Lost Formatting When tab is copied

My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values
with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another
and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab
either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my
percent formats change to dollar format.  This happens no matter what
page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or
copying.

Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells
that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot
table.  Could this have anything to do with it?

I copy off tabs on a regular basis to send as an individual workbook,
so I do this often and having to go back and re-format a bunch of
cells is tedious at best.  Any thoughts or tips help!

David

0
DtTall (5)
6/20/2007 6:54:45 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

DtTall,
 When you copy, to a new (blank) worksheet, have you tried:
Select the block above "1" and to the left of "A". This selects the new
worksheet.
Edit, Paste Special, then select "values and number formats" ?
hth

"DtTall" wrote:

> My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values
> with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another
> and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab
> either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my
> percent formats change to dollar format.  This happens no matter what
> page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or
> copying.
>
> Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells
> that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot
> table.  Could this have anything to do with it?
>
> I copy off tabs on a regular basis to send as an individual workbook,
> so I do this often and having to go back and re-format a bunch of
> cells is tedious at best.  Any thoughts or tips help!
>
> David

0
FloMM2 (102)
6/22/2007 4:43:00 AM
Yeah, that seems to be the only way to do it.  I was just trying to
figure out why it was breaking stuff and changing formats.

Thanks!

0
DtTall (5)

Lost Formatting When tab is copied
My problem would seem to be very basic. I have a table that has values with dollars in columns and then a rate (i.e. one cell less another and then divide) in percentage format. When I copy an existing tab either into the same workbook or into a new workbook, many of my percent formats change to dollar format. This happens no matter what page I copy and it happens on pages that I am not even touching or copying. Often times these cells that lose their formatting are next to cells that are in dollar format that are pulling their data from pivot table. Could this have anything to do with it? ...

copy transactions
I am using Money 2003 on XP Home with 1.2GB mem and 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 processor. Is there a way to copy part of the transactions to a different file to make the file size smaller? -- Bob Brannon Yes. File|Archive. Most people do not find that it improves their performance appreciably. For many reasons, I do not recommend archiving. "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message news:upajI6q3DHA.2528@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I am using Money 2003 on XP Home with 1.2GB mem and 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 > processor. Is there a way to copy part of the transactions to a ...

Formating 2005345 to only 34!
Hello I got this date 2005345 which means year 2005, week 34, day 5 I want excel to format these values 2005345 and only show W34 How is this possible? /Anders -- a94andwi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ a94andwi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21077 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401138 With data in A1 try ="W"&MID(A1,5,2) -- Regards Roger Govier "a94andwi" <a94andwi.1uoqyc_1125587105.3224@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message...

Conditional Format #3
I'm sure this must be simple but I can't quite fathom it out. I want a conditional format that puts a colour in a cell if the cell is empty. Any ideas would be great Thanks Shona Shona, In the Conditional Formatting dialog, choose the 'equal to' option and enter ="" , the choose your format options. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Shona" <Shona.Smith@uk.bosch.com> wrote in message news:biva1h$4q3$1@ns2.fe.internet.bosch.com... > I'm sure this must be simple but I can't quite ...

Cheque format
Hi, I use GP 9 and I have just changed the cheque date to comply with the Canadian Payments Association format of YYY MM DD using the information from the Microsoft knowledgebase. The font type and size in the body of the cheque has changed and I am now getting dingbats (**) before Dollar and cents and more dingbats (**) where the total amount of the cheque used to be in numerical form. This is what I would like to fix: 1) Font back to Arial size 9 or 10 2) no dingbats on cheque 3) date in correct format Thanks. -- Janice Hi Janice, I have a document that explains how to do this m...

What was lost is found
Some of you may recall my frantic thrashing around here when I reinstalled my OS (Win XP) and had to reinstall Publisher 98 but could not find the installation disk. With a tweak here and a cludge there I was able to reinstall from the Publisher directory on the drive. (Don't ever install to the Windows/Program Files directory. Give each application its own root directory.) But the reinstall, though good enough to retrieve all my *.pub files and create new ones, lacks a few features, like hyphenation, spellcheck, etc. But today, what was lost is found. The installation disk turned ...

2005 Deluxe
Upgraded from 2003. Seems like I've lost functionality. Can't find how to separate catagory entry between category and subcategory (all one entry now). Also can't find the MoneySide FollowUP Notes that I used to have on the home page. Am I not looking in the right place? Thanks. MoneySide has been gone since M04. You are, IIRC, the second person to post here having noticed. As to dual cat lists: see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=161. BTW, you are supposed to prefer single list. "Elliot" <Elliot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9082426-5...

Decimal place formatting button doesn't work when some cells already have no decimals
Say I have 2 cells w/ values: 35 35.87 If I use the formatting bar button to drop the decimal places, nothing happens, and I get an error tone. My recollection is usually Excel "does the right thing" and will drop the decimals on those cells for what it can (and this is what I want to happen). So in what arcane place to I configure this to work the way I want it to? Thx Dear TrippKnightly I understand you want to show the cells entered as 35 and 35.87 as 35 and 36 respectively? To do this, highlight the cells you wish to format with no decimal points. And go Format/Cells...

Himanshu's time format
I have a huge amount of data in which the time format is :00:12 and i need to add zero's in the begining i.e. it should appear like 0:00:12. I have tried all the time formats but they dont function. is there someway i can do this? or doi need to add these zer's manually Hi Himanshu! Formatting won't help you as it is the number stored that is the problem. Two ways: Create a helper column and use: =A1/60 Or Put 60 in a cell Select that cell > Copy Select the cells you want to change Edit > Paste Special > Divide > OK -- -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sy...

Unlocked cell formatting
I have some cells locked & sheet protected. After the sheet is protected, all formatting tools get inoperative. I want the users to have choice for formatting unlocked cells. How to solve this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi, I hope this make sense. If you go in the menu to TOOLS -> PROTECTION --> PROTECT SHEET Then you have the chance to allow user to format Cells, Columns and Rows by ticking in the small square boxes that are right below the space where you write your password. So, by ticking in these options you choose what level of protection you wa...

Mecorma and GP- Date format
We have made all the necessary changes to comply with CPA Standards which come into effect in September for Canada. However, we would like to make a change to the Date format. Right now we have YYYYMMDD but there are no spaces. We would like to put spaces or dashes between the areas such as YYYY-MM-DD but the drop down menu does not give us this option only slashes which are not acceptable. Is there a way to do this within the Mekorma or is it a change within GP Dynamics. Thanks ------=_NextPart_0001_4D380C5D Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit You would ...

copy userform
I want to copy a user form from one workbook to a instruction manual. I just want the form with no functionality oldjay Show the form. hit alt-prtscr on the keyboard Open up your manual (in MSWord??). locate its new home hit ctrl-v (to paste) (Alt-prtscr just copies the active window to the windows clipboard) Oldjay wrote: > > I want to copy a user form from one workbook to a instruction manual. I just > want the form with no functionality > > oldjay -- Dave Peterson Hi Oldjay, Open your workbook Select the cells you want to copy Open MS Word (or whatever program...

lost save file
I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas where I should look or what I need to do???? I really need the folders. Thanks Search for .eml files . . . . . "Tink" <Tink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:468CD94A-33D3-45C1-8F1E-1DD5ADC164F2@microsoft.com... > I had a hard drive crash....was able to retrive everything from outlook > express except my "SAVE FOLDERS"....I'm sure they are there...any ideas > where...

Date auto format
When I type"1-2000"in a cell, it automatically changes to show "Jan-00". It is not a date that I am entering so I want it show as "1-2000". I change the cell format to "general", then as soon as I enter the text, the format changes to "date". How can I get the cell to not automatically revert to the date format? Either pre-format the cell as Text (for that's what it is), or prefix the entry with an apostrophe: '1-2000 In article <0b6d01c3cef5$91a2f0b0$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "Jeff" <jbender@cbedmonton.co...

ListControl in a tabbed PropertyPage does not display contents
I have a list control in a Propertypage that is part of a propertysheet. As data is inserted into the listcontrol, the list control appropriately creates the scroll bar and the column headers, but the data itself is not visible. If I replicate the exact same code as part of a CDialog that holds the listcontrol, the listcontrol displays contents. Am i missing some things. Env: Visual Studio 6.0 Windows XP Details: Created the PropertyPage using the classWizard and updated the Dialog Data to reflect the correct IDD enum { IDD = IDD_COPY_AND_CREATE }; CListCtrl m_list; Here is how I pr...

Automatic formatting problem #2
Hi all! I've run into a problem in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 with automatic formatting in a message view. In both cases, I have specific rules set up to format particular messsages with a color. However, the automatic formatting does not always work. Sometimes the messages are properly formatted, other times they are not. And it appears that the formatting condition must occur within the first few lines of a message. My rules are set to format based on certain text strings, and if the text appears very early in the message, the rule works. However, if the text appears later, the ru...

Report Format

Format Date #2
Is there any way that when I enter a Date in say Cell A1, Cell A2 would be able to reflect the Day? Hi try =A1 and format with the custom format DDDD or use the formula =TEXT(A1,"dddd") "Alicia" wrote: > Is there any way that when I enter a Date in say Cell A1, Cell A2 would be > able to reflect the Day? > > Thanks, But currently i even have problem format date to watever format i want, like dd-mmm-yy or dd/mm/yy... i know it is possible, there must be something in my excel that is wrong. Any clue on wat might be wrong. Even when i present calcul...

how to format excel format to text format with separator "|" in s.
Take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <E7023106-3D03-4427-ACDE-C846447FBA3E@microsoft.com>, "azlan" <azlan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Saving a custom format?
Greetings, I created a custom number format for use on a particular workbook. Now that custom format is available for use anywhere on that workbook. However, the custom format is not available in a new workbook or any other existing workbook. Is there a way to save the custom format so that it is available in any workbook? Thanks! Jim Orson... Hi Try putting the format in a blank workbook called Book1 and save this in your XLSTART folder -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jim Orson wrote: > Greetings, > > I created a custom number format for use on a particular work...

Lost Outlook email
----------------------------------------------------------------------- A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see th results, please visit http://www.outlookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5370 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Question: Am I hosed - YE - PROBABL - MAYB - N ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I downloaded my email from the server, got a message that some of th rest of my mail couldn't be retrieved, closed outlook, re-opened it and the messages I had already retrieved ...

Lost security on modified reports
It appears that access has been lost to modified reports. I checked security and access to the appropriate modified reports is selected, but I can not access them, nor can other users. We work in a Citrix environment and all users access the forms and reports from the server, not local workstations. I have unmarked and marked access and logged out and back in, but with no luck. Any suggestions? Have you tried using Advanced Security's Verify Security feature to check that all the security records are correct, valid and undamaged? It is worth a try. PS: You can also use Advan...

Formatting concatenated text
It's easy to concatenate two text strings: =concatenate("Sales: ", "u last year") would produce "Sales: up last year". But I want to underline the word "Sales" in the final text string just not any of the other words or characters. Can this be done? Thanks. Tro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi this is not possible with formulas. Formulas can only return values but not change formats -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > It's easy to concatenate two text strings: =concatenate("Sales: ", "up >...

lost portfolio dat
i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? In microsoft.public.money, mark wrote: >i logged onto msn money to check a portfolio and its >gone. i saved the data previously, how do i recover it? You saved it as *.inv or "my portfolio Backup.mbf"? The group for MSN Money is microsoft.public.moneycentral. ...

Renaming tab names causes error
When I try to rename a tab from "May-04" to "June-04", I get the error message "While renaming a sheet or chart, you entered an invalide name. Try one of the following * Make sure the name you entered does not exceed 31 characters * Make sure the name does not contain any of the following characters: : \ / ? * [ or * Make sure you did not leave the name blank. After hitting escape, the name on the sheet changes to ".xls]June-04" I am using Excell 2002 SP-2 Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks I think I saw a post that described this behavior--but I&#...