Intermediate Excel 2003

Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills.  I have a
reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation
but I wish to develop things a little further?

Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

Roger

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Lots of suggestions at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"roger lewis" <rogerlewis@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills.  I have a
> reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation
> but I wish to develop things a little further?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
>
> Roger

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
11/28/2007 8:51:14 PM
What Excel skills are you trying to improve?  Some of the ones I'm
familiar with:

Source of many good ideas, and a quick/easy read, is Excel Hacks
(O'Reilly).

General features, get something like Excel 2003 Bible (Walkenbach) or
Inside Out (MS Press) - also Learn Excel from Mr. Excel (Jelen).

Formulas, get something like Excel 2003 Formulas (Walkenbach).

Programming, get Excel 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference (Bullen et al)
or Power Programming (Walkenbach).

For any other specifics, you can find tons of books, anywhere from
financial or statistical analysis, to application development, to
"best business practices", PivotTable Recipes (Dalgleish) and
PivotTables Data Crunching (Jellen), Charts (Walkenbach), and so
forth.  My best suggestion is to pick one, and stick with it - work
through the examples, apply them to your work or school, and
experiment.  Then, move on.

On Nov 28, 3:20 pm, "roger lewis" <rogerle...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good book to improve my Excel Skills.  I have a
> reasonable understanding of the main functions and basic formula creation
> but I wish to develop things a little further?
>
> Many thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.
>
> Roger

0
iasafiev (57)

Excel query from Access databases
Hi, I have two separate databases in Access that have a common field of CustNo. I'll like to run a query in Excel using Get External Data... whereby I could create a report that brings in data from both the databases. Having tried this in Excel, it seems that I can only use one table at a time, is there a way to overcome the issue. Thanks, Rob Hi Rob- "I have two separate databases in Access that have a common field of CustNo." Is that accurate or do you mean 2 separate Tables in 1 Access DB file which use CustNo as the common field? AFAIK you can only query one Access...

How to create a similar resume in MS Excel ???
Hello All, I came across this interesting resume which has been prepared as a graph and charts sheet / dashboard. Although some may question its relevance / consistency in color usage / display of information , it is doing what it means to do... It captures attention and would surely give the candidate a boost. http://theportfolio.ofmichaelanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/resume-infographic.jpg I was wondering how this can be created using MS Excel... can someone help me on this ??? Regards, Anand Kumar On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:13:21 -0700 (PDT), anandydr <anandydr@gmail.com> w...

Excel Charts with attached comments option
It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option when charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should then be linked to that specific data point. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com...

Formulas in Excel
Hi I am not sure how to word this but here goes, I would like to be able to enter a w-4 withholding exemption (single and 1 or married and 2, etc.) and have excel calculate this change automatically. Would this be an IF formula? Thanks for any help you can offer. -- Life, Love and Happiness Give us some figures or a bit for information as anything can be an IF statement, a simple =A1+B1 can be If=(A1<>"",A1+B1,"") or an if and If=(And(A1<>"",B1<>""),A1+B1,"") etc. so as you can see we need a little more info! -- The...

Exchange 2003 Tracking Center
Im running Exchange 2003 and when I search for emails with the message tracking center they pull up but the subject line is left blank on all searches done. Do I have something miss configured that is causing the subject lines to be left blank? Thanks blusporttrac you have to enable "subject logging and display"...I do not believe it is enable by default... <blusporttrac@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1117119115.669602.209960@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Im running Exchange 2003 and when I search for emails with the > message tracking center they pull up...

Outlook 2003 Wont Remember Password
Hello All, Since upgrading from Office XP to Office 2003, Outlook now does not remember our POP server passwords for any user on our Terminal Server network. We download mail from a Linux POP server for company email, but Outlook will always pause at the download screen and ask for the password, no matter whether we click the 'save this password in your password list' option box or not. Can anyone assist? Thanks, Devan ...

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

removing macros in Excel 97
I have a few spreadsheets that upon opening ask if I want to enable or disable the macros. When I open the file there are no macros and unhiding the sheets shows no macros as well. I have removed the modules that were present on the file but to no avail, every time I open the file it asks the same question. Does anyone know how to find these hidden macro's. I tried the knowledge database (article attached) but it didn't work as there are no ranges or hidden ranges as well. Can someone help, this is getting frustrating. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

Adding old clipart from previous Publishers to Publisher 2003
Hi I installed a new Publisher - 2003 - on my computer. I had kept all my old disks from Office 2000 with all the old clipart. However, the new Publisher doesn't seem to have as nice a clipart gallery as my old version had, and I had wanted to add all my clips to the newer version. Is this possible in a way that Publisher will *automatically* setup all the old clips so that I can easily search for the exact picture I am looking for, instead of having to go through each clip manually by the very boring names such as clip1, clip2, clip3 etc. (or however the clipart is installed)? I want...

Outlook 2003 won't let me delete msg in Outbox
I have an email in my outbox that has a 6 MB attachment. Well, for whatever reason, Outlook was having issues sending the email, so after several hours, I decided to delete it. Pressing the delete button does nothing, no error. Trying to permenantly delete it (shift delete) and it gives me the error message "The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied." It's a bizarre error. I'm only using Outlook as a pop3 email reader. There's no exchange on the backend. This is with Windows XP Professional. Any help woul...

Connect to Exchange 2003 from a different domain
Hi!! Sorry, I don't speak english well :-) This is my network: domain 1: NT and XP Clients using Outlook domain 2: Exchange 2003 Each client use LMHOST to view Exchange server. I can connect with it and the first time I use Outlook I need to write: username, password and domain. I write the username,... from Exchange domain and Outlook works fine. So, from time to time, Outlook opens a new window to write this parameters. It's a nightmare!!! I haven't a trust relationship from domain 1 to domain 2, and I haven't configured mailboxes, it use default parameters. I tried to...

Mailboxes in Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server
I have implemented a policy to limit the mailbox size to 30000 K and implemented a 21 day Age Limit. However, 21 days has passed and the 30000 K limit has passed on more than 50% of our mailboxes. How can we enforce this policy to work properly and clean out the mailboxes to bring this down to 30 K. The policy I have created is running and reporting is enabled.It is configured for report only, but I would like this to change to "Move to deleted items folder". However, since nothing seems to happen as of yet...I am hesitant to make the change until I can see a change and tha...

Outlook 2003 #5
I just got Outlook 2003 in the mail yesterday. Is there anyone out their who has the latest version of Outlook yet? DaveS wrote: > I just got Outlook 2003 in the mail yesterday. Is there > anyone out their who has the latest version of Outlook > yet? Why do you ask, Dave? Is there something wrong? If so, please let us know the problem...maybe we can help you -- Donald L McDaniel Post All replies to the Newsgroup, so that all may be informed ============================================================= ...

PST not created in Outlook 2003 after importprf
Hi all, I would like to create a Exchange Server Outlook profile with a Unicode or ANSI PST file. When I launch outlook 2003 with the -importprf option, the creation of the profile work fine (exchange server settings) but none PST is add (if the file exist) or create and add (if the file not exist). When I try my outlook.prf file with the -importprf option on an outlook 2007, all work fine, in the same environment (domain, policy settings, etc...) I use the Outlook ADM file to force the cached offline mode as default. I try to use the settings "Exchange Unicode Mode - Ignore Arc...

Outlook 2003 Storing Sent Items with IMAP
Hi, I've recently started using Outlook 2003, (upgrading from Outllook Express). I have several IMAP accounts and with Outllook Express whenever I sent an email from one account, it automatically stored it in the IMAP folder Sent Items of the account I sent it from. How can you do this in Outllook 2003?? It seems to store everything in Sent Items which means I can't read the mail I've sent from other locations. Regards. "Dougie Mac" <dougiemac> wrote: >Hi, > >I've recently started using Outlook 2003, (upgrading from Outllook Express). >...

Close Button In Excel Grayed Out
From time to time, when I open Excel the close button in the top right to close the program is grayed out, and I have to go to File -> Exit to close the program. I think I remeber a knowledgebase article concerning this topic about 6 months ago when someone else in the office was having the problem, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know the cause/workaround for this bug? Any help is appreciated. cheers, Ben Moore Hi http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199&Product= xlw XL: Close Button Is Dimmed After Groupwise Is Installed -- Regards Frank Kabel F...

Frx NP rows and Excel export
In versions of Frx6.7 SP9 and lower when a column is made NP in Frx, when the report genrated is exported to Excel the NP column is not transferred to Excel. In Frx6.7 SP10 I have now found that NP columns now export to Excel and are displayed as hidden columns in Frx. As far as I can tell is is supposed to be function enhancement rather than a bug. Can someone confirm this for me? Also - is there a way somehow to ensure it works in the way it did previosuly (I ask this I my client has multiple complex Excel sheets that link to the columns in this exported sheet - now due to this '...

integration with Outlook 2003: slower on XP than W2K? after upgrade?
Hi, I have a VB.NET (2.0) application that integrates with Outlook 2003. I have windows XP SP2. The users had Windows 2000, and Office 2000. They upgraded (!) to Office 2003. But: - an action that takes 0,5 seconds on my pc, takes them 4-5 seconds - an action that takes 2,5 seconds on my pc, takes them 8-9 seconds So for a test we completely desinstalled Office 2003, and did a full re-install of 2003 on a system. Performance increased with +- 30%: times are now 2,5 seconds and 6 seconds. But still much more than my 0,5 and 2,5.... What's the reason of this performance-problem? The ...

Links in Excel 2000...need help
Hi, Would you happen to know how to switch the setting in excel so that when I doubleclick on a cell with a link to another tab (worksheet), it will take me to that tab and specifically the cell referenced? Thx, Maybe you can use a worksheet formula. David McRitchie has posted these formulas that he uses. =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) === but you meant like what hap...

How to add right-click menu in excel.
I have a user who cannot right click on cells. When she right clicks on a cell nothing happens. I have check in MS-Word (thinking that it has something to do wit office) but it works fine. What is the easiest way to get the right-click menu working again. She had this problem once before but cant remember how it was fixed. Thanks for the help -- oioio ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oioioi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2719 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4670...

getting events from Excel
Hello, How to I send events from Excel to my VB6 application? I am unfamiliar with ActiveX . I think I see it as some sort of server logically sitting between my app and Excel. That is to say, I think that I would raise events in Excel VBA, the server catches them and raises events in my vb6 app. My need for this is that my app installs a toolbar in Excel. When the user selects an action from the toolbar, I need to send to my app the action code and a string of coded information. I would also like to have Bidirectional communication but I dont see how that could be done. I n...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

How do I separate address information from within an Excel cell?
I have a Christmas Card list that was created using a single cell for the whole address. Street, City, Zip/Postal etc. I need to split those components out into separate cells in order to do a proper mail merge. Is there any way to do this. I am not completely unfamiliar with macros but I if that is the solution I would require a fair bit of hand holding. Thanks S. If you actually used commas to separate the fields (and none of the fields contain commas), you could select the column and do: Data|text to columns delimited comma Remember to keep enough open columns to the right s...

Can I move down 12 rows in excel for every new entry
I am entering records of numbers which have formulas for calculation. I want to place these records every 12 rows and be able to automate the worksheet for our office personnel. How? HELP!! There can be anywhere from 50 to 150 records depending on how many batches are produced in manufacturing plant. right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this. If not column A (1) then change. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(12).Select End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mickey&...

excel printing #8
how can I print pictures in excel sheet properly as it is getting printed thrice whereas it shows once in the print preview. I've never seen xl do this--but I don't print too many pictures using xl. But after verifying that the pictures are indeed correct (there aren't triplicates), I'd look at the printer driver. Do you have another printer you can try? If it works on that other printer, I'd visit the printer's web site and look for a new (or fresher) copy of the driver. (But this is just something to try!) yong wrote: > > how can I print > pictures in...