macro to insert rows between sets of records

I have data that looks like this:

name  class  title
joe    class1   assistant
mary   class1   assistant
zelda  class1   assistant
al   class1   professor
ben   class1   professor
cleo   class1   professor
dan   class1   professor
alice   class2   student
barb   class2   student
claire   class2   student

...and so on the spreadsheet goes.  What I want to do is create a macr
that will insert 2 blank lines between each 'title' group and insert
line above the groupings with the title on it.. so that the resultin
spread sheet looks like:

name  class  title

assistant
joe    class1   assistant
mary   class1   assistant
zelda   class1   assistant

professor
al   class1   professor
ben   class1  professor
cleo   class1   professor
dan   class1   professor

student
alice  class2   student
barb   class2   student
claire   class2   student

Can someone help me with such a macro for Excel?
Thanks

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

AA,

Try the sub below.  Change the

myCol = 3

to correspond to your column of titles (column C = 3)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Sub TryNow()
Dim myRow As Long
Dim myCount As Long
Dim myCol As Integer

myCol = 3
myCount = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

For myRow = myCount - 1 To 1 Step -1
If Cells(myRow, myCol).Value <> Cells(myRow + 1, myCol).Value Then
Range(Cells(myRow + 1, myCol), Cells(myRow + 2, myCol)).EntireRow.Insert
Cells(myRow + 2, 1).Value = Cells(myRow + 3, myCol).Value
End If
Next myRow
End Sub

"felder >" <<felder.1adj02@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have data that looks like this:
>
> name  class  title
> joe    class1   assistant
> mary   class1   assistant
> zelda  class1   assistant
> al   class1   professor
> ben   class1   professor
> cleo   class1   professor
> dan   class1   professor
> alice   class2   student
> barb   class2   student
> claire   class2   student
>
> ..and so on the spreadsheet goes.  What I want to do is create a macro
> that will insert 2 blank lines between each 'title' group and insert a
> line above the groupings with the title on it.. so that the resulting
> spread sheet looks like:
>
> name  class  title
>
> assistant
> joe    class1   assistant
> mary   class1   assistant
> zelda   class1   assistant
>

> professor
> al   class1   professor
> ben   class1  professor
> cleo   class1   professor
> dan   class1   professor
>

> student
> alice  class2   student
> barb   class2   student
> claire   class2   student
>
> Can someone help me with such a macro for Excel?
> Thanks
> AA
>

> ---

Bernie

Macro warning with no macros

deleting rows #4
In microsoft encell 2000 when i delete a row (say row 5) the row disapears but so does the row number then all other rows are moved up is there a way to delete the row and keep the number 5? The row number shouldn't disappear unless you are hiding the row, not deleting it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Doctorpc631" <doctorpc631@aol.com> wrote in message news:e4FaNYV4EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In microsoft encell 2000 when i delete a row (say row 5) the row > disapears > but s...

Setting default email fonts
We are running Exchange 2003/SP2 and the clients are running Outlook 2003/SP3. Is it possible to change the default fonts that the users see in Outlook on the Exchange server itself? Or it requires us to go to each user's desk to change the fonts? thanks. On Fri, 7 May 2010 08:29:01 -0700, wli2k2 <wli2k2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are running Exchange 2003/SP2 and the clients are running Outlook 2003/SP3. > >Is it possible to change the default fonts that the users see in Outlook on >the Exchange server itself? Or it requires us to go to e...

Re Outlook 2003 settings
When I setup my POP3 email account in Outlook 2003, it was automatically setup to connect thru LAN, even though my Internet connection is thru 56k modem--at least right now. I do have a built in LAN, but it is not connected at this time. I want to be able to poll for mail. Should I leave it set to LAN and check the modem box to connect when off line? Currently I manually dial my ISP--settings for dial up in Internet Explorer are set to never dial. Do I change this to always dial or will I end up sometimes having 2 dialers running--one from Network connections and one from Internet ...

Macro

when inserting a chart excel is saying i cannot add any new fonts
When I attempt to insert a chart i am getting a message which says,"no new fonts may be added to this workbook". I am adding it to a billing process and I did the first 100 or so before it began this doing this, I am not adding any new fonts but I am getting this message, any suggestions on what is the cause so I can overcome it? I've described the problem and fix here: Error: "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook" http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltier...

inserting a picture
hi I need your expertise regarding inserting a picture in word 2007. When I hit the office button and go to open then my pictures, pick the picture i want and then click open. After that it brings up the convert file dialogue box and i cant bring up the picture. Can you help me with this problem? Thank you , Joe. Hi, I am not that sure why that problem is happening but i believe that it is having problem importing pictures that are in another format. I want to know a few things: Where did you get the picture? What is its file extension? Make sure that your pictu...

Copying a variable nuimber of rows
I want to copy the most recent 10 rows (excluding the header row) from worksheet A to worksheet B. My problem is how do I define a variable number of rows if there are fewer than 10 lines completed? I do not want to copy any blank lines. I am fairly new to VBA and am struggling to work out the code for this so any help will be gratefully appreciated. John Try With Activesheet LastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row if LastRow > 10 Then FirstRow = LastRow - 9 Else FirstRow = 1 EndIf ...

Macro

Attached Toolbars Macros

Graphics Insert into Publisher Doc.
When ever I insert a graphic into my publisher docs. they appear as a series of dashes around the perimeter of the graphic & across the diagonals of the graphic not the actual graphic I am trying to work with. Can anyone advise of a fix as this is driving me insane. Regards, Longa Do you have detailed display enabled? View, pictures, detailed display... Otherwise you may need to update your graphics/video driver. Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab. If your images appear, then go to the manufacturer...

Changing Rows to Columns
Is it possible to easily rotate a spreadsheet or part of a spreadshet, to change the data in rows to columns? Do to a sorting problem in the charts I create, it seems I have to sort the data in the spreadsheet first. Any help would be appreciated. Hi, Sure is a way. select & copy your data. then select the cell where you want to re-paste; right-click and select paste special; in the dialog box check "transpose". Ok. jeff >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to easily rotate a spreadsheet or part of a >spreadshet, to change the data in rows to columns? D...

Need to set extra hard return
Hi, This must be a very basic thing, but I have been asked to submit a paper with extra hard returns in Word. How do I do this? Can anyone help me out please? Thanks. Viju vijuhegde wrote: > This must be a very basic thing, but I have been asked to submit a > paper with extra hard returns in Word. How do I do this? Can anyone > help me out please? Ask whomever assigned this task to explain this task. Essentially a "hard return" signifies the end of a paragraph. It's simply pressing ENTER. The "soft return" is just a way to start a new line - h...

OLE notes
Is there somewhere where I can set a preference on where OLE notes are stored for a company using GP 9. Right now, by default, the notes are stored in a folder on the desktop of Windows Servers 2003. Since I have multiple companies running, this is rather untidy. :-) More importantly, because of backup considerations, I want to set the default path to a location in the programs directory. To determine where OLE Notes are stored in Microsoft Dynamics GP, follow these steps: 1. Locate the dex.ini file in the folder where Microsoft Dynamics GP is installed. 2. Double-click the dex.ini f...

Run macro automatically.

Help with macro/and or formula?

Protected sheets and running macros

Cannot insert new rows
I am running excel 2007 and I have 23 worksheets in a workbook. I have no links or hidden rows or colums. My biggest sheet is A1: AW8096. I use VB macros to add lines and move data from one set of workbooks to this one. I have built several sheets using this proceedure. All of a sudden I get the error "Cannot shift objects off sheet" when I run a routine I have 50,000 times. I have checked to make sure there are no hidden comments, row or columns. I have deleted most of the worksheets and I still get the error. I have made copies of the workbook and used different file ...

SQL Statement Insert Into
I need to append data from one table1 to table2 using the field in table3 as the criteria. This field in question is 'account number'. How can I write a sql statement to accomplish this? Troy, What binds the tables? In other words, how are they related to each other? Unless the account number is the same for every entity in Table2? -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Troy" <Troy@discussions.mic...

Set as primary. Does not keep setting
I am trying to set a user accounts default email from firstname@here.com to lastname@here.com. When I apply the changes and close the properties window and re-open it. The settings are back to firstname@here.com. The users account name is firstname. The user has 2 email addresses listed. Firstname@here.com and lastname@here.com. We are running SBS 2003. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can change it. Also is this the correct change that needs to be done so people see the reply to email as lastname@here.com and also in the global addresses? thanks Bill On Tue...

Macro to remove rows?

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Calling on a macro within a macro!

shortcut keys to macros

Turn off auto adjust of row heights
I have a complex spreadsheet for my catalogue of products. I have set row heights, fonts and sizes of texts for different rows. Every now and then my row heights are automatically changed by EXCEL. I have turned off word wrap I have locked/protected my sheet. How can I stop EXCEL automatically readjusting row heights at its discretion. Thanks ...