Keyboard shortcut to Name Box

Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of
that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52  (i.e. upper left :
lower right)

The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box?
so that a range can be immediately typed in?

  -Gregory

0
gabbey (6)
2/22/2007 6:10:30 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Gregory

F5 key will do the trick.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:30 -0800, "Gregory" <gabbey@dynanet.com> wrote:

>Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of
>that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
>the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52  (i.e. upper left :
>lower right)
>
>The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box?
>so that a range can be immediately typed in?
>
>  -Gregory

0
Gord
2/22/2007 7:16:28 PM
On Feb 22, 2:16 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Gregory
>
> F5 key will do the trick.
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

Yep.. that works. I dumped the HELP [F1] `shortcut keys=B4 window to
printer and it was 20 pages!!

Additionally.. what's the hotkey to: Return to worksheet tab #1?  CTRL
+Home will go to cell A1.

    -Gregory

> On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:30 -0800, "Gregory" <gab...@dynanet.com> wrote:
>
> >Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of
> >that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
> >the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52  (i.e. upper left :
> >lower right)
>
> >The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box?
> >so that a range can be immediately typed in?
>
> >  -Gregory- Hide quoted text -

gabbey (6)
2/22/2007 7:32:14 PM
CTRL + PageUp/Pagedown  will cycle through the sheets.

No way to go to first worksheet without using VBA or hyperlinks.

Not a shortcut key but if you right-click on the navigation arrows at bottom
left you can select from a list of sheets.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On 22 Feb 2007 11:32:14 -0800, "Gregory" <gabbey@dynanet.com> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 2:16 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>> Gregory
>>
>> F5 key will do the trick.
>>
>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

>Yep.. that works. I dumped the HELP [F1] `shortcut keys� window to
>printer and it was 20 pages!!
>
>Additionally.. what's the hotkey to: Return to worksheet tab #1?  CTRL
>+Home will go to cell A1.
>

>    -Gregory
>

>> On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:30 -0800, "Gregory" <gab...@dynanet.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of
>> >that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
>> >the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52  (i.e. upper left :
>> >lower right)
>>
>> >The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box?
>> >so that a range can be immediately typed in?
>>
>> >  -Gregory- Hide quoted text -

Gord
2/22/2007 7:59:13 PM
> F5 key will do the trick.

That works as long as you are using names only as the destination for GoTo,
which is all the OP wanted to do.  If you need to change a name, you've got
to CTRL+F3, which is, at least to me, an ergonomically uncomfortable key
combo when done with one hand.

I use a keyboard shortcut, CTRL+SHIFT+N, to set focus to the name box in
order to either go to a range name or create a new range name. One key
combo, multi-use.

Public Declare Function SetFocus Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long

Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" _
    (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long

Public Declare Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" _
    (ByVal hWnd1 As Long, ByVal hWnd2 As Long, _
    ByVal lpsz1 As String, ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long

Sub SetFocusNameBox()
    Application.OnKey "^+N", ThisWorkbook.Name & "!FocusNameBox"
End Sub

Sub FocusNameBox()
Dim Res As Long
Res = SetFocus( _
        FindWindowEx( _
            FindWindowEx( _
                FindWindow("XLMAIN", vbNullString) _
            , 0, "EXCEL;", vbNullString) _
        , 0, "combobox", vbNullString))

End Sub

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

> Gregory
>
> F5 key will do the trick.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:30 -0800, "Gregory" <gabbey@dynanet.com> wrote:
>
>>Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of
>>that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
>>the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52  (i.e. upper left :
>>lower right)
>>
>>The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box?
>>so that a range can be immediately typed in?
>>
>>  -Gregory

0
chip1 (1821)
2/22/2007 8:12:00 PM
Thanks Chip

Missed the "name" part in

>> One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
>>the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52

I took it OP just wanted to type in range address for selection which can be
done in the F5 dialog box.

Gord

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:12:00 -0600, "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote:

>> F5 key will do the trick.
>
>That works as long as you are using names only as the destination for GoTo,
>which is all the OP wanted to do.  If you need to change a name, you've got
>to CTRL+F3, which is, at least to me, an ergonomically uncomfortable key
>combo when done with one hand.
>
>I use a keyboard shortcut, CTRL+SHIFT+N, to set focus to the name box in
>order to either go to a range name or create a new range name. One key
>combo, multi-use.
>
>Public Declare Function SetFocus Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
>
>Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" _
>    (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
>
>Public Declare Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" _
>    (ByVal hWnd1 As Long, ByVal hWnd2 As Long, _
>    ByVal lpsz1 As String, ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long
>
>Sub SetFocusNameBox()
>    Application.OnKey "^+N", ThisWorkbook.Name & "!FocusNameBox"
>End Sub
>
>Sub FocusNameBox()
>Dim Res As Long
>Res = SetFocus( _
>        FindWindowEx( _
>            FindWindowEx( _
>                FindWindow("XLMAIN", vbNullString) _
>            , 0, "EXCEL;", vbNullString) _
>        , 0, "combobox", vbNullString))
>
>End Sub

0
Gord
2/22/2007 8:48:01 PM
That's what I really wanted:  CTRL+SHIFT+N   but it brings up Name
Manager 4.0    :))

Nowever, working with it more.. the object was to bring up the Name
Box (without any names) and type in a range of cells.. in this case
B2 : CX74   (spaces removed, of course)   and that will select a BIG
range of cells too difficult to drag the mouse across. Plus they're
ALL the same size selections. Then, after the RANGE is selected, a
NAME can be typed into the Name Box. Need to play with it more.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. Be careful when dumping hotkey
list to printer!!

   -Gregory

On Feb 22, 3:12 pm, "Chip Pearson" <c...@cpearson.com> wrote:
> > F5 key will do the trick.
>
> That works as long as you are using names only as the destination for GoTo,
> which is all the OP wanted to do.  If you need to change a name, you've got
> to CTRL+F3, which is, at least to me, an ergonomically uncomfortable key
> combo when done with one hand.
>
> I use a keyboard shortcut, CTRL+SHIFT+N, to set focus to the name box in
> order to either go to a range name or create a new range name. One key
> combo, multi-use.
>
> Public Declare Function SetFocus Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
>
> Public Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" _
>     (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long
>
> Public Declare Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" _
>     (ByVal hWnd1 As Long, ByVal hWnd2 As Long, _
>     ByVal lpsz1 As String, ByVal lpsz2 As String) As Long
>
> Sub SetFocusNameBox()
>     Application.OnKey "^+N", ThisWorkbook.Name & "!FocusNameBox"
> End Sub
>
> Sub FocusNameBox()
> Dim Res As Long
> Res = SetFocus( _
>         FindWindowEx( _
>             FindWindowEx( _
>                 FindWindow("XLMAIN", vbNullString) _
>             , 0, "EXCEL;", vbNullString) _
>         , 0, "combobox", vbNullString))
>
> End Sub
>
> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLCwww.cpearson.com
> (email address is on the web site)
>
> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message

> > Gregory
>
> > F5 key will do the trick.
>
> > Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> > On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:30 -0800, "Gregory" <gab...@dynanet.com> wrote:
>
> >>Just below the main toolbar is the Formula Bar.. and to the left of
> >>that is the Name Box. One can select and name a Cell RANGE by typing
> >>the cell-limits in the Name Box such as B2:Z52  (i.e. upper left :
> >>lower right)
>
> >>The question is.. what's the shortcut (hotkey) to engage the Name Box?
> >>so that a range can be immediately typed in?
>
> >>  -Gregory- Hide quoted text -

gabbey (6)
2/22/2007 8:52:57 PM
This works (thanks!), But is there something easier, like the one-line
macro I use to set focus to the font box?:

Application.CommandBars("Formatting").FindControl(ID:=1728).SetFocus

0
Andy4825 (32)
2/23/2007 4:47:51 AM
Neither the NameBox nor the Formula Bar is part of the CommandBars object
family. Therefore, you can't get a reference to either that can be used with
SetFocus.

--

"Andy" <Andy@nospam.net> wrote in message
> This works (thanks!), But is there something easier, like the one-line
> macro I use to set focus to the font box?:
>
> Application.CommandBars("Formatting").FindControl(ID:=1728).SetFocus

0
chip1 (1821)
2/23/2007 3:05:07 PM
> Neither the NameBox nor the Formula Bar is part of the CommandBars object
> family. Therefore, you can't get a reference to either that can be used with
> SetFocus.

Which explains my lack of success trying to figure out why nothing I tried
worked (and the flat spot on my forehead).

I was about to kludge a macro using AutoHotkey or Macro Express when I saw this
post.  So I thank you again!

0
Andy4825 (32)
2/23/2007 6:04:11 PM
You programmer types are amazing.  :))

This has been a good discussion, with many slick ways to select a
RANGE of cells. One guy asked some years ago "how do you know when the
END of the cell-range is coming so as to avoid mouse, or `cell select
overshoot?=B4  And I replied.. watch the scroll-bar sliding button. When
it gets near to the END of the scroll track range.. then SLOW DOWN
with the mouse!!      { chuckle }

   -Gregory

On Feb 23, 10:05 am, "Chip Pearson" <c...@cpearson.com> wrote:
> Neither the NameBox nor the Formula Bar is part of the CommandBars object
> family. Therefore, you can't get a reference to either that can be used w=
ith
> SetFocus.
>
> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
>
> "Andy" <A...@nospam.net> wrote in message
>

> > This works (thanks!), But is there something easier, like the one-line
> > macro I use to set focus to the font box?:
>
> > Application.CommandBars("Formatting").FindControl(ID:=3D1728).SetFocus-=

gabbey (6)

MFC Combo Box does not open
Hi all Need help, can someone confirm me this: I make a new MFC Project with the Project Wizzard -> Application type: Dialog based -> Without using UNICODE Librarys and then all the default settings. After that i added an Combo Box and typed in the Proberties Data field in the Proberties: 'COM1;COM2;COM3;' Now when i build the Project and start it, i can't open the Data field by clicking on the Combo Box Icon, but with when i give focus on the Box and move with the currsor keys up and down i can select the Data ( COM1 a.s.o ), very strange, if i change the property...

English keyboard
Hi All, How can I switch the keyboard to English (or to any other) from Access ? Thanks in advance Imre ...

How to calculate the text length in an edit box?
Hi to all, How can I detect if the text in an edit box control exceeds the edit box's width? Here's what I did without success: // Get the width of the edit box m_myEditBox.GetWindowRect(rect); ScreenToClient(&rect); TRACE("Rect Size : Width=%d; Height=%d\n", rect.Width(), rect.Height()); // Calculate the width of the text pDC = m_myEditBox.GetDC(); m_myEditBox.GetWindowText(sString); size = pDC->GetTextExtent(sString); TRACE("textSize (Logical): cx=%d; cy=%d\n", size.cx, size.cy); pDC->LPtoDP(&size); T...

mailbox name & language
Hi all, I administer an Exchange 2000 server at work. Everything is working fine, except one mailbox which I first accessed through OWA in a browser with a different default language. It looks like the mailbox was created in that language, and I want to change it to English. I already fixed the mail folders (Inbox, etc), I think I used outlook /resetfoldernames or something like that. But I can't find a way to rename the actual mailbox. It should display as "Mailbox - Firstname Lastname", but "Mailbox" appears in the other language. It is the same everytime I set...

control name literal
I have a form in AC2003. FormA calls FormB with the OpenArgs set to the control name on FormA to populate the results of FormB. My users are selecting a time which is on FormB. Because this function is needed for about 20 other forms, I have created a generic FormB. The openargs being used by the OpenForm from FormA consists of a string name which represents of the fully qualified control name back on FormA to receive the calculated value of FormB. For example FormA calls FormB by: DoCmd.OpenForm "FormB", , , , , acDialog, "forms!sidemenu!formnameonly.form.P...

Keyboard
Hi, I need to catch the keyboard key`s ctrl+alt+e in my MFC application how can I catch the combination of those three key`s??? How can I catch the F5 key??? For a normal key`s I use appwizard OnChar function or KeyDown. Thanks. hi, I guess you can try GetKeyState(VK_MENU) and GetKeyState(VK_CONTROL) when you response the OnChar or KeyDown message. "Dave" wrote: > Hi, > I need to catch the keyboard key`s ctrl+alt+e in my MFC application > how can I catch the combination of those three key`s??? > > How can I catch the F5 key??? > > &...

Restrict cells selected to specific range name
HI, I would like to restrict selection of cells to only a range say the dimensions of a range name. Is this possibly in VBA please. EG My rangename is Weeks which is the range A1:B10 and i dont want any users to access cells outside of this range. Hope that makes sense. Thanks JB try using Scrollarea property to set scrollarea Worksheets(1).ScrollArea = "A1:B10" to clear Worksheets(1).ScrollArea = " " -- jb "John" wrote: > HI, > > I would like to restrict selection of cells to only a range say the > dimensi...

Grouping Option Boxes?
I've got a form that can be filled out in Excel, or printed out an filled in with pen. I'm using the "Option Box" from the Forms toolbar but they are all linked, i.e., only one Option Box can be checked a any given time. How can I differentiate among groups of Option Boxes o the same page? I have tried using the Group Box to no avail. Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Put the optionbuttons that should be grouped inside their own group...

Name Formula
I have created a spreadsheet with information from Access. I have the information put in columns A-F. I have put in coumn G the percentage of traffic based on the sum of all the data in column C. Now what I want to be able to do is to create a name that will select the rows that have the percentage greater than 0.5%. This way I can put them in a chart. Can I do this or do I have to create a macro to do this? I also would not want to have the macro run each time that I open the file. So any help on this would be greatly apprechatied. Thanks. With your from sheet name...

Create an exel 2007 shortcut key
How do I create an excel shortcut key? For instance, I want to create a shortcut key for Moving or Copying a worksheet. I added it to the quick access toolboar, but cannot figure out to create a shortcut key for that command. Thank you for your help. Not sure why you need a shortcut key, when a button is already handy, but here are the instructions from the Excel help file. You'll need to put the command in a macro, then: "To assign a CTRL combination shortcut key to run the macro, in the Shortcut key box [click View Macros - select macro - click Options], type any lowerc...

Database name added to link tables!
Hi, I am a very new Access database user. I am using the Microsoft Access function called “Get External Data” to create link tables to an Oracle 11 G R2 database. My problem is that Access is adding the database name to the names of all the link tables instead of just creating link tables with the original Oracle database name. Eg a table on the Oracle database is called “com_user” but is created by Access as a link table called “databasename_com_user” Unfortunately all my automated test scripts that use the Access link tables fail because they do not recognize the link table n...

hook keyboard and send as other keyvalue
hi, i have a problem to deal with global keyboard hooking . my application has to deal with a special keyboard, whitch asking that when press Shilft + A, it actually come out "#", Shift + B , it comes out "&".. and when shift is not pressed, the A is still A. i can not come out with the functionality no matter what.. i have to use global keyboard hooking since it is for the whole application LRESULT CALLBACK keyProc(int nCode,WPARAM wParam,LPARAM lParam) { PKBDLLHOOKSTRUCT hook = (PKBDLLHOOKSTRUCT)lParam; ??????? return CallNextHookEx(gHook, nCode, wPa...

VLOOKUP error #NAME
I am trying to VLOOKUP text from a column in a different tab in a workbook but the command continues to return #NAME?. The cells are formated to "GENERAL", not text. The command is below. Does anyone have advice? =VLOOKUP('VAMC Restrooms'!Leebcor Services,'VAMC Restrooms'!A:D,2,FALSE) >Leebcor Services Defined names can't contain space characters. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "bderek95" <bderek95@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAD181E4-C02F-40D0-8370-57B135C6BD81@microsoft.com... >I am trying to VLO...

Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class
Hey Friends Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class. vikrant wrote: > Hey Friends > > Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided > CRecordset class. > > Yes. The CATALOG sample in MSDN shows how. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] vikrant, Yes... You can use access the system tables directly, especially using a CRecordset object connected to a Database object that is associated with the database in question and this SQL statement: SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE ( Flags=0) AND (Typ...

Swedish characters in the Display name
I have a problem with Swedish characters in the senders' names on outgoing e-mail. Previously we have formatted the display names like: Last name, First name This is causing problems for some external recipients, since their e-mail program reads this as two addresses (Last name as one name and First name as another) I tried changing the display name for one user to "First name Last name" instead, but then the Swedish characters are not shown when he/she sends an external e-mail. Example: "Åke Jönsson" becomes "Ake Jonsson" or "Åsa H...

Is there a way to select all text boxes in a document?
I want to change the size of my document from a booklet on 11 x 14 paper to one page each on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. I can get the document to change to the 81/2 x 11 paper but the text boxes are still the smaller size (from the booklet). Is there a way to select all the text boxes at once so I can reformat their size? I want to make a large-print version of this booklet. Thank you for any help you can offer. Try the Painter tool. Quickly copy formatting with the Format Painter http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA010548921033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.mi...

KEYBOARD NOT WORKING
I know some people may help better if I give more specific details to my problem.. So here goes: My keyboard works correctly with any other application, such as MSN, ICQ, Wordpad.. etc. However, when I open an Office application such as Word or Excel, it doesn't seem to type for me. I cannot type in the help section, can I type in the document or in those toolbars at the top for Fonts, etc. But if I specifically go to "Format >> Font", then yes, I can type in it. I have tried reinstalling Office already, that doesn't work. The hardware is fine, I can still...

How do I name my colums in Excel ?
I want to label my colums in an Excel file instead of the A, B, C, and D that it comes with. I double clicked on the cell and typed what I wanted in the Name Box, but when I print my file it still has the A, B, C, and D labels. You can NOT rename. But, you can use a label in the top row and hide columns/rows in tools>options. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kath" <Kath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA20036D-4BF2-4C0B-B02A-0A4DF397E329@microsoft.com... > I want to label my colums in an Excel file instead of the A, B, C, and D th...

Formula to pull the lowest supplier name
I need assistance creating a formula to extract the supplier name associated with the lowest supplier bid. A sample of the data looks like this. I need to be careful as some quotes will be zero and I do not want to pull this as the minimum supplier. Sup A Sup B Sup C Minimum Sup Bid Minimum Sup Name $/lb. $/lb. $/lb. $/lb. Item 1 1 2 3 1 ? Item 2 0.5 0.2 0.4 0.2 ? Item 3 2.4 1.9 0.8 0.8 ? To get the minimum and ignore zeros, can use this array (confirm formula ...

Check box setup
I am brand new to Excel 2007, and want 1 column to have a checkbox for a yes/no option. How in the hell do I do this. I know how to do this in Access, but not Excel. Thanks ...

Desktop shortcut
I know there have been several posts about this but can't seem to figure out some of the answers. I have lost, for some reason, the Create a Desktop Short cut from my right click context menu. I tried one thing and all I got was the Desktop icon on my Desktop. I did more searching but can NOT find: "the file *Desktop (create shortcut)* from the Default user folder." I went to my User folder and there is no such item. Am I looking in the wrong area? And while I'm at it, what could I have done to remove it in the first place. Don't want to do that aga...

Adding a databound list box to excel ?
I need to add a databound list box to excel. I would like me to type in a cell, the contents of the listbox is from a MS Access database !, I just can't see any help in the excel help or google searches :( any help would be grateful Thanks Adrian Thompson ...

Contact Name and TO: field names not listed in same order
I am using Outlook 2007. I have several instances of this problem, but most names are ok. In my Contact list, all of the names are displayed properly, last name, then first name. However, when I am sending an email and click on the TO: button to get the list of contacts, a few of the names are listed first name then last name and the are alphabetically in order by their first name. For example, I will have Tom Smith in the Contact database as Smith, Tom. All three fields (Full Name, File as name and Display as name) show Smith, Tom. And the name appears in the S names when I show the C...

Parse Name with 2 different separators
I have a field with a full name in the following format Smith, John A I woul dlike to split out the Last and First name into their own field. I can get the Last name with - Left([CustomerName],InStr([CustomerName],", ")-1) but I can't get the first name. The problem is that in some instances there is a middle initial and in some records there isn't. Can I work around this to just get the first name? Try this, assuming that there is always a space between first name and middle initial: Left(Mid([CustomerName], InStr([CustomerName], ", ") ...

Startup from keyboard
Hi to you all I have been using m/s XP for the last 5 years with computer set to start at the touch of any key on the keyboard . I recently got a new computer with Vista installed but can not remember how I set computer up to do this. Can anyone jog my memory. Thanks in anticipation. Bob This is the wrong newsgroup. Try the Windows Vista newsgroup. BTW, what does Great Plains or GP or Dynamics have to do with waking a computer up from sleep? ;-) -- Japheth Nolt Microsoft SBF Specialist Landis Computer www.landiscomputer.com 6/19/2007 11:39:30 AM blackbob wrote: > Hi to you all ...