Linking Cells: Excel into Word Document

Greetings,

After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that
there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in a
worksheet be linked to a Word document.

Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an extensive
document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the
required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new
databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would
like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would
be many inserts/links) into the Word document.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Greetings,

I forgot to mention that I was attempting to have the word document updated
when the excel document would be changed.

Sorry for the confusion,

Eric

"Eric Tubbs" <Eric.Tubbs@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that
> there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in
> worksheet be linked to a Word document.
>
> Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an
extensive
> document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the
> required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new
> databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would
> like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would
> be many inserts/links) into the Word document.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Hi

You can use Word's Mail Merge for this. Only limitation - all data for one
document to be created must be placed on single row. And you can't
individualize charts (all documents you create have same charts).

--
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee)
Arvi Laanemets

"Eric Tubbs" <Eric.Tubbs@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that
> there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells in
> worksheet be linked to a Word document.
>
> Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an
extensive
> document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the
> required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new
> databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects. Would
> like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which would
> be many inserts/links) into the Word document.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

0
garbage (650)
11/12/2003 7:48:40 AM
Arvi,

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling that this wouldnt work out.

Thanks,

Eric

"Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> You can use Word's Mail Merge for this. Only limitation - all data for one
> document to be created must be placed on single row. And you can't
> individualize charts (all documents you create have same charts).
>

> --
> (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee)
> Arvi Laanemets
>

> "Eric Tubbs" <Eric.Tubbs@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> >
> > After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that
> > there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells
in
> > worksheet be linked to a Word document.
> >
> > Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an
> extensive
> > document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the
> > required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new
> > databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects.
Would
> > like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which
would
> > be many inserts/links) into the Word document.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Eric

Arvi,

As an alternative to MS Word Mail Merge, a tool called XpertDoc would
allow you to take data from anywhere in an Excel sheet (even from
multiple sheets and files) and embed it in your Word document.

You can check it out at www.xpertdoc.com.

If you think this might interest you, let me know and I'll help you
figure out how to implement your solution (use either a public post or
send an email to xpertdoc support).

"Eric Tubbs" <Eric.Tubbs@centurytel.net> wrote in message news:<VZadnaXxyshqSi-iRVn-tw@centurytel.net>...
> Arvi,
>
> Thanks for the information. I had a feeling that this wouldnt work out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> "Arvi Laanemets" <garbage@hot.ee> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > You can use Word's Mail Merge for this. Only limitation - all data for one
> > document to be created must be placed on single row. And you can't
> > individualize charts (all documents you create have same charts).
> >

> > --
> > (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee)
> > Arvi Laanemets
> >

> > "Eric Tubbs" <Eric.Tubbs@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > After reading through the help files for Excel 2002, it seems to me that
> > > there is no way, except for programming, to have just a range of cells
>  in
> > > worksheet be linked to a Word document.
> > >
> > > Here is what I am attemping to accomplish: Using Word to create an
>  extensive
> > > document for a database proposal. Using Excel to document the all of the
> > > required tables (since nothing has been created in Acces and I am new
> > > databases), drawing diagrams with lines and other database objects.
>  Would
> > > like to be able to insert/link certain cells from a worksheet (which
>  would
> > > be many inserts/links) into the Word document.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Eric

Excel hart has OLE onject errors in Access 2007
I am trying to build a chart on a form in Access 2007. I have already created it in Excel and want it to look the same but it seems that the formatting options are greatly reduced, fewer chart options, and formatting variations in Access. I tried to copy and paste the chart from Excel 2007 onto my Access form, and gave it the query as the data source but got messages "The operation on the OLE object failed. The OLE server may not be registered. To register the OLE server, reinstall it." If I remove the name of the query I get an identical chart to the one in Excel, ...

Excel 2000 #4
I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to absolute? Do you that they are produced via formulae? -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "billytre" <billytre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C22BA5C-5B4D-44D0-8B56-8EDEBF1CE862@microsoft.com... > I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to > absolute? No Bob, Just a straight fill by dragging. "Bob Phillips" wrote: > Do you that they are produced via formulae? > > -- > HTH &...

Change link between form and subform

linking #4

Excel and gridline
When I print out my excel sheet, some of my gridline are missing. How do i restore them? By default no gridlines are printed. Use File|Page Setup; open the Sheet tab and check the box got gridlines best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "libtech3" <libtech3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF3DD74D-6C00-4965-AB1F-31262DC82CB4@microsoft.com... > When I print out my excel sheet, some of my gridline are missing. How do > i > restore them? ...

Opening xls files in word
When I open an excel file it opens in word. If I open Excel and then open the file it opens properly. How do I change the default to open all excel files in excel? Rich Rich, Open up Windows Explorer, click the 'Tools' toolbar and then 'Folder Options...'. Click the 'File Types' tab, and scroll down to find the XLS file extension. Highlight "XLS" - I think it will say that it's set to open with Microsoft Word. If so, click the 'Change' button and set it to open with Microsoft Ex...

Format Cell as True/False
OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. ~Lori Sounds like you are remembering Access database tables. Lori wrote: > OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a > cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. > > Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. > > ~Lori This is a multi-part message in MIME ...

Can I insert Auto Text of Last Updated in Excel 2003?
Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? Using a macro yes http://tinyurl.com/4d4of -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "jess_steven" <jess_steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC065FC2-1B52-40D0-BB3E-04DDE7872268@microsoft.com... > Can i do the above on a sheet or in a Header/Footer? ...

Running total from an edited cell
I want to keep a running total of inventory as follows: On Hand This Shipment Quan Updated Part # 1 10 5 update this column on each new shipment Part # 2 15 10 Part # 3 20 30 I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each part# I am using Excel 2007 Please help ! See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <9104B5C3-CD46-460E-A939-C2B1EA736D42@microsoft.com>, MacPack2 <MacPack2@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Linked Forms

Right-Click in Excel 2002
My right mouse button is set to "select" a cell. How can I change it to bring up the menu that allows me to "delete" "insert" rows/columns? I was accustomed to this feature in my previous version of Excel. Just in Excel, or in all applications? Look at Start, Settings, Control Panel, double-click Mouse, and change settings there as appropriate (like possibly you have button configuration set to "left-handed." Change to "right-handed.") MRO "gambersh" <hivre@excite.com> wrote in message news:04d301c381fa$c4b72590$a301280...

Links not linking

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

Online resource (documentation with examples)?
If this is possible please let me know, there are a few things in m mind that i would like to implement, finding the resource seems to b the hardest challenge, i am trying to decipher the help.chm available making progress slowly, also using the msdn online resource, (no enough low level detail for my experience with programming), so if yo could recommend any resources online or downloadable, (for free), i would be of great use! \\Regards\thanks\Riz -- Rizits ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rizitsu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?a...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Cell grouping
Hello, This is the problem. I have 5 columns that are in this order, Date Req.#, Requestor, Dept. and notes. I need to know how to arrange th entire row where the departments are grouped together with th corresponding information. The dates are not important as this repor is quarterly; I know how to sort a column by itself but not the entir page. Thanks -- jackel JLatham Wrote: > I should add that usually Excel is smart enough to know that when you > grab > one column of information to sort, and it is contiguous with other > columns > with data in them, to grab them a...

Adding a control line to excel chart without showing up in the leg
How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, or data table? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. -- thanks tweaver On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, TWeaver <TWeaver@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I add a control line, (such as average, ucl, lcl), to an excel bar or >line chart and not have the control line series show up in the chart legend, >or data table? Single-click twice on the legend entry for the control line, and ...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Colour cells in Task pane.
Much like one can do in Ms Excel, I would like to colour the cells, as in the Task Panes. Is this possible? If so how? Highlight the cells you want to ad color to in your table then click on the little bucket at the top "Volcanic" wrote: > Much like one can do in Ms Excel, I would like to colour the cells, as in the > Task Panes. Is this possible? If so how? > ...

Training in Excel
Has anyone received their training from a Global Knowledge, Inc. Excel training course. If not, do you have an e-mail address for a contact at Global Knowledge that has been responsive to you. I have a question about a Global Knowledge, Inc. Excel exercise and will require the files supplied with the course for the answer. A cell is not responding as it should and I want to know if it is due to a default or an error in formatting the cell or precedent. Any help anyone could provide would be of value to me. Product version is 2003. Thanks in advance. -- Effie I don't know any...

Excel 97 tabs
Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? No This was established in Excel XP "SS" <ssriding1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:00e601c36c01$31cea820$a601280a@phx.gbl... : Is there a way to change the fonts and/or background : colors on the Excel 97 file tabs? : ...

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Thank you microsoft.public.excel.charting
The following is an excerpt from the acknowledgments in my forthcoming book, Just Plain Data Analysis [the companion web page is here: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/jpda/ "To prepare the tables and charts in this book, I acquired near mastery of the 2003 Microsoft Excel charting software and considerable experience with the 2007 version. Excel is much more powerful than a counter sorter, but the frustrations are the same. My masters in my quest to earn a black belt in Excel charting were the regular contributors to the microsoft.public.excel.charting newsgroup: Rob Bovey, Debra Dalgleish, Shane ...