linking drop down lists

hi, im trying to create a user friendly spreadsheet. i have 2 columns
need help with.

in the first column i have created a drop down list containing
continents of the world. in the second column i want another drop dow
list to display only the countries from the continent selected. fo
instance. in the first column i have selected africa. how can i make i
so that when i have selected africa from the continents drop down list
to make the cell next to it (the countries drop down list)( only giv
the option of selecting a country from africa instead of all th
countries of the world

--
reading200
reading2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1448

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hello
Here's a suggestion:
Name your range of continents "Continents"
Name each range containing countries starting with the prefix of the
continent (eg "Asia") followed by "Countries" (eg "AsiaCountries")
Use data validation for both lists
Refer to the defined name "Continents" for the continents drop down list (in
A1 in this example)
Refer to the following formula to to retrieve the relevant countries of the
selected continent :
=INDIRECT($A$1 & "Countries")
Where in A1 you would have the drop down list of continents

HTh
Cordially
Pascal

"reading2004" <reading2004.1cvqbz@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le
message de news:reading2004.1cvqbz@excelforum-nospam.com...

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14481
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=261556

0
papou

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

contacts appear as deleted in my list when they didn't delete me
I have this situation come up every once in a while is anyone else experiencing this? and what is causing the miss labeling? -- Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy Skywolfe Hi Skywolfe, Just to confirm, how are you identifying them as being deleted? -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com (c) 2009 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation -- "Rage Skywolfe"...

Linked Forms

outlook 2003 has 2 "send" labels in the send receive drop down
hi, sometimes, i have to reboot my machine because the send recieve button in outlook does not work, when i go to the drop down menu, i dont see any of my "accounts" listed, and I see the word "send", then the next line is duplicated and also says 'send". the only way to get back to "normal" is to reboot the whole system until it happens again. This usually happens once per day. Close Outlook. Do a search for the outcmd.dat file (this is a hidden file so you'll have to either tell Windows Explorer to unhide it or search hidden files and folder...

Links not linking

how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?
Hi, I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel??? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: h...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

Rows inserted into a List will not sort properly
I have a spreadsheet that is sorted first by department, then by number. The departments are sorting OK, but within some of the departments, the numbers are not being sorted properly. This is happening in departments where some rows have been inserted into the spreadsheet and data has been entered. In those departments, after running the sort, the numbers of the inserted rows appear first, followed by the remaining numbers. I've tried reformatting the cells and Iv'e also tried copying the sheet and pasting it into a new file, both to no avail. Any ideas? Excel 2003, Window...

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

Distribution lists in Outlook2000
Is there a way to programatically create distribution lists in Outlook? For example, I have e-mail addresses in a database, and I use a select statement to retrieve them, and then I want to create a distribution list on outlook and add these e-mail addresses to that list. Is this possible to automate this? I mean programatically, not manually?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! SG ...

Variation on dependant Lists problem
Hi, Is it possible to programme Excel so that if you enter a particula value in A1 it will enter an associated text in A2. For instance, I a trying to create a stock-control sheet. Each piece of stock has a cod and a description. I would like to be able to enter the code in colum A, which will automatically enter the description in column B. I kno how to create dependant lists using data validation and wondered i there was a variation on this function that would solve my problem. Many thanks And -- andyp16 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- andyp16...

how do i arrange list in alphabetical order?
how do i arrange list in alphabetical order? If each list member is a separate paragraph, select the list and use the Sort command. This is on the Table menu in Word 2003 and earlier (the text does not have to be in a table), and in the Paragraph group on the Home tab in Word 2007. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Chuks" <Chuks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EEDD52B-1DC3-413C-9D77-CA20FAFE2A32@microsoft.com... > how do i arrange list in alphabetical order? > ...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

blue book listing
Hello Mary, Empire Offset Printing Inc. 160 Cabot St. West Babylon N.Y 11704 Est. 1987 Anthony Costantino Pres. Full Color /up to 42'' 631 293-5390/ FAX 293-1639 ...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

Outlook 2003: How to show multiple task lists?
Does anyone know if it is possible to show multiple task lists (i.e. a personal list and a work-related list) side by side in the task list view by default? It's simple in the calendar to show two calendars simultaneously, and it seems completely ridiculous not to include the same functionality in the task list view. Any help would be appreciated. No, but you can use the right click on the additional task list you want to display and select "Open in new window" - then resize your windows to show them side by side. Why would one want to show task lists in the same way as cal...

List of worksheets
Is it possible to obtain a list of the worksheets in a workbook and, say, store it in a separate sheet or export it to Word? Thanks in advance. Thanks. Do you happen to know if this can be done by, say, macro as I didn't really want to buy a whole utility for such a straightforward task! "Stelios Tserkezis" <tserkezis_st@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O81A5xuSDHA.1556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > you can use power utility pak v5 from http://j-walk.com/ss/pup/pup5/ > its the best tool. > � "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> ������ ...