Macro to update with active(live) workbooks

I am trying to record a macro that will pull from several different
workbooks with active data. For Example: I want to take the data in
workbook1 column "A" and copy and paste it to column "A" in workbook3, then
look at workbook2 and copy and paste the data in column "A" to the first
open cell in workbook3 column "A". It then needs to do the same thing for
column "B" & "C".  The data in workbooks 1 & 2  columns "A",  "B" & "C" will
be changing daily. So workbook1 column "A", "B" & "C" will look like the
following.......

Monday...

Workbook1                                              Workbook2
Workbook3
      A B C  A B C  A B C
      1 4 7  10 1 16  1 4 7
      2 5 8  11 14 17  2 5 8
      3 6 9  12 15 18  3 6 9
            10 1 16
            11 14 17
            12 15 18

Tuesday... after we have made updates the new items are indicated in red

Workbook1                                              Workbook2
Workbook3

      A B C  A B C  A B C
      1 4 7  10 1 16  1 4 7
      2 5 8  11 14 17  2 5 8
      3 6 9  12 15 18  3 6 9
      1 3 5  7 9 11  1 3 5
      2 4 6  8 10 12  2 4 6
            10 1 16
            11 14 17
            12 15 18
            7 9 11
            8 10 12

Wednesday etc......

The problem I run into when I try to record this macro is that I need for it
to look in the entire column "A" for any additions and copy all data and
paste it into Column "A" then it needs to look in the entire column "B" and
paste in column "B" where the last piece of data in column "B" from
workbook1 stopped. When I have tried to record in the past it will copy all
of column "A" in workbook1 but when it copies all of "A" in workbook2 it
only recognizes where I told it to start previously so it essentially copies
over all of the "new" data from column "A" in workbook1.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Judd

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

As usual, you should post your code for comments but
x=cells(rows.count,"a").end(xlup).row
will give you the last row in the column desired so
..copy cells(x,1) will copy to the last row in col A

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
<judd_sandstrom@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I am trying to record a macro that will pull from several different
> workbooks with active data. For Example: I want to take the data in
> workbook1 column "A" and copy and paste it to column "A" in workbook3,
then
> look at workbook2 and copy and paste the data in column "A" to the first
> open cell in workbook3 column "A". It then needs to do the same thing for
> column "B" & "C".  The data in workbooks 1 & 2  columns "A",  "B" & "C"
will
> be changing daily. So workbook1 column "A", "B" & "C" will look like the
> following.......
>
> Monday...
>
> Workbook1                                              Workbook2
> Workbook3
>       A B C  A B C  A B C
>       1 4 7  10 1 16  1 4 7
>       2 5 8  11 14 17  2 5 8
>       3 6 9  12 15 18  3 6 9
>             10 1 16
>             11 14 17
>             12 15 18
>

> Tuesday... after we have made updates the new items are indicated in red
>
> Workbook1                                              Workbook2
> Workbook3
>
>       A B C  A B C  A B C
>       1 4 7  10 1 16  1 4 7
>       2 5 8  11 14 17  2 5 8
>       3 6 9  12 15 18  3 6 9
>       1 3 5  7 9 11  1 3 5
>       2 4 6  8 10 12  2 4 6
>             10 1 16
>             11 14 17
>             12 15 18
>             7 9 11
>             8 10 12
>

> Wednesday etc......
>
> The problem I run into when I try to record this macro is that I need for
it
> to look in the entire column "A" for any additions and copy all data and
> paste it into Column "A" then it needs to look in the entire column "B"
and
> paste in column "B" where the last piece of data in column "B" from
> workbook1 stopped. When I have tried to record in the past it will copy
all
> of column "A" in workbook1 but when it copies all of "A" in workbook2 it
> only recognizes where I told it to start previously so it essentially
copies
> over all of the "new" data from column "A" in workbook1.
>
> Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>
> Judd

0
Don
4/28/2005 3:00:54 PM
Don,
Ok... This is what I have come up with.

I need this to look at column "A" Column "B" etc... and copy column "A" just
the data that is in column "A" and paste to Column "C" and do the same for
column "B" .  This data will be added and subtracted to daily so it must
know where the last item in column "A" is and add it to column "C" on the
new workbook then copy the data in column "B" and add to the new workbook
where the data from column "A" left off.

Sub Macro1()

'If each column has a heading, change the 1's to 2's

Dim myRange As Range

Set myRange = Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlDown))

Workbooks.Add

Sheets("Sheet1").Activate

myRange.Copy Range("C1")

Set myRange = Range("B1", Range("B1").End(xlDown))

myRange.Copy Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1)

End Sub

This so far is doing what I need it to do by copying column "A" and opening
a new workbook and adding to colum "C" in this new workbook, and I think it
is trying to copy "B" but I keep receiving the following message "Run-time
error 1004 the information cannot be pasted because the copy and paste area
are not the same size and shape"

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Judd

"Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message
> As usual, you should post your code for comments but
> x=cells(rows.count,"a").end(xlup).row
> will give you the last row in the column desired so
> .copy cells(x,1) will copy to the last row in col A
>

> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> <judd_sandstrom@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I am trying to record a macro that will pull from several different
>> workbooks with active data. For Example: I want to take the data in
>> workbook1 column "A" and copy and paste it to column "A" in workbook3,
> then
>> look at workbook2 and copy and paste the data in column "A" to the first
>> open cell in workbook3 column "A". It then needs to do the same thing for
>> column "B" & "C".  The data in workbooks 1 & 2  columns "A",  "B" & "C"
> will
>> be changing daily. So workbook1 column "A", "B" & "C" will look like the
>> following.......
>>
>> Monday...
>>
>> Workbook1                                              Workbook2
>> Workbook3
>>       A B C  A B C  A B C
>>       1 4 7  10 1 16  1 4 7
>>       2 5 8  11 14 17  2 5 8
>>       3 6 9  12 15 18  3 6 9
>>             10 1 16
>>             11 14 17
>>             12 15 18
>>

>> Tuesday... after we have made updates the new items are indicated in red
>>
>> Workbook1                                              Workbook2
>> Workbook3
>>
>>       A B C  A B C  A B C
>>       1 4 7  10 1 16  1 4 7
>>       2 5 8  11 14 17  2 5 8
>>       3 6 9  12 15 18  3 6 9
>>       1 3 5  7 9 11  1 3 5
>>       2 4 6  8 10 12  2 4 6
>>             10 1 16
>>             11 14 17
>>             12 15 18
>>             7 9 11
>>             8 10 12
>>

>> Wednesday etc......
>>
>> The problem I run into when I try to record this macro is that I need for
> it
>> to look in the entire column "A" for any additions and copy all data and
>> paste it into Column "A" then it needs to look in the entire column "B"
> and
>> paste in column "B" where the last piece of data in column "B" from
>> workbook1 stopped. When I have tried to record in the past it will copy
> all
>> of column "A" in workbook1 but when it copies all of "A" in workbook2 it
>> only recognizes where I told it to start previously so it essentially
> copies
>> over all of the "new" data from column "A" in workbook1.
>>
>> Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Judd

try it this way

> [...]
> >>
> >> The problem I run into when I try to record this macro is that I need
for
> > it
> >> to look in the entire column "A" for any additions and copy all data
and
> >> paste it into Column "A" then it needs to look in the entire column "B"
> > and
> >> paste in column "B" where the last piece of data in column "B" from
> >> workbook1 stopped. When I have tried to record in the past it will copy
> > all
> >> of column "A" in workbook1 but when it copies all of "A" in workbook2
it
> >> only recognizes where I told it to start previously so it essentially
> > copies
> >> over all of the "new" data from column "A" in workbook1.
> >>
> >> Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

0
Don
5/4/2005 12:39:10 PM
This code works however it does not copy and paste column "B" in the
existing workbook into column "C" to the new workbook

Sub Macro1()
'If each column has a heading, change the 1's to 2's
 Dim myRange As Range
 Set myRange = Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlDown))
 Workbooks.Add
 'Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
 myRange.Copy Range("C1")
 'Set myRange = Range("B1", Range("B1").End(xlDown))
 'myRange.Copy Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1)
 End Sub

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

> [...]
>>
>> myRange.Copy Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1)
>>
>> End Sub
>>

>> This so far is doing what I need it to do by copying column "A" and
> opening
>> a new workbook and adding to colum "C" in this new workbook, and I think
> it
>> is trying to copy "B" but I keep receiving the following message
>> "Run-time
>> error 1004 the information cannot be pasted because the copy and paste
> area
>> are not the same size and shape"
>>

>> Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> Judd
>>

>> "Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message
>> > As usual, you should post your code for comments but
>> > x=cells(rows.count,"a").end(xlup).row
>> > will give you the last row in the column desired so
>> > .copy cells(x,1) will copy to the last row in col A

Then you may desire to change A to B????

--
> [...]
> >>
> >> Dim myRange As Range
> >>
> >> Set myRange = Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlDown))
> >>
> >> Workbooks.Add
> >>
> >> Sheets("Sheet1").Activate
> >>
> >> myRange.Copy Range("C1")
> >>
> >> Set myRange = Range("B1", Range("B1").End(xlDown))
> >>
> >> myRange.Copy Range("C65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1)
> >>
> >> End Sub
> >>

> >> This so far is doing what I need it to do by copying column "A" and
> > opening
> >> a new workbook and adding to colum "C" in this new workbook, and I
think
> > it
> >> is trying to copy "B" but I keep receiving the following message
> >> "Run-time
> >> error 1004 the information cannot be pasted because the copy and paste
> > area
> >> are not the same size and shape"
> >>

> >> Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0
Don

IMFv2 Microsoft Update caught in "needs update" loop after January 5, 2005 Update (Exchange 2003 SP2)
We applied Exchange 2003 SP2 last year without incident, and we enabled and configured IMFv2 to pull updates down from Microsoft Update with no problems. The December 15, 2005 IMF Update (6.5.7757.0) was identified and installed correctly last year. Last night as part of the regular monthly updates, a new update to IMF was identified, January 5, 2006 IMF Update (6.5.7765.0), we applied it along with the other Critical Updates and rebooted the server. When the server came back up shortly after, Automatic Updates identified the old December Update to IMF as needing to be installed even th...

Macro warning with no macros

Allow change to Activity Views in MS CRM
a CRM Administrator should be able to customise Activity Views and change the views to reflect pecific information eg of views Signed on Users Activites Closed /Open My Open Activites My Closed Activites Should, but unfortunately in the current release, they can't. This will be addressed in CRM 2005 though. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:57:03 -0800, "N.Pinto" <N.Pinto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: a CRM Administrator should be able to customise Activity Views...

Update
Thanks in advance... How do I get this to auto update after the Tickbox has been changed without clicking in Name_on_trophy Private Sub Name_on_trophy_Click() If Tickbox = False Then Name_on_trophy.Enabled = True Name_on_trophy.Locked = False Else Name_on_trophy = Player Name_on_trophy.Locked = True End If End Sub ...

Macro

Macro

Verifying Update
I have a dbase file (ODBC) with 1 record which I use for counters. I have noticed that there is a delay in the update actually going through after the Update command has been issued from a fraction of a second to 2 or 3 seconds. How can I verify that the update has actually gone through? If I could do this I could make the program wait before continuing. Or how can I speed up the update? Thanks. Hi, If your purspose is only to keep a counter, then its always better to use registry. cheers Jagadeesh "Charles C." <binstar@aei.ca> wrote in message news:#KnyaSl6DHA.1816@...

Run macro automatically.

Help with macro/and or formula?

Attached Toolbars Macros

Help with an update
Somebody can tell me why i cant installe update Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB953297) I tried to installe update many times but dont work . What i can do...can help me? Thank you. Copied announcement from MowGreen To: *All Windows Users* who encounter installation issues when installing Security updates for .NET Frameworks Every time there's a Security update for .NET Frameworks there is an inordinate amount of posts dealing...

Check that corrective update from the MS Corp.
--saljbnwyqhdb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="bxmtmdlub"; type="multipart/alternative" --bxmtmdlub Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="gznbhdcpjj" --gznbhdcpjj Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect your compute...

Protected sheets and running macros

what does "no more new fonts may be added to this workbook" mean?
I get this message dialog box when I try to change the source data in an excel file chart. However, I don't undertand why it occrus. My intention is not to add any "font" data but just to change the source data reference of the chart. does anyone know WTF is up here?! http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "NaridaRovi" <NaridaRovi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B50E2E3-A661-4FA1-B604-3...

Macro to remove rows?

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Calling on a macro within a macro!

Impossible to change Messenger picture in Windows Live
I have a very annoying problem with the Messenger picture: An old picture (which I no longer want to use) from Windows Live Messenger is still showing up if my contacts click on my Windows Live name in their contact list. This old picture is also the one which shows up if a contact clicks in my name in Messenger when I am not logged in. Whne I am logged in my normal picture is displayed in Messenger. I have tried in vain to change this by adjusting the settings in my Windows Live profile, but it does not seem to work. I really need help! I should add that this old pictu...

Inbox not updating

shortcut keys to macros

Problem using "Update retirement account" in Money 2005
I'm having trouble updating my 401k account using "Update retirement account" for my end of 2004 statement. There is one specific investement that produces the following error: "... will cause the balance of 'xx' held in this investment account to become negative at some point. Please cancel or revise the transaction." If I try to do the "Dividend" and the "Buy" transactions manually then I get the following error when I try to do the "Dividend" transaction: "You have not purchased 'xx' in this Investment Account...

Shared Workbook #14
How do I set up the files so that a file in the public drive (Read-only) would be a mirror imgage of the file in the personal drive? Would a shared workbook work? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Tom ...

help Unable to record Macro !!!!!!!

Macro that password protects a sheet

reference to closed workbook
the INDIRECT formula will not pull values from a closed workbook, wha is a solution to this? I am trying to reference a cell in a closed workbook on a sheet tha has the same name as the active sheet, so I want to be able to us MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255) in the referenc to the other workbook... thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com "buckyduke >wrote... > INDIRECT formula will not pull values from a closed workbook, what > is a solution to this? > > I am trying to reference a cell in a closed wor...