linear increments

Hi,
I am kind of new to excel and was wondering if excel is capable of
doing linear increments. I want increments that can vary, meaning in
one case i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 2 and in other
cases i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 5. The number of cells
change. Is it possible for excel to do this w/o having to specify the
number of cells needed?

--
NewGuy100
NewGuy100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27935

-1
10/7/2005 8:32:18 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

NewGuy100 Wrote:
> Hi,
> I am kind of new to excel and was wondering if excel is capable o
> doing linear increments. I want increments that can vary, meaning i
> one case i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 2 and in othe
> cases i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 5. The number of cell
> change. Is it possible for excel to do this w/o having to specify th
> number of cells needed?

One way ...

Enter this formula in Cell A2 and copy down until Cell A10:

=IF(OR($A$1=\"\",$B$1=\"\"),\"\",A1+$B$1

where

A1 contains the first value of your series (in your example, it is 0)
B1 contains the increment for your series

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards

--
BenjieLo

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47431

I think that the answer can be something like this:

=IF(OR($A$1="";$B$1="");"";A1+$B$1)

As BenjieLop says, A1 contains the first value of your series (in your
example, it is 0)
and B1 contains the increment for your series
and you must enter the formula in Cell A2 and copy down until Cell A10.

--
JRod
http://EXCELer.blogspot.com

"NewGuy100" <NewGuy100.1wjvma_1128719103.9408@excelforum-nospam.com>
escreveu na mensagem

> Hi,
> I am kind of new to excel and was wondering if excel is capable of
> doing linear increments. I want increments that can vary, meaning in
> one case i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 2 and in other
> cases i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 5. The number of cells
> change. Is it possible for excel to do this w/o having to specify the
> number of cells needed?
>

> --
> NewGuy100
> NewGuy100's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27935
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474313

0
jorgerod2 (3)

linear and exponential graphs and x,y intercepts
I have two lines one linear (y=mx+c) and one exponential (y=c^bx) and they intercept each other. I believe it is possible to calculate where the lines intercept. Although I can do this by graphing the data, it takes time and allows for user error so a calculation would speed things along greatly. The problem: So for the first line using the equation y=mx+c the numbers for the 13kPa line are y=0.0021x+9e-16 And for the exponential line (y=c^bx) which we produce to using the myograph is y=0.0022^0.0046x (^=Exp) I know that the two lines intercept at 1613. But no matter what I try I can&...

Linear Programming
In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable linear programming problem on a spreadsheet with a a number of constaints using Solver? Franklin - See the tutorials and examples at www.solver.com. Or, search your drive for the file solvsamp.xls, which is installed when Solver is installed and which has a 3-variable nonlinear example that is easily converted to linear. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com +++++++++++++++++++ "Franklin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c5a01c500bf$8f5038c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel how do you set up a 3 variable ...

Auto Increment by 1 Letter
Simple question, hope I can get an answer.... Ok, I have created a table and form for our company to keep track of incoming inventory. Being that we work with metals, each piece that comes in is assigned a unique 3 letter value. We started with AAA. What I need to know is once I enter the item we are receiving is there a way for it to automatically go to the next sequence of letters. Example, yesterday we received in. The last series of letters I used was BHV. So today, when I receive in, I want the product to automatically be assigned BHW and then BHX and so on. Af...

how do I graph a linear equation?
I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create a data table and use the table of values to chart the line in excel. But I want just enter the equation in excel and have excel graph it. Thanks. On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Throstle <Throstle@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to graph the linear equation y = 2x + 4 in microsoft excel. How do I >do this? On my TI-83 Plus I could easily do this. I also know I could create >a data table and ...

using linear / non linear graphs to extract results
Hi, A frequent function of my job is to analyse data on graphs/charts to extract data for engineering data , i.e power / temperature/flowrates etc etc Is the a microsoft based programe i.e. Excel/Access that is capable of understanding data on a scaled X-Y axis that if an X value was entered in a cell, the programme would extract a corresponding Y value from a line on a graph ? If anyone has any woring examples of such a thing, I'd appreciate a link Thx Hi, If there is a linear relationship between X and Y use the function FORECAST It a power series is needed use LINEST - see examp...

Scroller Incrementation
Hello, I have the dynamic charting, now working the way I want it. But, I want the values to increment by 0.5 using the scroller. It doesn't seem to accept this, how can I do this. regards The scroller must be connected to some cell. Let's say this is A1. Then, in some empty cell, say B1, enter =A1*0.5. Use B1 wherever you were using A1. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <A49DF921-EBC3-495C-A0CE-20C7946872EC@microsoft.com>, unique@discussions.microsoft.com ...

Linear Regression
I have five numbers in: A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 Is there a function that will give me the linear regression of those numbers that can be put in D1, with charting etc? TIA Linear regression works with ordered pairs. row 1: 1,2,3,4,5 row 2: 2,4,6,8,<formula> formula in E2 : =FORECAST(E1,A2:D2,A1:D1) will return 10 Any use? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:XpidnXpInZMDMx7WnZ2dnUVZ8m1i4p2d@bt.com... > I have five numbers in: &...

Increment version and build automatically
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C76B0C.C2CBBC60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable All, Is there a way in VS.net 2005 to increment the version and build = automatically? Thanks in advance. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C76B0C.C2CBBC60 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D&qu...

Linear Equations
I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pair 1/2 y = 2x + My ordered pair x 0 1 y 2 6 10 see as follow Pairs x (0, 2 (1, 6 (2, 10 I am unable to graph this problem and need help!!! Just select the range containing the ordered pairs and Insert|Chart. Jerry Angela Mitchell wrote: > I am having difficulty graphing a linear equation in two variables by using three ordered pairs > > 1/2 y = 2x + 1 > > My ordered pairs > x 0 1 2 > y 2 6 10 see as follows > > Pairs: > x y > (0, 2) >...

How can a single cell be incremented? i.e. N=N+1
I am able to move a value of 1 to a cell with in a macro. I want to be able to add a value of 1 to a cell with in a macro. Each time the cell is referenced, I wish to increment the cell by 1. I have not been able to increment the cell without getting a circular reference in my attempts to incremetn the cell. The process I use is sorting a table and wanting to increment the top cell so that the least used entries will be sorted to the top each time the macro is called. what does your macro look like? "Remel" wrote: > I am able to move a value of 1 to a cell with in a m...

linear increments
Hi, I am kind of new to excel and was wondering if excel is capable of doing linear increments. I want increments that can vary, meaning in one case i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 2 and in other cases i want to go from 0 to 10 in increments of 5. The number of cells change. Is it possible for excel to do this w/o having to specify the number of cells needed? -- NewGuy100 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NewGuy100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27935 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Graph two linear inequality equations
So the question is..... Any help or guidnace or direction to a web page from the gurus would be appreciated for getting it into excel so I can have a pretty graph. I can solve this with a stuby pencil and paper. Easy enough to get the X and Y coordinates. How do you put it into excel to graph? I looked online and find examples, but the more I look the more confused I get. 400j + 250X <= 20,000 (j=0 and x= 80) (j=50 and x =0) straight line 40j + 30X <= 2,160 (j= 0 x = 72) J = 54 X = 0) straight line j >= 0 x >=0 (0,72) X220 = 15,840 (54,0) X320 = 17,280 An electronics ...

Start Detail Line Counter at 2, but increment each line by 1
I have a report that I need to list the detail records with a numbering sequence starting at number 2, but incrementing only by 1. Can this be done using the controlsource property of the text box used to display the number? Create a text box to display the counter, and in the control source of this box write =IIf([CurrentRecord]=1,2,1) So if the current record will be the first one it will start with two, other wise it will add 1. The text box RunningSum Property change it to "Over All" -- Good Luck BS"D "Crossh" wrote: > I have a report that I need to...

How do I set my X axis to include equal increments of a day?
I have data that is encompases less than 2 days but there are many points of reference during the day. I am set for the Y axis but I can only get the X axis to take the direct data and spread it throughout the day (showing equal intervals between the data points rather than through the time points). I would like to break up the day at intervals of 5 or 10 minutes and have the data points position themselves throughout the 5 or 10 minute tick marks: For example Y X X-axis tick Date July 14,2005 45 23:...

Linear Optimization
how can I optimize with integer variables? Assuming you are using Solver, add a constraint that specifies the variables to be 'Int' (w/o the quotes). -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <E214DF54-5098-41E1-9DD9-74DD53017D30@microsoft.com>, FaranakNegahdar@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can I optimize with integer variables? > ...

forced linear regression
Hello, I have a dataset with a (straight) line fit to it (with regression value and everything). My question is how do I take line with a different slope and force fit it to my data and optimise this new fit (i.e. get a new, obviously smaller, regression value that's a maximum for the forced slope with my data)? It's sort of the opposite of forcing a line through zero, I think. Anyway, is it possible, and if so where do I go to find out how to do it? I think you have to do it the old fashioned way. Attached is a example. If you don't have 'Solver...' on y...

Formula for Monthly Increments
Does anyone know of a formula to return accurate monthly increments for amortization purposes? For example if the start of a loan is 8/1/03, I want the next row to output 9/1/03 and the next row to output 10/1/03, etc. The problem I am having is with the various months with a different amount of days in them. With 8/1/03 in A1, enter the following in A2: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,DAY(A1)) The only "problems" that will occur happen when your start date is on the 29, 30, or 31, which some months do not have. -- HTH, Laura Cook Appleton, WI "Reagan Fruth" <rfruth@...

Linear Line
Firstly, apologies as this will appear twice. I sent it via Google and they said it'll be 3-8 hours before posted, now if I had 3-8 hours that'd be useful! My question: I have 8 sets of x,y coordinates, is there a function that can tell me if all points are linear (i.e. form a straight line). Thanks in advance Mike Do your own google searches with Ron's add in http://www.rondebruin.nl/ -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software Granite Shoals, TX donaldb@281.com "Mike" <mrskowse@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vhvm1693cg7400@corp.supernews.com... > First...

How would I implement this cell increment?
I have a reference to another sheet and I need to copy the reference like this: sheet 2 A B 1 ='sheet1'B1 ='sheet1'B2 2 ='sheet1'E1 ='sheet1'E2 if I try to copy/paste or fill I get b1, b2, b3 going down which I don't want - I know I can do this manually but I have about 100 rows each approx 10 columns to fill like this. Put this in Sheet2 A1 and copy across as far as needed then copy down -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Kia" <Kia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D00D059C-24C5-4315-AFDB-1AAF...

linear interpolation
Hi, I have a set of data that has monthly (or sometimes biweekly) measurements. However, I need to interpolate the daily values using the actual consecutive data. However, I do not want to put a best-fit line or curve through the data for the whole year. I want the program to pick between two consecutive values, and depending on their relationship (linear increase or decrease), fill in the gaps between them and spit out the corresponding values. For example, I have the following set, Date Value Jan. 10 0 Jan. 15 5 what I need is this: Date Value Jan. 10 0 Ja...

X Axis Linear Representation Problem
I have a project involving a hiking trail where I am trying to capture altitude on Y axis versus mile marker location on X axis. I can enter the data in adjoining columns and use the chart wizard but each mile marker value gets positioned along the X axis in uniform increments rather than an actual linear scale representation. In other words, mile markers 3.3 and the next mile marker (3.8) are the same distance apart on the X axis in the graphic representation as is marker 3.8 and the next one (12.5). This distorts the graphic representation of the actual linear distance between the...

SQL/MS Access Database : Update record with incremental view count.
Greetings, Even though Im working with JSP I connect to an MS Access Database, I want to select a record and then after the select Update the field 'ViewCount' by incrementing it by ONE each time the same record is retrieved via the SELECT * TABLE statement. To clarify I've done an example below, would this work? UPDATE TABLE SET = VIEWCOUNT = VIEWCOUNT + 1 WHERE ID = FORM.ID Hope this makes sense Rob W yah looks great but you need to do this instead UPDATE TABLE SET VIEWCOUNT =3D VIEWCOUNT + 1 WHERE ID =3D FORM.ID I think that you had one too many equal signs in t...

Series of dates, increment 1 month
Given a date in a cell named CurrentDate, I'd like to generate a series of dates, each 1 month later than the previous date.. If I use =DATE(YEAR(CurrentDate), MONTH(CurrentDate)+ROW()-2, DAY(CurrentDate)) And the start date is, say, 31 Oct 2007, then the dates get messed up for months with less than 31 daze. I was wondering whether any Excel date functions handle month increments better than the above. Otherwise, I'll write a VBA function to do this. Howard Is this what you want? =IF(B1=EOMONTH(B1,0),EOMONTH(B1,1),B1+MONTH(B1)+1) Regards Peter "Howard Kaikow" wrot...

incrementally find a file
Hi, Can someone show me how to incrementally find a file in a project inside the Visual Studio? That is, while you type the part of a file name, VS shows all the files that currently match the part you are typing. You can select one from the list of files whenever you spot the one interesting you. Please help. Thanks. Tony ...

Linear Fitting
Hello I have a 512*256 data file. What I want to be able to do is create a new matrix by doing the following First, I want to calculate the linear fit equation for each row (the equation is different for each row). Then, I want to replace every value in that row with the value stored there minus the linear fit equation, where x is just the index number for the row. I want to be able to do this for all 512 rows, ultimately creating a whole new data set Let me just provide you with an example so it's clear what I am asking. So in my data file there are 256 numbers in the first row. T...