Macro deleting rows including some valu/ewpression

Hey guys
In some of the cells in column A  - Range("A2:A") - there are
expressions including the frace/part: "\old\".
I want to remove all rows including this frace and keep the remaining
ones.

The nearest I can get is something like this, but (of cause) my
attempt was not very successful.
(Yeah - I know I stole/borrowed it from someone else and tryed to
ajust it ...forgive me)

     Sub Delete_OLD_rows()
        Dim cell As Range
        Dim delRange As Range
        For Each cell In Range("A2:B" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End
(xlUp).Row)
            If cell.Value = ""*\OLD\* Then
                If delRange Is Nothing Then
                    Set delRange = cell
                Else
                    Set delRange = Union(delRange, cell)
                End If
            End If
        Next cell
        If Not delRange Is Nothing Then delRange.EntireRow.Delete
    End Sub

Wil you please help me?
Best regards
Snoopy

0
Snoopy
1/7/2010 2:55:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Snoopy,

There is no such thing as "stealing" code, if it has been posted. It is there for you to use and
learn from, so steal away....

Anyway, here is how you would do it within your framework.  You could also use InStr, or step up the
rows from bottom to top, deleting as you go, or you could sort first, and do a block deletion,
filter and delete, etc.  There are a LOT of different ways.

Sub Delete_OLD_rows()
Dim cell As Range
Dim delRange As Range
For Each cell In Range("A2:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    If UCase(cell.Value) Like "*\OLD\*" Then
        If delRange Is Nothing Then
            Set delRange = cell
        Else
            Set delRange = Union(delRange, cell)
        End If
    End If
Next cell
If Not delRange Is Nothing Then delRange.EntireRow.Delete
End Sub

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Snoopy" <blaksnm@jjuc.no> wrote in message
> Hey guys
> In some of the cells in column A  - Range("A2:A") - there are
> expressions including the frace/part: "\old\".
> I want to remove all rows including this frace and keep the remaining
> ones.
>
> The nearest I can get is something like this, but (of cause) my
> attempt was not very successful.
> (Yeah - I know I stole/borrowed it from someone else and tryed to
> ajust it ...forgive me)
>
>     Sub Delete_OLD_rows()
>        Dim cell As Range
>        Dim delRange As Range
>        For Each cell In Range("A2:B" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End
> (xlUp).Row)
>            If cell.Value = ""*\OLD\* Then
>                If delRange Is Nothing Then
>                    Set delRange = cell
>                Else
>                    Set delRange = Union(delRange, cell)
>                End If
>            End If
>        Next cell
>        If Not delRange Is Nothing Then delRange.EntireRow.Delete
>    End Sub
>
> Wil you please help me?
> Best regards
> Snoopy

0
Bernie

Macro warning with no macros

deleting rows #4
In microsoft encell 2000 when i delete a row (say row 5) the row disapears but so does the row number then all other rows are moved up is there a way to delete the row and keep the number 5? The row number shouldn't disappear unless you are hiding the row, not deleting it -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Doctorpc631" <doctorpc631@aol.com> wrote in message news:e4FaNYV4EHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In microsoft encell 2000 when i delete a row (say row 5) the row > disapears > but s...

Macro

Macro

Run macro automatically.

Help with macro/and or formula?

Changing Rows to Columns
Is it possible to easily rotate a spreadsheet or part of a spreadshet, to change the data in rows to columns? Do to a sorting problem in the charts I create, it seems I have to sort the data in the spreadsheet first. Any help would be appreciated. Hi, Sure is a way. select & copy your data. then select the cell where you want to re-paste; right-click and select paste special; in the dialog box check "transpose". Ok. jeff >-----Original Message----- >Is it possible to easily rotate a spreadsheet or part of a >spreadshet, to change the data in rows to columns? D...

Attached Toolbars Macros

Cannot insert new rows
I am running excel 2007 and I have 23 worksheets in a workbook. I have no links or hidden rows or colums. My biggest sheet is A1: AW8096. I use VB macros to add lines and move data from one set of workbooks to this one. I have built several sheets using this proceedure. All of a sudden I get the error "Cannot shift objects off sheet" when I run a routine I have 50,000 times. I have checked to make sure there are no hidden comments, row or columns. I have deleted most of the worksheets and I still get the error. I have made copies of the workbook and used different file ...

Troubleshooting Delete #2
Roady - I thought originally I had said I was trying to delete an old message from Outbox in Outlook. It will not delete and says that "mapi spooler" whatever and has originally begun transmitting. I have tried to put Outlook in offline work mode, it will still not delete. I have tried to move the message to another folder, but it will not move. Outlook would go back online by itself. So, then, I tried disconnecting the cable for the internet, restarted, and tried to delete again. No go. I browsed other discussions and saw that you had recommended using a shift delete. This a...

Deleting Unusual Recurrence of a scheduled item.
Hello, I have a strange problem. Somehow, I have an event that recurs every day until Dec 22 2005. I have no idea how this happened, but when I delete one, I don't get any message about deleting the series, meaning I have to delete this entry for each day from here to Dec 22 2005. The easy way is of course, to ignore the entry, but I would really like to clean it up. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks! Rick RWC <rcollens_SPAMONATOR_@hemmingway.com> wrote: > I have a strange problem. Somehow, I have an event that recurs every > day until Dec 22 2005. I have no ide...

Protected sheets and running macros

Macro to remove rows?

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Calling on a macro within a macro!

delete folder from personal folders
i have accidentally deleted a folder from my personal folder and when i restore the pst file i cannot find it! any ideas? ...

Trend Line constants as Excel Cell Values
I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel Cells. Are there formula's to do this? Equation is Y = Ax(2) + Bx + C. I want the value of A,B and C in seperate cells. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? Thanks -- Ken Hi Ken, Supposing your x-range is in A2:A10, and y-range in B2:B10, select a 3-column x 1-row area and enter the following formula and confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. =LINEST(B2:B10,A2:A10^{0,1,2},0,) Regards, B. R. Ramachandran "Ken" wrote: > I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel &g...

Turn off auto adjust of row heights
I have a complex spreadsheet for my catalogue of products. I have set row heights, fonts and sizes of texts for different rows. Every now and then my row heights are automatically changed by EXCEL. I have turned off word wrap I have locked/protected my sheet. How can I stop EXCEL automatically readjusting row heights at its discretion. Thanks ...

shortcut keys to macros

help Unable to record Macro !!!!!!!

Again
This has been an issue for a few weeks now. I have observed not only an arbitrary deletion of a message that came into my Inbox about 2 minutes before, but also seeing the Deleted Items folder being completely emptied. Both actions took place within a few seconds of each other This occured with zero user input from me and there are no user recipient policies in place. The enviroment is Exchange 2000\SP3 under Windows 2k, fully patched Nothing out of the ordinary in event viewer. No recipient message policies. No nothing. Any thoughts? George Do you see vanished messages as rec...

Macro that password protects a sheet

Inserting Rows
Hi, I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a time and then selecting 'insert row'? Thanks Ben Hi Ben have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2pt5r Frank Ben wrote: > Hi, > > I have 500+ rows of data that I would like to insert a > blank row in between each row. Is there a globabl way of > doing it rather than having to click on each row one at a > time and then selecting 'insert row'? > > Thanks > > Ben Thanks...

Footer Macro?
Hi Months ago I read a Public Sub Macro that read the selection of a drop down list in a combo box and placed it in the center Footer at the same time it also placed the date in the right Footer and tme in the left footer. I have searched most of the regular sites including this one and cannot find it anywhere --- Can anyone help with my search. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully ...

Task created in workflow-how to catch if deleted?
Hi, I have several rather complex workflows set up for a client. They work wonderfully as long as the activity records are either completed or canceled or either. But, if a user deletes a task record that was created by Workflow, the workflow just sits there..... I removed the Delete permission on Activity Records for a couple users....but...what can i do about everyone else. Is there a way to prevent tasks from being deleted if they are created from workflow? Or A way to identify those that have been created from a workflow and deleted by a user? Ultimately, we do not want an...