Making Excel act like a database.

I need some help on a common problem in our company.

We have several clients that we have agreed to do some Excel 2003
spreadsheets for.  The spreadsheets analyze our performance for them.

These spreadsheets follow a very specific formatting that the clients
have gotten use to and are unwilling to change.

When we have to update the spreadsheets once a month, it can take all
day to do the updating for each client because we are currently using
copy and paste to get the data in the right cells.

I'll explain more in a second, but what I am hoping to find out from
this posting is alternate ways to do the spreadsheet updating to save
us time.

Here is a rough idea of the spreadsheets.

On one worksheet, there are a hundred or more 30 "tables" for each
office location for the client.  A "table" is their term and refers to
a set of cells with borders, data and formulas relative to a specific
location for our client.  So you might see "tables" like this

SAMPLE of TABLES:
-----
Los Angeles
Month		Desc		Trans	Retail
Jan		Brand X		6	$466.07
Feb 		Brand X		9	$2,740.36
Total				15	$3,206.43

New York
Month		Desc		Trans	Retail
Jan		Brand X		81	$11,446.40
Feb 		Brand X		47	$13,042.66
Total				128	$24,489.06

Now the actual tables are much more complicated and each row much,
much longer.

When I get data for a new month or brand, it comes to me like this:

SAMPLE of DATA FILE:
-----
Los Angeles   Mar	Brand X    6	$466.07
New York      Mar       Brand Z    9	$2,740.36

(Again this is a very simplified version of the actual data.

Every month we have to go in row by row and cut and paste a row for
each city into the above table for that city.  And to complicate
matters, we don't get one Data File, we get 5.  The 5 data files have
a row per city per brand  and only some of the cells for that city and
brand. that make up one row in the "Tables".  Thus we have to cut and
paste 5 times to finish one row.

I know this is a very bad design, and I can think of several ways to
organize the "tables" better.  So far the clients have refused to
allow us to redesign the top "tables".

So my problem is how to get away from the cut and pasting we are
doing.  Another way to think of this is we get the data in 5 files and
in a different sort order, and we have to extrract certain cells per
row 5 times, assemble a new row, reorder the data, and apply some very
complicate formatting.

Can anyone think of a way to do our updating more automatically?

I have been experimenting with copying in the 5 data files to separate
worksheets in the same file, one month's worth of data per worksheet,
and then using vlookups for each cell in the "Tables".  It is very
tedious work setting these all up, and I am worried the resulting
amount of calculation will be huge.

Are there other people that have the same type of problem?  How did
you solve this?

Another thought I had, by the way is this:  this record manipulation
reminds me of a database.  So maybe we ought to replace our cut and
pasting with an Access routine.  Before I go this route, I wanted to
see if there is any way to keep this in Excel.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

0
jfrick100 (1)
10/18/2007 8:00:17 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The simplest way would be to create a macro that imports one file, takes a
line and pastes it into the table.

You might be able to record a macro that does some of the basic steps and
amend that to loop all the data.

To add further, we would need a better idea of the data, but it should not
be hard for someone who knows what they are doing.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"jfrick" <jfrick100@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> row 5 times, assemble a new row, reorder the data, and apply some very
> complicate formatting.
>
> Can anyone think of a way to do our updating more automatically?
>
> I have been experimenting with copying in the 5 data files to separate
> worksheets in the same file, one month's worth of data per worksheet,
> and then using vlookups for each cell in the "Tables".  It is very
> tedious work setting these all up, and I am worried the resulting
> amount of calculation will be huge.
>
> Are there other people that have the same type of problem?  How did
> you solve this?
>
> Another thought I had, by the way is this:  this record manipulation
> reminds me of a database.  So maybe we ought to replace our cut and
> pasting with an Access routine.  Before I go this route, I wanted to
> see if there is any way to keep this in Excel.

bob.NGs1 (1661)
10/18/2007 10:01:19 PM
One possible solution would be to combine the five data files into a single
file on one worksheet and then use a Pivot Table to display the final results.

"jfrick" wrote:

> [...]
> row 5 times, assemble a new row, reorder the data, and apply some very
> complicate formatting.
>
> Can anyone think of a way to do our updating more automatically?
>
> I have been experimenting with copying in the 5 data files to separate
> worksheets in the same file, one month's worth of data per worksheet,
> and then using vlookups for each cell in the "Tables".  It is very
> tedious work setting these all up, and I am worried the resulting
> amount of calculation will be huge.
>
> Are there other people that have the same type of problem?  How did
> you solve this?
>
> Another thought I had, by the way is this:  this record manipulation
> reminds me of a database.  So maybe we ought to replace our cut and
> pasting with an Access routine.  Before I go this route, I wanted to
> see if there is any way to keep this in Excel.

traveller (56)

Make Default

How do you delete a file in Excel's VB?
Not much more to ask than that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tino Tino, Use the Kill command to permanently delete a file. For example, Kill "C:\temp\book1.xls" Note that Kill does not put the file in the Recycle Bin. To delete a file to the Recycle Bin, see www.cpearson.com/excel/recycle.htm . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fce6904.5614763@news.clari.net.au... > Not much more to ask than that. > > Any help would be much appreciated. ...

Can I stop rounding in excel?
I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I turn the rounding feature off? Jmadden wrote: > I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format > the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to > 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I > turn the rounding feature off? If you format the cell as "gener...

Saving excel as htm(l) file?
Another one that I can't find how to do, I used to be able in Office 2000 do a Save as ~ html, but can't seem to find this in excel on Office 2007. I'm sure it's there but could somebody point me in the right direction as I've tried 'help' but it hasn't helped, as it were ;-) Many thanks Keith (Southend) http://www.southendweather.net On Nov 5, 10:18=A0pm, "Keith (Southend)G" <keith_harr...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Another one that I can't find how to do, I used to be able in Office > 2000 do a Save as ~ html, but can't seem to find...

Excel VB application
I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this in Excel AND create it as an EXE file? Thank you in advance for any help. NJ Excel cannot produce executable (EXE) files. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Neil Jones" <nj@dev.null> wrote in message news:#hiTBqB6KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file > (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this > in Excel AND creat...

making a transfer show up in the budget

making tickets

Can I run a histogram with non-numeric data in Excel?
Example: E01a, E01b, E02a, E03a would be the bins. Not directly, but you could easily cobble something together. The histogram created by the Analysis ToolPak is a custom bar chart based on a table. You could easily modify that table after creation to use your desired labels and count text frequencies by using COUNTIF(). Jerry QATegan wrote: > Example: E01a, E01b, E02a, E03a would be the bins. ...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

Excel 2002 locks up
For some reason my Excel 2002 locks up when I attempt to save a document. It seems that it does it when I have several Excel documents open at the same time. Not to say that it won't do it when I only have one document open, I just have only experienced with several documents open. I'm running Windows 2K Pro on a Sony PCG-R505DCK laptop. I don't know if this info helps but I guess it can't hurt. Any help you can give is great. Thank you in advance, Tony ...

Un Save a Excel Worksheet
I accidently saved a worksheet on a previous worksheet with the same file name. Can I restore the worksheet, or un-save the worksheet to the earlier worksheet. No. The file has been overwritten. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Gregory Pearson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07ea01c39384$2e7fa7f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I accidently saved a worksheet on a previous worksheet > with the same file name. Can I restore the worksheet, or > un-save the worksheet to the earlier worksheet. ...

Can't open more than one Excel file.
I'm using Excel 2002, W2k with all recent patches. When I'm working on an Excel worksheet and I attempt to open another Excel file the first one is closed when the second one is opened. What do I do to retain the first one open? Eppie Are you sure the first one is closed or just taken off the Taskbar? If you go to Window(on the menu) do you see one or more files listed? You may just need to go to Tools>Options>View and check "windows in taskbar". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:17:44 -0700, "Eppie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Password Prompt When I Close an Excel Document I Opened in a Web Browser
Hi, Each time I close an excel document it prompts me a username and a password. I found an article (Q324328) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324328 in Microsoft support web site about the same issue with Word. I tried to apply the same solution but it didnt work. The document is on our Intranet. If i enter a userID who has permission to write to the folder where th doc is stored it works. Internet guest account has list content right. Any ideas? Thanks Lenny ...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

removing duplicate records in excel, how to do it?
How to remove duplicart entries within excel? Data>advanced filter, unique records only Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Don" wrote: > How to remove duplicart entries within excel? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteDuplicateRows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Don wrote: > How to remove duplicart entries within excel? Have you notice that the first entry is duplicated in both cases: when header line is included or exclude "Peo Sjoblom" wrote: > Data>advanced filter, unique records only > > Regards, > > Peo S...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

Database DYNAMICS cannot be opened. It is in the middle of a restore.
Does anybody know why I would all of a sudden get such a message when trying to login to GP 9.0.0301? I was logged in to the db, got a get/ change error, logged out and when trying to log back in am now getting this error. Thx, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Looking at the SQL db's, I have 3 db's in the process of restoring - DYNAMICS and two others. What would cause this besides someone manually starting a restore process? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Frank, Here are a few options: ...

a sample question about excel VBA
How can I make msgbox like this? �� there are X sheets of this workbook the first page name is : Sheets(1).Name the secod page name is : Sheets(2).Name �� until to the last page the X page mane is : Sheets(X).Name How can I write this module? Sub WorksheetNames() Dim i As Long Dim strAnswer As String strAnswer = _ "There are " & Worksheets.Count & _ " sheets of this workbook" For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count strAnswer = strAnswer & vbCr & _ "Sheet " & i & " : " & _...

Excel 2002 and Adobe PDFMaker
My Adobe PDFMaker 5.0 icon has gone missing off my toolbar in Excel 2002 and it is no longer available in my toolbar options or customize windows for selection. It was working for a whole year and now it has vanished. It is still available in PowerPoint however I do not know how to return it to Excel. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my Microsoft Office XP Professional software and it still has not returned. It is very important that this function be restored . . . Please help me! Calypso Have you looked in Tools>Add-ins to see if the PDFMaker add-in is checked(enabled)? ...