Make excel 2003 default to open files

I have Excel 2003 running alongside 2007.
Double clicking an excel file causes it to open in 2007; how do I force 2003
to open the files instead?

Sandy

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You most likely have to reset your file association from 2007 to 2003.

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe for Office 2003

In that case Start>Run "C:\your path to\office11\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)>OK.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:18:26 -0000, "Sandy" <sandy_stephen@DELETEhotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have Excel 2003 running alongside 2007.
>Double clicking an excel file causes it to open in 2007; how do I force 2003
>to open the files instead?
>
>Sandy

0
Gord
2/20/2008 8:50:20 PM
Thanks Gord, and easily understood!
Sandy

> You most likely have to reset your file association from 2007 to 2003.
>
> Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar
>
> 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
> 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
>
> See the space between exe and /regserver
>
> You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe for Office 2003
>
> In that case Start>Run "C:\your path to\office11\excel.exe"
> /regserver(quotes
> required)>OK.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:18:26 -0000, "Sandy"
> <sandy_stephen@DELETEhotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have Excel 2003 running alongside 2007.
>>Double clicking an excel file causes it to open in 2007; how do I force
>>2003
>>to open the files instead?
>>
>>Sandy

Make Default

How do you delete a file in Excel's VB?
Not much more to ask than that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tino Tino, Use the Kill command to permanently delete a file. For example, Kill "C:\temp\book1.xls" Note that Kill does not put the file in the Recycle Bin. To delete a file to the Recycle Bin, see www.cpearson.com/excel/recycle.htm . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fce6904.5614763@news.clari.net.au... > Not much more to ask than that. > > Any help would be much appreciated. ...

Website Author Name Details in FP 2003
Hi, Can one insert/change the FrontPage Website Author name in a FP file? Like one can insert the Author name in MS Word (i.e. File, Properties, Author..)??? Thanks. Michael Hutch No FP does not support that because it uses the FP site credentials for managing the "author" -- _____________________________________________ SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ] "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-; _____________________________________________ "Michael Hutch" <MichaelHutch@discussions.microsoft.com...

Converting Files #5
If anyone can/will convert version 2.0 files so I can open them in 2002, let me know. How many files? I will convert them for you. Are you certain they are 2.0 files. Use to be Publisher 2002 would open these files, but a Window security update cured that. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2502F7A5-3ED5-4E65-8A3C-078E9FEC7191@microsoft.com... > If anyone can/will convert version 2.0 files so I can open the...

Saving excel as htm(l) file?
Another one that I can't find how to do, I used to be able in Office 2000 do a Save as ~ html, but can't seem to find this in excel on Office 2007. I'm sure it's there but could somebody point me in the right direction as I've tried 'help' but it hasn't helped, as it were ;-) Many thanks Keith (Southend) http://www.southendweather.net On Nov 5, 10:18=A0pm, "Keith (Southend)G" <keith_harr...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Another one that I can't find how to do, I used to be able in Office > 2000 do a Save as ~ html, but can't seem to find...

Can I stop rounding in excel?
I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I turn the rounding feature off? Jmadden wrote: > I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format > the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to > 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I > turn the rounding feature off? If you format the cell as "gener...

Excel VB application
I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this in Excel AND create it as an EXE file? Thank you in advance for any help. NJ Excel cannot produce executable (EXE) files. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Neil Jones" <nj@dev.null> wrote in message news:#hiTBqB6KHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I am working on a VB script with the goal to import data from a raw file > (using userforms) into the spreadsheet. Is it possible to develop this > in Excel AND creat...

making a transfer show up in the budget

making tickets

2000 migrate to 2003
I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file server, and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the exchange server first or the AD Doesn't make much difference, especially if you are planning to upgrade both within a short time frame. However, either way, I'd recommend to run Exchange 2003 Forestprep first. That way, if you do decide to upgrade your DC's to Windows 2003 first, you won't end up with mangled attributes. http://support.microsoft.com/def...

Opening Office 2007 files using Office 2003 suite
Hi, I am using Office 2003 Professional version. Up until recently I was able to convert and open Office 2007 files using Office 2003. I had some computer issues recently and had to reinstall some software. I reinstalled Office as well as the converter but when I click on 2007 files nothing happens. Therefore I am stuck asking everyone who sends me a file to dumb it down for me and it is a real hassle. I am not real tech savvy so anything you can do to help is appreciated. Thank you! "redskins1" <redskins1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Outlook 2003 not responding when clicking on an e-mail with attachment
Hi, I am running Outlook 2003 on Microsoft XP. After reading various posts on this same problem, I figured the problem had to do with Winfax. I have Winfax 10.02 which is the updated version for Microsoft XP. The posts hint that the problem has to do with winfax but nobody posted a solution. I need both these programs on the computer. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance - nb. See if this information helps. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "nuj baf" <nujbaf@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d38d1b37.0404081330.17195721@posting.googl...

OL 97 & 2003 compatibility
I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003 S&T. All items in my old OL 97 Outlook.pst file were imported to OL 2003, with just one obscure anomaly. Each of my 129 memos, regardless of their total size, have the last two characters of text truncated!?! What's up with that??? Thanks in advance. My problem is with Outlook "NOTES" vice memos. Sorry, I got confused with PALM nomenclature. >-----Original Message----- >I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2003 S&T. All >items in my old OL 97 Outlook.pst file were imported to OL >2003, with ju...

Save workbook as a Text file
Hi, I have recorded a macro to store an Excel workbook as a .* txt file. The result from the macro-recorder is mentioned below --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ActiveWorkbook. SaveAs Filename:="C:\Temp\map1.txt", _ FileFormat:=xlTextMSDOS, CreateBackup:=False --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I carry out above action manually the text is taken over exactly the same as in the workbook, however if I carry out the action by using the above a macro, some data with "quotations ma...

Can I run a histogram with non-numeric data in Excel?
Example: E01a, E01b, E02a, E03a would be the bins. Not directly, but you could easily cobble something together. The histogram created by the Analysis ToolPak is a custom bar chart based on a table. You could easily modify that table after creation to use your desired labels and count text frequencies by using COUNTIF(). Jerry QATegan wrote: > Example: E01a, E01b, E02a, E03a would be the bins. ...

Problem with Money 2003 report
I am trying to make a report with Money 2003, I hae used this program for some time. I used Money 2002 prior to this. Up till now I have been ale to make a report by going to "Reports", "What I Have", "Account Balance History". Now I am getting a error message "There Has Been an Error Reading or Writing the File '.'" and a small window apperars "MSMONEY, with a yellow triangle and a !" When clicking the OK box or the Close X, nothing happens. I have to use the Windows Task Manager to close it out. Can someone help. I need to ma...

Custom Application performance dll : NOT working on Perfmon 2003
I have a performance dll which pulls up custom counters from my application as per the performance dll spec. It works fine with XP and shows values when invoked by perfmon. When my application is run on windows 2003 the perfmon of 2003 does not show any values. It shows "---" for values. If the same process that is running on win 2003 is monitored from a perfmon of XP it shows the right values. Any ideas as to what could be wrong. Thanks in advance ...

Excel 2002 locks up
For some reason my Excel 2002 locks up when I attempt to save a document. It seems that it does it when I have several Excel documents open at the same time. Not to say that it won't do it when I only have one document open, I just have only experienced with several documents open. I'm running Windows 2K Pro on a Sony PCG-R505DCK laptop. I don't know if this info helps but I guess it can't hurt. Any help you can give is great. Thank you in advance, Tony ...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

restrict file sync
Using Windows Home Server with an HP MediaServer and I've got two minor problems: 1. The Server Console says I need to update the HP media collector software on the client side but the client seems up to day (all HP updates are done) 2. I want to restrict the Media Collector to a certain file (F:/pictures) but it will only specify which drives to sync (e.g. all of F:). I can't seem to expand the drop menu in the mediacollector window beyond the root directory. Any ideas? Hi, this is the media center newsgroup, not the media collector group. You need to repost in an H...

Un Save a Excel Worksheet
I accidently saved a worksheet on a previous worksheet with the same file name. Can I restore the worksheet, or un-save the worksheet to the earlier worksheet. No. The file has been overwritten. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Gregory Pearson <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07ea01c39384$2e7fa7f0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I accidently saved a worksheet on a previous worksheet > with the same file name. Can I restore the worksheet, or > un-save the worksheet to the earlier worksheet. ...

Can't open more than one Excel file.
I'm using Excel 2002, W2k with all recent patches. When I'm working on an Excel worksheet and I attempt to open another Excel file the first one is closed when the second one is opened. What do I do to retain the first one open? Eppie Are you sure the first one is closed or just taken off the Taskbar? If you go to Window(on the menu) do you see one or more files listed? You may just need to go to Tools>Options>View and check "windows in taskbar". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:17:44 -0700, "Eppie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&...