Limit pivot functionality

Hi all,  I am trying to achieve the following but am not sure if this
is possible:
1) Retain pivot functionality without allowing users to access the
underlying data
2) Retain pivot functionality without enabling users to amend the
pivot table so that it is effectively just a list of the underlying
transactional data

I can sort of achieve (1)  by changing the 'Enable Show Details'
property, but users can simply turn this back on.  The option to re-
enable show details can be disabled if the .PivotCache.EnableRefresh
is set to false, but this means the pivot functionality is removed.
I can hide the underlying data OK.

The only functionality I want to retain is for the user to be able to
re-pivot using the fields already in the pivot table, and not be able
to add any more fields.

Does anyone know if this is even possible?
Many thanks,  J.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

File Size Limit??
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the file size of an Excel 2000 document. We've got a guy here who has a 63Mb spreadsheet, and keeps wondering why he's getting "Out of memory" messages every time he opens it. I've put an extra 512Mb in his PC, but he's still getting lock-ups. He's convinced that there are no limits to the size of the file, but I'm pretty certain that there is... Anyone help? Thanks, Jon. The limit is memory. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Pivot table error when Opening an Xml Spreadsheet from MS excel Xp
Hi, I have saved an excel file as an xml file that has a pivot table. When i open the same xml spreadsheet again in excel and click on the pivot table, it gives me the error as below. "This pivot table report is not valid" But it works when i refresh data for the pivot table. Hence, I have to refresh the data every time i open the xml spreadsheet to make the pivot table working. Is there any way to make the pivot table working without refreshing the data? Please advise a forum to which i can submit the above question. Thanks and Regards, Jagadeesan ...

Attaching a particular user defined function to cust button
Hello All Quick question can I attach a user defined function from Personal workbook to a customized button, I know I can right mouse click the button and assign macro but the list does not include functions. Probably doing something v wrong help would be much appreciated TIA Ajay Ajay, Why are you using a function? Functions return a result to the caller, so even if you could assign it, no-one would see the answer. A button is better served to run a routine (macro, sub) that does things, like colour cells, etc. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "...

Custom Date Partition Function
I need to create a custom date partition function so I can run counts between the dates the user sets and the number of segments someone sets. Think of it as a the partition function except with dates. Below is a break down of things conceptually and then a rough outline on some VBA that tries to do this stuff………..any help on getting the function to work would be greatly appreciated. ************************************************************* Manual Example ************************************************************* **************** Start Date: 1/1/2009 End Date: 2/1/200...

Pivot tables...including hidden items
Dear All, I cannot even get the "include hidden items in total" box to activate. I select an item from the drop down list and deselect it, and naturally my grand total changes. I look to click on the include hidden items icon but it is not available. Any idea why? Thanks, Danny ...

Limits
I am doing a fairly easy programme on excel. It is a catchment runoff, and evaporation calculator. But i would like to place a limit on a cell, and have that exess go into another column, is this possible? EG 75 rainfall, soil can hold only 10mm more. SO 10mm INFILTRATES, ie that cell should have a limit of the max soil moisutre, the other 65mm RUNOFF's and thats a different column. ANYBODY PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!! lol You need a Workbook_Change event macro for that. The code you would write in that macro should first check that the change occurred in a cell within the range you want. ...

Pivot Table From Different Sources #2
Hi All, I am trying to build a new pivot table from two sources, one of them is an existing pivot table which has an external link to Oracle db, the other source is a normal spreadsheet, unfortunately, it's not working. Any one has an idea? appreciate your help. -- Excel Power User ...

Is overriding a function of a library in accordance with C++ standard?
Is overriding a function of a library in accordance with C++ standard? The following code is passed by the VS 2005 and Dev C++. #include <cstdlib> #include <iostream> using namespace std; size_t strlen(const char* p) { return 0; } // !!! Note this !!! The standard library function strlen is deliberately overriden. int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { system("PAUSE"); return EXIT_SUCCESS; } There is even no warning after compiling the code. In front of the fact, I have to make a guess that all the C++ compilers are conformed to the following rules: 1) Th...

2008 R2 dpm 2007 setup: SIS-Limited not found?
I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. Any ideas what i need to do to get past this? Thanks It turns out you just need to add the file services role in r2, dont need the manual command.. "markm75g" wrote: > I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via > ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart > > but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. ...

Help! IF function is too limited
Hi! I've created a drop-down list of cities in a cell, under which there are two more cells to be filled out with the address and zip codes corresponding to each of the cities. How can I do this, knowing that the original list is a three-column list made of city-address-zip? -- Ringo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ringo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470178 Use VLOOKUP into the original; list using the DV value =VLOOKUP(B...

Color formatting pivot bar chart
I have a bar chart that shows the top 5 40 segments broken down by each teritory. It graphs good, but I need to color code the segments into their groups. So 1-5 may be one group, 6-13 will be another. When I color code all turn the same color. I would like to conditional format on the worksheet. Can that transfer to the chart? How do I manually make the segments change. Each territory will not have the same top 5 segments, thus using pivot to help with this task. The top 5 are from a generated report. I could bring all 40 but will still want to graph top 5. Thanks. Hi, It i...

Q: Rules limit
There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298) Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? For me already three users have addressed with such requests :- Thanks Alexander Kenin This is not a configurable limit. It's limited by the size of one RPC packet. "Kenin Alexander" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80981636-20EB-4C64-B514-F9BCA635AFE7@microsoft.com... > There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298). > Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? > For me already thre...

Pivot Table Madness
Geesh. I can't seem to get this... I have this table not reliably sorted: Job Number Employee Week1 Week2 Week3 0001 Fred 4 4 4 0001 Barney 8 8 8 0002 Wilma 4 4 4 0003 Betty 4 4 4 0001 BamBam 8 8 8 And I need this: Job Number Employee Week1 Week2 Week3 0001 Fred 4 4 4 Barney 8 8 8 BamBam 8 8 8 Total 20 20 20 0002 Wilma 4 4 4 Total 4 4 4 0003 Betty 4 4 4 Total 4 4 4 Basically I need my table grouped by job number thensorted by employee showing the hours assigned per week. Is this a job for pivot tables? How? thanks, -mjm If your data looked more lik...

array function!
For each shipset I would like excel to add up all the several damag types. The damage types are all in 1 cell: "2D" should give the value 2 (in a cell) for Shipset 001. This count for every Shipset and "7" or "4" are also damage types. Can someon help me! Shipset Damage 001 2A, 2B, 2D, 3C 001 1A 001 2D 001 7 001 4 002 1A 002 7 003 2A, 2C, 2D 003 2D 003 3C 003 #N/A 003 1A So it must be some kind of an array sum-function searching throug textstrings.... Help ----------------...

Limiting Internet Email for Users
I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop Internet Email. This might help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14B7AF2C-73E3-4601-84F9-3F7B95043B72@microsoft.com... > I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop...

Limit outgoing mail limit before send
Hi all Is there any method to avoid to send mail if the mail size is over a preset limit? If I set it in Exchange, the mail will first send to Exchange server and check the size. Any method to check the size before send to server? I got this problem since the connection speed is slow, not like local 100m network. Exchange server and the client Outlook XP PC is far away, connect with a 64K line only. Thanks ...

Addressee limit
How do you check/change the Exchange Server message addressee(To, Cc)limit? When sending messages to servaral recipients, some names are cut out. Thanks. ...

pivot table limitation
Hi, when i tried to generate an excel report. It gives me an error message "Microsoft Excel: Microsoft Excel cannot make this change because there are too many row or column items. Drag at least one row or column field off the PivotTable report, or to the page position. Alternatively, right-click a field, and then click Hide or Hide Levels on the shortcut menu. Error in generating report. Please contact Administrator!" What can i do with this message? Is this the data volumne limitation for pivot table? Thanks for your help You have hit one of Excel's limitations. For pivot tab...

mailbox limit notifications
How can I force on Ecxhange server that notifications of mailbox limit are always sent on english language, not taking care of users language settings in Outlook? If the language setting on the server is set to English, then the notification should be English (per http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;277856) If that is not the case, you may want to verify that you are running the latest service pack for the OS and Exchange as well as the latest updates. Doug Blanchard [MSFT] Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup p...

PST File Size Limitation
I am unable to open my PST file. I have run the Inbox repair tool. This is the second time this has happened. In an Outlook 2000 and W2K Internet Only Mail envirmonment, is there a file size limitation for PST files? On two separate occasions, the files have either become corrupted or have not responded around the 2GB file size. If there is a limitation? Could this be the reason? Are there any means of extending that limit and restoring my PST files? yes. pst files do have size limitations. large table support not enabled (default for outlook 97 - 2000) * 16000 items per fold...

Excel Pivot Tables
I am working on an assignment where we have to use pivot tables. The question I have to answer is "Are their any times of day when purchases are most common? Do people buy product while at work or at home. I have spreadsheet with the following columns; CUST ID, REGION, PAYMENT, SOURCE, AMOUNT, PRODUCT, and TIME OF DAY. I am trying to set up a pivot table so that only the purchases made from 0800 - 1700 hours are displayed and counted for each region and then for all those outside of theat time frame. I have the basic understanding of how to set up a simple pivot table, but I ca...

Storage limit #2
I'm a new Exchange Server user. From a document of Microsoft I found that Exchange Server standard edition with SP2 "storage limits have increased to 75 gigabytes (GB)" What does it mean? Does it mean that all storage (mailboxes and public folders) added together cannot exceed 75GB? If one day the total storage exceed 75GB, what will happen? Ming Choi wrote: > I'm a new Exchange Server user. From a document of Microsoft I found that > Exchange Server standard edition with SP2 "storage limits have increased to > 75 gigabytes (GB)" What does it me...

Accumulating Values in a Pivot table
Hi all. Does anybody of you know, how I can show in a Pivot table accumulated values (example)in each row: Day Amount Accum. Value 1 50 50 3 75 125 8 105 230 .. .. .. .. .. .. and so on. Maybe someone give me a tip. Thanx a lot Regards Kurt Hi Kurt, That is one of the big advantages of using Pivot Tables One place to start would be Debra Dalgleish's Contextures.com/techtip.html http://www.contex...

Date/Time issue with Pivot Table
Hello. I have column of data that is both date and time. However when I create the pivot table I only want it to summarize the date. I've formatted both the source and the pivot table to display on the date but formatting doesn't affect the underlying data so if a date has three different times, then the pivot table has three different entries for a given date. I can (and have) parsed out the serial number to remove the time portion but that gets a bit time consuming and this comes up frequently in different spreadsheets. I'm wondering if there's away to ...

Limit values in combo box
I have a form frmEst with a subform sfrMat. On sfrMat are two combo boxes, cboCat to choose a Category and cboPartNo to choose a Part Number. I want to limit the choices in cboPartNo to only those parts that are members of the Category chosen in cboCat. I'm really struggling with the code to make this work. Help, please. Ivor This is a common question. Check out this website for details: http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm HTH Damon "Ivor Williams" <ivorwilliams@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:mFH1i.179150$DE1.12092@pd7urf2no... >I have a form frmEs...