losing spreadsheets

Hi y'all,

At work we're sharing a spreadsheet with everyone saving on a regular basis
so everyone can see the updates.  Unfortunately, the spreadsheet keeps
getting damaged.

Is this most likely due to someone doing something not so bright?  or
Is this most likely due to someone's computer dying? or
Can "saving as" (say I make a copy for my own personal use because of all
the crashes) a different sheet cause it?

Thanks for any help regarding this situation.

Merry Christmas Robert Newton

0
Mr
12/12/2006 11:59:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Robert

I have to say that my experience with sharing Excel has always been a
disaster and could be due to any of the reasons given.  I would avoid it at
all costs

A better solution is to set up a database in Access and report it through a
users own front end in Excel if necessary

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi y'all,
>
> At work we're sharing a spreadsheet with everyone saving on a regular
> basis so everyone can see the updates.  Unfortunately, the spreadsheet
> keeps getting damaged.
>
> Is this most likely due to someone doing something not so bright?  or
> Is this most likely due to someone's computer dying? or
> Can "saving as" (say I make a copy for my own personal use because of all
> the crashes) a different sheet cause it?
>
> Thanks for any help regarding this situation.
>
> Merry Christmas Robert Newton

Thank you for your advice.

Robert

"Nick Hodge" <nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS> wrote in message
> Robert
>
> I have to say that my experience with sharing Excel has always been a
> disaster and could be due to any of the reasons given.  I would avoid it
> at all costs
>
> A better solution is to set up a database in Access and report it through
> a users own front end in Excel if necessary
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>

> "Mr. Newt" <lektrikpuke@_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi y'all,
>>
>> At work we're sharing a spreadsheet with everyone saving on a regular
>> basis so everyone can see the updates.  Unfortunately, the spreadsheet
>> keeps getting damaged.
>>
>> Is this most likely due to someone doing something not so bright?  or
>> Is this most likely due to someone's computer dying? or
>> Can "saving as" (say I make a copy for my own personal use because of all
>> the crashes) a different sheet cause it?
>>
>> Thanks for any help regarding this situation.
>>
>> Merry Christmas Robert Newton

0
Mr

Large spreadsheet
Does anyone have any large resource intensive spreadsheets that I could use to benchmark performance of a few new PC's that we have just bought? Preferably ones that will run on Excel 97 on an XP machine. Thank you -- Joe ...

Outlook Client Is Losing Connection To Microsoft CRM While Online
Hi. I have Rollup 2 installed on both the Outlook Client and the server. On my laptop, I am running Win XP Pro with SP 2 and all the updates applied and Outlook 2003 with all the updates applied. I am noticing that I seem to be losing the connection to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client. Right after I boot my laptop I am able to access to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client for between 4 hours to a day. After that if I click on the Accounts, Contacts or Leads folders nothing seems to happen. I have waited up to 10 minutes after clicking and nothing. At this point I can still use...

Password error when e-mailing a spreadsheet.
I receive this error when attempting to e-mail a spreadsheet (by clicking 'Send this sheet' in Excel): "A sheet in the workbook you are trying to save is password protected. Password protected sheets cannot be saved in the HTML format. To save this file in HTML, you must first remove the password." Is there a workaround or solution for this error that will allow me to e-mail a password protected spreadsheet from within Excel? Thank you. Send it as an attachment, but send it as a *.xls file--a real workbook???? swellett wrote: > > I receive this error when at...

Moving information from spreadsheet B to A
I have two spreadsheets, let's say A and B. I have a unique element in each spreadsheet that is the same in both spreadsheets, say ABCDEFG isn in A and B. I would like the move the row with 5 columns that contains ABCDEFG from spreadsheet B to the row that contains ABCDEFG in spreadsheet A and place the information in columns T, U, V, W, X. There will be no duplicates of the unique eight character field - only one of each in A and B. So I am basically trying to merge to spreadsheets based on one column of information based on it matching in A and B. >-----Original Message----...

Importing Excel Spreadsheets
Hi: I'm using Publisher 2000, and I'd like to import a small, one-page Excel spreadsheet. Any recommendations as to how this might be achieved? Patrick K. There is no issue copying an pasting an Excel spreadsheet into Publisher. With Publisher 2000 make sure you have the Publisher and Office updates installed. -- ...

Problem opening 2 large spreadsheets
If I am working on one speadsheet which is 24.5Mb and I try to open another of the same size I get Microsft Excel dialog box advising "Not enough memory" I am using Windows XP Home edition with 512 Mb RAM and an 80Gb hard drive with 62Gb free space. On my previos windows 98 system I had no problem opening these 2 files together. Can anyone please help. -- Regards Pete RAM is fairly cheap these days. Maybe a good time to upgrade to 1 Meg. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Pete Harris" <PeteHa...

Lost excel spreadsheet password
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel How do I recover it? <br><br>for some reason my password wont work... If you do in fact mean *spreadsheet* password protection see the information on this page: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html OTOH, if you mean a password applied to an Excel *workbook* file click the link in the Note at the top of that same page. Either way the news is not particularly good. If you haven't kept a record of your passwords you're probably out of luck or in for a considerable expense. -- Re...

Why do I lose contacts?
I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:12:01 -0800, Davis Straub wrote: > I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? > > Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? Not a clue. I ran Windows Live Mail without signing in to Windows Live Services for three, or four days. My Contacts list never changed, or disappeared during that time. It is, however, different than the Contacts list I normally see ...

SS#'s lose lose formatting in .csv
Hi, I have a user who is entering a list of ss numbers. She has to have them in this format: 024574882 712894748 First off, we can't get the leading 0 to stay, it just disappears. I have tried formatting the column as text, as numbers, as custom #########, and like '983474744. No matter what we do, after saving and opening it again, the leading 0's are gone and some number turn in exponential notations. Can someone please help?? This should be an easy fix, but it seems the formatting I put on this does not hold!! thanks in advance.....Bill Select the column Either cl...

locking a spreadsheet
is it possible to lock the format of a spreadsheet, but still be able to input data?? Hi Yes, it's the default behavior. Format your sheet. Select all cells where input IS allowed, uncheck Locked in the Format > Cells > Protection menu and then lock the sheet with menu Tools > Protection > Protect sheet menu. The options there depends on your Excel version, but defaults should work as desired. HTH. Best wishes Harald "mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:568A7A98-CF86-4325-BC85-0769127CB92B@microsoft.com... > is it possible to ...

Copy column widths from one spreadsheet to another
I need to copy (reapply) the column widths from my formatted spreadsheet to another one. I get an new copy of the spreadsheet each week from our finance admin with updated data and I want to copy over just the column widths (and if possible hide certain columns) without overwriting the updated spreadsheet's cell formats (font color and highlights). I know about Format Painter but it seems to overwrite the cell formats and other highlights. Thanks, Joe drumbeat, Try select/copy/paste special/column widths.... Beege "drumbeat54" <joe@dicara.ca> wrote in message ne...

losing pictures
I had produced a 3 fold brochure and printed it successfully for months. Then one day 2 of the jpg files stopped printing. I have reloaded Publisher, done everything I can think of, but can not get those files to print on the office color printer. They will print on the Black and white. The brochure will print from someone else's computer!!!! if I save the file on a CD and print it from someone who has Publisher. I talked to Gateway and they said it was my problem, this is a new 2003 computer, with 2002 Publisher. Can anyone help Update your printer driver from the website of your prin...

Printing Spreadsheet in Color
I have a spreadsheet which has column headings with a yellow background. If I print the spreadsheet to a monochrome printer, it is reproduced perfectly. If I print it to a color printer, the background of the columns headings prints but the text does not. The spreadsheet was created with Office XP and emailed to three people who use Office 2000. Two of the three people have the same printing problem; the other can print in color flawlessly. The color printer is a network printer and is used by all four people involved. It seems to me that there must be a difference in the Excel ...

NO COLORS IN MY SPREADSHEETS
Running XL2003 in Win XP-pro. Calculations are correct, all toolbars (that I want) are visible. However, I cannot get any color; neither characters nor background/pattern. For example, I formatted cells to display results in red if neg numbers. Shows only in black. "MS help" offered no help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance -- Terry--WB4FXD Edenton, NC Hi Terry Maybe http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Fill -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Terry" <katamasouth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43ee0886.9383140@netnews.mchsi.com... > &...

Lose Focus
Env: VC++6.00 I want a control on a Dialog to be losed focus after it is disabled by EnableWindow(FALSE). I don't care who will get the focus, so I don't want to use SetFocus(). Is there a way? TIA William >I want a control on a Dialog to be losed focus after it is disabled by >EnableWindow(FALSE). >I don't care who will get the focus, so I don't want to use SetFocus(). > >Is there a way? William, Try using CDialog::NextDlgCtrl or maybe PostMessage WM_NEXTDLGCTL to the dialog. Dave Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I want. William > Try using CDial...

Excel Spreadsheet on Purchase Ledger
Hi, i am just starting up a small business and was wondering if anyone could guide me the correct way of having control of the suppliers and their payment terms on excel. I want to make sure i pay the suppliers on their correct payment terms and not earlier. Unfortunately, this is a very manual system but as i am starting up i donot have the funds to buy a computerised system yet!! Any help would be grateful Thanks Try this:- SupplierName (column A) a b c d e AmountDue (column B) 1,000.00 2,000.00 3,000.00 4,000.00 5,000.00 DateDue (column C) - dates...

getting data across spreadsheets
Hi ~ I was wondering how do I access data from a different sheet but th same workbook. I'm doing a spreadsheet about payroll, and I wanted t transfer part of that data onto sheet2. I think I use the dge function but I'm not quite sure how to use it. For example, I woul want to access the number of hours a employee worked from sheet1 an put it in sheet2. Thanks!!!! Debbi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Debb, You may wanna try Vlookup. check in...

Re: Updating spreadsheets
Is there a way in Excel to take a spreadsheet containing new price adjustments, compare it to my current inventory, make price changes as necessary on my current inventory spreadsheet, and , then print a list of changed items? Or is this an Acess function? Thanks, Gary B gb20003@comcast.net Gary, take a look at the Data Loader at http://www.add-ins.com/dataload.htm. It will do most of what you want. It will color the cells that are loaded blue so that you can identify the ones that were updated. Bob Flanagan Macro Systems 144 Dewberry Drive Hockessin, Delaware, U.S. 19707 Phone: 302...

Losing online passwords
Money 2001. Recently, when I connect to online services, the password for my Discover Card account is sometimes missing. The other online banks remember their passwords. I always re-enter it and check "remember passwords", but about every 6 times I log on, the Discover password is missing. I just recently installed XP. Can anyone explain? I have noticed the same problem on my 98SE Money 2004. Must be on Discover's end. "OhMarty" <ohmarty@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23OVhbJ6KEHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Money 2001. Recently, when I connect to o...

emailing spreadsheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Every time I email a spreadsheet as an attachment the recipient cannot open it. I have tried copy and pasting it onto a word doc but apparrently it still doesn't open. What am I doin wrong It's hard to be sure because you don't indicate what *does* happen when the recipient tries to open it, whether these are Mac or Windows users, nor do you disclose any details pertaining to the email specs you or the recipients are using. You may be doing nothing wrong at all. It could be a problem with your ...

Changing ISP / email address
My friend is about to change ISP and get a new email address. He doesn't use webmail only Outlook. He has many folders containing emails he wants to keep, and also all his contacts. Can someone please tell me, if he changes email address will all the folder contents and contact details remain in Outlook? Are they on his hardrive or not? Thanks! Outlook data is stored locally. If he uses the same data file all his information will be there. -- Russ Valentine "Alfa Mum" <Alfa Mum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54C0F148-C087-4A8A-A25C-A...

You will find that with a quartz watch, you will on average lose or gain up to one second per week. Compare that to a mechanical watch, which can potentially lose or gain up to one minute per week.
You will find that with a quartz watch, you will on average lose or gain up to one second per week. Compare that to a mechanical watch, which can potentially lose or gain up to one minute per week. It is obvious that quartz watches are much more accurate and reliable than a mechanical watch. What makes quartz so accurate is its extremely high oscillations of up to 32,768 cycles per second at・3校salereplicawatch.com ...

Trapping losing commands
In our applications once in a while the commands don't get through to the SQL Server for different reasons. Since it is an automatic process there is nobody in the front end to rerun those command, and they are getting lost. The rezones for the lost could be: Time out, broken connections, Deadlocks ect. Is there a way SQL can trap these and replay them? Gal (Gal@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > In our applications once in a while the commands don't get through to > the SQL Server for different reasons. Since it is an automatic process > there is nobody in th...

excel spreadsheet #6
When I have several spreadsheets open and close one, they all close. How do I prevent that from happening? -- Toni Hi Toni by spreadsheets are we talking worksheets or workbooks? as a workbook contains one or more worksheets - closing the workbook will close all the sheets within it you can't actually just close a worksheet (it's like trying to close just page 2 in a word document). if however, you're talking multiple workbooks all closing when you close one you need to use the bottom X (on the top right hand side of the screen) - not the top one to close the current (active...

Formulas stop calculating at random times when editing a few spreadsheets.
Greetings, There are few spreadsheets that one of my users works on that have a rather odd error. One in particular is filled with simple addition/subtraction formulas. Quantity/Net Price/Total Price type fields. He uses the spreadsheet daily and is constantly cutting and pasting into and out of it.. so it functions sort of like a calculator. Sometimes he will be cutting and pasting into a field, say the quantity field, but the other fields wont update. I've already reinstalled office 2000, re-applied all service packs/updates both to office and windows, and actually rebuilt his entire ...