mac excel auto-form data entry list box question

hi,

i'm setting up a spreadsheet for data entry. i can set up the data as
a series of rows and add input validation constraints to them which
is all fine. but then i'd like to use the auto-form that excel can
generate and allow the user to add new records and enter the data in a
more
natural top to down approach. out of the box, just by hitting the form
option (pull down menu data > form) this is almost perfect except i
see that the list drop down options don't get rendered. while the
validation still occurs, i.e., the entered text must be one of the
options from
the drop down list, which is good what doesn't get shown is the little
triangle and the drop down list that the user can actually select

does anyone know how to do this? writing a custom form seems really
silly the only thing missing is the propagation of the drop down.

thanks folks,

Nic
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

how to do self-defined regression in excel?
Hi, I want to do regression ananlysis in excel using a sigmoid function, which is not offered in the general 6 functions in excel(by adding trendline). How can I do it? Thanks. The Analysis ToolPak - VBA addin has a regression function and probably everything else you want. Tools > AddIns then checkmark Analysis ToolPak - VBA Go back to Tools dropdown and it should be listed near the bottotm of the dropdown. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, I want to do regression ananlysis in excel using a >sigmoid function, which is not offered in the general 6 >functions in excel(by a...

using IIF to determine form state
hey all, I have a query that displays the content of a cd. on the main form i work with, the media form can be displayed as a subform of either Forms!frmMain!subfrm or Forms!frmMain!subfrmflt In the criteria for one of the fields, it references a value on the media form ([Text60]) this is how i'm trying to set the criteria: "[Forms]![frmMain]![" &iif(forms!frmmain!subfrmflt.visible=true,"subfrmflt","subfrm") & "]![Text60]" basically throwing an iif in the middle to determine whether the floating form is visible. I know it will work if ...

Excel formulas #9
I need a formula to compute a final grade for a class when there are assignments missing. I also need to figure out what my target grade is using goalseek?? I need an if formula that displays TRUE if you are currently passing your class and FALSE if you are not. Any help would be appreciated. To help you we would probably need a bit more information from you - 1)how will you calculate the final grade? (EG Average of Assignments 1-10) 2)What grade/percentage dertines the pass grade Kind regards Paul Falla >-----Original Message----- >I need a formula to compute a final grade for ...

Opening 2007 Excel files in 2003
I have installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats (FileFormatConverters.exe). Yet when I attempt to open a 2007 in 2003 it does not open. I get an error stating the ‘file is in an unrecognisable format, but no other message". Any ideas what to do when the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack does not work> Many thanks. Chris Hi, one thing you can do is to save the Excel 2007 file with the extension .html and open this new html file with Excel 2003. "Jedi" <Jedi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Switch to Mac?!
Dear all! I am seriously contemplating switching to Apple.... I usually hear screams of horror at this point, but given this is a Mac forum !... I have long been a Microsoft addict. I have the SPV phone, a Dell Axim, I have 3 pc desktops, 3 laptops- all running some form of Windows. I am even a Microsoft beta tester. BUT, I am sick of it. I want a change. One of my primary concerns about the switch is Office. I love office 2003 for the pc- BUT error messages are constant and outlook keeps crashing. I've looked on the Microsoft mactopia website and it all looks very good but of course...

Can you create charts for non-adjacent columns of data in XL2007?
I've recently installed Office 2007, and am rather unimpressed that it's considerably worse than 2000/XP/2003, all of which I have happily been creating charts from for years. Previously you could select any data you wanted by holding down control and selecting the cells, then create charts using those cells. However, in 2007, it seems that you can't select non-adjacent cells. This is a real problem for me as I'm constantly manipulating data and placing it in nearby cells, then selecting the columns I want and creating the required chart. For example: I have 3 columns o...

Web to Excel
Hi, Is there a way (standard or 3rd party) to have in a cell =getWeb("somewebsite.com") and have the html from that page appear in the cell? Thank you. Bura Not that I know of. But you can do File|Open and point at: http://somewebsite.com And depending on what that page is, you might be able to open it just like a ..xls file. And there's an option under: Data|Import External Data|New Web Query that can limit what you want to return. (The option changed names between different versions of excel, but I think they're similar. I used the wording from xl2002.) Bur...

title bar problem in Excel 2007
Sometimes when I start Excel for the first time after starting the PC, the title bar is overlaid with the status bar that would normally appear at the bottom of Excel, so I don't get to see the round Office button, and I see the zoom facility at the top, not the bottom, and the workspace is empty - no default empty spreadsheet. If I close Excel (by right clicking on the taskbar because there is X button to be seen) and then start it up, it then starts up fine. Excel was installed as part of Office 2007 SBE, running on Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Is this a known problem? I've not be...

2004 Mac Microsoft Excel: Lost corner! Can NOT shrink the window!! #3
I am new to Mac, so if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem I have, it will be appreciated. When I launch Excel, open an existing file by choosing 'open' under 'File' at toolbar, Excel opens up a window to show all the files, folders etc. from my computer HD and extermal HD etc. in one window with the tile 'Open: Microsoft Excel'. Somehow, this winow in my Excel program has corner push down out of screen. Therefore, I can not grab the corner to shrink the window to fit my computer screen. I barely see 'Cancel' and 'Open' icons at the bottom of the...

Proper way to store Form size in an XML config file? (Is this approach good?)
Hi, I need to store the size of my form in a config file. I was saving this in the registry, but I need it in a config file now. I came up with the following code. The part I'm not so sure about is where I call form.Height.ToString(). Should I be making use of some better built-in serialization capability? When I was usind the registry I was using TypeConverter to change things like Size, Location, BackgroundColor, etc. to strings. Is this the right way to do this in XML? Thanks, John System.Xml.XmlDocument d = new System.Xml.XmlDocument(); d.AppendChild(d.CreateXmlDeclaration("1...

Cannot open excel 2003 spreadsheet using excel 2007
Please Help!!! I have created some spreadsheets using excel 2003 but I cannot open them in 2007. Yes, the spreadsheets have formulas, calculations, links and some charts too (the size of the spreadsheet is about 58,569 KG). I have tried everything and nothing works. When the spreadsheet does open it is all missed up and missing formulas, calculations and all of the formatting. Does the size of the files have anything to do with me not able to open them? Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466...

Office for Mac apps "unexpectedly quit"
I am running Office X for Mac (2001 version) on my Powerbook G4 with OS X Tiger 10.4.11 I have never had any problems using my office suite until yesterday when I tried to open Word by clicking on the Word Icon in my Dock. It started to open and then a window came up saying "word has unexpectedly quit." I tried numerous times and each time got the same message. This also happens if I try to open Excel or Powerpoint. Interestingly, if I double click on an existing word, powerpoint or excel document the program opens with no problem. It just won't open by double clicking on the ap...

Add a data series dynamically to a named range?
Hi everyone I use Excel 2003 and have two columns of data (Date and Payment) in a dynamic named range which feeds a chart. Everything works fine, but is it possible to extend the idea horizontally so if I add a third column of data (Hours Worked), the dynamic named range extends and the chart accommodates the new data series automatically? I use a bar, colum or line chart so this information could be displayed in this way. Thank you for your time. One dynamic range will not feed a chart. The chart's total data range cannot be defined dynamically, you have to do it series-by-ser...

Excel Macro-enabled Worksheet
I've created some Macro/VBA code and added it to the personal.xlsb file located in the XLStart directory. When I insert an Excel Macro-Enabled Worksheet into a Powerpoint slide the macros are not available to that worksheet. This was working on a previous workstation, same OS and vs. of Office, but I cannot seem to get this to work now. Does anyone know how to extend these macros to Powerpoint when inserting a macro-enabled worksheet? Thanks. ...

Excel Macro Problem
I have an excel file taht cannot be open on a computer with WinXp Os and Excel 97 SR2 while enable its macro. However, I can open this file on other computers with the same OS and Excel ver. Also I have reported this problem to Microsoft. Where could I check the reply of Microsoft? Please tell me why this problem occur. Thanks. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Tyler <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I have an excel file taht cannot be open on a computer > with WinXp Os and Excel 97 SR2 while enable its macro. > However,...

Using Excel to Get Information Online?
I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was possible to have Excel take information from a website and display it in the cells. I believe I heard that it was possible to automatically have it do this at certain time intervals. How would I go about doing this or find related information? -- Losse ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Losse's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24813 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=389715 Try: Data - Import External Data - New Web Query From...

Upgrade Mac MSO v.X To Mac MSO 2004 To Mac MSO 2008
I own a G4 iMac 15-inch which runs 10.4.11. I plan to purchase an Intel iMac 24-inch soon. I am a registered user of MSO v.X. I wish to purchase the MSO 2004 upgrade at the discounted upgrade price which often sells for $203.99. Then I wish to upgrade MSO 2004 to MSO 2008 for the $6.99 upgrade price. Does my MSO v.X version qualify for the MSO 2004 upgrade price? Will the MSO 2004 installer recognize my MSO v.X installation as a qualifying upgradeable package? Is my MSO v.X to MSO 2008 upgrade path legitimate? On a sidebar, I plan to perform a fresh installation of MSO 2008 on the Inte...

date format in Excel #3
Hi All, What a wonderful mine of information this group is!!! Required daily reading to me. Thanks for the great contributions. Although I have managed to format a cell date (Excel in Office Pro 2000) with the "day" (e.g. "Friday" - as in dddd, dd mmm yyyy), I am stumped when it comes to putting a "th" or "nd" or "rd" (as in 1st/2nd/3rd etc...) Any ideas? TIA -- mac Take a look here: http://cpearson.com/excel/ordinal.htm In article <085A749B-889A-410F-B022-393684155179@microsoft.com>, "mac@bath" <barrydotjdotm...

Outlook 2010 Beta setup question
When going thru the setup process, the software automatically set me up as an IMAP account, not POP3. During that process the setup messages said that it also couldn’t set it up in an encrypted mode, so it did it unencrypted. I think I know the difference between IMAP and POP3, but I don’t know if I should be “encrypted” or not. In any case, there are two sets of headings for Inbox, Sent items, etc. On is under the heading “Outlook Data File”, and the other set is under myname@emailaddress.com. Also, the “Sent” folder under the latter is a sub-folder under “Inbox” whereas th...

Excel addon for Mac
For my marketing college class I had to buy a textbook that comes with Excel addon software. However, the software is Windows only. I own a Mac with office, Excel included. Does anyone know if there if a copy of the software for Macs? Textbook: Basic Marketing Research: Using Microsoft Excel Data Analysis Software: XL Data Analyst OS: Mac OS X 10.4.4 Office: Mac office 2004 Teacher/Student Edition I have also contacted the publisher of the book and they said they could not find a Mac version of the addon. A search of google leads to http://xldataanalyst.com/Basic/ -- Regards, Tush...

FRx
I am designing a variance analysis report that should retrieve data from both GP and Excel. The "Actual" values shall come from GP while the Budget and Forecast data shall come from Excel. This is straightforward using the "Separate Method" and having 2 WKS columns in the Colum layout. However, I also have one department where the "Actual" would also come from a spreadsheet. The values should be reported in the same column as for the data coming from GP. For the latter, I've set the type as GL in the colum layout. I am not sure how to read ...

Sort bug on Excel 2007
On Excel 2003 it works perfectly, on Excel 2007 I have error 1004 "sort method of range class failed". Sub SortSalary(CellToSort As String, SortRange1 As String) Sheets(1).Range(SortRange1).Sort Key1:=Range(CellToSort), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes End if Is it a bug on Excel 2007? I made a typo when copying the code is "End Sub". "Francisco" wrote: > On Excel 2003 it works perfectly, on Excel 2007 I have error 1004 "sort > method of range class failed". > > > Sub SortSalary(CellToSort As Strin...

Question regarding fields in a datasheet containing the same value
Hello, A piece of the database that I created is used to scheduleappointments. I have a form and then a subform detailing the day'sevents. The subform is defaulted to datasheet view. The datasheet hasthese fields: start_time, end_time, appointment, & date_scheduled. Theproblem that I am having though is this: It is necessary for my bossto have double entries in any given days schedule. I would like to addthe ability so if there are two entries that have the same start_timethe times in that field will turn red. I attempted doing this throughconditional formatting but had no luck. I...

Pocket Excel
I have a reasonably complicated excel quoting document that contains various formulae. Is there anyway I can check to see if it will work on Excel Pocket (PPC 2003) before I go out and buy a PDA. This will be it's primary function. Is there some kind of emulator or reduced down version of Excel I can use? Hi, The PocketPC 2003 SDK is available to download from MS, I'm not sure, but I was told (by someone I can't remember), that it may have the PPC2003 emulator in it. If so, you should be able to use that. You may also need to download ActiveSync 3.7 to be able to upload...

Excel Security Update KB973593
I am running a 64 Bit version of Vista Home Premium and Office Home and Student 2007. The office update KB973593 has been trying to install itself since October 2009 and I am finally tiring of it failing every night. The error code is 80070652. Otherwise Excel runs fine. I have the same problem with these other updates: KB973704, KB976416, KB974561 I have a Dell Studio 540S with 4GB of ram and plenty of diskspace. Word and Powerpoint work fine as well. Any thoughts? -- Todd Sorensen hi see this site http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officeinstall/thr...