Inserting rows into sheet that contains a formula

I have a typical financial sheet where the columns sum (sum(a5:a15)) and the
rows sum (sum(a5:h5)). The summation columns are locked and the sheet
protected.
Is there a technique whereby I can have the user insert a row which will
keep the formats and row sum as well as changing the formula in the column
sums?

Thanks.

Rick

0
rstreet (3)
8/1/2009 8:39:31 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Rick,

The following method is not foolproof but generally it works OK.
Insert a blank row between the bottom of data to be summed and the row with
the sum formulas.
Include the blank row in the sum formula.
Protect the blank row along with the formulas and whatever else to be locked
and protected.
Now when the user needs an extra row they cannot use the existing blank row
so must insert one above it.
Because the insertion is in the middle of the range used for the sum
formula, the sum formula automatically updates.
The Inserted row carries the formatting of the row above it.

--
Regards,

OssieMac

"rick" wrote:

> I have a typical financial sheet where the columns sum (sum(a5:a15)) and the
> rows sum (sum(a5:h5)). The summation columns are locked and the sheet
> protected.
> Is there a technique whereby I can have the user insert a row which will
> keep the formats and row sum as well as changing the formula in the column
> sums?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rick

0
OssieMac (238)
8/2/2009 2:14:02 AM
Thank you very much OssieMac.
"OssieMac" <OssieMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Rick,
>
> The following method is not foolproof but generally it works OK.
> Insert a blank row between the bottom of data to be summed and the row
> with
> the sum formulas.
> Include the blank row in the sum formula.
> Protect the blank row along with the formulas and whatever else to be
> locked
> and protected.
> Now when the user needs an extra row they cannot use the existing blank
> row
> so must insert one above it.
> Because the insertion is in the middle of the range used for the sum
> formula, the sum formula automatically updates.
> The Inserted row carries the formatting of the row above it.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> OssieMac
>

> "rick" wrote:
>
>> I have a typical financial sheet where the columns sum (sum(a5:a15)) and
>> the
>> rows sum (sum(a5:h5)). The summation columns are locked and the sheet
>> protected.
>> Is there a technique whereby I can have the user insert a row which will
>> keep the formats and row sum as well as changing the formula in the
>> column
>> sums?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Rick

0
rstreet (3)

Formulas do not work in excel.
Formulas have been working but suddenly they will not add or subtract unless we click on the target cell. This happens in all excel files even in new worksheets. Try going to tools-option-calculation and click automatic if it is on manual. Let me know if it works. B "Flintlock98" wrote: > Formulas have been working but suddenly they will not add or subtract unless > we click on the target cell. This happens in all excel files even in new > worksheets. ...

how can i search for sheet with any part of sheet name
hi every on i need code for userform of textbox and listbox to search for any sheet in workbook with any part of that sheet name on i enter on textbox to populate on listbox all sheets named contain that enterd text on textbox . any help appreciated . thanks This code takes a string and searches the sheet name for it. Set strData to your textbox value and instead of msgbox, do a listbox.add Dim strData As String strData = "Dat" For i = 1 To ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Count For j = 1 To Len(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name) - Len(strData) + 1 If UCase(Mid(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).N...

Lookup selective from another sheet
Assume I have one sheet as below. How can I create a new sheet and display only those entrys that are greater than a entered value. i.e main sheet abc 2 def 5 ghi 6 jkl 5 fgh 3 krk 4 on second sheet, if 4 is entered only entrys >4 are shown. i.e def 5 ghi 6 jkl 5 krk 4 Try something like this: C1=IF(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$1:B$4,2,FALSE)>Sheet1!B1,VLOOKUP(Sheet2!A$1:B$4,2,FALSE),NA()) Your main sheet is A1-b6 and Sheet 2 is A1:B4 "Jim" <Jim Forrest@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:WBb4f.34203$U9.12412@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Assume...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Linking a Column List to a Row List #2
Thanks for the help, it worked perfectly -- Mo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Moe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1250 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27428 ...

Alternate Row Shading
I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, most of them already typed. Grateful if someone could advise how to shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then dark-gray, etc. Thanks! AB Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Alex_Bachrach wrote: > I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, > most of them already typed. Grateful if someone could advise how to > shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then > dark-...

Excel
When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are displayed. Your question has fallen into an Access news group. Try an Excel news group for a better chance at getting a quick answer. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Rachel" wrote: > When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are displayed. "Rachel" <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> 在郵件 news:DE18E8EF-5A6D-4661-A768-41D3B4D85D6C@microsoft.com 中撰寫... > When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are ...

How To Copy Rows without Work Art
I have some Word Art in say Rows 9-23, I use some Macro code to copy cells 9-23 down to 10 grouped rows below 23, but everytime I run the Macro it also copies a 'New' Work Art over the existing Art below Row 15. My fear is that my file size will balloon. My code simply states Sheets("Starters").Select Rows("9:23").Select Selection.Copy Range("A25").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Range("A41").Select ActiveSheet.Paste How can I copy Rows 9-23 without the WorkArt also (which is 'floating' over Rows 14-18) Thanks Anot...

Insert trigger

empty rows at bottom of worksheet
My worksheet has about 66,000 empty rows at the bottom of the sheet and that affects my usage of the scrollbar on the right of the screen. Anyone know how i can get rid of those miscellaneous rows? Michael If you will turn on the page break preview (piece of paper with a magnifying glass) which is the icon on the on the Standard Toolbar to the right of the Printer icon it will show you exactly what is going to print. There are solid blue lines that the edge of the page, the dashed blue lines are soft page breaks. Find the solid blue line at the bottom of the spreadsheet and drag it ...

Cannot view owa with subject that contains extended characters
Hello! Thanks for any reply. I use exchange 2003 on a win 2003 server. When clients access there emails throw owa, messages with extended charcters is not dislpyed, like swedish åäö. I use ISA as a firewall. Best Regards Micke "Micke" <Micke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23E8FF61-E9D1-4AF4-9295-2281741A7C2F@microsoft.com... > Hello! > > Thanks for any reply. > > I use exchange 2003 on a win 2003 server. > When clients access there emails throw owa, messages with extended > charcters > is not dislpyed, like swedish...

PROTECTING FORMULAS #2
I have a sheet where when opened, it runs an auto macro to move cell contents from one column to another and uses a formula to do some calculations. If I select the columns I want unlocked, then protect the sheet and try to run the macro, I get an "run time error 1004 unable to set the numberformat property of the range class" When I debug the following is highlightd "Selection.NumberFormat = ";;;" " I was a Lotus user and in Lotus I could select a range of cells or columns to protect, I'm having a hard time to get Excel to do the same. I appreciate th...

Automatioc spill over data to a new Excel sheet from Xml source?
I have an XML source file with data for more than 256 columns. Since one sheet can contain a max of 256 cols, Is there a way to make Excel, create an additional sheet to keep the excess data? Preferrably using Xml map / template? ...

How to retrieve data which contain "/" in it
Hi, I try to pull a data from access with contain a speacial character "/" in it but what i get is it not return a single data, so how do i wanna retrieve it? below is statement I use it but it return nothing. SELECT LDDATA.COR, LDDATA.CON, LDDATA.PCODE, LDDATA.QTY, LDDATA.BOXNO, LDDATA.CASENO, LDDATA.RSNOS, LDDATA.RSNOE, LDDATA.NOFRS FROM LDDATA WHERE (((LDDATA.COR)="A11/LC/000002/11/06")) ORDER BY LDDATA.CON, LDDATA.BOXNO; On Tue, 22 May 2007 21:53:02 -0700, osmanar <osmanar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I try to pull a data from access with...

inserting hrs and minutes

Worksheet name in cell formula
I asked this question a while ago and got a prompt answer which I thought was what I wanted but alas its not... I want to be able to change my worksheet names.....ie: from Sheet 1, Sheet 2, etc etc.....to something more meaningful.....eg Sales, Expenses....etc etc.... and have these changes reflect on the worksheet. For example, I might want Sheet 1 Cell A1 to say.....This is the Sales worksheet (assuming I have renamed it to Sales). The answer I was given some time back worked.....but it changed the formula on every worksheet to reflect the name of the last changed sheet. By this I mean.....

Empty rows
When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the report (the last typed row)? Connie Hi clear your used range first: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Connie Martin" <Connie Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:61708D1A-8D45-4213-A35A-54953A8C90E5@microsoft.com... > When I do Shift+Page Down+End+Arrow Down from the first selected row, it goes > to row 65,536. How do I get it to go to the end of the re...

Colour numbers within my formulae
I have been playing around with the '&' function, allowing me to mix text with calculations and cell references. I have the following at the moment: ="Of the "&TEXT(J954,"�#,0.00")&" made this year, I have managed to save "&TEXT(100/J954*J955, "#,#0.0")&"%" Which gives me a cell displaying the following: Of the �0.00 made this year, I have managed to save 0.0% What I would like to do is show the numbers (�0.00; 0.0%) in the colour blue. I don't want to add conditional formatting, just apply a colour so t...

Insert with a where condition

Insert

embed x.s sheet to HTmL page
Hi, I have a file called Bonds.xls located on my C drive in a flode called Support. I want to insert this file to a HTML pae. I trie embed, object and everything I could find but i cant get it to insert I am using office and OS wkin200. Can anybody give me some help? I dont know if I am using tags wrong o just wrong tags. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Have you tried saving the worksheet in html format? You can incorporate this html code into the web page. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ ...

Excel formula 03-26-10
I need a formula that does the following: Calculates how old I am when a birth date is entered. The formula needs to use the calendar days not a fixed number of days per month. The second part is if the person is more than half way through the year the age needs to increase by one. For example my birthday is april 14 1973. That make me 36 years old. Because I am more than half way through the year the formula needs to tell me that I am 37. Any help would be appreciated please remember it must be calendar days not a fixed number of days per month. Thanks! Hi Mark With birt...