Line break in cell, char(10) square settings?

HI all!

I have a problem regarding the char(10) square that appears when you press

"alt enter" to get a line break in a cell. (When using Wrap text)

When I use a cell reference to a cell with a line break the Char(10) square
appears in some of my excel xp or excel 2003 installations but not all of
them.

I have tried to find some settings for this but I have not.

I need the squere to get the line break back when I send the information to
a database and back

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fredrik

0
fredrik1 (2)
10/14/2003 8:51:46 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

   Format|Cells|Alignment|Wrap text

The square is what char(10) looks like when Excel is not configured to
allow text to wrap.

Jerry

Fredrik Jansson wrote:

> HI all!
>

> I have a problem regarding the char(10) square that appears when you press
>
> "alt enter" to get a line break in a cell. (When using Wrap text)
>

> When I use a cell reference to a cell with a line break the Char(10) square
> appears in some of my excel xp or excel 2003 installations but not all of
> them.
>

> I have tried to find some settings for this but I have not.
>

> I need the squere to get the line break back when I send the information to
> a database and back
>

> Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Fredrik

0
post_a_reply (1395)
10/14/2003 11:15:57 AM
Thank you for the help, but

Independently if I use wrap text or not I can't see the "square" in some
installations.

If i write  =CHAR(10) in a cell in one installation I get the "squere" but
in a other I cant se it no matter if I have wrap text or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again /Fredrik

"Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
>    Format|Cells|Alignment|Wrap text
>
> The square is what char(10) looks like when Excel is not configured to
> allow text to wrap.
>
> Jerry

0
fredrik1 (2)
10/14/2003 12:06:46 PM
What are the differences between the machines that show the square and those
that don't?  E.g. Are they using different printers / are they using
different input locales / keyboard layouts?  Have you tried this in Windows
Safe Mode?  How about Application Safe Mode (Hold Ctrl while starting XL)?
Is this specific to some workbooks?

/i.

"Fredrik Jansson" <fredrik@infoweaver.se> wrote in message
> Thank you for the help, but
>
> Independently if I use wrap text or not I can't see the "square" in some
> installations.
>

> If i write  =CHAR(10) in a cell in one installation I get the "squere" but
> in a other I cant se it no matter if I have wrap text or not.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks again /Fredrik
>
> "Jerry W. Lewis" <post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote in message
> >    Format|Cells|Alignment|Wrap text
> >
> > The square is what char(10) looks like when Excel is not configured to
> > allow text to wrap.
> >
> > Jerry

0
v_3ismit (29)

Converting Excel table with multi-line cells into Access DB
Hello ~ I need to export a MSWord table to an Access table. The original Word table contains multiple lines of text in each cell, separated with carriage-return(line return). .. I would like to retain these multiple lines within in each destination field in Access or Excel I have the following structure in my Word table: Column1: PhotoID (alphanumeric,single line) Column2: Image of the photos(jpeg/bmp) Column3: Description(text, multiline) Column4: Code#(alphanumeric, single line) Column5: Notes(text, multiline) In short, how do you tranfer those multi-line cells(with carriage-return...

Line Spacing and Line Justification
I am a Publisher novice. On a blank page I pasted a PowerPoint Presentation slide. Below the slide I drew a line and copied that same line multiple times. How do I make the spacing between theses lines of equal ditance? How do I align these lines so that they are basically at the same starting point on the left side of the page? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Regards, Mercury The best way would be to create guidelines. Select your created line, while holding the ctrl, (the cursor will turn into a + sign) pull the copy to the next guideline. If you go the copy route, ...

Preventing entry in more than one cell in a range
Again, I need some expert assistance. We have a range of 12 users in columns and in the rows below times in 15 minute intervals starting at 08:00 and ending at 17:00. If User 1 inputs "yes" against 08:00, on other User should be able to input against the time of 08:00. Any suggestions welcomed! See Chip Pearson's NoDupEntry site. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.aspx Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:11:01 -0700, Charles <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Again, I need some expert assistance. > >We have a range of 12 us...

must fill in a cell before going to next cell.
In Excel 2003, I need to be able to do the following: Fix the spreadsheet so you MUST complete a particular cell before going on to the rest of the fill-in cells. This application is a bid sheet, so certain cells add up to a total. Hi Could you use data validation ? data validation allow custom with formula =a1>0 then on error alert tab type you must enter data in cell a1 first changing a1 to you cell Tina "Huggin' Granny" wrote: > In Excel 2003, I need to be able to do the following: > Fix the spreadsheet so you MUST complete a particular cell before going on >...

Conditional formating 02-26-10
I would like to fill different color based on the value of letter and number in a cell. For example if I type in letter S and any number after letter S I want to have different color. If I type in letters OP and any number after OP I want to see different color. I have more than three conditions to place. I am using Excel 2003. This cannot be done with CF. You would need VBA. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:54:01 -0800, Kimti <Kimti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to fill different color based on the value of letter and number...

Skipping a line by condition
Thanks for reading this. I have a report that is grouped by [positiontitle] in a two column report. It prints out ok. The thing is what I want it to do is when a new [positiontitle] comes up I want it to skip a line in the report. For example: Worker George Fred Non Worker Bill Tom The way it comes up now is: Worker George Tom Non Worker Bill Tom The [positiontitle] is located in the header of the report. Thanks for your help. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/2...

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

Windows Mail Problem 01-25-10
All of a sudden, all my email I receive or have saved appears as an attachment in a blank email (ATTXXXX.htm) instead of displaying correctly in the body of the email? Any ideas? Close WinMail and delete your TIFs in Internet Explorer. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Dragontooth" <Dragontooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4DC91EA-6A32-4773-9012-72EE2790F7BE@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden, all my email I receive or have saved appears as an > attachment in a blank email (ATTXXXX.htm) ins...

macro to find out the last cell in a range
i have a column which has a total in the end but the number of rows i that column varies. I want a macro that gives me the total in a cell specify in the same worksheet please help! thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You don't need vba for this. Just use INDIRECT where 16 is in cell g1 to sum d1:d16 =SUM(INDIRECT("D1:D"&G1)) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "vikram >" <<vikram.15hms6@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:vikram.15hms6@excelforum-nospam.com... > i have a column which has a total in the...

Line colors in a bargraph
ColorNum and m_Array are set before entry which works fine except for all bars are outlined in black which is not a major problem, but would like to eliminate. How do I draw the line in the code below a different color than the bars? Below is a snip from my BarChart() routine: CBrush BlackBrush(RGB(10,10,10)); CBrush CyanBrush(RGB(1,39,229)); CBrush MagentaBrush(RGB(176,4,174)); CBrush YellowBrush(RGB(187,176,3)); CBrush GrayBrush(RGB(230,230,230)); if (m_Array.GetSize()) { // ***** THE PROBLEM IS HERE WHERE I WOULD LIKE THE DRAWN LINE TO BE LIGHT GRAY ***** MemDC.Sele...

RE: Special cell formatting problem!
As a short solution, would this work? 1) Add a column on your 1st worksheet that adds '', by using a formula (for example, the formula in cell B2 would be ="'"&A2&"'". 2) Then have your macro copy and Paste Special Values from the new column. Otherwise, I think you'd have to modify your macro to loop through each cell in the range and add the '', which would be a little more work. Let me know if this helps. Joe EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com jbutler: > As a short solution, would...

Blinking/Flashing Cells
Is there a way within Excel to make a Cell "Blink" or "Flash" on an off? Thanks for any help -- maacmaa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maacmaac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=295 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49132 If you look in the archives: http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=*excel* you'll find several ways. However, IMO, it's unprofessional and a really annoying thing to do. NOTE also that blinking cells...

GearWrench 81201 Four-Piece 3/8-Inch Drive Wobble Extension Set
Price:$47.09 Image: http:///image.php?id=B000NI93AW Best deal: http:///index.php?id=B000NI93AW When I got the extensions one had a manufacture defect. The male end of the 10" extension was dented before it was chrome plated and the ball was stuck in place, wich made the tool useless. I called Gear wrench and the shipped me a new one no questions asked to my door in 3 days. Item #: KDT81201. Features & BenefitsUnique dual position drive extensions provide the ability to use as either a standard extension when fully inserted into the socket or as a wobble extension when partially...

Please help me .... (CListCtrl multi-line column)
Dear all, I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data displayed in the control contains multiple lines. By default, the control displays the multiple-line text in a single line. In the multiple-line text, it uses "\r\n" (CR-LF). How can I set the column of CListCtrl to display the column text in multiple line like the data cell in Excel? -- Kathy This is the nearest i can find. Hope it helps http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/lists,treesandcombos/article.php/c2291/ "Kathy" wrote: > Dear all, > > I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data di...

OWA - Hangs "Loading" Inbox
2 of our OWA servers have recently stopped functioning. The login appears ok and the interface starts to load, but the fonts are wrong (times new roman is shown) and the inbox doesn't load at all, showing "Loading..." I've searched the forums/web and can see many people had the same issue, but have found no fixes that work. "Error on Page" Line: 56 Char: 1 Error: Object expected. Any suggestions or help really will be gratefully received. Thanks I had this same issue except one of my owa boxes would work and the other one didn't. I don't have a KB ar...

Line chart with value on the line
Hi, I have implement a line chart by thousands of data rows for a stock. Now I want to show values on 10 particular points with the lable E.g, one extra column for displaying the label. TradeDate Ticker Close Label 04/01/1999 1234 63.67 05/01/1999 1234 63 06/01/1999 1234 63 Mr. A buy 07/01/1999 1234 67.33 08/01/1999 1234 68.33 11/01/1999 1234 68.67 Mr. B buy Does anyone teach me how to do this ?? thanks Ginola "Ginola" <ginola@fake.email.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fdc1aa6.8209734@msnews.microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have implement a line chart b...

setting events on a component
Hello, In VC 6.0. How can I make an event for an existing component (i.e for push button component). Thanks :) I've already found the solution. Thanks, anyway... ...

Formula showing in cell as text
This is a new one on me. After entering a formula, instead of seeing blank cell or the result of the formula in the cell, I'm seeing th text of the formula as I normally would see it displayed in the formul bar. I can't seem to get it to calculate or stop showing the formula a text in the cell. One additional odd thing, going to TOOLS>FORMULA AUDITING>EVALUAT FORMULA, everything looks normal, with two exceptions; one a statemen "The cell currently being evaluated contains a constant", is displaye in the dialog box and all but the CLOSE button are grayed out. What I ha...

removing black lines
Sometimes I type an underline bar across the page. At the end of the page I'll hit the return (enter) key. When I do, the underline bar turns into a big black bar. Then I can't get rid of it. It just stays there. How can I get rid of this black bar? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> &...

want to filter out emails, with subjest line starting with a specfic sring
Hi All, I am using MS outlook 2003, I am trying to find out how can i create a rule to filter out emails with subject line starting with a specific string, but not to filter if that string is in the middle of subject line. i.e. lets take the sting as Foo Filer if Foo is in the starting don't filter if if the Foo is not in the starting. if any of you aware of the trick to make this happen please let me know, i tried to google it, but couldn't find anything related to it. Thanks Anand outlook doesn't offer anyway to build that sort of rule. If you can coun...

Search Macro with Cell text colour replacement
This is a similar question to one posted by tobiasescalante. Thanks to Frank Kabel for his original reply to my email Ok- here's the question. I have a single sheet excel file and I want to search through column G for number of key words - e.g. open, closed, assigned, submitted, duplicate etc et For each occurence of "opened" I want to change the text on th corresponding cell in Column E to Red. For each occurrence of "closed I want to change column E cell text to Green, etc, etc. I can't use Conditional Formatting as I have more than 3 options Any help much appreciate...

Record Selectors & Navigation Buttons: Set BackColor?
Anybody know how to coerce the colors of a form's RecordSelectors section and NavigationButtons? I'm guessing there's an API call somewhere, but don't have a clue beyond that. -- PeteCresswell "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote in message news:mlqgr318v13atugcricjmnhbd7fhq4i1qa@4ax.com... > Anybody know how to coerce the colors of a form's RecordSelectors > section and NavigationButtons? > > I'm guessing there's an API call somewhere, but don't have a clue > beyond that. You can replace the standard navigation buttons with...

Line graph question
How do I get my date axes (the horizontal axes) to start at zero followed by the first day of the month. -- WH99 Hi, If your dates are entered in the spreadsheet as dates then you may have problems - Excel stores dates as numbers so today is 39594 and 0 would be January 0, 1900. This would tend to spread the x-axis out quite a ways. If your dates are not entered as dates then make the first entry 0,0 - that is put another entry in the data area whose date value is 0 and whose value is 0. There are potential problems with this approach - each entry will be spaced equidistant apart ...

reading line by line
Dear all, I have a big problem, but I don't known how excel can solve it. I have a sheet with like it: process process_line status values_USD 0255155 10 44 10 0255155 20 44 20 0255156 10 33 11 0255156 20 44 21 0256157 10 33 12 0256157 20 33 22 0256157 30 33 23 0256158 10 ...

cell pattern displays but will not print #2
Hello, I am trying to format a spreadsheet using colors and patterns. The colors come out fine, but when I add a pattern to the color it only prints the color without the pattern. When I check print pre-view, the pattern is displayed. Can anyone help out here please? Thank you -- Patty Northern New England Please post only once. Changes to fill color and fill pattern are not displayed in Office programs http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Sear...