Macro creation question

I have a spreadsheet that has 20 rows of figures that I want to calculate
with a resulting total at the bottom.  I can easily create a macro that will
automate this task so I could run it on other spreadsheets.  However, the
other spreadsheets (there are hundreds of them) may have any number of rows
to calculate.(The raw data is coming from scanned documents directly into
Excel).  Can I have a macro that will do the calculations I want no matter
how many rows there are in the spreadsheet?

All the columns are identical, I just want to automate an otherwise time
consuming job.

Thanks,
Ted

0
ted3059 (2)
7/22/2004 7:09:55 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ted,

For example, to put a sum at the bottom on the current column, with your
numbers starting in Row 2

Sub SumAtBottomOfCurrentColumn()
Dim myCell As Range
Set myCell = Cells(65536, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp)(2)
With myCell
    .Formula = "=SUM(" & _
    Range(.Offset(-1, 0), _
    Cells(2, .Column)).Address(False, False) & ")"
End With
End Sub

To do columns A through H, you could use

Sub PutSums()
Dim i As Integer
For i = 1 To 8
Cells(1,i).Select
SumAtBottomOfCurrentColumn
End Sub

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ted" <ted@hallkistler.com> wrote in message
> I have a spreadsheet that has 20 rows of figures that I want to calculate
> with a resulting total at the bottom.  I can easily create a macro that
will
> automate this task so I could run it on other spreadsheets.  However, the
> other spreadsheets (there are hundreds of them) may have any number of
rows
> to calculate.(The raw data is coming from scanned documents directly into
> Excel).  Can I have a macro that will do the calculations I want no matter
> how many rows there are in the spreadsheet?
>
> All the columns are identical, I just want to automate an otherwise time
> consuming job.
>
> Thanks,
> Ted

0
Bernie
7/22/2004 7:42:46 PM
Thanks very much for the help, Bernie.   I appreciate it.
"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
> Ted,
>
> For example, to put a sum at the bottom on the current column, with your
> numbers starting in Row 2
>
> Sub SumAtBottomOfCurrentColumn()
> Dim myCell As Range
> Set myCell = Cells(65536, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp)(2)
> With myCell
>     .Formula = "=SUM(" & _
>     Range(.Offset(-1, 0), _
>     Cells(2, .Column)).Address(False, False) & ")"
> End With
> End Sub
>
> To do columns A through H, you could use
>
> Sub PutSums()
> Dim i As Integer
> For i = 1 To 8
> Cells(1,i).Select
> SumAtBottomOfCurrentColumn
> End Sub
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Ted" <ted@hallkistler.com> wrote in message
> > I have a spreadsheet that has 20 rows of figures that I want to
calculate
> > with a resulting total at the bottom.  I can easily create a macro that
> will
> > automate this task so I could run it on other spreadsheets.  However,
the
> > other spreadsheets (there are hundreds of them) may have any number of
> rows
> > to calculate.(The raw data is coming from scanned documents directly
into
> > Excel).  Can I have a macro that will do the calculations I want no
matter
> > how many rows there are in the spreadsheet?
> >
> > All the columns are identical, I just want to automate an otherwise time
> > consuming job.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ted

0
ted3059 (2)

Macro warning with no macros

Macro

Yet another timers-and-threads question
I've got a requirement to be able to set a timer and be told when it expires, eg by a callback. SetTimer with WM_TIMER is not generally useful, as you have to have a window, and some of the threads in which I want to do this don't have windows. SetTimer with callback function is not generally useful, as it's not sufficient that there's a message pump somewhere in the *application*, there has to be a message pump in the *thread* that calls SetTimer (well documented, that, not), and some of the threads in which I want to do this don't have message pumps. CreateWaitableTime...

Macro

This is My Test Question 2 .. Please Ignore
This is My Test Question 2 .. Please Ignore This is my reply 2 "Vigneshwaran Sivakumar (Wipro Ltd.)" <v-vsivak@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0E362A2-1089-46D1-A6EB-B600CBCECF0D@microsoft.com... > This is My Test Question 2 .. Please Ignore ...

Run macro automatically.

Help with macro/and or formula?

Attached Toolbars Macros

iif question
This should be an easy one for you gurus... I a cell, I have a NOW() function that keeps updating everytime a value changes. =IF(F22 = "","",NOW()) Isn't there a way to capture the date/time and "lock it" so that it doesn't change? I'm keeping track of user input date & time values. tia, -- JMorrell Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html In article <5FD7764D-9253-423F-A09B-3E2598D89A61@microsoft.com>, "JMorrell" <JMorrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > This should be an easy o...

Protected sheets and running macros

A question.
Hello,I have a question about socket. Can I open 2000 socket in a socket-server? When I use socket api,I find I must create 2000 thread to receive the client data. but I can't do it in a process.Is there anyone who have a better way to resolve it. Who can help me?can i use CSocket to resolve it?may be someone can give me some sample code.thanks by the way I use TCP (not udp).Can I use Tcp? "lxg" <lixngang@163.com> wrote in message news:OSM7RoW3DHA.2888@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello,I have a question about socket. > Can I open 2000 socket in a socket-server? >...

Macro to remove rows?

Macro Freezes Reading Pane

Calling on a macro within a macro!

shortcut keys to macros

Prevent creation of Contacts
Hi We would like to prevent our sales people from creating contacts at the Lead stage. We do not want to remove the ability for sales people to create contacts however we would like to prevent them from associating Opportunities with Contacts. We have inserted the following script, crmForm.all.customerid.setAttribute("lookuptypes","1"), on the Opportunity form however this does not prevent sales people from associating Contacts with Opportunities from the conversion of a Lead. If this is not possible perhaps we should create an alert on the Opportunity which che...

help Unable to record Macro !!!!!!!

Macro that password protects a sheet

Footer Macro?
Hi Months ago I read a Public Sub Macro that read the selection of a drop down list in a combo box and placed it in the center Footer at the same time it also placed the date in the right Footer and tme in the left footer. I have searched most of the regular sites including this one and cannot find it anywhere --- Can anyone help with my search. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully ...

Keyboard Shortcut in Macro
Hi all i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it to Ctrl+z how can i do it . regards Tools-->Macro-->Macros. Select (don't open!) your macro, and hit the Options button. :) ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "osaka78" <osaka78@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1721A458-212D-4446-8209-494A459EE428@microsoft.com... > Hi all > i'v created macro with Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+b . now i want to change it > to > Ctrl+z > how can i do it . > > regards THE MACRO IS NO...

Macros have been disabled but there is no macro
when I open a specific doc the info bar at the top says "Macros have been disabled", but when I hit Alt+F11 I can't find any VB or a module to remove. Why is it telling me about macros? Other docs don't give me this prompt. I thought I might have to enable macros to see the code. When I enabled macro, it said "do you want to save changes to this doc?" it flickered and came back as if immediately reopened. Any ideas? I could copy and paste the text into a new doc but I'd be interested to be able to strip off this problem. The doc is an internal IT ...

Bcc Question #3
If you send an email and specify a recipient in the Bcc field, what happens if the Person the email is sent to replies with "reply to all"? Does the Bcc person get the reply. If so will the Bcc person show up as a recipient on the reply I receive. They do not receive the reply all and will not show up in the recipients. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Leon asked: | I...

Run multiple Macros or macros from within other macros ?
I would like to run multiple macros at startup. What code should be used in the Private Sub Application_Startup command in the ThisOutlookSession area ? If the names of my macros were below what would the code to look like ? Macro1 Macro2 Macro3 I have looked at the samples from previous posts and cannot determine how to make them apply specifically to my needs. In Excel you can use the Run "Macro1" line and it would run that macro. Run does not work in Outlook I suppose because I kept getting an error. **** Also - What code is needed to execute a macro from w...

Startup macro
Is it possible for automatic start of macro in moment when excel file is opening. I mean when I open excel file specific macro will be immediately automatic started. Zeno option explicit sub auto_Open() call yourspecificmacronamehere end sub Zeno wrote: > > Is it possible for automatic start of macro in moment when excel file is > opening. > I mean when I open excel file specific macro will be immediately automatic > started. > > Zeno -- Dave Peterson ...

Macro Question #8
Hi: I have a group of several files with a simple macro that automatically goes to a specific worksheet at the time the file is opened. The code is as follows: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Worksheets ("TITLE").Select Range ("a1").Select End Sub The macro works properly when a single file is opened, but when I try to open several of the files at the same time I get the following error message: Run Time Error 1004 Select method of Worksheet Class Failed All of the files do open, but the macro appears to run on only the first file selected. All of the other files open ...