Left Lookups across multiple data sheets

Hi,

         I used to consider myself a master of excel until I started
this project and now I am stumped and could really use some help. I
have a friend who needs me to create a spreadsheet that he can run his
whole business on but he doesnt have the funds to have a database
custom built. I am doing an inventory and customer tracking system not
so out of the ordinary I am sure. Anyway, I am designing it into 5
spreadsheets, warehouse, dispatch, payroll, recon, and reports and
invoicing. within the warehouse there is a master inventory sheet which
has all of the equipment that is in his warehouse. There is a worksheet
for each technician that gets equipment scanned out to him, that is
printable for each day of the week.
          The Inventory is categorized by serialized or non-serialized.
so here is the deal.

these are the tables

Model    Serial Number On account On Truck DOA

Below these columns is where the data will be scanned in. then the tech
page looks like this

Model Serial number.

I need a formula to put in the "On Truck" Field that will search
through all of the worksheets and find the serial number loation, and
then put the techs name in the "On Truck" Field.

I am trying to do a left lookup using the index and match functions,
Formula example:

=INDEX(DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92,1,MATCH(H8, DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92),-1,-1,1,1)

This formula will not work between multiple sheets though, and I am
getting very frustrating. Basically I just want the cell to find the
serial number listed in the inventory table in the worksheet and column
that it is scanned on return the techs name which is listed to the
left.

Is there a way to do this?

I have tried to be very informative in this post please let me know if
you need more information I am pulling my hair out.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming that the corresponding value in Column R is to be returned,
download and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll...

http://xcell05.free.fr/

....then try...

=INDEX(THREED('Sheet1:Sheet5'!R13:R92),MATCH(H8,THREED('Sheet1:Sheet5'!S1
3:S92),0))

Otherwise, let A2:A6 contain the sheet names, and then try the
following...

B2:

=INDEX(A2:A6,MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&A2:A6&"'!S13:S92"),H8)>0,0))

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER

C2:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!R13:R92"),MATCH(H8,INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!S13:S92")
,0))

....confirmed with just ENTER

Hope this helps!

In article <1160061667.664499.92180@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
 "johnb31337@gmail.com" <johnb31337@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>          I used to consider myself a master of excel until I started
> this project and now I am stumped and could really use some help. I
> have a friend who needs me to create a spreadsheet that he can run his
> whole business on but he doesnt have the funds to have a database
> custom built. I am doing an inventory and customer tracking system not
> so out of the ordinary I am sure. Anyway, I am designing it into 5
> spreadsheets, warehouse, dispatch, payroll, recon, and reports and
> invoicing. within the warehouse there is a master inventory sheet which
> has all of the equipment that is in his warehouse. There is a worksheet
> for each technician that gets equipment scanned out to him, that is
> printable for each day of the week.
>           The Inventory is categorized by serialized or non-serialized.
> so here is the deal.
>
> these are the tables
>
> Model    Serial Number On account On Truck DOA
>
> Below these columns is where the data will be scanned in. then the tech
> page looks like this
>
> Model Serial number.
>
> I need a formula to put in the "On Truck" Field that will search
> through all of the worksheets and find the serial number loation, and
> then put the techs name in the "On Truck" Field.
>
> I am trying to do a left lookup using the index and match functions,
> Formula example:
>
> =INDEX(DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92,1,MATCH(H8, DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92),-1,-1,1,1)
>
> This formula will not work between multiple sheets though, and I am
> getting very frustrating. Basically I just want the cell to find the
> serial number listed in the inventory table in the worksheet and column
> that it is scanned on return the techs name which is listed to the
> left.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> I have tried to be very informative in this post please let me know if
> you need more information I am pulling my hair out.
0
domenic22 (716)
10/5/2006 6:24:20 PM
Thank you , I will try this now, will post back the results.

On Oct 5, 1:24 pm, Domenic <domeni...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Assuming that the corresponding value in Column R is to be returned,
> download and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll...
>
> http://xcell05.free.fr/
>
> ...then try...
>
> =INDEX(THREED('Sheet1:Sheet5'!R13:R92),MATCH(H8,THREED('Sheet1:Sheet5'!S1
> 3:S92),0))
>
> Otherwise, let A2:A6 contain the sheet names, and then try the
> following...
>
> B2:
>
> =INDEX(A2:A6,MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&A2:A6&"'!S13:S92"),H8)>0,0))
>
> ...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER
>
> C2:
>
> =INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!R13:R92"),MATCH(H8,INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!S13:S92")
> ,0))
>
> ...confirmed with just ENTER
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> In article <1160061667.664499.92...@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  "johnb31...@gmail.com" <johnb31...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> >          I used to consider myself a master of excel until I started
> > this project and now I am stumped and could really use some help. I
> > have a friend who needs me to create a spreadsheet that he can run his
> > whole business on but he doesnt have the funds to have a database
> > custom built. I am doing an inventory and customer tracking system not
> > so out of the ordinary I am sure. Anyway, I am designing it into 5
> > spreadsheets, warehouse, dispatch, payroll, recon, and reports and
> > invoicing. within the warehouse there is a master inventory sheet which
> > has all of the equipment that is in his warehouse. There is a worksheet
> > for each technician that gets equipment scanned out to him, that is
> > printable for each day of the week.
> >           The Inventory is categorized by serialized or non-serialized.
> > so here is the deal.
>
> > these are the tables
>
> > Model    Serial Number On account On Truck DOA
>
> > Below these columns is where the data will be scanned in. then the tech
> > page looks like this
>
> > Model Serial number.
>
> > I need a formula to put in the "On Truck" Field that will search
> > through all of the worksheets and find the serial number loation, and
> > then put the techs name in the "On Truck" Field.
>
> > I am trying to do a left lookup using the index and match functions,
> > Formula example:
>
> > =INDEX(DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92,1,MATCH(H8, DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92),-1,-1,1,1)
>
> > This formula will not work between multiple sheets though, and I am
> > getting very frustrating. Basically I just want the cell to find the
> > serial number listed in the inventory table in the worksheet and column
> > that it is scanned on return the techs name which is listed to the
> > left.
>
> > Is there a way to do this?
>
> > I have tried to be very informative in this post please let me know if
> > you need more information I am pulling my hair out.

This one didnt work, It gave me an #NA error which is closer then I got
yet, but the indirect function receives all #REF errors, when you show
calculation steps. I didnt use the Morefunc because I need this to be
user friendly to all, and I dont think that all of the users should
have to go through getting the add on installed. So I tried the
inderect formula.

This is a very complicated lookup, but it seems to me that it would be
a very common one.

On Oct 5, 1:24 pm, Domenic <domeni...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Assuming that the corresponding value in Column R is to be returned,
> download and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll...
>
> http://xcell05.free.fr/
>
> ...then try...
>
> =INDEX(THREED('Sheet1:Sheet5'!R13:R92),MATCH(H8,THREED('Sheet1:Sheet5'!S1
> 3:S92),0))
>
> Otherwise, let A2:A6 contain the sheet names, and then try the
> following...
>
> B2:
>
> =INDEX(A2:A6,MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&A2:A6&"'!S13:S92"),H8)>0,0))
>
> ...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER
>
> C2:
>
> =INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!R13:R92"),MATCH(H8,INDIRECT("'"&B2&"'!S13:S92")
> ,0))
>
> ...confirmed with just ENTER
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> In article <1160061667.664499.92...@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  "johnb31...@gmail.com" <johnb31...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> >          I used to consider myself a master of excel until I started
> > this project and now I am stumped and could really use some help. I
> > have a friend who needs me to create a spreadsheet that he can run his
> > whole business on but he doesnt have the funds to have a database
> > custom built. I am doing an inventory and customer tracking system not
> > so out of the ordinary I am sure. Anyway, I am designing it into 5
> > spreadsheets, warehouse, dispatch, payroll, recon, and reports and
> > invoicing. within the warehouse there is a master inventory sheet which
> > has all of the equipment that is in his warehouse. There is a worksheet
> > for each technician that gets equipment scanned out to him, that is
> > printable for each day of the week.
> >           The Inventory is categorized by serialized or non-serialized.
> > so here is the deal.
>
> > these are the tables
>
> > Model    Serial Number On account On Truck DOA
>
> > Below these columns is where the data will be scanned in. then the tech
> > page looks like this
>
> > Model Serial number.
>
> > I need a formula to put in the "On Truck" Field that will search
> > through all of the worksheets and find the serial number loation, and
> > then put the techs name in the "On Truck" Field.
>
> > I am trying to do a left lookup using the index and match functions,
> > Formula example:
>
> > =INDEX(DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92,1,MATCH(H8, DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92),-1,-1,1,1)
>
> > This formula will not work between multiple sheets though, and I am
> > getting very frustrating. Basically I just want the cell to find the
> > serial number listed in the inventory table in the worksheet and column
> > that it is scanned on return the techs name which is listed to the
> > left.
>
> > Is there a way to do this?
>
> > I have tried to be very informative in this post please let me know if
> > you need more information I am pulling my hair out.

Did you confirm the formula for B2 with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER?  Also, with
regards to the add-in, the latest version allows the THREED function to
be embedded within the file.  So there's no need for others to install
it.

In article <1160080817.125944.160110@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,
> [...]

> > > Model Serial number.
> >
> > > I need a formula to put in the "On Truck" Field that will search
> > > through all of the worksheets and find the serial number loation, and
> > > then put the techs name in the "On Truck" Field.
> >
> > > I am trying to do a left lookup using the index and match functions,
> > > Formula example:
> >
> > > =INDEX(DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92,1,MATCH(H8, DUMB:DUMBY!S13:S92),-1,-1,1,1)
> >
> > > This formula will not work between multiple sheets though, and I am
> > > getting very frustrating. Basically I just want the cell to find the
> > > serial number listed in the inventory table in the worksheet and column
> > > that it is scanned on return the techs name which is listed to the
> > > left.
> >
> > > Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > > I have tried to be very informative in this post please let me know if
> > > you need more information I am pulling my hair out.

Removal of unused left panel menu items
I would like to remove from users view Quotes, Orders, Invoices, and Products. These are the buttons on the left side vertical buttons from the SALES screen. I do not wish to eliminate altogether and make them easily re-addable as this functionality is used by the org. I think it might be as easy as setting security but am looking for for options and input on implementation. Thanks in advance, Scott Scott, You can't eliminate the tabs from view (in any supported way), but you can stop the users from seeing anything on those tabs. Check out the Roles functionality. Just remove the ...

[newbie] multiple SDI to MDI
Hi, I'm an MFC beginer. I've written a small (non functionnal) app with multiple dialogs based on CDialog to see if I can build an interface this way. It works. Now, I wan to use a graphic library that uses MDI instead of SDI, so I would like to transform my CDialogs into something that can be automatically built, like a dialog, but not using MFC document/view. Is it possible ? Is it a bad idea ? I've looked at the MDI example in the samples, but it provides its own painting routine. FormView looks like what I need, but FormView is a View, and I don't want to use that. Adv...

Lookup Formula
I have an Excel sheet that shows hourly rates based on the number of hours a customer purchases. Example Column A Column B Column C (Hours)From: (Hours)To: Hourly Rate 1 40 $35 41 80 $32 81 120 $30 I have a seperate column under a different tab where a sales rep enters the total number of hours. I would like the formula to automatically lookup the chart above and show the appopriate hourly rate. Thanks, Donne Hi - best to ask the Excel gurus in an Excel n...

summing across worksheets
I have a workbook with 80 worksheets. I want to add column E12 thru column E50 across all worksheets, then total up those numbers. Any ideas if this is possible? Thanks, Todd try this. Best to set up a dummy 1st and last sheet so that if you add/delete sheets, OK =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet80!e12:e50) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Todd Hudson" <tatung70@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u3S75nH6JHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a workbook with 80 worksheets. I want to add column E12 thru column >E50 across all wo...

Display data every 30 minutes interval
Hi all, I have a database which is similiar to id Date Time 1 2009-08-31 16:00:21 2 2009-08-31 16:00:51 3 2009-08-31 16:01:21 4 2009-08-31 16:01:51 5 2009-08-31 16:02:21 6 2009-08-31 16:02:51 7 2009-08-31 16:03:21 8 2009-08-31 16:03:51 . . . . . . . . . . . . x 2009-08-31 16:30:21 and so on What sql statement should I write in order to display reco...

Printing Multiple Pages
How do I keep Excell from printing blank pages that are directly after my written page? Example, lets say had data on the second page but then deleted it, so there is only the first page of data remaning. When I go to print the document, and choose "all" in the print box, I get not only the first page but the blank second page as well. Is there some where I can change my settings to print only pages with data on them. Thank you Tony, Open your worksheet, choose View>Page Break Preview. The blue lines outline what is set to print. Just grab the lines and move them to o...

Multiple Pie charts #2
In a thread on 1/4/08 someone asked about how to do multiple pie charts in Excel (my version: excel 2002). There was a discussion of why one would not want to use multiple pie charts. I saw no advice on how to accomplish the task if one wanted to buck convention. Is there a way to do multiple pie charts in excel? Hi, Has a side by side version. http://www.andypope.info/charts/pies.htm For more than 2 charts you will need to use multiple chart objects. These can either be embedded on a work or chart sheet. Cheers Andy mytriumph wrote: > In a thread on 1/4/08 someone asked about ...

justify content of textbox "right to left" in access report
hi my english is not good. i hope that reply this message. i am creating access db and and i have textbox on report. i want to justify content of textbox "right to left". we language is arabic and we must writ right to left. for example(E D C B A) product in this category can not help me. "JustiDirect Version 4.0" & "Rich Text ActiveX" &... justify "left to right". i need to this manner: 987654321 987654321 321 no this one that products can: 123456789 123456789 123 ...

How can I fill data in a list automatically?
I have a spreadsheet laid out like a list with indented items. The first 7columns contain data pertaining to an individual, while the next 5 columns contain data about events occuring to that individual. The problem is that one individual may have several events, but the personal data is filled in only once, for the first event; the first 7 columns are simply left blank for subsequent events (these are all listed following each other). there are several thousand events in this list. How can I copy the personal data so that each row is complete, with all columns filled in? K, You'...

WBS in Data Analysis or Reports
Is there a way to get the WBS codes into a Data Analysis report? If not, what table/view is the 'WBS' ifield n the Database? This is so that I can create a SQL query to combine the WBS column into a report. Hi Bubba, Please look for TaskOutlineLevel and TaskOutlineNumber fields in MSP_EpmTask_UserView table. Thanks Chak pVector Technologies http://www.pvectortech.com http://www.epmcentral.com On Feb 2, 10:35=A0am, Bubba <Bu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to get the WBS codes into a Data Analysis report? > > If not, what tabl...

changing default lead lookup from email tracked in outlook client
When I click 'Track in CRM' and then 'Regarding' when composing an email in the Outlook Client, and then select Lead from the dropdown, all leads (including disqualified leads) appear in the selection list. How can I change this view to filter on Active Leads only? thanks Garnet This feature is not available in CRM v3. I have filed this as a suggestion for a future release. -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Garnet" <Garnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64E6C45E-428...

LEFT formula
Hello, Need some assistance on the following: =IF(LEFT(D103,10)=LEFT(E103,10),"1","") D103 is a link to a MS Project file cell containing a date and time - eg. "13/09/2010 11:00:00 AM". E103 is a date - eg. "13/09/2010". The above formula should produce "1" when the first 10 characters match. How ever it does not. Can any one see my error or offer a better formula to get the result I am after? Thanks for your help in advance. Ant. -- Cheers Ant. Try, =IF(LEFT(Text(D103,"dd/mm/yyyy"),10)=LEFT(TEXT(E103,&...

Converting Rows of Data to Columns
I have the following data, for example. Location # Vendor # 151 250368 151 312956 151 485648 103 251142 103 255442 My list has many, many locations. Anyone know an easy way to convert this list so there is one line per location, with columns B-D (for example) representing the vendor number. Here's an example of what I'm looking for. Location B C D 151 250368 312956 485648 103 2...

Multiple file problem
I have just transferred my old pst file to a new computer. What Outlook 2003 has done is make multiple Contact and Calendar files of each. Some have the original data in, but most are empty. I need to know how to get back to the one file of each. The OK files are in \\Personal Folders. The empty ones are in something like \\Personal Folders\Draft\Draft\Draft\ ......... There are probably 100 od the draft ones set up in the system, and they don't appear to be deleted when I do a manual delete. HELP PLEASE! Rod Rod <rodlg000@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have just transferred my o...

have multiple deliveries per sales order
we have a scenario of generating Purchase order based on a sales back order, the shipment from the vendor will be partially delivered and then we deliver the same partially to the customer (Delivery Note report with its unique number needs to be printed and signed by the customer), where we need to be able to deliver partial quantity of the sales order to the customer and to have seperate delivery number for each shipment and then to have one invoice or multiple invoices for these deliveries. here is the scenario 1- Create a Quotation 2- transfer Quotation to Order (since qty is not avai...

moving right to left
How do I set the the enter button to transition right instead of down? -- new to excel tools>options>edit> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Bruce B" <BruceB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E09E5834-3531-4F1D-964E-DB7521D10377@microsoft.com... > How do I set the the enter button to transition right instead of down? > -- > new to excel Tools|options|Edit tab Move selection after enter section. Bruce B wrote: > > How do I set the the enter button to transition right instead of down? > -- > new ...

Excel Data Manager Tool?
I'm currently performing data analysis on a group of related Excel spreadsheets that have grown over time. All of the spreadsheets contain numerous tabs with multiple references to other tabs and other spreadsheets. Performing analysis on these spreadsheets has been difficult because of the labyrinth of complex data relationships. Can someone advise on whether there is an Excel tool available in the marketplace that can do what 'Enterprise Manager' does for a SQL database? Basically, I'm looking for a tool that can document the data relationships within a set of ...

Multiple TransferText to the same File
On Access 2003: I have a multiple tables that need to export its data on a text (fixed width) file. I tried the transfertext macro and the following VB but they overwrite each other's export. DoCmd.TransferText (acExportMerge), "MASTER_DELIVERY", "0001_MASTER_DELIVERY", "C:\Data\testouput.txt", No DoCmd.TransferText (acExportMerge), "EOB_NON_DETAIL", "0002_EOB_NON_DETAIL", "C:\Data\testouput.txt", No DoCmd.TransferText (acExportMerge), "SERVICE_LINE", "0003_SERVICE_LINE", "C:\Data\test...

Transfering Data From One Workbook to Another.
Dear All, I'm still teaching myself VBA, and there's a huge problem whose solution i cannot figure out. Your help would be greatly appreciated. i have an input workbook from which to extract data to another workbook (thus 2 different workbooks. The input sheet has data split up in five categories. Each category has five rows of data. So say the categories are titled: A, B, C, D, and E in column A. With each category separated by five rows, each row (in column C) has different numbers. The output sheet (in the other workbook) has all categories A, B, C, D, and E arranged (n...

List of late tasks across multiple projects
I am looking for the best way to get a list of late tasks for multiple projects in project server. I am using Project Serve 2007. Thanks in advance! Assuming each task has work assigned to an enterprise resource, then view a resource centre view, select all resources, and view all assignments. Create a filter where the finish date is < today and the % complete <> 100%. This assume you have < 100 resources. If this is not the case, then use an OLAP cube, and show remaining work > 0 and filter by date. If tasks don't have work, then I suspect you...

Multiple IF statements in equation
Hello, I have this simple equation in excel where I have tested the individual segments - I know it works, but when I put it into excel, it tells me there's an error. If anyone has ideas, let me know - Thanks. Below is the equation =IF (C57>0, IF(C59>0, ((C59/C57)^(0.5))-1, IF (C57<0, IF(C59<0, (((C59/C57)^(0.5))-1)*-1, IF(C57<0, IF(C59>0, (((ABS(C57) + ABS(C57) + C59)/ ABS(C57) ) ^0.5)-1, IF(C57>0, IF(C59<0, ((((C57 + C57 + ABS(C59)) /C57) ^0.5) -1) *-1, "")))))))) If you are in Excel 2003 or earlier, you have too many levels of par...

Detect top, left & height of activeworkbook? How do?
Anyone know how to detect the position (top, left & ht) of a given open workbook? I am trying to show all open workbooks in a flowing style so I can see them all. I know that the cascade style position exists but I want to have more control over the position of each of these open workbooks so I can see them better. Thanks, Chet Try something like this - Sub Cascader() Dim cnt As Long, i As Long, n As Long Dim w As Single, h As Single Dim wn As Window Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.WindowState = xlMaximized With ActiveWindow .W...

some Archive mails Left
Hi All, I have one imap email account, and i setup this account into the email clients using Netscape7.2 and Outlook xp sp3 to send/receive mails. Everything is fine. But I found a problem when i am using auto-archive function in Ms Outlook to archive mail, some mails are left in Inbox folder. The problem is that mails are not all moved into archive folder, and then I have only read some messages from Netscape and these messages did not archive in the Outlook. Moreover, is the archive function working with unread mails? (As some of unread mails is archived, some mails doesn't.) ...

Deposits from multiple payors
I know this question has been asked before, but I was unable to locate an answer in the archives. I frequently deposit several checks at a time. I can see how to allocate the different categories in a deposit like that, but there seems to be no place to put the payer. If I enter each check as a separate deposit, Money can't recognize the transaction when I get it downloaded from the bank. Is there any way to deal with this? -- The Other Jim Hargrove Austin, TX You can split the downloaded transaction and match it up with the multiple transacion that you entered manually. "The Ot...

Multiple Template Downloads
I would like to download the real estate templates that Microsoft has available. I am able to download only 1 at a time and to get them all would take an eternity. Does anyone know how I can download more than 1 at a time or is there some other site that might have them available in a better format for downloading? Thanks for anyoneones help. For you to be able to download all the templates at once, it would mean multiple openings of the program used to create the templates. Your system couldn't handle it. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.o...