Locking a wroksheet

howaya folks,

How does one lock a worksheet, so that others may not edit it.

answers on a postcard....

--
johner
johnerr's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2580

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Johnerr

Try:- Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet, you can the enter a password

This will protect all cells in the worksheet

If you want access to some cells for editing, before Protecting th
sheet you will need to do the following:-  Select all the celss yo
want access to and then Format > Cells > Protection Tab and uncheck th
locked selection

Pau

--
Paul Sheppar
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478

How do I lock a .pub doc so only certain fields may be edited?
I have created brochures for employees that I ONLY want certain information to be editable. For instance, they can input their name, contact info, photo but not be able to change the main body copy, headline, etc. How do I lock down certain pieces of the brochure but not others? Are they going to be working on the design of the brochure or are you = trying to create a form? If it's a form...output to Acrobat and create a pdf, then make it a = fillable form. If you're trying to lock aspects of the design process...dunno if that = can be done. One of the gurus will have to address ...

Locking Tabs
Is it possible to lock tabs so that someone can not change the position. Also how would I create a sheet for each day of the month. I was thinking of putting a date in one cell and then running a macro to create the sheet using dd-mm-yy format, but I don't know how to make sure the first sheet is the 01-mm-yy and then make sure it does not go past the end of that month. You can protect the workbook's structure. This will stop any renaming, inserting/deleting or moving/copying of sheets. In xl2003 menus: tools|Protection|Protect workbook Check structure and give it a nice memor...

Shared Access DB is Locked in Exclusive Mode
I have an application in VB6-SP6 that uses an Access database for the back-end. Initially, it was only going to be used my one person (me), so I did not create the ability to have multiple users log into it. In order to accomodate additional users using the application, I put the database on a network drive and installed the front-end on the other users' desktops. When opening the database, I now pass through for it to open the database in Shared Mode. I realize this could cause issues, if multiple people are making changes, but the other users are just using the program to look up ...

Locking Formulas #3
Is there a way to lock formuals in a worksheet so that users can enter new data without accidently dleleting the formulas? You may unlock the desired cells and then protect the worksheet. See "protection" in Help. Lisa wrote: > Is there a way to lock formuals in a worksheet so that users can enter new > data without accidently dleleting the formulas? There are two aspects to this: a. Each cell can be locked or unlocked - this is controlled through Format | Cells | Protection tab, and the default setting is Locked. b. The worksheet can be protected (and this can have a ...

how to lock a docked toolBar ?
Hello !! I have a CFrameWnd with a CToolBar. In the frame's OnCreate I dock the toolbar at the bottom of the frame. In the frame's OnSize, I move the toolbar so that it docks in the bottom-right corner of the frame. Here are the codes : OnCreate : m_vpo_ToolBar = new CToolBar(); m_vpo_ToolBar->Create(this); m_vpo_ToolBar->LoadToolBar(IDR_SIG_TLB); m_vpo_ToolBar->EnableDocking(CBRS_ALIGN_BOTTOM); this->DockControlBar(m_vpo_ToolBar, AFX_IDW_DOCKBAR_BOTTOM); OnSize : CRect tbRect; m_vpo_ToolBar->GetToolBarCtrl().GetWindowRect(&tbRect); if (!tbRect.IsRectEmpty()) { ...

Outlook 2007 locked in Safe Mode
A couple of weeks ago, I had a quick power outage and return. My computer didn't shut off, however it did re-boot. After the re-boot, Outlook 2007 came up in a safe mode, and I have not been able to get it back to normal. I am using Windows XP. Any Ideas??? NOTE: Please be as simple as you can as I am not as well versed on computers as I would like to be. Papamike62 <Papamike62@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > A couple of weeks ago, I had a quick power outage and return. My > computer didn't shut off, however it did re-boot. After the re-boot, > Outlook ...

Outlook 2002 causing Domain account lock issues
We are having a issue at our company with sites that have been migrated to Outlook 2002 - users logon to a workstation with Generic Logon Account - then access their own email profile. The main issue is when the user enters the login credential through the Outlook client. Outlook then passes the information on to the domain controlling authentication. If the credentials are incorrect, it appears that Outlook resends the credentials multiple times thereby causing the Corporate Login account to lock out the individual user - too many bad password attempts. We have some users that h...

locking/protecting rows?
Is there a way to lock or protect certain rows or columns withou protecting the whole sheet? Thanks for any help in advance! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rocks, You can unprotect all the other cells (Format - Cells - Protection - Locked), then protect the workbook (Tools - Protection - Protect worksheet. With Excel 2002 (and maybe 2000, but not XL 97), you have additional choices as to what the user can and can't do). -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "erocks5 >" <<erocks5.1b...

how to lock the find and replace dialog box in a corner
In Office 97 Excel, the find and replace dialog box could be moved out the field of view and it would stay there even afer to programe was closed. The next time it was turned on it was where it had been the last time. With office 2003 Excel, the box will be in the middlw of the screen. After it is moved, it will stay where it was moved as long as to program is open. After being closed and re-opened, the box will be back in the center of the screen. Is there a way to keep the box where it was moved to like it did in excel '97? ...

How do I move a picture in a Word doc without the picture 'locking
I'm trying to add a picture to a template Word doc which I downloaded from teh Microsoft Word template site. I can get the picture onto the page but I'm finding it very diffacult to move about the page - it keeps trying to lock onto the various text boxes, or invisible pre set positions. Change the layout wrapping property of the picture to something other than in-line. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site...

Lock cell question
You protect a worksheet using the tools menu. But is there anyway yo can lock a specific range of cells and not the entire worksheet -- guil ----------------------------------------------------------------------- guile's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2185 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46979 Yes First select the whole worksheet Format>Cells>Protection Uncheck the locked box Select the cells to lock Format>Cells>Protection Check the locked box Protect the worksheet -- HTH Bob Phillips "...

Deleting rows with locked cells
Hello, I'm trying to find a way to overcome a "feature" I've dicovered with Excel protection. If protection is enabled, with the "delete row" checkbox active, the row cannot be deleted if there are locked cells in the row. Is there a way to defeat this "feature"? Cheers, Paul excel beginner -- paul<dot>moore@pandora<dot>be Adjust "dots" for real address Unlock those cells to start or unprotect the worksheet, do the deletion and then reprotect the worksheet? Paul Moore wrote: > > Hello, > > I'm trying to f...

how to see locked cells
i�d like to know how can i do to see (easily) whether a cell is locked or not, when the workbook IS NOT protected, because using "format / cells" for each one is a little messy thanx a lot!!!!! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can add a Lock Cell button to the toolbar: Choose Tools>Customize Select the Commands tab Choose the Format category In the list of command buttons, scroll almost to the bottom, to find the Lock Cell button Drag the Lock Cell button to the toolbar Close the Customize window. Select a cell, and lock/unlock the cell by clicki...

Unlocking a password locked word document
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have saved a document ages ago (in 2006) and password locked it. I am unable to open it now because I have forgotten what password I assigned. Is there any way to unlock it? It isn't so much a matter of 'when' you applied the pw as it is a matter of which version of the program was used. Different versions have employed somewhat different methods. Even so, the only thing you can do on your own is keep guessing... There is no "Disregard the Password" button :-) Depending on how critical...

Locking column
Can anybody tell me how too lock a column, where by i do not want to allow user to update that column.? Hi LSB! By implication, I take it that the rest of the sheet is not locked. Select the entire sheet by clicking the button at the intersection of rows and columns headings (or Ctrl + A) Format > Cells Protection Tab Remove check from Locked OK Select the column that you want to lock by clicking it's column letter Format > Cells Protection Tab Place check in Locked OK Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet Give and confirm passwords if you want OK But note that Excel works...

Locking data #2
Hi, Is there any way that once a user has clicked a button or entered data into a cell it is locked in an equivalent cell? For example in Cell B1 formula =A1 in Cell A1 = 5 If the 5 becomes 6 then so will B1. But is there anyway, that by using a formula or short onClick code I can make it so that B1 remains 5 even if A1 changes. Thanks Antony ...

Locked cells are still able to be selected with proper protection
An excel worksheet I'm developing has rows that alternates between locked and unlocked cells. When I protect the worksheet with the option for users to select unlocked cells and format cells checked I'm still able to select and format locked cells by drag the cursor vertically from one unlocked cell to another. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Any help would be appreciated! Hi Jesse Select the whole w/sheet < format < format cells < protection < uncheck then check locked < ok Select the areas you need to allow access Format < format cel...

Price Lock Order Issue
Does anyone know of a way to change the "Prices Locked" field on the Order form? I read somewhere that I can be changed from the Quote form, but I can't find this option anywhere. I can't force a change to this field through javascript either, the field seems to be set in its own way. Action->Use Current Pricing menu. It will change to Action->Lock Pricing once price is unlocked. Hope this helps. -- George Doubinski CRM Certified Professional - Developer Blog: http://crm.georged.id.au/ "@VGroupby1" <VGroupby1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

How prevent input mask appearing in locked date field?
Access 2003. When user clicks in a date field that has enabled = false, locked = true, the input mask appears even though no data can be entered. Seems like an Access bug. How to prevent mask appearing? -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime". This is no problem for me in Access 2003! When a control is set to Enabled = False Locked = True Access won't let me move into the control! -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message po...

File Object Lock with WDK
Hi All, I know that it is possible to have an automatic synchronization that is based on File Object: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff544763(VS.85).aspx Can't find anywhere that says how. TIA, Asaf "Asaf Shelly" <MSMediaForum@Shelly.co.il> wrote in message news:6D71B953-80CB-43AA-BA78-3955C288394C@microsoft.com... > Hi All, > > I know that it is possible to have an automatic synchronization that is > based on File Object: > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff544763(VS.85).aspx > > Can't find anywhere that s...

excel locks up after selecting a cell
I have a laptop...so the problem is not a scrolling mouse wheel.....when I select a cell in the workbook it will not let it go....as I move the mouse around it keeps selecting all the sells as if i have the mouse held down....do not appear to have a key stuck either......however...when the cell is selected...(before i click the cursor in a cell) i can move around to different cells with the arrow keys and it only selects one cell at a time...like it is suppose to...as soon as I click with the mouse the whole spreadsheet continues to be selected wherever i move the mouse...even if i mov...

How to avoid dead lock in linking lib files ?
I have added a sub project to a working kernel image on x86 platform and using wince 6.0 This project has several dir with sources and each one of them I have made as a lib. I could build and produce these lib files also. I wrote an app to test these and in the app using SOURCELIBS i'm linking all these lib files - But they seem to be interdependent and generating lots of unresolved external... My app sources has SOURCELIBS like this :- SOURCELIBS=\ $(_SYSGENSDKROOT)\lib\$(_CUINDPATH)\acpi_hardware.lib\ $(_SYSGENSDKROOT)\lib\$(_CUINDPATH)\acpi_utilities.lib\ $(_SYSGENSD...

Excel locking up
For some strange reason I open a spreadsheet and when I click in the cell, I cannot do anything else...as I move the mouse around the selected cells just increases wherever I move the mouse....no menu selections are available and I cannot even select the close box in the upper right..I have to right click in the bottom taskbar and select close.... when I reopen it allows me to access all the menus items until I click in a cell and it locks up again....HELP!! if I restart the computer it goes away, but then it happens again several days later Hi Mabe David's page will help http://...

locking a record to edit it.
I have a form where a user selects a ref number and then another form opens with this record details showing. The problem is the record does not lock until the user begins to type an update in one of the boxes. In the meantime another user can open the same record and begin to type an update. Only the second users changes are kept and the first user is told changes not saved. How can I stop this and lock the record immediately on opening? Do you have "Open Databases Using Record Level Locking" checked? And "Default Record Locking/Edited Records" check? You'll find thes...

Taskbar is not locked and will not move, pls help!
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so please bear with me. My 2 year old decided that it would be fun to 'play computers' with my laptop and she has pressed a load of buttons, she also grabbed the mouse and randomly clicked. Yep, she did all this in the time it took me to run across the room and stop her! She is a cheeky monkey. Anyway, I don't think she has done any lasting damage but my taskbar is now on the right hand side of my screen, not along the bottom. It's not locked and I can't move it! I know how to move it (just click inside the bar in an em...