Lock Conditional Formatting

Good afternoon,

Is there a way that I may lock the conditional formatting of a cell without
locking out the ability to enter data into the cell?  I have several columns
of data, each column with a different conditional formatting scheme.  I want
to make sure that no one accidentally copies a cell in one row into another
row or does "fill right/left" - which kills the formatting.  When I protect
the worksheet, which disables a user from having access to the formating
buttons (text color, pattern, border), a user can still copy or fill the
format of one cell to another.  Any suggestions as to what I can do?  Any
help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Matt Colon

0
Matt
2/3/2004 8:42:54 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I go round and round with things similar to this every day.   I don't know
the answer to your specific problem, but I have found on occasion that a
good "reset" feature can save the day.....    say in your case something
that can copy the proper formats over from a secret area to the area of
concern, like maybe a Change-event macro?

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Matt Colon" <matt.colon@dmjm_NO_SPAMharris_DOT_com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon,
>
> Is there a way that I may lock the conditional formatting of a cell
without
> locking out the ability to enter data into the cell?  I have several
columns
> of data, each column with a different conditional formatting scheme.  I
want
> to make sure that no one accidentally copies a cell in one row into
another
> row or does "fill right/left" - which kills the formatting.  When I
protect
> the worksheet, which disables a user from having access to the formating
> buttons (text color, pattern, border), a user can still copy or fill the
> format of one cell to another.  Any suggestions as to what I can do?  Any
> help or direction is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt Colon

0
croberts (1377)

Can Report formats be modifed?
When I print reports, such as Monthly Income and Expenses, there are no spaces between any of the lines -- and that makes the report hard to read without using a ruler. Is there a way to modify report formats by inserting a blank row where it would be helpful? The customize options are what you get. "rjban (fake) @bellsouth.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:840d01c495d4$b4c71d90$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When I print reports, such as Monthly Income and Expenses, > there are no spaces between any of the lines -- and that > makes the repo...

HELP
Hi, Slowly going mad.... Every time I go into excel and move my mouse over the work sheet, it automatically acts as if it is on some sort of scroll lock. If I click in a cell, it acts as though I am holding down the mouse button and selecting an entire range- it will not let me dis-engage. Until just now I was able to get out of this by going into task mgr and disabling excel manually... now it won't even let me do that! Helpdesk where I am have no idea! I advised them this seems to happen on warmer days... has anyone experienced a similar prob ..... could it be anything to so...

want all outgoing messages to use html format
hello, running outlook 2003 with sp3 under windows xp. outlook is setup to send new email messages using html format which i like. the issue i have is that when i reply to a message that uses text format (rather than html), the reply message also defaults to text. is there any way to change this default so that all my messages (both new as well as replies, including replies to text email messages) go out using html format? i understand why outlook is setup this way, but i still want to change it so all my outgoing email uses html format. thanks. <calvinburnes@gmail.com> wrote in m...

calculated field with conditions
In the query design view I am trying to make a calculated field total certain amounts based upon the contents of a certain field. The statement reads: IIf([recShortName]<>"sm/TRACTORS" Or "sm/WASH ALL TRAILERS" Or [recShortName] Not Like "bnsf*",Nz([bilUnit1],0)+Nz([bilUnit2], 0)...etc.,0) The field is calculating in each record whether or not recShortName matches or not. I would like some guidence on how to arrange to statement with the proper syntax and logic. The goal is to find to records where [recShortName] does not equal "sm/ TRACTORS" or...

Date Format 01-09-08
Hi, In Access 2007, how can I show a date as Jan 08 when the date was selected as 01/01/2008 using the date picker tool? Is this possible. Regards John On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:35:33 -0000, John wrote: > Hi, > In Access 2007, how can I show a date as Jan 08 when the date was selected > as 01/01/2008 using the date picker tool? > > Is this possible. > > Regards > > John Set the Format property of the control to: mmm yy This will only affect the display. The value will still be 1/1/2008 -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to person...

Formatting a Chart Object
I am creating a report which contains a bar chart. There is to be a seperate chart for each category, which I have accompished. Now, I want the individual bars for each of the charts to change color based on their values. As a general example, lets say I am plotting students test scores by date on the chart. I want to create a seperate chart for each child (this I know how to do by using the linking fields when I create the chart, then setting up a section header for each child). Now I want any test score less than 60 to show up as red on their individual graph. I have successfu...

Outlook 2002 (XP)_Missing formatting toolbar
I can't find the formatting toolbar. Checked View>Toolbars and checked the double arrows beneath it (and beneath all my menus). I only show Standard, Advanced, and Web. Reviewed all the commands and options, and didn't see any for what I need: Change font, color, or size. Set for HTML email, Word as Text Editor. ### You are in the Outlook interface. Once you are in the comosing interface (start a new mail) you can select the bars -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstrea...

dwTimeout parameter in CCriticalSection::Lock()
I'm using CSingleLock to lock a critical section and pass a timeout (10 seconds) when I call CSingleLock::Lock. A ASSERT fails at run time and I see that in CCriticalSection::Lock() the dwTimeout is not used, and it asserts the dwTimeout must be INFINITE. why CCriticalSection::Lock() does not take a timeout other than INFINITE? Thanks. WJ I am absolutely certain that the code does not take "A" ASSERT. In my experience, it always takes an assertion on a specific line of a specific file, neither of which you thought was important enough to mention. You also ...

conditional format from row to row
Hi, I am using Excel 2003 and would like a conditional format to work with a named range, is that possible? I have a named Range called City in column b. When the city changes I would like for the entire row to change to a specific color I designate. I have used this formula =$b16<>$b15 and this works until I filter the data. Please if anyone has done this or something close I would like to see your formula. Thanks, John For a "2 color" band...one group of rows will be the color you select. The next group of rows will not be colored in effect giving you a 2 color band....

dates and formats
I am trying on one colum to have the dates 01/07/2008 (dd/mm/yy) right until 30/06/2008 but l just cannot get it to do this. What am l doing wrong. have typed dates in 2 cells the hage highlighted both boexs until + appears and drag down this stops at month 12. Please can some one assits me in this beofre l go crazy -- jd Enter an unambiguous startdate in say, A1: 01-Jul-2008. Just drag A1 down as far as required. It'll increment one day per row. Then only format the col in the date format that you want to taste. -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,00...

Form in Report format
Hi Is it possible to get a form to produce the same format as a report. I would like to be able to have a form which is linked to a query. There are 3 different parts to the format I would like. The first is to show the supplier name Next is to show all the payment details for the supplier based on dates Last is to show further details for each payment based on the payment no. I hope this explanation is clear. Thanks Noemi A form with the appropriate subforms can do that. Have a look at the sample Northwind database that comes with Access for an example that mirrors you list of require...

Resetting Formatting in a Character Style
Supposed I modify the Emphasis style from "Blank" font face to arial. How do I modify Emphasis to go back to not changing the font face at all? I have tried typing in SPACE, CTRL/SPACE but when I click OK it goes back to arial. With *paragraph* styles, you can use a macro to reset the style definition (see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/ResetStyles.htm). However, that method doesn't seem to work with character styles, at least not in Word 2007. Instead, what you can do is copy a "clean" version of the Emphasis style, say from the Normal template (as...

Applying more than 3 conditional formats
Hi there! I would like to apply a different cell colours to a range based on the cell value compared with a fixed scale of values. e.g. values between 0-10 get "green" cell background 11-20 get "orange" cell background 21-30 get "red" cell background 31-40 get "purple" cell background 41-50 get "blue" cell background I am aware that you can use conditional formatting to produce this effect, but I'd like to show more than 3 colours. Is this possible? Or what are the alternatives to getting the same result? Any help you can give me gre...

Sorting with Conditions-This is a tough one
I have a huge spreadsheet containing part numbers, work order numbers, labor time, and due dates. Here are the constraints 1. Cannot exceed certain amount of labor hours in one day (For this example let's use 10 hours 2. Cannot repeat the same part number within that block of 10 hour 3. Work must be sorted by due date within 10 hour block (that's the easy part Look at the example below Part Number W.O. Labor Time (Hours) Due Dat A 100 2 1/1/0 A 101 2 ...

Zero % change to "-" custom number format
We are working with an add-on product that exports data into Excel. The product exports raw data into our spreadsheet and we do the formatting. The problem we have is that we want to replace 0% with a dash "-". I have tried a few things in Cell Format with custom numbers, but without any luck. We are looking for a custom number format not a macro to resolve our issue Thanks for your help in advance. David 0%;-0%;- Regards Trevor "David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B917FC5-B22E-4AC1-A25F-F0B4E030F260@microsoft.com... > We ...

Conditional formatting #12
Hi folks, I have some text in columns A and B that I want to go red if column D contains a y. Under conditional formatting I set a formula =d8="y" This isn't working and suggestions would be welcome! Thanks, Danny If cell A8 is the active cell, use the formula: =$D8="y" Aardvark wrote: > I have some text in columns A and B that I want to go red if column D > contains a y. Under conditional formatting I set a formula =d8="y" This > isn't working and suggestions would be welcome! -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List...

Excel Date Format
I am an accountant that uses Excel extensively in my work. On a very regular basis, I enter account numbers, often in formats that Excel is programmed to recognize as dates, and as a result it frequently (and incorrectly) reformats the data I enter as a date. Now, when I'm posting hundreds of account numbers from the clipboard, it is very time-consuming, not to mention frustrating, to have to go back and manually correct each one. Obviously, I can't just highlight the affected cells and change the format back, since the date format actually changes the data in the cell. I'...

Converting e.g. 28-07-2004 to recognised date format
Hello I've got a column full dates in a non standard format, like below. Ho can I convert these to an excel recognised format? 28-07-2004_ 30-07-2003_ 31-07-2002_ 01-08-2001_ 31-07-2000_ 02-08-1999_ 03-08-1998_ 04-08-1997_ 29-07-1996_ 17-07-1995_ Thanks, Berti -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Bertie! Here's one way: Use a helper column and this formula: =DATE(MID(A1,7,4),MID(A1,4,2),LEFT(A1,2)) Format to the date style that you want. then you could delete the orginal list if you so desire. Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hello > >I've ...

Outlook 2003 saved drafts lose format, subject title
I am using Outlook 2003 on Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. Outlook has been working well for months. I normally use HTML as the editor. However, recently (suddenly) every time a draft is saved, it turns into text and the Subject title is lost. The Subject title appears in the list of drafts, but it is not present when I open the email to do further editing. I tried first repairing and then reinstalling, but nothing changed. Help! Thanks, Bill Edelstein Baltimore, MD ...

how do I convert an Access 2000 file format .mdb file to
How can I convert an Access 2000 database file format (I have Access 2003 and Access 2007 on my IBM laptops) to be able to be read on a Macintosh computer? Is there Access for the macintosh? thank you! Craig www.agentjim.com/MVP/Excel/Office2004andAccess.doc Here is your answer. Sorry you should return your mac and get a good PC. "Craig" wrote: > How can I convert an Access 2000 database file format (I have Access 2003 and > Access 2007 on my IBM laptops) to be able to be read on a Macintosh computer? > Is there Access for the macintosh? > > thank you! &...

Conditional data validation drop downs
Good afternoon, I want to set up drop down's that bring up criteria to be selected based on a previous data drop down selection, i.e. let's say column A has drop downs consisting of various areas within a building, i.e. Ceiling Void, Roof, Ceiling, Floor etc. Based on what is selected in A1 the drop down criteria in B1 should relate only to what could apply to the selection in A1. I.e. If Ceiling Void is selected in A1 then the user should only be allowed to select, for example, from Fire Break, Pipe Lagging, Fire Break, Feature Panels etc in B1. If however 'Roof&#...

Electronic number formatting
Anybody out there know if it's possible to format numbers to 2 significant figures and using symbol/scientific notation, ie k for thousand m for milli etc. Hope this is a challenge for somebody ;-) ...

shared spreadsheet
Hi All, We have a shared Excel 2003 spreadsheet with some formatted lines (colored cells/rows). One one person's screen it shows it correctly, but on the other person's screen, it doesn't show all the formatting. Plus the colors are slightly different from each other (different type of green etc.) Can anyone help me ? thanks, Alexandra ...

Formating dates
I have dates and times in 2 cells(a1 and b1). How do I format an other cell(c1) to tell me hiow many days there is between cells (a1 and B1). Thanks Ian =B1-A1 format as general (end date - start date) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com "pcor" <pcor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E226B8F4-6624-4592-B8A5-AE1F98E07403@microsoft.com... >I have dates and times in 2 cells(a1 and b1). How do I format an other > cell(c1) to tell me hiow many days there is between cells (a1 and B1). > Thanks > Ian Hi! A1 = start date/time ...

conditional color fill of bar graphs
I would like to set the color of individual bars on a bar graph based on the value of the cell on the corresponding excel 2007 spreadsheet. I want to use traffic light colors - red, yellow and green depending on the numeric value in the cell it is tied to. Jon has very useful instructions at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "jwats" <jwats@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F73ED7D-9B1D-473E-B090-ADB22AB54EAC@microsoft.com......