losing a toolbar

I'm trying to setup my default workbook/sheet. Everything is working so far,
except I cannot get rid of the standard toolbar. It keeps coming back. I do
I get it out of my default preferences?
thanks!

0
shank (44)
1/16/2004 4:40:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi there;

Right click on any toolbar and unchech the checkbox for the toolbar you
don't want to see anymore.
Save the file, close Excel and the next time you start it, it must not be
visible anymore.

Mark.

More Excel ?    www.rosenkrantz.nl    or    contact@rosenkrantz.nl

"shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup my default workbook/sheet. Everything is working so
far,
> except I cannot get rid of the standard toolbar. It keeps coming back. I
do
> I get it out of my default preferences?
> thanks!

0
mail6315 (15)
1/16/2004 6:30:56 PM
Nope! Does not work. Here's what I do...
1) setup the workbook as I like
2) right-click and uncheck that toolbar and all other I do not like. That
leaves me with my custom toolbar I made.
3) opt to 'Save As...' a template
4) navigate to \programfiles\microsoft office\office 10\xlstart
5) save my file as book.xlt
6) close excel and re-open excel
7) standard toolbar is back again!!! Arghh....

What am I doing wrong?
thanks!

"Mark Rosenkrantz" <mail@rosenkrantz.nl> wrote in message
> Hi there;
>
> Right click on any toolbar and unchech the checkbox for the toolbar you
> don't want to see anymore.
> Save the file, close Excel and the next time you start it, it must not be
> visible anymore.
>
> Mark.
>
> More Excel ?    www.rosenkrantz.nl    or    contact@rosenkrantz.nl
>

> "shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to setup my default workbook/sheet. Everything is working so
> far,
> > except I cannot get rid of the standard toolbar. It keeps coming back. I
> do
> > I get it out of my default preferences?
> > thanks!

0
shank (44)
1/16/2004 10:07:37 PM
How about just Tools|customize|toolbars tab
and uncheck the Standard toolbar

close excel and reopen.

These toolbar settings aren't saved in your book.xlt file.  They're saved in a
file with an extension of .xlb.  (the name and location vary with versions of
excel and windows.)

If you tried that and it doesn't work, then it sounds like your settings aren't
being stored when you leave excel.  (I think that there have been a few posts
that complain about Windows permissions being set to stop users from doing
this.  Mostly by IT folks for users on networks.  But I think windows XP users
can suffer the same "feature".

If that's the case, maybe you could just create a small workbook with a single
macro and store it in your XLStart folder.

All it'll do is open, close that toolbar and then close itself.

I would use this as a temporary workaround until I could find out the real
cause:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()

    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars("standard").Visible = False
    On Error GoTo 0

    ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False

End Sub

(Save your work before testing.  It closes itself without saving--even while
testing!)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I'm an admin on a non-network WinXP Pro, w/Office XP Pro, and of course, all
the service packs.

thanks

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> How about just Tools|customize|toolbars tab
> and uncheck the Standard toolbar
>
> close excel and reopen.
>
> These toolbar settings aren't saved in your book.xlt file.  They're saved
in a
> file with an extension of .xlb.  (the name and location vary with versions
of
> excel and windows.)
>
> If you tried that and it doesn't work, then it sounds like your settings
aren't
> being stored when you leave excel.  (I think that there have been a few
posts
> that complain about Windows permissions being set to stop users from doing
> this.  Mostly by IT folks for users on networks.  But I think windows XP
users
> can suffer the same "feature".
>
> If that's the case, maybe you could just create a small workbook with a
single
> macro and store it in your XLStart folder.
>
> All it'll do is open, close that toolbar and then close itself.
>
> I would use this as a temporary workaround until I could find out the real
> cause:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub auto_open()
>
>     On Error Resume Next
>     Application.CommandBars("standard").Visible = False
>     On Error GoTo 0
>
>     ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
>
> End Sub
>

> (Save your work before testing.  It closes itself without saving--even
while
> testing!)
>

> shank wrote:
> >
> > Nope! Does not work. Here's what I do...
> > 1) setup the workbook as I like
> > 2) right-click and uncheck that toolbar and all other I do not like.
That
> > leaves me with my custom toolbar I made.
> > 3) opt to 'Save As...' a template
> > 4) navigate to \programfiles\microsoft office\office 10\xlstart
> > 5) save my file as book.xlt
> > 6) close excel and re-open excel
> > 7) standard toolbar is back again!!! Arghh....
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
> > thanks!
> >
> > "Mark Rosenkrantz" <mail@rosenkrantz.nl> wrote in message
> > > Hi there;
> > >
> > > Right click on any toolbar and unchech the checkbox for the toolbar
you
> > > don't want to see anymore.
> > > Save the file, close Excel and the next time you start it, it must not
be
> > > visible anymore.
> > >
> > > Mark.
> > >
> > > More Excel ?    www.rosenkrantz.nl    or    contact@rosenkrantz.nl
> > >

> > > "shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > far,
> > > do
> > > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
shank (44)
1/17/2004 4:08:22 AM
I put that workbook in my XLStart folder and wasn't prompted about macros.  You
may want to try it.

And if you search for *.xlb again, make sure you look for hidden files and
through hidden folders.

Some versions of windows (xp?) have this setting toggled so it won't find
anything.

And to make sure you really have one,
pen excel
tools|customize|toolbars tab|new
(just to create a dummy *.xlb)

Then search again.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Your toolbars  reside in an .XLB  file..

Usually you can make the changes wherever you are at,
but if you are having problems.  Close all of the workbooks
except for your personal.xls  which you want to unhide,
make the changes to your toolbars, then hide the file again
(Window (menu),  hide/unhide) so that macros are available
to other open workbooks. .

  additional reading in
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/toolbars.htm
 ---
HTH,

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message news:400946A9.37510940@msn.com...
> [...]
> > > this.  Mostly by IT folks for users on networks.  But I think windows XP
> > users
> > > can suffer the same "feature".
> > >
> > > If that's the case, maybe you could just create a small workbook with a
> > single
> > > macro and store it in your XLStart folder.
> > >
> > > All it'll do is open, close that toolbar and then close itself.
> > >
> > > I would use this as a temporary workaround until I could find out the real
> > > cause:
> > >
> > > Option Explicit
> > > Sub auto_open()
> > >
> > >     On Error Resume Next
> > >     Application.CommandBars("standard").Visible = False
> > >     On Error GoTo 0
> > >
> > >     ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
> > >
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > (Save your work before testing.  It closes itself without saving--even

0
dmcritchie (2586)
1/17/2004 4:55:20 PM
I went to the Knowledge Base and found that the XLB file was under
\documents and settings\...
I can't believe my search wouldn't find it. Anyway....

The issue was that no matter what I did, Excel refuses to lose the Standard
toolbar. In the Excel help section, it lays out a renaming sceme for
Excel10.xlb to save my new toolbar settings. Whenever I closed excel, it
would generate a new excel10.xlb file... EXCEPT when I removed the Standard
toolbar like I wanted, it would flat refuse to generate a new excel10.xlb
file, which left me back at square one.

So, because excel refuses to lose the Standard toolbar, I decided to use
that toolbar for my own personal bar. I'm not happy about it, but it will
get me the buttons I wanted.

thanks all...!!!

> [...]
XP
> > users
> > > can suffer the same "feature".
> > >
> > > If that's the case, maybe you could just create a small workbook with
> > single
> > > macro and store it in your XLStart folder.
> > >
> > > All it'll do is open, close that toolbar and then close itself.
> > >
> > > I would use this as a temporary workaround until I could find out the
real
> > > cause:
> > >
> > > Option Explicit
> > > Sub auto_open()
> > >
> > >     On Error Resume Next
> > >     Application.CommandBars("standard").Visible = False
> > >     On Error GoTo 0
> > >
> > >     ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
> > >
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > (Save your work before testing.  It closes itself without saving--even

0
shank (44)

Toolbar memory
How do you keep the toolbars to stay where you docked them after closing and then re-opening Outlook 2003? Close Outlook, find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. Reopen Outlook and redo your toolbars. The next time you open Outlook, the changes should persist. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, BlackByrd asked: | How do you keep the toolbars to stay where...

Outlook Client Is Losing Connection To Microsoft CRM While Online
Hi. I have Rollup 2 installed on both the Outlook Client and the server. On my laptop, I am running Win XP Pro with SP 2 and all the updates applied and Outlook 2003 with all the updates applied. I am noticing that I seem to be losing the connection to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client. Right after I boot my laptop I am able to access to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client for between 4 hours to a day. After that if I click on the Accounts, Contacts or Leads folders nothing seems to happen. I have waited up to 10 minutes after clicking and nothing. At this point I can still use...

Where is my List Toolbar?
I cannot locate 'List' as a choice under the Data menu. I have tried to go to View on the menu bar, point to Toolbars, and then find List as a selection and it is not there. Where can I find it? Perhaps you need to reset your menus. See "Restore any toolbar" and choose Worksheet Menu bar to restore: http://www.officearticles.com/misc/menu_and_toolbar_tips_for_all_microsoft_office_applications.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Janet" <Janet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:765DD7BB-235D-4505-A9DB-9B94C8D61149@microsoft.c...

Why do I lose contacts?
I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:12:01 -0800, Davis Straub wrote: > I enter a contact and a few days later (after a reboot) it's gone? > > Sometimes I show 80 contacts. Sometimes 1518? What is up with that? Not a clue. I ran Windows Live Mail without signing in to Windows Live Services for three, or four days. My Contacts list never changed, or disappeared during that time. It is, however, different than the Contacts list I normally see ...

SS#'s lose lose formatting in .csv
Hi, I have a user who is entering a list of ss numbers. She has to have them in this format: 024574882 712894748 First off, we can't get the leading 0 to stay, it just disappears. I have tried formatting the column as text, as numbers, as custom #########, and like '983474744. No matter what we do, after saving and opening it again, the leading 0's are gone and some number turn in exponential notations. Can someone please help?? This should be an easy fix, but it seems the formatting I put on this does not hold!! thanks in advance.....Bill Select the column Either cl...

Quick Access Toolbar 2007
I have a client that wants to import this to another machine. Is that possible? This is what he's tried so far and it isn't working. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 1. To export Ribbon or Quick Access Toolbar customizations: On the File tab, click Options, click Customize Ribbon or Quick Access Toolbar. Create your customizations, click Import/Export, and then click Export all customizations. You can use the *.exportedUI file to create the same customizations on another computer by importing the file. ----------------------------------------...

Invioice toolbar
i have recently upgraded from ofice 2000 to ofice 2003. the one thing that i used a lot for my business invoices was the Invoice toolbar in excel 2000, but it does not appear to be present in Excel 2003. Beginning to get a bit desperate, if anybody can help i would be very grateful. Regards, Hello Sean, There is no Invoice toolbar for Excel 2003, and I wasn't aware of any in 2000 either. Sounds like you had an addition to your program. If you wrote over the old Excel (2000) with your new Excel (2003) then you probably overwrote your .xlb file, which means, you may be out of luc...

Can I create shortcut toolbar buttons to e-mail sub folders?
I have a detailed subfolder structure in outlook. Instead of clicking down from one subfolder to the next, is there a way to create a toolbar button to jump to a specific outlook e-mail subfolder? thanks Sure - you can even create your own Outlook Bar Group to hold them (note that Outlook bar can only have 12 groups). Display your folders in folder tree view and pin it open. Then drag and drop your selected folders to the Outlook Bar and select Create Shortcut Here. You are done! -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having search...

Custom toolbar
Hello, All! Where are custom toolbars located? Thanks, Colonel Blip. E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please@bigfoot.com Right-click any toolbar. View, Toolbars -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Colonel Blip" <colonelblip.no.spam.please@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:OgfQsYgSFHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, All! > > Where are custom toolbars located? > > Thanks, > Colonel Blip. > E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please@bigfoot.com > Hello, Mary! You wrote on Tue, 26 A...

losing pictures
I had produced a 3 fold brochure and printed it successfully for months. Then one day 2 of the jpg files stopped printing. I have reloaded Publisher, done everything I can think of, but can not get those files to print on the office color printer. They will print on the Black and white. The brochure will print from someone else's computer!!!! if I save the file on a CD and print it from someone who has Publisher. I talked to Gateway and they said it was my problem, this is a new 2003 computer, with 2002 Publisher. Can anyone help Update your printer driver from the website of your prin...

Formatting Toolbar disappears
I have a user with Outlook 2002 sp 2 and the formatting toolbar keeps disappearing for no apparent reason. Any ideas why this is happening or can I disable the user from changing it? thanks John ...

How do I stop Toolbar from automatically showing up?
Excel 2003 - The Reviewing Toolbar always shows up when starting a new workbook. Is there a way to stop that? I never use the toolbar and it takes up space. Go to View Menu, select Toolbars and uncheck the toolbar you don't want to view. "Wendy - Payroll" <Wendy - Payroll@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7937074-CA2D-47D6-B13F-DBAE566B6138@microsoft.com... Excel 2003 - The Reviewing Toolbar always shows up when starting a new workbook. Is there a way to stop that? I never use the toolbar and it takes up space. Wendy A recent posting from ...

Automatic Review Toolbar
When my boss opens a file of mine off the network for review, the subject toolbar displays automatically, irritatingly. Can this automatic feature be turned off? I couldn't find it in the Tools/Options or in Help. TIA Kevin Sprinkel You could use an Auto_Open macro that hides the toolbar upon opening: Sub Auto_Open() Application.Toolbars("Reviewing").Visible = False End Sub Press Alt+F11, Insert > Module, and copy this code. Then save the workbook. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >When my boss opens a file of mine off the network for >r...

Automatic Toolbars
How do I stop automatic toolbars (i.e. Reviewing and Web) from opening in Excel? See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0009.html for the reviewing toolbar -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Jim Patton" <Jim Patton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB5563A4-59E8-4EE4-B7CB-F7AA9AF7627F@microsoft.com... > How do I stop automatic toolbars (i.e. Reviewing and Web) from opening in > Excel? ...

Lose Focus
Env: VC++6.00 I want a control on a Dialog to be losed focus after it is disabled by EnableWindow(FALSE). I don't care who will get the focus, so I don't want to use SetFocus(). Is there a way? TIA William >I want a control on a Dialog to be losed focus after it is disabled by >EnableWindow(FALSE). >I don't care who will get the focus, so I don't want to use SetFocus(). > >Is there a way? William, Try using CDialog::NextDlgCtrl or maybe PostMessage WM_NEXTDLGCTL to the dialog. Dave Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I want. William > Try using CDial...

Losing online passwords
Money 2001. Recently, when I connect to online services, the password for my Discover Card account is sometimes missing. The other online banks remember their passwords. I always re-enter it and check "remember passwords", but about every 6 times I log on, the Discover password is missing. I just recently installed XP. Can anyone explain? I have noticed the same problem on my 98SE Money 2004. Must be on Discover's end. "OhMarty" <ohmarty@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23OVhbJ6KEHA.3292@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... Money 2001. Recently, when I connect to o...

Changing ISP / email address
My friend is about to change ISP and get a new email address. He doesn't use webmail only Outlook. He has many folders containing emails he wants to keep, and also all his contacts. Can someone please tell me, if he changes email address will all the folder contents and contact details remain in Outlook? Are they on his hardrive or not? Thanks! Outlook data is stored locally. If he uses the same data file all his information will be there. -- Russ Valentine "Alfa Mum" <Alfa Mum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54C0F148-C087-4A8A-A25C-A...

You will find that with a quartz watch, you will on average lose or gain up to one second per week. Compare that to a mechanical watch, which can potentially lose or gain up to one minute per week.
You will find that with a quartz watch, you will on average lose or gain up to one second per week. Compare that to a mechanical watch, which can potentially lose or gain up to one minute per week. It is obvious that quartz watches are much more accurate and reliable than a mechanical watch. What makes quartz so accurate is its extremely high oscillations of up to 32,768 cycles per second at$B!'(Bsalereplicawatch.com ...

Trapping losing commands
In our applications once in a while the commands don't get through to the SQL Server for different reasons. Since it is an automatic process there is nobody in the front end to rerun those command, and they are getting lost. The rezones for the lost could be: Time out, broken connections, Deadlocks ect. Is there a way SQL can trap these and replay them? Gal (Gal@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > In our applications once in a while the commands don't get through to > the SQL Server for different reasons. Since it is an automatic process > there is nobody in th...

Root Toolbar
Is it possible to add a toolbar to the root. What I want is to have a few buttons available globally. I know how to add toolbar to account and other entities, but can we do it to the root? Thanks for your help. Sincerely, Eli you mean add them to the home screen? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Eli" <eli@palmhealthbenefits.com> wrote in message news:03FCD562-525D-4B1F-8B31-36D80916C2A4@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to add a toolbar to the root. What I want is to have a few > b...

Inserting Rows...but losing "FORMAT"
I have a spreadsheet that I have used for 5 years...with daily data being inputted (in newly inserted rows), then Grand Totaled at the bottom of the spreadsheet. I have never had a problem...UNTIL RECENTLY. One of my columns is the time of day, such as 2:54pm, and presently, all of my inserted rows, except for only 3 of them, depict the time as 2:54 (WITHOUT THE AM or PM), so, I use the Format Painter, and I Fix the problem...that is, until the next day, when the same incident again occurs. I do not know why this is happening, but I must use this extra step (Format Painter) ...

losing a toolbar
I'm trying to setup my default workbook/sheet. Everything is working so far, except I cannot get rid of the standard toolbar. It keeps coming back. I do I get it out of my default preferences? thanks! Hi there; Right click on any toolbar and unchech the checkbox for the toolbar you don't want to see anymore. Save the file, close Excel and the next time you start it, it must not be visible anymore. Mark. More Excel ? www.rosenkrantz.nl or contact@rosenkrantz.nl -------------------------------------------------------------------- "shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.c...

Losing Sound
i encountered this problem more frequently now, after listening to music or video thesound is suddenly muted and i need to restart XP to get back. any suggestions? thank you If the pc has an add-on sound card,open device mgr,expand the sound tree,R.click all the sound card listings (one at a time),select "uninstall", do not restart pc after each,once thru,exit device,shutdown pc.Move the sound card to another PCI slot,start pc,xp will reinstall it..If its on-board, do the same w/o the card move.Also,one can go to run,type: DXDIAG Run the Direct X sound tests.. ...

SBS 2008 keeps losing default gateway
Strangely enough "route print" shows a default route, but the default gateway is missing in the network connection properties, and I have to manually reenter it to restore Internet connectivity. Anyone got any ideas what's up? Possibly related is that the Internet router actually tries to proxy ARP for all IP addresses, which rather confused the configuration wizard. If it happens again, open regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>\DefaultGateway and double click the DefaultGateway value....

stop recording toolbar dissappeared
am running office 2002 my stop recording toolbar has dissappeared (macro Excel) how does one restore it There are instructions in the Excel FAQs here, for getting it back: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#Stop diamp wrote: > am running office 2002 my stop recording toolbar has dissappeared (macro > Excel) how does one restore it > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...