locking in formatting in cells

Is it possible to set a format (such as number with no commas) so that users cannot change it by pasting in
data?

0
asdf5176 (41)
1/14/2005 7:07:38 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maintain Formatting with Formulas
I am writing a formula that references multiple cells as the possible source cell depending on certain parameters being met. My question is whether anyone knows how to maintain the formatting in the display cell? My possible source cells all contain different number formats (i.e. -1234.0 and ##00.0E-+00). Is there a way to write this into the formula, or is there a formatting option that allows you to keep the source cell's format? Any help would be great! Use the TEXT function to apply the same format to the values from the referenced cells as was used on those referen...

locking up
This might be more of a GDI question, but since I'm in MFC, I'll ask: Would BitBlt-ing to the screen repeatedly tend to lock up a program, after alt+tabbing to another application? If so, why? This seems to be happening to me, and I want to get to the bottom of the problem. What I have is either a fade loop or a screen-size redraw, both based on a timer and bitblt. Quite often, after I leave the program to go to another app, I cannot return and must "end task". "Steve Russell" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote in message news:%23YFL5Ks%23F...

FRX row format, MDA codes should allow me to use wild card charac.
FRX row format, MDA codes should allow me to use wild card characters, such as 11-1100-00,[Group.CODE???] 11-1100-00,[Group.CODE001]+11-1100-00,[Group.CODE002] -- Regards, Raja Raja, When using MDA Group and/or MDA Code within FRX you must explicitly enter the code IN FULL Use of wildcards is not supported, nor permitted. You will have to list each Code individually as you illustrate in your second line. Robert "Raja V" <rvijayarangan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:84D34C61-13BC-42DF-B393-3F16E3E9C151@microsoft.com... > FRX row format, MDA codes should allow me to...

Desktop Alert Locks Computer
Greetings, I am seeing a little quirk on some of my desktops. It only happens occasionally, but it happens to different models of PC. Not all the time, but once in awhile, I have users that complain of their PC freezing. The only remedy is to do a hard reboot. I have noticed in these instances, that the desktop mail alert ( the preview that pops up by the system clock when you get a new mail) is showing when it froze. If I go into Outlook and turn off the desktop alert, then the PC freezing stops. So, I know that the Desktop Alert is the cause of the problem. Has anyone else ever seen this? Th...

Assigning a value to a cell from a combox
Hi all, I have a 2 combobox and a button in my work sheet On click of this button, *the values in combobox must be assigned to a cell* (assume h8 and h9). can any one please help me to solve this problem. -- sjayar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sjayar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28435 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480977 Good morning sjayar It really depends on how you have set up your combo box and button. I you have done it through the control toolb...

How can I check a cell for current date and insert it if blank?
I am modifying the invoice template. I want to create a formaula that checks the date cell for the current date. If a date occupies the cell nothing happens, otherwise, the current date is inserted. Can this be done? Thanks Don Sub insertdate() With ActiveCell If Not IsDate(.Value) Then .Value = Date End With -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Don K" <Don K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85927992-1BA5-4B6A-94A7-AFFCCB607BD7@microsoft.com... >I am modifying the invoice template. I want to create a formaula that >checks >...

Display Empty Cells as Bar on Bar Chart
I'm creating a spreadsheet to track patch deployment and it has five phases: Initial, Test, Pilot, Due Date and Production. Most of the cells have dates in them but some don't. I would like for the cells with no dates to either show a bar associated with the phase with no date or show nothing, meaning there would be a break in the bar. Is this possible? url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1029-1.aspx ...

Formatting envelopes
Hi, I posted this question before, but I don’t think I asked my question correctly. I have a table with name and addresses and another table with envelope sizes (width and height in inches). Is it not possible to select a LETTER size paper in LANDSCAPE mode and print envelopes using the width and height to calculate the margins needed to print on the selected envelope? Another question? When printing in landscape mode do all printers print the page from left to right? If not, my idea will not work. I would really like to get this to work and your help would be greatly appr...

Contents automatically entered into another cell
working on an estimate and trying to figure out a way to take the results of one cell and have its contents be automatically entered into another cell. I have a subtotal line item for a particular category, I am wanting to create a cover page showing the various catergories but not all of the breakdown. (It is simple to keep track of right now, but as the estimate gets more involved, changes become harder to remember). I'm trying to create a reference to the cover page that will reflect the sub-total line item from the detailed breakdown. So, if $3.23 is shown in the deatailed br...

Lock formula to cell
I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a column the formula will always remain with say column H I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this happening but that is no use when I have to unprotect the sheet to delete a column. Anyone got thoughts on this? regards Pat Hi Pat without using VBA you can't achieve this Frank Pat wrote: > I want a formula to lock to a cell so that when I add or delete a > column the formula will always remain with say column H > > I know if the sheet is Password protected this will prevent this >...

locked excel File ??
Hi . I am working with my colleges with one Excel file in a shared file system. Sometime - when I open the file, there is the message "locked from College" - but he is definetly out of office and shut down his PC. We are using Excel 2003 + Excel 2007. What can I do?? THnks for help Susan ...

Can custom headers be linked to a cell in the worksheet?
This was a feature in 123 where header or footer information could be retrieved from a cell in the worksheet. Is there anything similar in Excel? You could use a macro... For instance, this code goes behind the ThisWorkbook module: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.LeftHeader = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub Texas_Toast wrote: > > This was a feature in 123 where header or footer information could be > retrieved from a cell in the worksheet. Is there anything similar...

Cannot Use 2007 Office Resource Kit Technical Library in Compiled Help format
I downloaded the 2007 Office Resource Kit Technical Library in Compiled Help format, double clicked on it, cleared the Always ask before opening this file check box and clicked Open. All I got was a window with a little icon in the top left. How do I get this to display properly? Thanks for reporting. It appears something is wrong with the latest published version (version 5 published on 6/12/2009). I've passed it on to the Office Resource Kit writer team at Microsoft. In the mean time, you can still access the content on-line via; http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=127122 The c...

Keeping text within the cell
Hi all, Mr. Newbie here, How does one format the cell so that when text is entered it does not flow across the worksheet or resize the cell? I would prefer to keep the cell the same size and not have the text run into the next column and then just mouse over the cell to read what is in that cell. Is this possible? Thanks Tim Foster Make an entry in the cell to the right (even a space). In article <rie3d059vtotqt4pihh14u0n6r34mqau1t@4ax.com>, Tim Foster <opyis@shaw.ca> wrote: > Hi all, Mr. Newbie here, > > How does one format the cell so that when text is entered i...

Locked out of database
Not sure what happened but get a message saying "database has been converted from a prior version of Access by using DAO compactdatabase and is now in a partially converted state." It says I should be able to import tables into a new data base but when I try this it just gives the same message about converting and the data base just doesn't open. Please help because lots at stake, have to do a report based on these tables so am waiting with anticipation!!!x Hi Pete, Usually this means you are opening an earlier version of Access in a new version. Make a copy of the data...

how may I copy color of a other cell
Hello, I need a function that copy also the full format/color/size of a cell Example A1 = USD 12'500.00 (monetary size, 12 fat, blue bottom) A2 = mon 12.03.2004 (dates, 10 not fat, white bottom) If in A3 I type: =" A1 " I would like a blue bottom, 12 fat, etc. and If I type =" A2 " a white bottom, 10 not fat, etc.... Is it possible? Thank you for any help. Thierry, Maybe you can use the Format Painter. Select the cell that has the formatting you wish to copy, and click the Format Painter. It's a paintbrush on a button on the Standard toolbar. Now click the c...

Outllook2007 to open my Outlook2002 Win7 says files locked.
I'm following 2002 to 2007 instructions step by step. When I point Outlook to my ..pst file, I get access restriction messages. How do I make sure these files can be accessed by Outlook 2007? Thanks. Which exact steps are these? From your Outlook 2002 machine, copy the pst-file to your Outlook 2007 machine and place it in a convenient location such as My Documents\Outlook\ In Outlook 2007 you can then reconnect to the pst-file via; File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... For details see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Robert Sparnaai...

Formats for Printing Macros
Excel 2007 I have been asked to produce some printouts of macros. How do I set the print format (margins, etc.)? -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 Do you mean you want to print the code itself out? If so, I don't know the specific answer to the question as you asked it; but, if this was for me to do, what I would do is just copy/paste the macros into a Word document, format them there as needed and then print them out from there. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Gary''s Student" <GarysStudent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Lock autoshape to fixed position
Hello, Does anybody know if it is possible to keep an autoshape to a fixed position. I have a worksheet that has two panes, one is frozen i.e. a fixed header and scrollable rows. On the bottom of the page I want to put a button bar made of shape buttons. The problem is that when I scroll, the buttons scroll too! It would be nices if I can keep them in position. I know that is is possible to add a second window, but that does not look so well... Any ideas? Multiple fixed panes would be a great option! Change the alignment option to be absolute. Picture properties > Layout tab > Advan...

Money "lock-out" solution-thanks Kurt
Kurt Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running again! Thank -you What happens to all your data when you do that? Do you still have your data? I tried reinstalling, but no luck. I hate to uninstall, since I would lose all the data, right? Would appreciate info. Thanks, Alice >-----Original Message----- >Kurt > >Thanks for the idea. It worked. I unistalled money 2002 >and the reinstalled using custom mode...up and running >again! Thank -you >. > Your data is in a file *.mny. This is ind...

Form locking up
I've completed my own Linked Table Manager wizard, so that the connections I create to SQL Server and Oracle database on my network don't require a DSN (DSN-less connections). This wizard exists in its own mda file, which I have added as a reference in several of my databases. In my test database, this wizard runs great. I've got a command button that calls a function (fnRefreshLinks) that exists in the wizard. It opens a form, refreshes a list of the linked tables, tests the link, and provides me with some options. When I run this same function from another database, it...

Where am I being locked out?!
This is an unusual problem and I'm hoping someone will have come across something similar before. Before I start I should state that I've hardly used Windows Server or Active Directory, so go easy on me if this is something obvious! I am having my account locked out on a daily basis. I know that this isn't to do with my machine as it happens even if I get my account unlocked and wait a day without turning my machine on I still can't log on the day after. I'm pretty sure it's a piece of software that I've installed somewhere that keeps trying to con...

Excel 2003 formats different that excel 2002
Row heights in a worksheet created and used in Excel 2002 are not the same now that I have opened the worksheet in a new install of Excel 2003. Why has this happened and what can I do to default back to the excel 2002 setup saving me the time of reformatting all of my row heights again in several sheets in numerous files? ...