely dangerous for some software i'm writing. - No internet connection is available, so no time server is working. - If i keep PC off (even for weeks) when i turn it on the system time is quite precise, maybe it is and hw adjustment? Is there someone that had the a similar problem? Is there a solution? (time drift is acceptable for ...

Macro/keyboard shortcut to increment a cell value
I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut (e.g., Ctrl+I) that would increment the value of the selected cell by 1. Can someone get me started by pointing me in the right direction? I have some experience creating simple macros in Word, if that is what's needed. Thanks -- PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) One way is to make a macro and assign the shortcut key to it: Option Explicit Sub AddOneToActiveCell() With ActiveCell If IsNumeric(.Value) Then .Value = .Val...

Excel automatically changes the formatting of the cell to "Time"
Hello, I have a long column of numbers [dates in the YY:DD format]. I wanted to replace ":61" to ":59". Even though the cells are initially formatted as Text, as soon as I make the change, Excel changes the formatting to Time, and the cell with the change now has text ":59:00" in it. Is it possible to force Excel to keep the cells formatted as Text? Thank you! Sam, If the cells are truly formatted as text (Format - Cells - Number - Text), the formatting should never change, and you should always see exactly what you've typed. Give us an example...

Refresh a form when closing another form
I apologize if this is posted somewhere already, I looked and didn't see anything that exactly matched. I have created a form which serves as a record selection screen to allow a user to edit certain values. Once the user highlights a particular row, they click on a "Edit Record" button. This takes them to a second form which allows them to edit certain data fields. When the user has made the changes, they click on a "Save & Close" button which returns them to the record selection form. I wish to refresh the record selection form, when the "edit re...

Formattinb cells
Hi Is it possible to change the background color of a column of cells depending on the value of the cell at the top of the column. I have written a macro to do this but can't find a statement to do this: worksheets(:Sheet1").cells(cl,rw).backcolor = QBColor(14) Error message method not supported and nowhere in the help can I find an answer. Suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Charles Why not just use format>formula is>conditional formatting =a2=$a$1 and format as desired>copy format using format painter. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com...

Show buttons on one row grayed out
I am using OL 2003 and trying to customize it a bit. When I clicked the arrow at the end of the standard toolbar. I noticed the option to "Show buttons on one row". Unfortunately, I also noticed that it was grayed out, and unuseable. Both rows buttons could easily fit on one row. Could somebody tell me how to make use of the option to show them on one row? Thanks. Sorry, I was wanting it to put the standard toolbar and the advanced toolbar on the same row. I have now added most of the items of the advanced toolbar to the standard bar. That did the trick. "Bob S" ...

How do you change cells with formula's to the value or text?
In lotus it is possible to change the formula in a cell to the text or the number that that formula returns. Of course, you can not reverse it, but in is very helpful sometimes. Is that possible in Excel CTRL + ~ will toggle between formulas and values -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

making tickets

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

One use unabel to access Outlook webmail
I have a costumer that are running small biss 2003 with exchange. all are abole to read there mail throw outlook webmail except for one. we have tried changing her password, she is inn all the same groups as the others and she has outlook web enaboled as the other users. Any suggestion? What happens when she attempts to logon? Are there corresponding entries in the event logs? Nue "hans jacobsen" <hansjacobsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73BF4D97-67B6-4C45-9BE6-6D3DFB2AE7B6@microsoft.com... >I have a costumer that are running small biss 2003 with e...

formula in cells
I'm going to try and explain this a little better and give you the actual cells that I am trying to calculate: I have net pay in cell B8, withdraws in cell C8 and the Balance in D8. I would like row D to add B, subtract C and display the balance. So when I put in the next paycheck on B9, D9 will reflect the amount from D8, add to it B9, subtract C9 if a value is there and display the balance in D9. I would like the cells in Column D for the last value entered to be blank until data is entered into them and not display the last balance the whole way down the spread sheet. Does this...

Excel cut/paste prob: Adds one day and changes year to 2009
When I cut and paste a date into another worksheet, one day is added and the year is changed. For example, 2/5/05 will change to 2/6/09. I am using Office for Mac. How can I avoid this problem. It is compromising my reports and giving false information. The workbook you're copying from uses the WinXL default 1900 date system while your destination workbook is using the MacXL default 1904 date system. You can change the destination workbook system (Preferences/Calculation, uncheck the 1904 date system checkbox). Alternatively, you can enter 1462 in an empty cell. Copy the cell...

Can't open more than one Excel file.
I'm using Excel 2002, W2k with all recent patches. When I'm working on an Excel worksheet and I attempt to open another Excel file the first one is closed when the second one is opened. What do I do to retain the first one open? Eppie Are you sure the first one is closed or just taken off the Taskbar? If you go to Window(on the menu) do you see one or more files listed? You may just need to go to Tools>Options>View and check "windows in taskbar". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:17:44 -0700, "Eppie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Outlook 2002
I have always used the flag feature when ticking it completed as a tool to show as a time/date stamp for when the update in the comment was performed. The COMPLETED flagged messages still show the date and time on the screen, but when printing out, this vital information no longer is included. How can I change that pls? Yesterday I had to resort to a screenshot, which worked yesterday as the email message fit on the screen. But this won't work for most instances, as most msgs are longer, esp. when concerning cases where that date/time stamp is needed as proof of something. Hoefully so...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

Several Pivot Charts One Sheet of Data
Is there an easy way to create several pivot charts off of one database in the same document? Everytime I change one chart, the others change too. The pivot chart and pivot table are linked, so changing one changes the other. Copy your pivot table, and make a new chart based on the copy. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "michelerocks" <michelerocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E92A0209-F5CB-4120-B255-5E867625D8A7@microsoft.com... > Is there an easy way to create severa...