Is there a way to split a sheet so columns can be different widths?

I have a bunch of worksheets that have a top part and a bottom part.
The top part contains settings for various parmeters. The bottom part
is a table showing calculations based on those parameters.

The problem is that the parameters often need different column widths
than the table. Is there some way to split a sheet into a top part and
a bottom part were I can adjust the column widths independently?
0
Prof
4/17/2010 4:56:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Column widths and row heights are properties of the entire column and row
and cannot be changed.

I hesitate to mention "merged cells" due to the problems they can cause.

BUT........it is an option in limited cases.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:56:07 -0700, Prof Wonmug <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote:

>I have a bunch of worksheets that have a top part and a bottom part.
>The top part contains settings for various parmeters. The bottom part
>is a table showing calculations based on those parameters.
>
>The problem is that the parameters often need different column widths
>than the table. Is there some way to split a sheet into a top part and
>a bottom part were I can adjust the column widths independently?

0
Gord
4/17/2010 5:05:31 PM
Gord,

That's a good reply. Shows your experience.

Chaitanya
http://www.p2w2.com/chaitanya_sagar/index.php

Gord Dibben wrote:
>Column widths and row heights are properties of the entire column and row
>and cannot be changed.
>
>I hesitate to mention "merged cells" due to the problems they can cause.
>
>BUT........it is an option in limited cases.
>
>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
>>I have a bunch of worksheets that have a top part and a bottom part.
>>The top part contains settings for various parmeters. The bottom part
>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>than the table. Is there some way to split a sheet into a top part and
>>a bottom part were I can adjust the column widths independently?

Chaitanya_Sagar
4/17/2010 6:00:21 PM
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:05:31 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
wrote:

>Column widths and row heights are properties of the entire column and row
>and cannot be changed.

That's what I was afraid of.

>I hesitate to mention "merged cells" due to the problems they can cause.
>
>BUT........it is an option in limited cases.

I've used merged cells a bit, but usually when I want a header to span
several columns. I have run into several problems with them.

It seems like this would be a fairly common problem. I was hoping
there might be a solution.

>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:56:07 -0700, Prof Wonmug <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote:
>
>>I have a bunch of worksheets that have a top part and a bottom part.
>>The top part contains settings for various parmeters. The bottom part
>>is a table showing calculations based on those parameters.
>>
>>The problem is that the parameters often need different column widths
>>than the table. Is there some way to split a sheet into a top part and
>>a bottom part were I can adjust the column widths independently?
0
Prof
4/17/2010 6:36:10 PM
Hi

You could use the Text format> Centre across Selection to give the
appearance of wider column widths, without the dreaded Merge cells problems.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

Prof Wonmug wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:05:31 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
> wrote:
>
>> Column widths and row heights are properties of the entire column and row
>> and cannot be changed.
>
> That's what I was afraid of.
>
>> I hesitate to mention "merged cells" due to the problems they can cause.
>>
>> BUT........it is an option in limited cases.
>
> I've used merged cells a bit, but usually when I want a header to span
> several columns. I have run into several problems with them.
>
> It seems like this would be a fairly common problem. I was hoping
> there might be a solution.
>

>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>

>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:56:07 -0700, Prof Wonmug <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a bunch of worksheets that have a top part and a bottom part.
>>> The top part contains settings for various parmeters. The bottom part
>>> is a table showing calculations based on those parameters.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the parameters often need different column widths
>>> than the table. Is there some way to split a sheet into a top part and
>>> a bottom part were I can adjust the column widths independently?
0
Roger

how can I compare contents of columns in excel?
I have two excel files viz. file-A and -B. One of the columns of File-A contains chemical names which is also contained in one of the File-B columns.There are a lot more chemical names in the latter file than in the former. What I would like to do is to transfer additional pertinent information from columns in File-B to new columns in File-A on the basis of the chemical names found in File-A. At the end of the exercise I would have a file with the same number of chemicals but with more information. How can I do it? Your help would be much appreciated. Take a look at the =vlookup() ...

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

VC++ 6.0 dll can not access a network drive
Hi All, I have a VC 6.0 dll, which is called from one another exe. This dll in turn will execute couple of programs in a network with CreateProcess. When I ran the CreateProcess, my getlast error returned with error code 3 (directory not found). I opened a dos box and I was able to switch to the network drive without any problem. I checked and made sure the user has full permission to the drive where he is trying to access the files. The program is running under vista OS. The server is Windows 2K3. I wrote a simple console application in VC 6.0, which does nothing but do a lookup on a file o...

I can't get my letterhead to only appear on the first page of a l.
I can't get my letterhead to only appear on the first page of a letter. I have tried using "different first page", but the letterhead keeps deleting from the first page, but stays on the remainder of the pages. What am I doing wrong. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NumberingFrontMatter.htm (for 2003 and prior) or http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm for details on how to have different Headers and Footers, etc. in one document.Hope this helps DeanH "rlw" wrote: > I can't get my letterhead to only appear ...

A way to create sub-categories?

Should I Upgrade from 2000 to 2004 so I can use Pocket Money?
I currently use MS Money 2000 standard with no problems. I also have an iPaq 1945 that I'd like to use Pocket Money with, but can't since I'm using 2000 on the desktop. I have a paid copy of 2004 standard (came with new PC). Is it worth upgrading (converting the .mny file, having my bank 'upgrade' my profile to use online banking, etc.) to 2004 just so I can use Pocket Money and sync with my iPaq, which has Windows Mobile 2003? Any opinions? Is Pocket Money + desktop Money worth the hassle? Or, is Quicken + Pocket Quicken a better combination? I'd really l...

How to select multiple sheets using macro
Hi, I want to select multiple sheets using macro in the runtime. I tried recording the action and it gave the following code: Sheets(Array("Sheet1", "Sheet2", "Sheet3")).Select Actually i want to copy all the sheets in the current workbook and move it to a new workbook.. Hence the next line would be: Sheets(Array("Sheet1", "Sheet2", "Sheet3")).copy.. which would copy the selected sheets to a new workbook.. Now the problem is, the sheet names mentioned in the code are fixed,, whereas i want to select the sheets dynamically in...

Add Publish Column to Enterprise Template
I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? -- Carla Evans Presbyterian Health Plan Hi Carla, This worked for me. What error message(s) did you get? -- Thanks, Ben. Microsoft Most Valuable Professional http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/ "Carla Evans" wrote: > I've tried to add the Publish column set to the value of Yes to an Enterprise > project template but the column will not save. Any ideas? > -- > Carla Evans > Presbyterian Healt...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

Can CRM do this?
Hey, Just wondering if anyone know if CRM 1.2 is capable of the following, we are evaluating it. Currently we have loads of different systems managing our sales, invoices, maintenacnce agreements etc. merging them into one would be great. The big concern is our maintenance agreement with our customers. We support both hardware and software and we currently have a completely list of all hardware components which are asset tagged and put on the system, this way when a support call comes in we can link the call with the item, also and the end of the year we can assign a maintenance amount to eac...

When refreshed, some Pivot Table columns retain formatting, some d
I have not had trouble with retaining column widths and column heading formats (font size, word wrap, alignment) in Pivot Tabl. When refreshed, they retain formatting. Here's the weird part, when I add or insert a new data column into the Pivot Table by checking from field list, that new data column does not retain column heading formats (font size, word wrap and alignment settign) like the original columns do. It does however preserver its column width and number formatting. Why is that? How do I tell Excel to preserve column heading formats for newly added ones? I...

Can't add new columns
This has been a problem with my worksheets and those of others in my office, especially if converted from lotus 123 originally. When trying to insert new columns in a worksheet, get the error message: "To prevent possible loss of data, Excel cannot shift nonblank shells off the worksheet. Try to locate the last nonblank cell by pressing CRTL + END and delete or clear all cells in between the last cell and the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the last cell used. Or you can move the data to a new location and try again." Even when you do t...

Query regarding A,B,C char. width values returned in 16-bit and 32-bit OS
I am trying to retrieve individual character widths of a string (from a TrueType font) and I tried using GetCharWidth (which weirdly works for TrueType fonts too tho' MSDN says otherwise) and/or GetCharABCWidths to retrieve the A,B and C spacings. Please note that I have selected the TrueType font (hFont) into the Device Context (hDC). I used GetCharABCWidths. Problem is this: GetCharABCWidths returns correct A,B and C widths in Win 98 and incorrect (much lesser A,B and C widths such that the characters OVERLAP) in other 32-bit OS (NT, XP). The effect is seen across all TrueType fonts, th...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Can You Count This Way?
I have some cells with note type data: For ex: ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, Is there a way to count every item between the commas? Thanks. Hi try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Timothy Wright wrote: > I have some cells with note type data: > > For ex: > > ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, > > Is there a way to count every item between the commas? > > Thanks. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >try >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,&q...

Split transactions being filled in automatically
Hi I'm trying to use "split transactions" in the category area and I'm running into problems. eg; I enter eg. Walmart as the payee. As soon as I hit enter, the category section fills in as a "split" category --with all kinds of information that I had previously filled in--from a previously entered split transaction (ie probably the last entry I entered as a split for Walmart.) I then have to delete all the information that was entered and fill in the correct information. I have looked all over the place to change this "automatic fillin" but I c...

copy a workbook from other workbook with lot of sheets wit...
how to copy a workbook from other workbook with 10 worksheets with lot of macros. Last year our company had error with these kind of copied macros files. Please anyone help me to do it in the correct way. Thanks You can open the workbooks in question, press Alt + F11, in the project pane to the left you can see the macros (module) then just drag them to copy between workbooks, you can also copy and paste them as text (double click the module and a window will open with the code) and you can use macros to do it. Chip Pearson has a lot of info here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.ht...

Can Not Install Office 2010 Proof.cab Not Found
I have downloaded Office 2010, but can not installed it, since the proof.cab not found. The proofing.en-us folder only contain proof.msi. Anyone pls help me?!!! -- ranoldtj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ranoldtj's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/157577.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1274509.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Is there a way to Sort data by color in Excel?
I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH Bob Phillips "SRTUC" <SRTUC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5121232-FB1D-46AF-94F8-04B7EAA2D90C@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? You're gonna need a User defined function to get the value of a color. See Chip Pearson's site for a nice version: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Look for: Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell Then you could use that UDF in a separate colu...

Sizing the Chart Sheet using VBA
Hi all, I'm attempting some code that will take the height and width values from an active Word table cell, and then use them to adjust the page margins of an active Excel chart sheet, with the end result being both the Word cell and Excel chart sheet share identical dimensions. Unfortunately, the code seems a little beyond me. Is it possible? Any help (or code) much appreciated ... Best wishes to all, Rich ...

tax can not change
Any one come across this situation You go to manager -database-item-properties Change the tax id = none Select ok Re-open and the tax is still assigned rms ver 2.0.0105 Administrator account With all access ? thanks "hozay" <hozay@jmmpr.com> wrote in message news:46D59D16-77DE-4139-AF9A-182178DD7D60@microsoft.com... > Any one come across this situation > You go to manager -database-item-properties > Change the tax id = none > Select ok > Re-open and the tax is still assigned > rms ver 2.0.0105 > Administrator account > With all acce...

Book with 365 sheets??
I thought I would create a workbook that contains 365 sheets (one sheet for each day of the week) that will contain rows of daily numerical data. However, if my workbook has 365 tabs, wouldn't that seem a bit too clunky or ineffecient??? Does anybody have any design ideas for a single workbook that would contain/operate on 365 sheets which could cover an entire year period??? Thank you! What exactly do you hope to gain by having 365 sheets that a one worksheet (or maybe 12) couldn't accomplish with some pivot tables? -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Robe...

Eliminating a split
I have a spreadsheet that every time I go to the specific sheet, it goes to cell T21 and has a split. I have removed the split, gone to A1, saved and closed. When I come back, and look at the sheet, it appears OK. If I click on another sheet and then come back again to the sheet that should have no split -- there it is again! Any help would be appreciated. Maybe you have an event macro trying to help. If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it still happen? You may be able to see some code under the worksheet module (rightclick on the worksheet tab and select view code). ...