Is there a formula to place a value into another cell?

Is there a formula to place a value into another cell?

For example, can I have a formula in cell 'A2' that places the value
"AAA" into cell 'A1'?

Thanks!

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

No, a cell can only "pull" information. You would need a macro to do
what you want.

chillynois@yahoo.com wrote:

> Is there a formula to place a value into another cell?
>
> For example, can I have a formula in cell 'A2' that places the value
> "AAA" into cell 'A1'?
>
> Thanks!

0
birelan (531)
8/1/2007 9:39:48 PM
chillynois,

Technically, you could come up with a UDF (user defined function) that could
accomplish this, but it is probably not a good idea.  It is very similar to
coding a macro though.

I would suggest that you use an IF() function in A1, based on the results of
a formula in A2 to accomplish this.......something like:

=IF(A2="Some test condition","AAA","")

HTH,

Conan Kelly

<chillynois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a formula to place a value into another cell?
>
> For example, can I have a formula in cell 'A2' that places the value
> "AAA" into cell 'A1'?
>
> Thanks!

Conan,

A user-defined function can't put anything into a cell, other than to return a value into
the formula in the cell that contains it.  Calls to UDFs live in cell formulas.   A sub (as
opposed to a function) could put stuff into a cell.

Both are considered macros.  Either will give you the macro warning when you open a file
containing them.  A function can't change a cell, but try putting
kill "book1.xls"
in a function, and it'll happily delete that file when the function is called from a cell.
Not useful, because the next time it appears in a cell, and gets calculated, it'll produce
an error value, because the file is no longer there.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

    Note: Top-posting has been the norm here.
    Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
    But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
    already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
    When in Rome...
"Conan Kelly" <CTBarbarinNOSPAM@msnNOSPAM.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> chillynois,
>
> Technically, you could come up with a UDF (user defined function) that could accomplish
> this, but it is probably not a good idea.  It is very similar to coding a macro though.
>
> I would suggest that you use an IF() function in A1, based on the results of a formula in
> A2 to accomplish this.......something like:
>
> =IF(A2="Some test condition","AAA","")
>
> HTH,
>
> Conan Kelly
>

> <chillynois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a formula to place a value into another cell?
>>
>> For example, can I have a formula in cell 'A2' that places the value
>> "AAA" into cell 'A1'?
>>
>> Thanks!

0
someone798 (944)
8/1/2007 11:01:20 PM
"Earl Kiosterud" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote...
>Conan,
>
>A user-defined function can't put anything into a cell, other than to
>return a value into the formula in the cell that contains it. Calls to
>UDFs live in cell formulas. . . .

Technically, Conan is correct, though at the least he didn't mention that it
could only be done from a udf by spawning a separate process via Shell or
Windows API calls that would wait a short amount of time, then take control
of Excel via Automation using the equivalent of a GetObject call, and make
the changes to the other cells.

Not easy. Not robust. But possible.

0
hrlngrv1 (375)

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Value from a closed workbook
Hi How can I extract a value from a closed workbook? I've tried with the 'Indirect' function but have since learnt that this doesn't work when the wookbook is closed i need something like A1="C:\folder\<filename> TIA Hi Anthony I have examples on my site http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony Slater" <AnthonySlater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3790E107-1BA5-40F2-853A-B31BC04FECF3@microsoft.com... > Hi > > How can I extract a value from a closed workbook? &...

Auto-populate comboBox with value from Row Source
I am a novice to intermediate Access 2003 user with some VBA experience. I have a form with 3 combo boxes. All three combo boxes have queries which return a single column, as their row source. Upon an update to the first combo box- the row source for the second Combo Box is requeried based on the value from combo box 1. Is it possible to have the (2nd) combo box display (auto-populate) the first value of the resulting (re)query? The drop-downs function correctly based on the queries. I am trying to avoid the user needing to use the drop-down when only one value is returned from ...

Removing a date by inputting a newer one in another cell
I have office excel 2007. I am a fairly new user, I have a worksheet which maintains and monitors the movement of various units, and is controlled by quantity and dates. What I would like to do is write a formula that will remove the ordered date when I input the new start date, which would be the newer date. So far I have not been able to make this work. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Many Thanks Mike You could use a worksheet_change event that clearscontents of the original cell. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com ...

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Problem getting values in iframe
Hi, I have placed an iframe to the account form. This iframe calls an .aspx page that is also placed on the same server as the CRM. I am trying to get an value from the CRM form to the .aspx page in the iFrame. my function that I call upon "onLoad": <script language="javascript"> function GetSomeValues() { document.getElementById('TextBox1').value = parent.document.forms[0].all.name.DataValue; } </script> This fails! I get the message: "Access denied!" Is there any setting in the CRM I have forgotten to turn on or off?? Can a...

Can offset be used in this formula?

Trying to make part of an output in another cell italicized.
Hello all, I have Excel from Office XP and am using it on Windows XP Home Edition I'm working on a program where users enter text in various cells. Fo example: A B 1 Name: ------ 2 Date: ------ Then the text that they enter is displayed in another cell all togethe using the following formula: =$B$4&", "&$B$5&". "&"("&$B$6&"). "&$B$7&". "&$B$8&" "&$B$9&"("&$B$10&"), "&$B$11&"-"&$B$12&"." I'...

Forward email arrived to another
My client is having problem in setting the Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.3821) to forward the email when it arrives with Rules. The Rule has been setup to 'Apply this rule after message arrives with 'statement' in the subject or body, forward it to 'another one', using Tools -> Rules Wizard. Unfortunately the Rule won't work automatically. When an email arrives with 'statement' in either the subject or body, Outlook 2000 won't do anything. However it will forward if I go into the Rules Wizard and click the Run Now button. My client is running Exchange 2000....

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

How to calculate how many cells have a value of less than 3?
What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be anywhere from 1-10) and want to be able to easily get the total number of entries that are either 1,2, or 3. Thanks... =countif(a1:b99,"<=3") is one way. FISH wrote: > > What formula can you use to get the total number of entries from within a > range of cells that contain any value 3 or less? > > I have a large numbers of results in a spreadsheet (results can be any...

Set all check boxes values on form
Hi everyone, I have a table with 2 fields: Field1(Text box) and Fied2(Check box) in a form. What i want is a command button to set all Field2 check box to YES, and a command button to set all Field2 check box to NO Could anyone help me please???? -- Thanks, Sorry if my english isn''t correct, but I''m from Potugal ;) Emanuel Violante Galeano In the Click event procedure of the command button: Dim strSql As String If Me.Dirty Then Me.Dirty = False 'Save first strSql = "UPDATE [Table1] SET [Field2] = TRUE WHERE [Field2] = FALSE;" dbEngin...

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Count formula within a named range.

Including a formula in a path name.

Inventory Values Copied from Old into New Items
Guys, When I use the Copy function to create new items from older items, the invenory values are carried over. In other words, the On Hand, Committed... field values under the Inventory tab are the same as the source item. Now, this cannot be correct behaviour, since a new item is independent onto its own, with its inventory quantities totally unrelated to the item from which it was originally copied. Anybody has come across this before? How can I set this right? Thanks, This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C92EF5.0E1EBB10 Content-Type: text/plai...

FORMULA #14

How do you merge cells with multiple data values?
How do you merge cells with multiple data values? Hi basically you can't ... and it's not a good idea to merge cells anyway- they cause problems "down the track" with sorting & filtering & other things. If you want the text from two or more cells in one, you can concatenate it using a formula =A1&" " & B1 will concatenate the contents of A1 and B1 (with a space between) into the cell with the formula you can then copy / edit - paste special, values this formula to turn it into a real value and then you can delete the original fields. But as f...