Large integers in cells

Hi

How can I make Excel show integers larger than 15 digits? I mean
without showing it in squares of 10.

123456789012345 is largest I can make fully visible by changing cell
type. After that, for example 1234567890123456 is shown as
1234567890123450 or 1,234567890123450E+14 depending on cell type. But
NOT the way I'd like it.

Is it possible to change the behaviour so I can see as long integer as
fits to cell?

regards
Juha Immonen

excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Not as an integer, as Excel only displays 15 digits and as you see it then
adds zeroes, so without working in scientific notation...no

If these are really text though (e.g credit card numbers), although you
clearly state integer, you can add a leading apostrophe (') or pre-format
the cell(s) as text. Excel will then display up to 256 in the cell or some
larger number of characters in the formula bar

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

Nick Hodge wrote:
> Not as an integer, as Excel only displays 15 digits and as you see it then
> adds zeroes, so without working in scientific notation...no.

But won't it get inaccurate when lets say 12345678901234567890 is
turned to 1,23456789012345000000E+19? Or what did you mean with this
"scientific notation"?

Pre-formatting to text seems to help seeing it all, but I really would
need to do calculations on these, so it's out of question format.
Result field should also have this "feature" and formulas won't fit to
text cells.

I assume this thing is hardcoded without possibility to change even via
registry or anything?

brgds
Juha Immonen

Hello Juha,

Look here:
http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/

I have not tested it - but it is mentioned in wikipedia ...

HTH,
Bernd

0
bplumhoff1 (208)
7/14/2006 10:43:52 AM
bplumhoff@gmail.com wrote:
> Look here:
> http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
> I have not tested it - but it is mentioned in wikipedia ...

Looks very promising, although it's only capable of 200 digits. Does
anyone have experience on this? Might it work with later Excels as
well?

Juha

If you really need that many significant digits, then I think I'd stay away from
excel and try to find a different program.

--

Dave Peterson
0
juha.immonen@gmail.com wrote:
> bplumhoff@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Look here:
>>http://digilander.libero.it/foxes/
>>I have not tested it - but it is mentioned in wikipedia ...
>

> Looks very promising, although it's only capable of 200 digits. Does
> anyone have experience on this? Might it work with later Excels as
> well?
>
> Juha

"only capable of 200 digits" ????
Those are pretty big numbers. Out of curiosity, just what are you doing
that requires working with such large integers?
0
wfsnopam (66)

Copying specific cells ?
If you please..... I would like to do this: If A1="XXXX" copy A2 to B1 If A22="XXXX" copy A23 to B2 If A29="XXXX" copy A30 to B3 I want to copy the very NEXT cell after any cell that has "XXXX" into column in order. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: enter the following array formula (entered with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) in B1 =INDEX($A$1:$A$100,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$100="XXXX",ROW($A$1:$A$100)),ROW(1: 1))+1) +and copy this down as far as needed -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "brazen234 >&qu...

Leave No Cell Blank
I just read the following tip from the MS Office Assistance Center, "More Crabby Excel Tips from a Crabby Tester". To move a cell and not leave a blank one: Select the cell or row you want to move. Rest the pointer over the cell until the four-pronged arrow appears. Hold down the SHIFT key and drag the cell to where you want it. Let go of the SHIFT key. I use Excel 2000. However, my pointer is a white cross with a black border. It stays that way and does not change into a four-pronged arrow. I cannot drag the cell. How can I get this to work? This does work in prev...

Email large messages
Hi, I have to email large DWG & zip files attached to email messages and have been having trouble with breaking apart large mess. in outlook express. I set maximum file size to 1500KB but they never seem to get reconstituted on the receiving end. If I send a message with a 6MB attachment the receiving end gets 4 file: 1 of 4, 2 of 4.... 4 of 4 and so on and they can not do anything with it. Thanks for any help. Joe This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of thes...

How large is a chart?
I am just asking out of curiosity. How large, in kilobytes, is a chart; say, a 1000-point x-y scatter? I had a large file whose size was halved when the charts were deleted (actually, they were lost, along with formats and scenarios, when the file got corrupted; see "story" below). In my non-expert view, it should not be so large, because the only information unique to the chart is its position, size, format, and similar details. The actual data itself is contained in the data-range cells, so should not have to be repeated in the chart itself. Not only the formulas but th...

Formatting Cells #18
Hi there Does anyone know whether and if so how to format a cell so that text will covert to CAPITAL even if the entry is done in lower case? Thanks Can't be done with formatting. You can do it with an event macro (VBA). The archives http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=*excel* have lots of examples. For instance: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.programming/tree/br owse_frm/thread/939824c77c99da47/2ef3a9722e83a170 In article <0CB8624A-92C7-4809-BDEB-BCB2447668F2@microsoft.com>, "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microso...

Large fonts
How can I get fonts larger than 72? Hi swirem70, In the point-size box, you can type any point size, from 1 to 1638, in 0.5pt increments. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "swirem70" <swirem70@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BEC0E88-CFF7-454F-B714-15D6538BBF02@microsoft.com... > How can I get fonts larger than 72? ....and press Enter. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "macropod" <macropod@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:%236N...

Getting a cell reference to move laterally instead of vertically?
I have data that is sorted in columns, but the data I want to graph is a cross section of this data and therefore it comes from one row across several columns. I'm trying sort my graph/equation data in a column, however. Is there a way to get the equation cell references to move across a row even while the cell is descending a column? You can do it on a range using the TRANSPOSE function (array entered), or you may want to take a look at the OFFSET function, which takes a row and column argument. Use the ROW() function to generate the column argument and you will be able to copy...

Text shown up in other cells everytime a text is entered in 1 cell
Hello there, I have a question, Let me show the table first, so make it easy to understand: Col A Col B Col C Col D P9-A-1 test-1 1 blue P9-A-2 test-2 1 green -- -- P9-B-1 test-1 1 blue Here is my question: I'd like to see the value or text in Col A, C, D shown up (row 1), everytime I type or enter a text in Col B row 1 (B1). If there is NO text typed in B1, then I'd like to have an empty cell in A1...

Contents in cell not "spilling" into adjacent blank cell
I have a spreadsheet that the contents of a cell are not spilling into a blank cell. If A1 contains a long string of text and B1 is empty, then A1's text will also show in the adjacent empty cells. If this is a feature, I have never had a need for it and would like to turn it off but not sure how. I can also avoid it in the future. Thanks! Bluegrassstate, Some possibilities: The cell is formatted for wrap text (Format, Cells, Alignment) and the row is not set for Autofit , or is right-aligned -- try Edit - Clear - Formats (you can undo it later) to see if any formatting is the c...

return cell from named sheet
Hi, I have a list of sheet names in column A and want to return the value of the repective sheets cell E10 in column B. Many thanks in advance! One way: B1: =INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "'!E10") In article <BBEC2890-E553-4071-B5B9-FCABA4D74796@microsoft.com>, "AndrewB" <AndrewB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > I have a list of sheet names in column A and want to return the value of the > repective sheets cell E10 in column B. > > Many thanks in advance! ...

formula for selecting all cells
I'm trying to create a macro that will select all my cells from the beginning (top left) to the last one (bottom right corner) and then put a border around them. Any help is appreciated. one way: Dim vSides As Variant Dim i As Long vSides = Array(xlEdgeTop, xlEdgeBottom, xlEdgeLeft, xlEdgeRight) With ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Borders For i = 0 To UBound(vSides) With .Item(vSides(i)) .LineStyle = xlContinuous .Weight = xlThin .ColorIndex = xlAutomatic End W...

large email stuck in Outbox
I have an email with a large attachmment stuck in my Outbox. After trying to send it I get the error message gtom my email server that the email is too large. The problem is that outlook won't let me delete the email. I get either no message when trying to delete or Outlook tells me that it is already being send and I cannot delte while sending. Is there any way to get rid of this email? Hi, Log off from outlook. Kill Mapisp32.exe Then remove the network cable. Connect to outlook Work Offline Now u can delete the file from Outbox. Rgds, Kishore >-----Original Message----- &g...

select value of a random cell
hi, i want to select the value of a random cell. my table looks like this: PHP code ------------------- . A B C D 1 england red dog porsche 2 spain blue cat BMW 3 usa green mouse mercedes 4 greece yellow horse VW 5 germany black donkey jagua ------------------- The function should choose a random value(cell) between B1:D5. and also a function that chooses a random v...

Speed issues with large volume of serial numbers
Has anyone had issues auto assigning/posting a receipt with 100,000+ serial numbers in Dynamics GP? We were testing with the GP10 4/08 VPC (which I know isn't perfect), but it seems to take 15 or 20 minutes to assign. And 3rd party add-ons? hi Msauce What kind of Hardware are running this on? It sounds like the SQL server is having an issue and not he client. -- Fliehigh "MSauce" wrote: > Has anyone had issues auto assigning/posting a receipt with 100,000+ serial > numbers in Dynamics GP? We were testing with the GP10 4/08 VPC (which I know > isn't p...

cell address problem
in Excel 2002, my column names have changed from letters to numbers. how do I change them back? -- solrac99 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ solrac99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23899 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375316 Tools>Options>General Uncheck R1C1 Reference style Does that help? Ro -- Ron Coderr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...

NDRs not being generated on Large SIZE emails
This is a follow up question to my SIZE MATTERS! post. When a large email gets sent out (in my case over 3MB), I do not receive an NDR. So the user is left thinking that it went out because he/she never gets notified that it was not delivered. The Application Log has EVENT ID 3004 with a Source being - MSEXCHANGEIMC which states: An NDR could not be sent. This is most likely because the original message had a blank originating address. In most cases this is normal behavior, although it can sometimes indicate a local or remote server configuration problem. If archiving was enabled at...

Cell Format #4

How to Call Macros to Activate once a cell's value has changed?
Hi all I realise how stupid i m because i can't remember how i used to d these things... it's been a while since i last touched vb again... ho can i get the macros to run once a cell's value has changed and how can get the macros to run upon opening the workbook? cheer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi 1. for the first question use the worksheet_change event of your worksheet. e.g. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub With Target ...

Can you have cells "trade places"?
I dont know if this is possible, but I want to be able to move a cell on top of another cell and have them trade places instead of just delete the existing cell. Is this possible? You could record a Macro to move/copy A1 to C1 and then move/copy B1 to A1, and then move/copy C1 to B1.......... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Jimmy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:096E45D4-AEC4-4A25-997D-E49102F28A08@microsoft.com... > I dont know if this is possible, but I want to be able to move a cell on top of another cell and have them trade places instead o...

paste text into a used cell
I need to move text from one row to a single cell that has been formatted to wrap text and repeat the process for other rows. Paste is not working. Please advise. When you copy and paste, you paste the format as well as the contents If you want to copy text to a cell that is formatted differently instead of paste, slelct paste special, values -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26962 ...

large database
I have a customer with SQL 2005 workgroup edition. Their database is now growing about a half gig a month due to doing 3K transactions a day (very busy store) The problem is when an end of month report is generated the registers freeze for the 5 minutes it takes to generate the report. Americans don't want to wait that long to get thier bottled water or candy bar. The server for the store was upgraded to Server 2006 64-bit but not SQL 2005 64-bit as the 64 bit version of SQL won't run Microsoft RMS Does any one have any ideas to keep the registers from freezong. Dave of Su...

Cell Value Override
I would like to know if there is a way to change the value of a cell by clicking on it. say for example, I have three boxes: one box has "Y", another has "N" and yet another has "NA". the goal is to click on one of the boxes and have the value replaced with an "X". Thanks. ...

Large OU Restructure
Hi Guru's We have a large OU restructure coming up. Our AD is a single domain with reasonably good network links between our DC's. The OU's we want to restructure have approx 2000 objects each. The OU restructure does not involve adding or deleting any of the existing objects and only involves a restructuring of the OU tree itself. The queries I have are as follows. 1. Are there any gotchas of right clicking an OU with 2000 objects in it and choosing to move it to a new part of an OU tree. (Or should a smaller number of objects within the OU be moved inste...

overlapping cells
is there a way you can overlap cells so that the cell on top is writte over the cell on bottom but you can still see the cell on the bottom. im looking for creative ways to make a centerline symbol in excel. havent been able to find the symbol in any font i have installed. th centerline symbol is a c overlapping an L. thank you, you royal geniuses. : -- lsu-i-lik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lsu-i-like's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1431 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

VLookUp and DropDown List in the same cell
Hi everyone, I know that this is possible but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. In column E, I have a list of zip code. In column I, I have the "Priority" category. Priority will be based on the zip code in column E. This will be accomplished by VLookUp formula, where I will have a separate sheet store all the zip codes and the priorities (ie. Priority #1, Priority #2 and so on). The challenge part is that column I "Priority" column needs to be able to use as a Drop Down List as well, in case that the VLookUp formula needs to be overridden for s...