Interrupting long calculations in Excel? Hi all, I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA. Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA program. But I found du

Interrupting long calculations in Excel?

Hi all,

I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA.

Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA
program.

But I found due to too long running process, the Excel window stop to
respond for very long time,

besically it's like "not responding" situation with "not responding"
on the windows title bar...

It doesn't seem to accept any more key strokes, not to say ESC or CTRL
+BREAK.

What can I do to rein/stop my program?

Thanks
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try this to speed up execution

Application.ScreenUpdating = FALSE
At the begining of the code and

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.Calculation =XlCalculationAutomatic

At the end of the code

--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> Interrupting long calculations in Excel?
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA.
>
> Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA
> program.
>
> But I found due to too long running process, the Excel window stop to
> respond for very long time,
>
> besically it's like "not responding" situation with "not responding"
> on the windows title bar...
>
> It doesn't seem to accept any more key strokes, not to say ESC or CTRL
> +BREAK.
>
> What can I do to rein/stop my program?
>
> Thanks

On Jul 30, 7:30=A0pm, Barb Reinhardt
<BarbReinha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Try this to speed up execution
>
> Application.ScreenUpdating =3D FALSE
> Application.Calculation =3D xlCalculationManual
> At the begining of the code and
>
> Application.ScreenUpdating =3D True
> Application.Calculation =3DXlCalculationAutomatic
>
> At the end of the code
>
> --
> HTH,
> Barb Reinhardt
>
> "LunaMoon" wrote:
> > Interrupting long calculations in Excel?
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA.
>
> > Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA
> > program.
>
> > But I found due to too long running process, the Excel window stop to
> > respond for very long time,
>
> > besically it's like "not responding" situation with "not responding"
> > on the windows title bar...
>
> > It doesn't seem to accept any more key strokes, not to say ESC or CTRL
> > +BREAK.
>
> > What can I do to rein/stop my program?
>
> > Thanks

Thanks. The purpose of this is to allow me to interrupt, or speed up
the code?

As stated in the original reply, it should help speed up execution.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"LunaMoon" wrote:

> On Jul 30, 7:30 pm, Barb Reinhardt
> <BarbReinha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Try this to speed up execution
> >
> > Application.ScreenUpdating = FALSE
> > Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
> > At the begining of the code and
> >
> > Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> > Application.Calculation =XlCalculationAutomatic
> >
> > At the end of the code
> >
> > --
> > HTH,
> > Barb Reinhardt
> >
> > "LunaMoon" wrote:
> > > Interrupting long calculations in Excel?
> >
> > > Hi all,
> >
> > > I am having a very long calculation in Excel using VBA.
> >
> > > Of course I know I can hit ESC or CTRL+BREAK to interrupt the VBA
> > > program.
> >
> > > But I found due to too long running process, the Excel window stop to
> > > respond for very long time,
> >
> > > besically it's like "not responding" situation with "not responding"
> > > on the windows title bar...
> >
> > > It doesn't seem to accept any more key strokes, not to say ESC or CTRL
> > > +BREAK.
> >
> > > What can I do to rein/stop my program?
> >
> > > Thanks
>
> Thanks. The purpose of this is to allow me to interrupt, or speed up
> the code?

Lost the excel menu list at top of worksheet
The list starting with file, edit view is no longer at the top of my screen. If I use the control panel it still will not correct any way of deliting the menu files and reloading them? Rob, Go into the VBA Editor (Alt + F11) Select View/Immediate Window An "Immediate" window should appear at the bottom of the screen. Type the following (or cut and paste) and press enter: Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Reset Then type (or cut and paste the following) and press enter: Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled = True If the above does...

Export excel to onenote
Is there a way to Pull in or export an Excel spreadsheet into OneNote and retain the cell formating and formulas? -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > Is there a way to > Pull in or export an Excel spreadsheet into OneNote and retain the cell > formating and formulas? Some text formatting but no formulas. There is definitely no OLE functionality in ON. Bernd ...

numeric overload error message in mail merge with publisher 98 and Excel 97
I am using publisher 98 and doing a mail-merge on an 8 1/2 11 sheet which has 4 separate post cards on the page (each post card has a text box to insert the name and address for the mail merge) The mail merge will start to print and then just stop and the error message will come up that says "numeric overload" and it will stop printing. I then start it over from where it stopped and it will print another page and then stop - then I can't get it to go again. There are about 170 contacts on the address list in Excel. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to resolve ...

Exporting to Excel
When we export from smartlist to Excel, it opens a new "instance" of Excel every time. This is not desirable since we already have a workbook open that we need to copy the exported worksheet into, but it doesn't show up as an option to move because the exported workbook opens in a new instance every time. This did not happen before applying GP SP2 . . . but now it does. Any ideas how to change this behavior so that the exported workbook opens in the same instance of Excel that is already open? -- Brandon ================== Presentations Direct - http://www.presentatio...

How to exclude conditional calculated no or zero values from a cha
Picture this: a chart for 30 days and 30 values. The values come from a different table (sheet1!A:G) using the following formula =IF(VLOOKUP(J11;Sheet1!A:G;2;FALSE)="";"";VLOOKUP(J11;Sheet1!A:G;2;FALSE)). If the table on sheet1 has no value (""), then the a.m. formula also displays no value (""). The chart however does show a zero value, which i do not need. Is there a possibility to not show this zero or no value in a chart? Thanks for your help! Hi, Use the formula NA() instead of "". Here are a couple of pages on the subject. http...

Excel Headers while scrolling down
Hello, I have a huge spreadsheet with many header columns. As I scroll down the spreadsheet, I come to certain columns and am not sure what they are. So I have to scroll all the way back up - see the column name, then go back to my original spot. Is there a way to make the column names 'float' on top of every page - so the headers are always visible? Thanks, Tmuld. They won't "float" but you could: Click in cell A2 (or, one cell below your first heading). Then, Windows | Freeze Panes. tj "Tavish Muldoon" wrote: > Hello, > > I have a huge spre...

use replace command to change the contents of formulas
Can the "edit replace" command be used to replace text contained within formula's. I have a worksheet with many many rows of formulas all of which are linked to another worksheet. All of the formula's look something like: =OFFSET(gl0910admin!$A$1,MATCH(4500411,gl0910admin!$A$2:$A$2000,0),7) I want use an edit replace to reporduce the entire set of formulas but change the worksheet source name. (the word admin would change to sales) Thank you. Yes you can -- _______________________ Naz, London "Jordan" wrote: > Can the "edit replace" comma...

Cell does not calculate automaticaly
A cell contains a linked formula to other cells. The destination cell will only show the information from the source cell if the destination cell is "double clicked" and the OK icon is clicked. The Options / Calculations / "Automatic" option button is enabled. This problem does not occur with other files. The file with the problem is over 11 meg in size, where the other files are less than 6 meg. HELP! Hi do you see the text 'Calculate' in your statusbar and does hitting F9 help?. If yes it could be that you just have to many formulas to allow automatic ...

Calculate Difference b/e 2 dates.
How can i calculate difference b/w two dates: Date1 Date2 30-JUL-2005 23:43:23 01-AUG-2005 18:10:01 Result format should be Hours:Minutes:Seconds -- schare ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scharee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2582 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39216 Assuming your dates are in A1 and A2, in A3 enter this formula: =A2-A1 and format this cell as Custom>[h]:mm:ss Your example returns:...

Do we need to have license for VS 2005 when it is used with e conn
Hi, We have purchased e connect 9.0. We also need to use Visual studio 2005 along with econnect .Let me know whether we need to get license for Visual studio also at the time when we purchased e connect 9.0. (or) Should we get the license for Visual studio alone. A suggestion wud be appreciated. Thanx in advance, Kiran. There is a version of VS2005 that comes with SQL Server - that is what is used to build things like Integration Services and REporting Services REports etc. HS -- www.DynExtra.com A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics Community Featuring FAQs, File Exchange and ...

Last digit of long numbers changes to 0
Using Excel 97, I'm using a very basic spreadsheet to log some files fo a business. The reference numbers for the files are all 16 digit long. I've set the column to number, but everytime I enter one of th reference numbers the last digit is being automatically changed to a 0 Does anyone know how to prevent this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Excel is limited to 15 digits of precision. If you want to enter more than that, you need to first format the cells as Text, or type an apostrophe before the number. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pear...

how do i set up a list of customers in excell for mail merge
I am looking to set up a data base of 100 customers. I need to be able to pull the data from the spreed sheet to make lables and to do a mail merge letter. What would be the best way to set that up useing word and excell Create mailing labels by merging an address list Step 1: Create the main document Click New Blank Document on the Standard toolbar. On the Tools menu, click Mail Merge. Under Main document, click Create, and then click Mailing Labels. Click Active Window. The active document becomes the main document. Step 2: Open or create the data source In the Mail Merge Helper...

To Bernard or anyone who can help
Thanks for your reply Berbard. I can make a column or a bar chart without worrying about the order but here, I want to make the chart in order of score, in this case from highest to lowest but want to keep my spread sheet looking AB,B,C,D . . . . No, I don't have 4 entries. I have 32 entries. Hope this is sufficient. Thanks again for the prompt reply. Awaiting another reply Thanks Dharsh "Bernard Liengme" wrote: > Are you able to make a Bar or Column chart without worrying about the order? > Tell us the answer, and I will show you how to order the data. Can we ...

Calculation Order problem. #2
Bump... sry about the bump, but i'm desperate for a solution to this. -- ICE9 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ICE9's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=265139 ...

On an Excel Worksheet I want to view column headings as I scroll .
I am setting up a worksheet in Excel. I have column headings that I want to be able to view as I scroll down the page(s). How do I do this? Sharon activate a cell in column A in the row below the heading rows and select Window | Freeze panes If you select a cell in a column other than column A you can freeze the row "headings" too so when you scroll to the right it leaves the left most columns in view. Regards Trevor "sharon" <sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2133CE11-4D74-4696-8F94-E6D57EE755AD@microsoft.com... >I am setting up a ...

Excel 2003
When I go to File --> Open, there is no option on the left to select Favorites. Had this option in Excel 2000. Is this possible in Excel 2003? Thanks. You can select any folder you want in the Open dialog and then under Tools pick Add to My Places. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA202B12-031B-44DA-904E-155722C5B641@microsoft.com... | When I go to File --> Open, there is no option on the left to select | Favorites. Had this option in Excel 2000. | | Is this possible in Excel 2003? | | Thanks. Excellent....

Lost folders in hotmail after using Outlook Connector
I downloaded outlook connector and all of my hotmail items transferred to my outlook fine. However, I just noticed that all of my folders from hotmail were also synched to outlook, and have disappeared from hotmail. I still have the emails in my outlook (2007), however I really need to synch the emails back into my hotmail account - as there are folders on there that I cannot lose so that's why I stick with hotmail - to have web-based storage for these emails should something ever happen to my laptop. How can I get these folders to appear back into my hotmail account? I p...

Interrupts?
Not seen much about interrupts, and not even entirely sue what they are. But I've noticed - coincidentally or not - that since I did the delete of MS Update software to get back to using the less processor hogging Windows Update, I keep seeing interrupts flare up to a large percentage of the cpu. This is on an old Inspiron 2600 laptop with only 260 meg of memory at the moment. It was recently updated to an 80gig WD hard drive, which seems to be running well, and this is with XPHome SP3 all up to date. There seems to be no way of seeing what these interrupts are for, as they...

autofilled on excel
How do you get autofill to work. I'm following the directions and nothing is happening!!! Hi Susan, What is in the initial cell< and are you filling down or across? Regards - Dave. Oops, ignore the < thingie. ...

Hi 11-16-07

Calculate only if...
Hi I currently have a spreadsheet that has this formula in the Q column =IF($D3=0,"",OR(NETWORKDAYS($D3,$F3)=1,+NETWORKDAYS($D3,$F3)=2) It only calculates the networkdays if D3 is empty, but now I woul like it to calculate networkdays if both D3 and L3 is empty. How do adjust the formula to check the additional L3 cell try =IF(AND($D3=0,$L3=0),"",OR(NETWORKDAYS($D3,$F3)=1,+NETWORKDAYS($D3,$F3)=2)) where the AND(... formula works in the same way as OR(... "cribology - ExcelForums.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I currently have a spreadsheet that has this ...

Excel Autofilter
Does the autofilter feature have a limit to how much it can search? I have a jobfile list over 2500 entries and only seems to serach about half of them. It there a setting to increase this search capablity if there is a default limit or a workaround? Thanks An autofilter list can only display the first 1000 items. See http://contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html In article <34895AAF-ED7C-4827-8044-FAC97C9BCFD1@microsoft.com>, "Kschu" <Kschu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does the autofilter feature have a limit to how much it can search? I have a &g...

Use if functions with dates
Apologies if this is a duplicate - I posted a question yesterday, forgot to ask for notification of replies, and I can't find my original question! I have a spreadsheet which, for each row, has a payment due date and a payment value. I then have a series of columns headed Sep-09, Oct-09, Nov-09 etc, and need to copy the payment value into the column for its relevant due month. I have tried using IF formulas but am struggling to make it work with dates. The due date can be any day of a month, and the actual date behind the column headings is 01/09/2009. I essentially need ...

updating a dataset in memory... how can I do it ????
Hi, I am normally use to selecting, updating and deleting from a real SQL Server table, and have no problems with this. Perhaps I am just having a mental moment, but I have created a datatable in my program, and I want to update the datatable itself, and not the SQL data itself. (as the sql data is just temp data). So normally I would create my sql statement, and execute it against a open sql connection object I have already created. With a dataset, its really in memory, so how can I go about updating that, as there is no connection as such(like to a sql server) The sqlc...

how do you calculate "dividend yield using Excel?
Can you calculate "dividend yield using Excel? If so, how? There are a couple different approaches to dividend yields. The mos straight forward and simple is just dividing the annual dividend for company by the current stock price. This would be a simple divisio issue. It can also be calculated over some period by using th dividends over that period divided by either the beginning (typical) o average during that period and then annualizing. Don't think you nee any special function here, but if you are doing the second metho above, you can actually use the Yield function assumin...