Is There A Method Or Software By Which To Locate New Entries In 2nd Excel Worksheet

Hello,

I obtain, every other day, a single Excel Worksheet, usually having close to
25,000 cells of data.

Two days later, I acquire another worksheet, which contains almost all of
the previous sheet's data.

The difference between the two is that the second sheet will include cells
that did not appear anywhere in the first one.

Further, the inclusion of the cells in the second sheet will be at random
locations. In other words, if there are 10 new cells, they will not appear
immediately one after the other.

The new cells never appear either at the very top or bottom of the
worksheet; if they did, they would be very easy to identify.

Is there a way using Excel, Open Office (which I have never used) or another
software that will identify and/or export the cells in the second sheet that
did not appear in the first one?

Additionally, though slightly less important, is there any means by which to
identify those cells in the first sheet that do not appear in the second?

Thanks.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There are a few ways I know to compare values in two worksheets, but I'm not
sure if any would work for you.

#1.  There are ways to compare two worksheets (cell by cell--A1 with A1, X99
with X99, ...).
Look at Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's compare program:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm
look for compare.xla

But that doesn't sound like it would work for you.

#2.  There are ways to compare two worksheets when each row/record has a unique
key.  You could use =index(match()) or =vlookup() or a macro that does this for
you.

But you haven't shared enough to know if this would work (what column is the key
(in each worksheet), what columns need to be compared).

#3.  There are programs that do text comparisons between plain old text files.
MSWord is one of those programs.

You could save the files as text files (.csv or .txt or .prn???) and then use
MSWord to compare the two text files.

This may work for you.  It shouldn't be too difficult/time consuming to test.

--

Dave Peterson
0

This transaction is being edited in POP transaction entry window
Am getting the above message trying to edit an existing purchase order. No one is actually modifying this PO. How can I fix this? I have looked in TK for the above error message and find nothing. We also get the Message in Receiving, ERROR: Editing PO; cant receive or return against. this message is not in TK either. thanks! -- Doug Sorry for the late response. I just learned yesterday that these forums existed. Sometimes if a client crashes while in a PO, it leaves them listed in a table that keeps track of who is in what. Look in your DYNAMICS database at SY00800 and SY00801. ...

Repair software recommendations
An outlook 2007 pst file is corrupt, and we have to retrieve as muc info as possible from it. scanpst.exe doesn't fix it. It is 1.2 Gb i size. Our focus is primarily the contacts and calendar, but any/al information recovered has value. There are a lot of different software repair tools (shareware an commercial) out there, but no one seems to rate them. If you have first-hand experience using these tools good or bad, pleas tell me what you used and how well it worked with your 2007 pst recover efforts. I'm not looking for shills for products -- just real worl experiences so we c...

New toolbar, no pull-downs
Am I the only one who does NOT like the new method of accessing features in 2007? And it's prevalent in ALL KINDS of software (AutoCAD comes to mind, but has an option to turn the old pull-downs back on at least). I know I'm getting older and all, but have been using Word since 2.0 - I do NOT like the new toolbar setup. Nor do I like the lack of control (auto updates of styles can't be turned off, etc.) Please, Microsoft... for 2010, how about a "legacy option"? How about giving us control of the software back in case we need to turn off some of these...

Assignment Details View Not Showing Timephased daily hours entry v
Looking for an answer to this. Tasks on couple of the projects on My Tasks list allows me to go into the Assignment Details page and see the Timephased work, including a weekly by day view that I can use to update hours. For a new project, the Assignment Details page is showing only Total Work, Completed Work, and Start, Finish and REmaining Work. The daily view of work, actual work and overtime fields are not there. Please advise. Hi kahuna, Sounds to me like this project where you want to update the task has a different progress method. Project Server allows you to track your...

Excel 2003 seems to sort column of date, some by month & some by y
Hi, I inherited an Access 2003 database where I reformatted all the date to mm/dd/yyyy. I then copied it to Excel 2003 and sorted by date. For some strange reason, I ended up with 2 sections, 1 sorted by the mm and the other by the yyyy. I reformatted the column by date but it still has the same problem. Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you. Probably the section sorted on mm was not recognized as dates and sorted as text. Maybe your input was in dd/mm/yyyy format, on a machine wuth US settings. Then 13/01/2001, meaning Jan 13 2001, but will not be recognized as date be...

How do I time/date stamp an entry in a note from a calendar entry?
Using Outlook 2003. I have calendar entry "Call so and so...." I have called this person before and want to time date this call above the other one. I can enter it manually however other programs I have used wil do this automatically. Surely Outlook can do this? in outlook 2003 you need to use a utility or enter it manually. You can also use VBA to do it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.out...

Date command in Excel headers
How do I enter a date command in a header that displays only the current year and not the complete date? So the value in the header is 2010 or is it 1/1/2010 formatted to show only the year? If it is only the year then what date were you hoping for. What formula did you want to use against the date? -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Doug" wrote: > How do I enter a date command in a header that displays only the current year > and not the complete date? Jim, I want to insert only the year, but I want it to update with each new year. I use the same spreadsh...

Exporting journal entries from one computer to another
I've exported the contacts successfully from Outlook 98 to a file, moved the file to my second computer, and imported the file into Outlook 2000. However, I'm not having any luck doing the same thing with the Journal [entries}. Please help. Thanks. Journal entries must be opened, not imported. Importing will lose most of the useful information. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding n...

New time system in decimal format
My Dear Fellowmen, How would you like to express time of day in decimal? How about expressing the elapsed time in sports, such as athletics, swimming, skiing, etc. in decimal? The Aristean Decimal Time makes it simple and easy to conveniently express time in decimal. Not sexagesimal but decimal. Not by multiplying or dividing using factors such as 24 and 60. With time expressed as decimal, you just have to move the decimal point to change from one unit to another. Or you can do arithmetic calculations on the elapsed times. Two issues are addressed: 1. Clock time or time of day issue 2...

Integration Manager and Journal Entry
I am using Integration Manager 7.05 with GP 7.5. My source file contains two batches having five transaction for each batch. When Integration Manager is run; it processes all 10 records successfully without any errors or warnings. 1. What should be my next step to make sure all transactions are now in GP database? 2. When I go to Master Posting and POST the integrated batch; it posts successfully but I don't see its records anywhere. What do I need to do? Thanks Sean: Before you post the batches you can review the transactions in the batches by opening the Batch Entry window, se...

How do I lock all cells in Excel except 2 which I need unlocked?
Alex, By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, the go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy, but it will work for most people . If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells you want to lock and go ...

In new Office 2007 EXCEL, can more the 8 IF statements be used?
In EXCEL 2003 was limited to 8 IF statements (or other functions). Does EXCEL 2007 allow more than 8? Just started using EXCEL 2007 yesterday. Hi, You can have up to 64 in 2007 but there is almost always a better way of doing it than creating a monster formula nested that deep. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "MORRIPJ" wrote: > In EXCEL 2003 was limited to 8 IF statements (or other functions). Does EXCEL > 2007 allow mo...

Compare Data across worksheets, list differences in 3rd sheet
I have looked for this solution and I=92m sure its there but I have been unable to locate it Basically I have two worksheets, identical format, I would like to compare the rows of data in each sheet and place the found data into a 3rd blank worksheet. This can be reduced to comparing 1 column in each sheet i.e. Part Number but I would require the whole row of data to be placed in the 3rd sheet, with some sort of Identifier to which sheet the data came from. I=92m not sure how clear this is, if further clarification is required please ask. Thanking you in anticipation Check out Vlookup http:/...

Looking for FAX software FREE TRIAL
Hi... This is slightly off the NEWS topic, but I have spent 4 days searching this. I desperately need to fax something and have no options. I had fax stuff on my PC, but that PC is gone. I have an iMAC OS 9.2.2 and a good Epson scanner... but no fax software for this computer. is there any FREE TRIAL software for my system that is FULLY FUNCTIONAL TO TRY ? Please help as soon as you can... Thanks in advance, Kimi You'd be best off searching the web via google or somesuch, though someone may come along with a suggestion. Try different combinations of varying phrases, here's ...

Software Vendor says its is a windows 7 problem
Im not sure where to go with this question since Windows 7 Does not seem to have a discussion group. I'm working with a program called PHP Form Wizard (www.tools4php.com) and after entering data into the program, when I click to execute the program, the following error message appears: Run-time error '339' Component 'SCGrid.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. Note: Among other thigns, I have used RegCure to try to solve the problem, but nothing is working and the software vendor says it is a problem wit...

sorting and getting calculations in other columns use new rows
I have got a worksheet where column A is the date, but not in order. Other columns have finance information, and contain calculations using data from other cells. eg A12=10/10/2005 B12=C25*1.175 If I now sort on column A (the date column) I find that B12 refers to some other cell in column C, whereas I want it to take the value from where C25 has now moved to. What am I doing wrong? (hope this makes sense) Thanks Rod Hi You need to mark your whole range of data before choosing Sort, then the other data will move in line with the sorted column(s) Regards Roger Govier reades wrot...

Merge data from multiple worksheets
I am using excel 2000 and have 4 worksheets in the same workbook. Each worksheet is formatted with a yearly calendar. This is a vacation calender for 4 different positions in my department. All 4 worksheets are exactly the same except for the names of the people on vacation in the cells. I would like to have a way to combine these 4 worksheets into one without the lengthy process of creating a 5th sheet with formulas in each cell inhabitted by names. I would prefer to have a seperate workbook that was linked in some way. All suggestions are appreciated. Hi, Not knowing what your detail calen...

a new approach
"You have to go to school and waste years and money before you can make a decent income" bullshit. This is a no bullshit approach. The biggest moron in the world can make money. I'll show you step by step in specific detail how. I will prove to you it works. It's so easy and obvious you will either laugh or cry when I reveal my secrets! Paypal $20 to itsjusttooeasy@gmail.com Within a day you can be started. Thanks, and you're welcome! Joe ...

Last letter in Excel cell is truncated when printed.
Excel 2000, column and height are set so all lines in a cell are viewable. Everything looks fine in Excel and print preview. But when I print, the very last letter in every cell is chopped in half. (e.g. so an 'n' looks like an 'r'. I can not find a difference between other text cells that are working fine. Are you in the default font and fontsize that you set up in tools, options, general. though it probably shouldn't make a difference. What you see on the screen is based on your printer drivers. I guess all you can do is adjust to cell border. You mi...

Viewing New Mail While in Calendar
I have just gotten rid of Franklin Covey software for Outlook because it really seemed to bog down my memory. But I did like being able to always have my calendar in front of me while also seeing wheter or not my mail folder had any new messages. While in the calendar view is there a way to see new mail other than the small icon at the bottom of the screen? Right click the Calendar folder in your folder list and select Open in new window. Once you've done that I find it's a good idea to turn off the navigation pane in that new window so you don't accidentally navigate ou...

Query criteria based on table entries
I have a report based on a query to report our "10 worst" customers based on a couple of factors. Certain customers however are just buying our off quality products at cheap prices, and should not be included in our "10 worst" analysis. I have added "Not In ("custname1","custname2" and so on) to my query criteria line and that works fine, but for future ease of upkeep I thought I would make a table of customers to not include in the "10 worst" query and reference that, however I cannot get it to work so far. How do I refer...

(New Object).Method
Is there a simpler acceptable syntax for (New Class).Method than With New Class .Method End With In VB.NET you can use Call Call (New Class).Method but this syntax is not acceptable in VB6 (with or without the () at the end). FYI I am looking for VB6 and VB.NET answers, if they are different. (Using Call in VB.NET is "acceptable", I'm just wondering if there is an alternative syntax I haven't thought of.) BTW Note that if you define an "identity" function: Function Identity(ByVal C As Class) As Class Identity = C End Function (And...

ReadBinHex method
Hi, I'm trying to read binary information from an XMLTextReader and to save it to a .jpg file, using a FileStream. I don't want to use an XmlDocument because of performance reasons. But the only example code I could find is: byte[] binhex = new byte[1000]; do { binhexlen = reader.ReadBinHex(binhex, 0, 50); for (int i=0; i < binhexlen; i++) Console.Write(binhex[i]); } while (reader.Name == "BinHex"); Is there any way to discover the length of the binary data on beforehand? Or can someone give me a hint on how to complete my code her...

New page after 15 records
Hi All, I have a report that lists payments to be made through the BACS system direct with our bank. When I print the report, I need it to only have a maximum of 15 records on each page with subtotals after each batch of 15 records. How can I achieve this easily?? -- K Hogwood-Thompson It's a bit difficult to do this without understanding your table structure. I would create a column in your report's record source query that returns a grouping value. For instance if you wanted to group the Orders table in Northwind into 15 orders based on the OrderID, your report's records...

hidden character in Excel
Can someone tell me what character comes along at the end of a cell of excel data when you paste a column of data into another application? I've tried to use the vb.net replace on the data with chr(10), also 13, 9,11,12,13,30, 31, 160, 182, 172, 129, 141, 143, 144, and 157. I haven't hit it so far. The Excel 2003 functionality of viewing codes (tools - options - international) seems to be gone in 2007. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! I don't know if this will help in your situation but in VBA if I am trying to ascertain what an unprintable character code is...