Lost xls file

I worked on a Excel file in Outlook and closed it, saved the changes at the
prompt and later went looking for it. I cannot find it. I believe it went
into a "OLK" folder. I have tried all manner of searches and can only locate
5 xls files on my whole HD and I easily have 100+.
What am I doing wrong?

Rich
0
RichD (5)
10/27/2006 1:16:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When you open any attachment in Outlook, Outlook needs a location to store the
file--it has to unencode the file into its original format.

Outlook uses the Temporary Internet File folder to hold those files.

You may want to start saving them to your favorite location (rightclick on the
attachment to start this process).  Then go to that favorite location and just
open that file from there.

Alternatively, you could open the attachment, but before you do anything, do a
File|SaveAs and point at that favorite location.

If you reopen that attachment in Outlook, you may get lucky and have Outlook
store it in the same location.  If it does do that, you may get unlucky in that
this newly saved file could overwrite any changes you've made.

I do this (I'm not sure if it's the easiest way, but it works for me):

Open Internet Explorer
Tools|Internet Options|General Tab
In MSIE 7.0 (just available from MS), I click on the settings button under the
"Browsing History" section.
Then I click on View Files

Then I make sure I'm looking at Details (View|details)
And make sure I can see the last updated date (View|Choose Details)

Then I sort by that date (or by type or by name or by anything that will help me
find the file).

Then I rightclick|copy
and windows explorer, go to that favorite folder and rightclick paste.

======
If you wait too long to do this, the file could be overwritten or worse
deleted.  (Windows has a limit of how much space will be used for this stuff.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

----------

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> When you open any attachment in Outlook, Outlook needs a location to store the
> file--it has to unencode the file into its original format.
>
> Outlook uses the Temporary Internet File folder to hold those files.
>
> You may want to start saving them to your favorite location (rightclick on the
> attachment to start this process).  Then go to that favorite location and just
> open that file from there.
>
> Alternatively, you could open the attachment, but before you do anything, do a
> File|SaveAs and point at that favorite location.
>
> If you reopen that attachment in Outlook, you may get lucky and have Outlook
> store it in the same location.  If it does do that, you may get unlucky in that
> this newly saved file could overwrite any changes you've made.
>
> I do this (I'm not sure if it's the easiest way, but it works for me):
>
> Open Internet Explorer
> Tools|Internet Options|General Tab
> In MSIE 7.0 (just available from MS), I click on the settings button under the
> "Browsing History" section.
> Then I click on View Files
>
> Then I make sure I'm looking at Details (View|details)
> And make sure I can see the last updated date (View|Choose Details)
>
> Then I sort by that date (or by type or by name or by anything that will help me
> find the file).
>
> Then I rightclick|copy
> and windows explorer, go to that favorite folder and rightclick paste.
>
> ======
> If you wait too long to do this, the file could be overwritten or worse
> deleted.  (Windows has a limit of how much space will be used for this stuff.)
>

> Rich D wrote:
> >
> > I worked on a Excel file in Outlook and closed it, saved the changes at the
> > prompt and later went looking for it. I cannot find it. I believe it went
> > into a "OLK" folder. I have tried all manner of searches and can only locate
> > 5 xls files on my whole HD and I easily have 100+.
> > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Rich
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
ken.wright (2489)
10/27/2006 8:04:02 AM
Dave:
While this was most enlightening, I was unable to find the Excel file. I was
unable to find any Excel files and since I had repeated the miscue in order
to find the destination there should have been several Excel files.

Rich

Rich D" wrote:

> I worked on a Excel file in Outlook and closed it, saved the changes at the
> prompt and later went looking for it. I cannot find it. I believe it went
> into a "OLK" folder. I have tried all manner of searches and can only locate
> 5 xls files on my whole HD and I easily have 100+.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Rich
0
RichD (5)
10/27/2006 11:17:01 AM
Open up another attachment.

Put
=CELL("filename",A1)
in any unused cell

Maybe that'll help you find the folder.

--

Dave Peterson
0
"Rich D" <RichD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I worked on a Excel file in Outlook and closed it, saved the changes at the
> prompt and later went looking for it. I cannot find it. I believe it went
> into a "OLK" folder. I have tried all manner of searches and can only
> locate
> 5 xls files on my whole HD and I easily have 100+.
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Rich

0
dguillett1 (2487)
10/27/2006 12:31:43 PM
In article <u4e1bPc#GHA.3312@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>try a windons search for the file or *.xls

... Don't suppose you have the most recently used files list available from
XL ? ... and you haven't opened more than the number that you have set ? :)

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

What is the Outlook 2007 "PST" file called and how do I find it?
In prior versions of Outlook, I could always find the Outlook user data by scanning for PST file type. I've got a machine in which an eval version was used and now expired. I want to save the data for the day when I might buy Outlook and pick up where I left off. I can't find a PST file. -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:helf5c$5ac$1@panix5.panix.com... > > > In prior ...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

Saving files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Just got my first imac and love it!! But as I have only used windows before, I am finding a few problems eg when i try to save a word file, i want to save directly into a sub folder under my personal home directory but it only gives the option to save to the home directory. <br> Does anyone know how to save directly to a specific folder? Mac OS X is somewhat different from Windows. On the save dialoge box, to the right of the file name you'll see a little arrow. Click on it with the mouse poi...

synchronising data in 2 excel files
i have 2 identical excel files updated by 2 different people. How do I synchronise the data into 1 file? ...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Reading Forwarded Msg.Dat File Attached to AOL Email
I am trying to view a photo which is saved as an attachment to an Email sent by an AOL user. The file name is: Forwarded Msg.Dat I can open the file with MS Word, and it shows some header/Email type information, and then also says that there is an attached photo as a .jpg file. But the .Dat file is a mixture of that header info, and the attached ..jpg which (when read with MS Word) is a bunch of hex code. I cannot open the attachment with Internet Explorer, a Paint Application, or other tools that one might normally use to view .jpg files. Any ideas or suggestions on how to separat...

how can i change a linked sound file to become an embedded
i am trying to package up a powerpoint presenatation that contains an audio track - which is an mp4 file. Within the presentation the sound file is currently a linked file. I've tried using the 'package to cd' function but I can still not get the sound to work when i then put the cd into other computers. so how can i embed it instead? i've tried deleting the track, raising the 'sound size limit' to 6000 kb and resinserting it-but that doesnt work. the file is 5.3MB. My plan is to ultimately email the presentation - but it's vital that the s...

accessing files in subfolders
Do I need to use AfxGetAppName() when files in different, or even the same, project subfolders are accessing each other? E.g., in myDirectory\ogg\ogg.h, #include <ogg/os_types.h> does not work; but #include <myDirectory/ogg/ogg/os_types.h> seems to work fine If you are doing complex includes like this, you need to rethink what you are doing. Complex directory structures like this break horribly when the project moves around. You should not be using <> for user-defined includes; use "". Mostly these problems stem from the horrible design of how #includ...

Adding a sound file
I use XP office and am creating my first slide show and I am having trouble adding the .wav file so it will stay in the presentation when it is emailed. I have use office help and I am not having any success. The slide show works fine on my PC but when I email it out there is no sound on the recipients computer when they open the .pps file I send. So what could I be doing wrong here? Please help this is important to be achieved! Hi JP This should help: Sounds/Movies don't play, images disappear or links break when I move or email a presentation http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ0...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

Write File with unsigned char*
Hello, I writing a soap-client, which receives base64-files. I have got the size of the received file and an unsigned char-pointer to this file. How can I save it? CFile::Write does not work with unsigned char*. Any ideas? Sven "Sven Eichenm´┐Żller" <sven@eichenmueller.de> wrote in message news:fufc23$pqn$02$1@news.t-online.com... > Hello, > > I writing a soap-client, which receives base64-files. > I have got the size of the received file and an unsigned char-pointer to > this file. > How can I save it? CFile::Write does not work with unsigned char*. ...

Where are Outlook files kept?
I want to transfer my Outlook files and folders from my current HD to my new one. I'll do this by burning CD-R discs and after installing the new HD, copying them to the new drive. I can't find any folders called "Mail", "Inbox", or any of the folders I created in Outlook by searching My Computer. Dell Inspiron 600m; Win XP; Outlook 5? (Details discloses that Outlook is version "10.0.4510.0"). Thanks, -- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already. DaveC me@privacy.net Thi...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

Under file
how do I get the 4 documents that I worked with to stop showing up Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. 1. Click Start and then click Run. 2. In the Open box, type regedit and then press ENTER. The Registry Editor starts. 3. Delete one of the following registry keys, depending on which version of Publisher you are using:. Publish...

Linked files in headers stored as building blocks
Hi - I have a linked image in my document header. I select this header and create a building block from it. I can see the list of linked files in the Links dialog (accessed from Prepare > Edit Links to Files) and it lists this image file as linked. I now change the source of the link to point to a different file (from within the Links dialog). I press Update Now or OK expecting to see the new image in the header, but Word crashes? Tried this several times .... any suggestions? Thanks Robin ...

lost portfolio dat
i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? In microsoft.public.money, mark wrote: >i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its >gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? You saved it as *.inv or "my portfolio Backup.mbf"? The group for MSN Money is microsoft.public.moneycentral. ...

transation file
Hi, I have a big trn, I'm trying to view what's the big trancation in the file, how to do that? Please help. Thanks. (someone@js.com) writes: > Hi, I have a big trn, I'm trying to view what's the big trancation in the > file, how to do that? Please help. Thanks. A good guess is that it is a reindexing operation. But what makes you think that it is one single big transaction? When did you last back up your transaction log? There are not any simple time to investigate what it's the transaction log, so it's kind of a futile exercise. ...

log files pour in on sundays
Every sunday, the log files on my exchange 2000 box fill up. It only happens on sundays. I backup mon-friday and there may be 20-30 log files, but on sundays there or about 4000. has anyone had experience with this? Thanks, Matt HAVOK <> wrote: >Every sunday, the log files on my exchange 2000 box fill up. It only >happens on sundays. I backup mon-friday and there may be 20-30 log >files, but on sundays there or about 4000. has anyone had experience >with this? What's different on Sunday? Do you have anything scheduled to run then that doesn't run on the othe...

File Sizes

Saving emails as an HTML file
Outlook allows you to save outgoing emails that you're composing as an HTML file using the Save As function. That file (characterized by an .htm extension) can later be imported into other email programs in order to send the message out with the desired Rich Text or other HTML content. I use a dedicated emailing program (MailThem Pro) to send out my emails one at a time to all the people on my mailing list. That program requires an HTML file for it to properly format the email in Rich Text before sending it out. So I compose the emails in Outlook in HTML format (as opposed to Plai...

lost folders
A friend whose computer runs WinXP fully updated just lost her Outlook Express Inbox, Drafts, and Sent Items folders. She says it happened after this week's Automatic Update. She found the Inbox and Drafts in her Recycle Bin, but her Sent Items folder seems to have disappeared. She hadn't overloaded any of the folders. There were 38 messages in Sent Items. I had her check her Store folder just to make sure, and there is no Sent Items folder there. Prior to the update, and now as well, she has been getting a large number of messages wanting to compact her OE folders. Th...

lost authenticity number
I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is there any way to get the number off of my computer? If you mean your Product Key, you can call Micorosft for it. I'm assuming you have to reload Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Amy Gentzyel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ecd01c48d27$cfcdaba0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I cannot find my authenticity number for my disk. Is > there any way to get the number off of my computer? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://w...

Line Chart from office 2003.xls not formatted properly in 2007
I have a reporting tool that creates Office 2003 formatted .xls files that contain line charts. If I open them in Office 2003 they look fine. If I open them in Office 2007 they are not formatted properly. I can alter the chart by changing the chart type to the default line chart and then formatting the axis. but I don't want to do this for every report that is created by my reporting tool. Is there a way to setup 2007 to honor a 2003 style chart? ...