Intermediate Excel 2003

Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills.  I have a
reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation
but I wish to develop things a little further?

Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

Roger

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Lots of suggestions at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills.  I have a
> reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation
> but I wish to develop things a little further?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
>
> Roger

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
11/28/2007 8:51:14 PM
What Excel skills are you trying to improve?  Some of the ones I'm
familiar with:

Source of many good ideas, and a quick/easy read, is Excel Hacks
(O'Reilly).

General features, get something like Excel 2003 Bible (Walkenbach) or
Inside Out (MS Press) - also Learn Excel from Mr. Excel (Jelen).

Formulas, get something like Excel 2003 Formulas (Walkenbach).

Programming, get Excel 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference (Bullen et al)
or Power Programming (Walkenbach).

For any other specifics, you can find tons of books, anywhere from
financial or statistical analysis, to application development, to
"best business practices", PivotTable Recipes (Dalgleish) and
PivotTables Data Crunching (Jellen), Charts (Walkenbach), and so
forth.  My best suggestion is to pick one, and stick with it - work
through the examples, apply them to your work or school, and
experiment.  Then, move on.

On Nov 28, 3:20 pm, "roger lewis" <rogerle...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills.  I have a
> reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation
> but I wish to develop things a little further?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
>
> Roger

0
iasafiev (57)

Excel Books
Can sks recommend a good book, or books, on Excel. I have an IT background and have been using Excel for several months now - so I am certainly not a beginner but definitely not an expert. I have also, for a similar length of time, been writing VBA macros some quite complex but again am no expert. I wish to expand and extend my skills in both vanilla Excel and in VBA for Excel - so suggested book(s) would be appreciated - ideally with a reference content. TIA Chris Debra Dalgleish has a list of books at her site: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html John Walkenbach...

Excel 2000 to Excel 97 macro problem
I've created a spreadsheet that will be used to log details of calls coming into a helpdesk. The spreadsheet is going to be used to provide management information about the nature and type of calls. I'm trying to move all data from one sheet onto another sheet in the same workbook (sheets CLT and CS). I'm looking to transfer data from cells J8,J10,J12,J14,J16 on sheet CLT to sheet CS when a button is clicked. When the button is pressed for the first time the data should record on Sheet CS in Cells A2,C2,E2,G2,I2 the second time the button is pressed the data should record in cell...

I want open file excel for click double mouse
Try this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshooting_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "I want open file for click double mouse" <Iwantopenfileforclickdoublemouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58027695-8D35-4180-923B-CB7F43AF858F@microsoft.com... > ...

Labels and excel
Hi I have an excel sheet that I keep as a log, it looks something like COMPANY NAME, SERIAL#, TEST PRESSURE, TEST DATE, PART NUMBER under the heading goes the data, but now I need to print each line off as a label to attach to the equipment we sell (very small pipes and equipment for oil rigs) is it possible to print each line of data and the headings (above) as a single label? I want to pick a line of data and use the headings to print one label or many for different bits of equipment or am I asking to much? I use Excel 2007 also 2003 help in either would be great. Please be as kind a...

excel and no background colour
The problem I have with my Excel is that it will not display background colour in the cells. It shows the colour when you do a print preview and also when you open the files on another computer. i am using office 2002 and windows xp sp1 If the high contrast setting is turned on you won't see the fill colour. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Colour and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 anonymous wrote: > The problem I have with my Excel is that it will not > display background colour in...

Exchange 2003 sp2 with sybari 8.0 SR3
Hello, i have a problem with system exchange when kaspersky engine is enable . the sybari program log trace a exceed timeout and when i search to update kaspersky engine i have bad result. Best Regard's On 3 Feb 2006 03:50:21 -0800, "DonGeppetto" <lordzefir@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hello, >i have a problem with system exchange when kaspersky engine is enable . > >the sybari program log trace a exceed timeout and when i search to >update kaspersky engine i have bad result. > >Best Regard's Contact Sybari Support. Andy David - MVP <adavid@ple...

How check if file to open is Excel or if Excel file is corrupt?
I'm using Excel 2003. I'm looping through a set of Excel files, opening each one and writing data from that Excel spreadsheet into a "master" excel spreadsheet. The program failed when one of the Excel files was corrupt. Also--occasionally the user will have a file in a different format (e.g., Word) in the directory I'm working with, and that's causing problems. 1) How do I check that the file to be opened IS .xls? 2) How do I check that the Excel file is not corrupt? Your help would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS! Hi, I would do thi...

I just got a new system with Money 2003 preloaded and when attempting to open my backup file(on a floppy) from an earlier version of money all I get is a message that asks if I want to back up to floppy. If I click on "dont back up" all I get is the message "money is not properly installed. Please try set up again" Any idea what I might be doing wrong/not doing??? Help thanks Is it possible that you can reload Money from any disks supplied to you with the system? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-...

Root / Child Windows 2003 SP1 Exchange 2003 Permission Problem -- What permission is my account missing?
I have a root and child domain (root.company.com and child.company.com). Both root and child servers are running Windows 2003 SP1. I created a user account in the Root domain called "ROOT\SuperAdministrator". This user account a member of: - Administrators - Domain Admins - Domain Users - Enterprise Admins - Exchange Domain Servers - Exchange Enterprise Servers - Schema Admins Exchange 2003 is installed on a Windows 2003 SP1 box in the child domain. Using Exchange System Mananger, we delegated control so that "ROOT\SuperAdministrator" is a "Full Exchange Adminis...

VC6++ and Excel
I write a program that can create a Excel file,But I don't know if it can be used in a PC whitout Excel installed If its possiable,what objects must be installed with may program,and should i register it to Windows registery? hi, I assume that you have used Excel's automation objects to create the xls file. If that is the case, then you cannot run your program if excel is not installed. I don't know what are the DLLs that are required to do it seperately. hth gangadhar cheng wrote: > I write a program that can create a Excel file,But I don't know if it can be used i...

Outlook 2003, Cache Exchange Mode
Am using Outlook 2003 with 'Cache Exchange Mode' enabled. Have Exchange 5.5 and Windows 2000 on the backend. It takes a long time to sync up. Outlook mentions going to the 'file' menu and then to the 'Cache Exchange Mode' menu and changing the setting to 'full download'. 'Cache Exchange Mode' is not available in the 'file' menu. I think this is because Exchange 5.5 is used on the back end instead of Exchange 2003? Is there a way to configure Outlook 2003 in 'Cache Exchange Mode' when you are using Exchange 5.5? There are ma...

Import Word Doc into Publisher 2003
After importing a Word doc into Publisher, and changing the "Document Title" text box to something of my choosing, how do I get the changed text to automatically repeat in each subsequent page header, without having to go in and manually change each page of the doc? Any helpful ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Use master page feature, ctrl+m -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c6a01c3c5c1$2399...

Converting files for Excel
How do I convert *.wdb and *.mdb files and bring into excel? I have files from other people that made lists in access. In Excel there is no listing for these files. Any help? Open the access file and highlight the table you want to export t excel. go to File/Export In the Save type as: box click on the drop down and pick microsof excel In the save in: box click on the drop down and pick what excel file th table will be imported to and highlight. Click Save Hope this helps you. Larr -- keithl81 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- keithl816's ...

need to send mass email to 1000 addresses cureently in Excel. What's the best way to do that? Can outlook handle 1000 address in one email?

how do I download an excel template%3f
I have tried to download an excel template from the MicroSoft website. However, after clicking the download now button nothing happens. The download never reaches my computer. I am using excel 2003 and have MicroSoft XP on my computer. The information in the following article may help: Downloading Office Online templates http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011352971033.aspx Dante wrote: > I have tried to download an excel template from the MicroSoft website. > However, after clicking the download now button nothing happens. The > download never reaches my co...

Excel Functions #2
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to do this, because im fairly novice with excel: Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn green if the cell value is between 110 and 105 i want it to turn yellow if the cell value is below 105 i want it to turn red any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks spotseven wrote: > hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to > do this, because im fairly novice with excel: > > Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn gr...

Excel 2007 default colors charts
How do I change the default chart colors in Excel 2007? Thanks, Gene Gene, I don't know the answer to your question but the following may help. 1. Click in the Chart / Chart Tools / Design contextual tab / Chart Styles In here these is a whole variety of different colours to choose from. 2. The other thing that you might consider is Page Layout / Themes group / click in the Colors drop down and choose what you want from here. You can also set up your own Theme Colors in here by clicking:- Create New Theme Colors . . . 3. Finally you might like to consider Page ...

How to remove indent in table cell from Excel
I copied part of an XLS spreadsheet to create a Word table. The text in many cells is indented in the original, but I need to make these flush left within the cell. But I can't find a place within Word where this indent is shown: it's not in the table cell specs nor in the paragraph definition. Is there a way to unindent? My purpose is to do this within VBA, in case that changes the answer. -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-word-general/200911/1 Dim i As Long, j As Long Wit...

intermediate results 2010
intermediate 1st year results 2010 Check intermediate results 2010 Results at http://knowledgeatheaven.blogspot.com/2010/04/intermediate-results-2010.html Please click above link to view the intermediate 1st year 2010 results. ...

excel 2003 slow when working with excel 2000 files
hello i have this problem when i receive excel 2000 files from a big customer that work with office 2000 from last mount the files we receive become very slow to use in office 2002 and 2003. microsoft answer that i receive is that the customer have to upgrade... still we need to use the excel files till they upgrade , we try to copy to a new file but it is still slow , viewer is not good for us. any idea .. thank you ...

Stacked Bar Chart - Data Labels:Percentage
This question was posted about 3 years ago and the answer was to use a third party tool. That seems a bit ridiculous when the functionality seems to be inherently in Excel. The problem: I have a stacked bar chart in Excel and would like to show the percentages for each of the datasets in the bars. When I go to Format > Format Data Series > Data Labels, I can select Series Name, Category Name, and Value for "Label Contains" but Percentage and Bubble Size are both unavailable (greyed out). I need the percentages. How do I get those to display? ...

Exchange 2003 First Administrative group
Currently migrating from Groupwise. Installed first Exchange 2003 Enterprise server. Only four users converted so far, are there any issues or problems with renaming the First Administrative Group. Exchange 2k3 can be pretty resilient when renaming the First Admin Group...I've never had any problems... "OCG7" <OCG7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DC891CAB-95DA-45BA-B117-DFF13DBBC54A@microsoft.com... > Currently migrating from Groupwise. Installed first Exchange 2003 > Enterprise server. Only four users converted so far, are there any issues ...

displaying intermediate results from a function procedure
Is there a way to write out to a worksheet intermediate (internal) variables that are calculated in a function procedure. I have tried writing a sub procedure that is called from the function procedure but that doesn't seem to work. Makes the calling function not work and I get a #VALUE instead. In that iteration, I was trying to print to the same worksheet that I am calling the function procedure from, Thanks A function that is called from a cell can only return a valaue to the calling cell and is not allowed to modify any other cell. If you want to see the intermedi...

How can I prevent cliparts from disappearing (Publisher 2003) ?
I can see them. I save and close. The next day, everything is there : text, Word art, but no clip art. Help ! Thanks. Read the fourth FAQ here: Why can I not see images/shapes/lines when editing my publication? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "S�raphin Poudrier" <S�raphin Poudrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F316AACF-6F5F-4505-9229-6D07C48169E7@microsoft.com... >I can see them. > I save and close. > The next day, everything i...

Click on Excel Doc Starts Excel but Excel does not Open the Doc.
Hi When I click on an Excel doc., Excel starts up but does not open the doc. When I rgiht click an .xls and then choose Excel to open it it says that Excel cannot find the document on the indicated path. The path shown is indeed the path to the doc and the doc is there. When I drag an .xls into a runing Excel it opens correctly. Other apps. such as Word open the docs correctly but cannot open docs with links to Excel sheets. Any ideas? Regards, Marc Try looking at this: Tools | Options | General Uncheck "Ignore other applications" HTH hi. try this. Tools>options>g...