Limit number of characters in a cell

Hi,

Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into a
cell.

I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't
want them to be more than 35 characters.

Thanks for the help

Dr. Senji

0
someone913 (592)
5/16/2005 11:46:42 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Take a look at Data|Validation.

You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a
too-long string.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dr. Senji

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Take a look at Data|Validation.
>
> You can have excel yell at the user when they hit enter after typing in a
> too-long string.
>
> Dr Senji wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to limit the number of characters that a user can key into
>> cell.
>>
>> I want to get a list of names and addresses imputted by user, but I don't
>> want them to be more than 35 characters.
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>>
>> Dr. Senji
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
someone913 (592)

Credit Card Number on Receipt
Hi, I have replaced the default credit card tendering window with my own hook in. After the transaction is cleared it prints a receipt but it will not print the masked credit card number on the receipt that I have swiped on my application. HI, Make sure you are updating the correct fields data in your application, second check the TenderEntry table and verified that credit card number is saved there. you need to use the SQL Query tool from administrator program for this. If the above information is verified now check the receipt.xml file and find the credit card printing call procedur...

File Size Limit??
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the file size of an Excel 2000 document. We've got a guy here who has a 63Mb spreadsheet, and keeps wondering why he's getting "Out of memory" messages every time he opens it. I've put an extra 512Mb in his PC, but he's still getting lock-ups. He's convinced that there are no limits to the size of the file, but I'm pretty certain that there is... Anyone help? Thanks, Jon. The limit is memory. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Total Number of Hours
I have a tracking sheet and I entered the total number of hours spent on a project and then when I want the sume the total is 6.65 instead of 7.05 for 7 hours and 5 minutes. How do I fix this? The way I entered the time is 0.35 for 35 minutes. Do I need to enter the times a different way? If you are in a place that use : as a time delimiter then you need to enter it like hh:mm 35 minutes should be entered as 0:35 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "celeste" <celeste@discussions.micros...

Limits
I am doing a fairly easy programme on excel. It is a catchment runoff, and evaporation calculator. But i would like to place a limit on a cell, and have that exess go into another column, is this possible? EG 75 rainfall, soil can hold only 10mm more. SO 10mm INFILTRATES, ie that cell should have a limit of the max soil moisutre, the other 65mm RUNOFF's and thats a different column. ANYBODY PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!! lol You need a Workbook_Change event macro for that. The code you would write in that macro should first check that the change occurred in a cell within the range you want. ...

How to insert small colored dots or rectangles in cells of excel
I am trying to insert colored dots or rectangles in cells of excel. How to do this? -- George You could select the cell and then Insert|Symbol and select Webdings or Wingdings etc. and then format the cell font color to whatever you want. "George A. Yorks" wrote: > I am trying to insert colored dots or rectangles in cells of excel. How to > do this? > -- > George ...

adding numbers #2
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I am storing hours. So 1h or 5h, etc... Is there a way I can select a bunch of cells. and add these numbers. Even though there is "h" in the cell? thanks SUM works just as well on time, just format the result cell as [h]:mm if it might exceed 24 hours. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message news:OvM5oBU1IHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello, > I have a spreadsheet where I am storing hours. > So 1h or 5h, etc... > I...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Help! IF function is too limited
Hi! I've created a drop-down list of cities in a cell, under which there are two more cells to be filled out with the address and zip codes corresponding to each of the cities. How can I do this, knowing that the original list is a three-column list made of city-address-zip? -- Ringo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ringo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470178 Use VLOOKUP into the original; list using the DV value =VLOOKUP(B...

2008 R2 dpm 2007 setup: SIS-Limited not found?
I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. Any ideas what i need to do to get past this? Thanks It turns out you just need to add the file services role in r2, dont need the manual command.. "markm75g" wrote: > I'm trying to run the command line to install the SIS component via > ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /quiet /norestart > > but it tells me it cant find this SIS-Limited component (on 2008 r2 x64).. ...

sequential numbers
I simply want to sequentially number rows in a column. However, some of the rows do not contain any data so do not need to be numbered. So there is in fact a blank. It´s also possible that i´d want to add another row, and auto update the number sequence. You cannot drag the auto numbering facility across cells that you want to remain empty of course, because they will be numbered. With your data in column A,: Formula in B1 :1 In B2: =IF(A2="",B1,B1+1) Fill down. Format B2: Format>Conditional Formatting Cell Value is, Equal to, B1 (remove the $signs if you clic...

Problem using Match on columns of numbers with leading zeroes formatted as text ???
In my test run, I was using a column of first names in workbook A to check and flag their presence in workbook B, The code given to me by Marcus here worked fine. No problem at all. .. When I switched to the real problem by replacing my columns of data with numbers with leading zeroes, the columns being already formatted as text, the program did not find Matches. .. In both workbooks columns of data, cells have an automatic Excel comment that says : "The number in this cell is formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe". .. What am I missing here ? Is there a spe...

Q: Rules limit
There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298) Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? For me already three users have addressed with such requests :- Thanks Alexander Kenin This is not a configurable limit. It's limited by the size of one RPC packet. "Kenin Alexander" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80981636-20EB-4C64-B514-F9BCA635AFE7@microsoft.com... > There is a limit for Exchange Rules on a 32K-size (KB147298). > Whether there is a way to change this limit for single users? > For me already thre...

GENERATE RANDOM NUMBERS BUT EXCLUDE A NUMBER IN THE SEQUENCE
I NEED TO GENERATE A RANDOM NUMBER BETWEEN 1-9 BUT NEED TO EXCLUDE WHATEVER IS IN THE CELL ABOVE IT. IF THE CELL ABOVE IT SAYS 8. I NEED TO GENERATE 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,OR 9. IM STUMPED? > I NEED TO GENERATE A RANDOM NUMBER BETWEEN 1-9 BUT NEED TO EXCLUDE > WHATEVER IS IN THE CELL ABOVE IT. IF THE CELL ABOVE IT SAYS 8. I NEED > TO GENERATE 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,OR 9. IM STUMPED? On way: In A2:A100, put =RANDBETWEEN(1,8) In B1, put =RANDBETWEEN(1,9) In B2, put =A2+(A2>=B1) and copy down to B100 Use the values in column B. I might of explained it wrong. I want to use random(1,9) but...

Limiting Internet Email for Users
I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop Internet Email. This might help: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF009.html -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14B7AF2C-73E3-4601-84F9-3F7B95043B72@microsoft.com... > I want to stop users from sending Internet email from my Exchange 2000 server. I use it for a company wide mail server. Can anyone help me stop...

How to make excel understand to copy a Range of cells which has data in it
I have 2 excel files regarding daily values of two equities that I download from the internet on a regular basis. Each xls file has the following columns and rows for that particular equity. For eg. EquityA.xls will have : Symbol Date Open High Close Turnover A 01-jan-09 43.5 52 46 1496.53 A 02-jan-09 47 49 42 1322.44 A 03-j...

Finding the number of records in a query
Hi there! I want to restrict my users from running a query if there are records in a second query. The second query has 2 parameters based on forms, [Forms]![frmInvBusNums]![InventoryNum] and [Forms]![frmInvBusNums]![BusUnit] The code I'm trying to run, which is totally wrong looks something like this: Dim db As DAO.Database ' Dim rst As DAO.Recordset ' ' Set db = CurrentDb ' ' ' set rst=db.QueryDefs "Discrepancy_Report" ' If rst.RecordCount > 0 Then ' MsgBox "There are conflicts" ' Exit Sub ' ...

Convert Number to Word in Receipt
Hi all, How can i convert Transaction amount to Words in receipt XML file. Is any function like CurrencyToString there..? thanks in advance, CP.Dinesh VbCurrencyWords, this is one of the values of attribute 'type' of the SET element. Rob "C.P.Dinesh" wrote: > Hi all, > > How can i convert Transaction amount to Words in receipt XML file. > Is any function like CurrencyToString there..? > > thanks in advance, > > CP.Dinesh > > Thanks Rob. "Rob" wrote: > VbCurrencyWords, this is one of the values of attribute 'ty...

Moving from cell to cell
Up until about a week ago as I would be in a cell and wanted to move to the cell above, I'd simply click on the up arrow. To move to the right, click on the right arrow and so on. Now the same cell remains selected and the entire work sheet moves in the direction of the arrow. I have opened older document with the same result. Any ideas? Hi Chuck, Try turning the scroll lock off. --- Regards, Norman "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message news:%23e$cRy8mFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Up until about a week ago as I would be in a...

list numbers in a block of cells
Is there a way to list the values in a block of cells. 400 600 800 350 200 625 250 222 125 9958 226 123 Like: 400 600 800 350 200 625 250 222 125 9958 226 123 Assume source data in A1:C4 Put in say, E1: =OFFSET($A$1,INT((ROWS($1:1)-1)/3),MOD(ROWS($1:1)-1,3)) Copy E1 down to E12 -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote in message news:%23PyCLFqPIHA.5140@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to list the values in a block of cells. > > 400 600 800 > 350 200 6...

Limit outgoing mail limit before send
Hi all Is there any method to avoid to send mail if the mail size is over a preset limit? If I set it in Exchange, the mail will first send to Exchange server and check the size. Any method to check the size before send to server? I got this problem since the connection speed is slow, not like local 100m network. Exchange server and the client Outlook XP PC is far away, connect with a 64K line only. Thanks ...

Addressee limit
How do you check/change the Exchange Server message addressee(To, Cc)limit? When sending messages to servaral recipients, some names are cut out. Thanks. ...

locate referenced cells
I have a spread sheet that when opening gives the message that cells are referencing other work sheet cells. I am having trouble finding which cells has the reference. Is there a easy way to locate these cells? Jeff Download and use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:04:33 -0600, "Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote: >I have a spread sheet that when opening gives the message that cells are >referencing other work sheet cells. I am having trouble finding which cells ...

Duplicate Check Numbers #2
I unmark Duplicate Check Numbers option in Checkbook maintenance window. But system taking duplicate check numbers in different module. Example: I enter check number 123456 in payable module Manual payment if I enter same check number in Bank Transaction with same checkbook and check number system accepting. If I enter in same module, I am getting a warning message like check number already in use. Is it possible to get this warning message If I use same check number in different module. ...

Microsoft Exchange NDR about large number of attachments question
Hi, I am getting a message: "This message has been rejected by the Exchange organization to which it was sent, because the message contains either a large number of attachments or because there are too many nested attachments. To solve this problem, reduce the number of attachments or nested attachments, and resend the message. <myserver.x.x 5.6.3>" How can I change it so that I do not get this message? I am on the receiving side. I do not know how many attachments the message had, but I know it was not a tremendous amount. It is a daily message I used to receive on 2000 s...

Finding Number of days!!!
Can anyone help me!!! I need to find the Total Number of days from a particular date to current date. for example: 02-09-2003 to 22-09-2003 = 20 days. which would help in entering my data very easily. can anyone give me a formula or a solution for this. Thanks Karan. Hi Karan, Format B2 as Date. Put a pure date in B2. Format B3 as Number (Yes, NUMBER) Put the Formula '=Today()-B2' in B3 Warning: Because no times are entered, they default to 12:00 AM. Experiment with Short periods (eg - a date last week), and modify the formula to add or subtract 1 to meet your requirements. ...