Looking for simple database alternative to Excel

The 65K row limit in Excel presents a lot of challenges to me in
working with large data sets.

Upgrading to Excel 2007 isn't an option for me.

Can someone recommend some simple, free database software as an
alternative to Excel?

0
cmotes (3)
9/8/2007 5:42:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

<cmotes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The 65K row limit in Excel presents a lot of challenges to me in
> working with large data sets.
>
> Upgrading to Excel 2007 isn't an option for me.
>
> Can someone recommend some simple, free database software as an
> alternative to Excel?

Try open office

0
raff242 (1)
9/8/2007 5:55:27 PM
I just downloaded OpenOffice Calc, it has 65K row limit.

0
cmotes (3)
9/8/2007 7:56:25 PM
Did you try OO's Base program (its Database program)?

I have no idea how many records it allows, though.

--

Dave Peterson
0
cmotes@gmail.com wrote:
> The 65K row limit in Excel presents a lot of challenges to me in
> working with large data sets.
>
> Upgrading to Excel 2007 isn't an option for me.
>
> Can someone recommend some simple, free database software as an
> alternative to Excel?

Excel is not a database program.

I think you should try Access that is a database program...

--
Hope I helped you.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy
0
fra68ve (124)

Simple Get you GOOD jobs in AUSTRALIA
Simple Get you GOOD jobs in AUSTRALIA At http://www.webinfoforall.be.tf Due to High Security Risk I have Hidden the Videos In an Image In that Website On Below Search Box Click On Image And Watch Videos. http://www.webinfoforall.be.tf ...

Exchange Database
Our 2003 Exchange database (Std.) is pushing the 16gb ceiling. I set up archiving with group policies and a substantial amount of storage space was recovered (from looking in Exchange System Manager mailbox listing). I am not clear on whether I need to do something else or not. I ran eseutil /d last night. I thought I would see some reduction in file size when I viewed the database size in Windows Explorer but the size looks about the same. Is there something additional I need to do to recoup the space? If not, is there a way to interrogate the Exchange to see what it sees as the current...

shared templates in Excel
How do I share a template folder between 2 computers on a local peer-to-peer network? In Word, I can specify the template location. How does it work in Excel? I have Windows XP. Thanks. ...

Excel on thin client
We are experiencing a problem on a thin client box with the RDP client. When we highlight a group of cells and try to drag them we lose control and the selected range expands without being able to stop it apparantly until the buffer empties. There is a known issue with a thin client box and Citrix ICA but is there also one with RCP. ...

All my icons look the same (except IE8 and the recycle bin)
i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up and wants me to pick wat i want to open it with...i can only get on the internet in safe mode with networking. and when i try to open...for example paint it says invalid bitmap, or its format is not currently supported and other windows wont even open. got any ideas on how i can fix this?? On Sun, 30 May 2010 06:54:01 -0700, xxkoreanxx wrote in message <news:999F2CE9-8E21-47DC-8BA4-BAC1F1329F6E@microsoft.com>: > i cant open any windows...when i click on them the open with window pops up > a...

Looking for feedback
Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback please. Any advice is good advice at this point. Thanks -- www.outlookchallenged.com Br Sense <outlookhelp@ftard.com> wrote: > Hey everyone just started my own business doing consulting / training > for Microsoft Outlook please check out my site > www.outlookchallenged.com and provide any suggestions / feedback > please. Any advice is good advice at this point. The best advice I have to offer ...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://dailyupdatesonly.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

how do i write my own xml schema for Excel?
I have simple xml data files that I want to open in Excel and I need to define the data field types as text and/or numerics. I'd like to attach a schema to the data that defines these types but I can't seem to get it to work. What would you write the schema in and what would be some simple examples to accomplish this? For example, xml tag names of <CustomerCode> is text and <Sales> is numeric and they are the only two tags in a file and they repeat. There's information on the Microsoft web site that may help you get started: http://msdn.microsoft.com/office...

Looking for CRM Solution
Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for residentail, multifamily property management? On Apr 28, 12:55=A0pm, MrB <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone use, or has anyone encountered, a CRM based solution used for > residentail, multifamily property management? The beauty of Microsoft CRM is that it can be customized for any business in any industry. It's ability to be customized using front- end tools (not within code) is , as far as I know, unparalleled by any other software package. You have the ability to create new entiti...

export data from excel to adobe
If you have 2007, Microsoft has a free add-in that will add the ability to print to a file in .pdf format that works across all Office 2007 applications: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en If you don't have 2007, then one of the easiest to use .pdf file creators is probably PDFCreator from SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ it installs as a virtual printer on your system and when you wish to create a .pdf file you simply print to that virtual printer. Instead of a sheet of paper, y...

Unhandled database exception: A get/change operation on table 'Bat
During Edit Checks, we get the following message: Unhandled database exception: A get/change operation on table 'Batch_Headers' could not find a record. Then we get this message: This transaction was recovered during normal processing. You may continue processing this transaction. Any suggestions? You might want to run Check Links on payables. Before doing this, make sure you have a backup of your dynamics and company databases. Brenner -- www.KlenzmanConsulting.com "GPI" wrote: > During Edit Checks, we get the following message: > > Unhandled databas...

simple question #3
Hi, I have a strange bug which I need help. The problem is I caculate the m_xscale and m_yscale in OnOK, but when I call GetInfo with the same dlg object, the m_xscale and m_yscale are not the value I saved in OnOK. It seems OnOk did't save the value to the dialog object. Can anyone see what's wrong? The following are my code. Thanks. CCalibratDlg dlg( boost::numeric_cast<float>(line_width), boost::numeric_cast<float>(line_height), xscale, yscale, unitType ); if( dlg.DoModal( ) == IDOK ) { float xScale, yScale; int unitType; dlg.GetInfo( xScale, yScale, unitTy...

Excel Toolbars in Word
I have created my own customised toolbar for word. I want to get rid o the menu which has: File, View, Tools, etc. I know this can be done i excel but can it be done in word -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This is an Excel group not Word! But as it happens, it works the same way, the commandbar is just called Menu Bar not Worksheet Menu Bar application.commandbars("Menu Bar").enabled=false -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ianripping >" <<...

visual basic in excel -
Hi - I would like to Copy/Paste an area dependant on how many rows there are on a spreadsheet. I was thinking of using something like the below: X = COUNT("D:D") Range("A1:A" & X).Select Selection.Copy Range("D1:D" & X).Select ActiveSheet.Paste Range("E4:E" & X).Select Setting X as the COUNT of Column D, then adding '&' X to the Range to set the length of the Copy/Paste. I haven't gotten it to work. Any advice? Thanks! X = Application.COUNT("D:D") you might want COUNTA if there is text in the column -- ...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

Importing a chart from Excel
We have an Excel chart that we'd like to embed in an Outlook email, but everytime we attempt to do this, the file size becomes tremendous - far larger by megabytes compared to the original Excel file. We've tried all methods, and the only way to minimize the chart size is to create a PDF attachment. Is there another way? -- ___________________________ Robert Ades Accountancy Corp. 12100 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 660 Los Angeles, CA 90025 Tel: 310-571-1224 Fax: 310-571-1227 ...

Where is the graphics selection pointer in excel 2007?
I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the left end of the drawing toolbar then click and drag over multiple graphics to select them all. Then I could group them etc. What do i do now? It's to be found in - Insert tab - Illustrations - Shapes - select a shape and insert into w/s and immediately the new drawing tools format tab opens up -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Bruce" wrote: > I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the ...

cannot find database

Move Exchange 2003 database to different server
Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one server to another. Anything I can try, script? utility? I try to setup a server in advance to avoid to reinstall Exchange server even with /disasterrecovey in DR situation. Thanks, Joe you cannot move a database from one server to another and mount it... "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C09891F-EEEF-470F-9A2D-7C24293E2F69@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one > server to another. Anything I can try, script? uti...

Excel : Cursor
Hi, Nearly finished the project I have been working on so will soon sto pestering! Is there any way of hiding/removing, the cursor box off a particula sheet? So the user would have to use the hyperlink icon. Thanks Andre -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com you can try protecting/locking the cells. would that work for you? you can do that by going to tools, protection, protect sheet. "ajw150 >" wrote: > Hi, > > Nearly finished the project I have been working on so will soon stop > pestering! > > Is there any way of hiding/removing, the ...

=COUNTA() with multiple look-up
Hi All, I would like to count the number of items that have a value "AAA" in column A and an amount >0 in column B. As I am not quite sure how to incorporate two look-ups in a counta formula I was wondering if anyone can give me the formula? Many thanks! Rgds, Robert Try something like this: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*(B1:B100>0)) or....if there may be some text cells in B1:B100 interspersed with the numbers =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="AAA")*ISNUMBER(B1:B100)*(B1:B100>0)) Is that something you can work with? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP &...

Associating one column with another in Excel
Hi there, I have a column of data that has 1970 cells with mixed letter an number codes. The values in these cells come from another column with list of 1056 possible values. Is there a way to link my original column with a numerical value from to 1056 such that for example any time value A appears, "1" will appea in a cell next to it (B with 2, C with 3 etc) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com not sure if i understand you. you could look at the ROW() function. o if you wanted to set up a list, check out the VLOOKUP function. thi may help -- Message posted fr...

So simple I am missing it
I know this has to be simple, but the more I look at it the more I can not see it. Received printed bank statement. There is a debit in my Money 2007 register that is not on my paper statement. When I try to balance the Money 2007 account, it is off by the exact amount of the debit. When I reconcile the transaction in Money 2007 shows it has been reconciled, therefore I can not mark it reconciled. What do I need to do? Thanks From info provided, I think of unmarking the transaction in the register BEFORE starting the balance genie. "RHinNC" <rhinnc@[get rid of this] ...

can I edit a picture to look faded?
I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with text over it. "deborahm" <deborahm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D93DD63-8553-447D-A0AC-44EE0E1BD9B3@microsoft.com... > I want to edit my picture to be faded so I can use it as background with > text > over it. In Publisher you can do it one of two ways. For both ways start by inserting the picture. Method 1, right click on picture and select Format Picture, click on picture tab, then click on the dropdown for Color under Image Control and select wash...

Big mouse pointer size in Excel
Any body know how to change the mouse pointer size (the + pointer) in Excel ? I don't know why in one client's PC, its mouse pointer is bigger than normal, is it some kind of installation problem? Thanks. KL Go to Start SEttings Control Panel SEttings Mouse and you should be able to do some changes there "KL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:adbf01c3ec8c$d5f07cb0$a101280a@phx.gbl... : Any body know how to change the mouse pointer size (the + : pointer) in Excel ? I don't know why in one client's PC, : its mouse pointer is bigge...