Insert options

I've recently been "upgraded" to Office 2010 from Office 2003 and find
the "Ribbon" interface really horrible. A good example is in Excel. In
Excel 2003 if I wanted to insert a row or column it was simple. Go to
the insert menu and select either rows or columns.

To do the same task in Excel 2010 the logical place to go is the
"Insert" ribbon. This lets me insert lots of things, but none of them
are rows or columns. To do that I have to go to the "Home" ribbon and
then there is an Insert button from where I can insert rows or
columns.

I thought one of the goals of the ribbon was to make Office easier to
use, but I fail to see how is a user supposed to know what things they
can insert from the drop down "Insert" button and what they can insert
on the "Insert" ribbon. Sorry but this is a mess and worse it doesn't
seem to be possible to customise it.

Other examples include why the right click menu in Excel includes
"Paste Special" but Word does not. The interface is just so
inconsistent and such a mess. Why did Microsoft do it ?
0
jcombe1 (2)
3/1/2012 8:08:29 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Re:  "Why did Microsoft do it?"

I can only guess...
  To make it different from the older versions.
  For the eye candy (all those wonderful large icons).
  To sell the sizzle not the steak.
  To force upgrades and keep the money rolling in.
'---
Excel 97 is faster, has a much more responsive help file (with appropriate topics)
Doesn't crash as often and with a few changes would... but I dream.
'---
Your IT department or your boss spent the money for Office 2010 - so something's working for MS.

xl2010 has a few kinks...
  Those extras rows/columns are mostly non-useable.
  Fill a few of those million row columns with formulas and see how long it takes to calculate
  -or-
  Try Go To Special (constants) on 300,000 to 400,000 cells - took 18 minutes on my machine (3.2
GHZ).

On the other hand, you can right-click a cell and get the Insert Entire Row/Column option.
I feel better already. <g>
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(Extras for Excel:  Date picker, Clean Data, Classic Menu ...)

"Jon Combe" <jcombe@gmail.com>
wrote in message
> I've recently been "upgraded" to Office 2010 from Office 2003 and find
> the "Ribbon" interface really horrible. A good example is in Excel. In
> Excel 2003 if I wanted to insert a row or column it was simple. Go to
> the insert menu and select either rows or columns.
>
> To do the same task in Excel 2010 the logical place to go is the
> "Insert" ribbon. This lets me insert lots of things, but none of them
> are rows or columns. To do that I have to go to the "Home" ribbon and
> then there is an Insert button from where I can insert rows or
> columns.
>
> I thought one of the goals of the ribbon was to make Office easier to
> use, but I fail to see how is a user supposed to know what things they
> can insert from the drop down "Insert" button and what they can insert
> on the "Insert" ribbon. Sorry but this is a mess and worse it doesn't
> seem to be possible to customise it.
>
> Other examples include why the right click menu in Excel includes
> "Paste Special" but Word does not. The interface is just so
> inconsistent and such a mess. Why did Microsoft do it ?

Migration options from E2k server to another E2k3 server
Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k server to another E2k3 server in the same domain. For more information, both are domain controllers, the E2k server is running under Windows 2k Server and the E2k3 is running under Windows 2k3 server enterprise edition. The last will replace th older E2k server. Thank you in advance, On Feb 12, 10:13 am, winpor <win...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, I have a doubt in which way is best suited to migrate data from a E2k > server to another E2k3 server in the same domain. > For more inform...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Change pivot chart options
Is it possible to modify fields through VB on pivotcharts? For instance I have a chart that shows sales per date. And I'd like to use the same chart to show sales by month or sales by week without the user having to move things around themselves. I can easily set up 2 different Pivotcharts but that seems redundant if they use the exact same layout and data. Thanks, ...

Insert trigger

inserting hrs and minutes

Insert with a where condition

Insert

how to insert data in a table

Evaluating integration options with Great Plains
We are developing a software product that can act as a sub-ledger to external accounting systems and are in the very initial stages of evaluating different integration options with Great Plains. Essentially, we would like to be able to periodically post GL, AP, and AR transactions to Great Plains on a periodic basis and get confirmations back into our system. These transactions would be available as web services from our application for consumption by Great Plains or by some custom code that would then transform the data into a format that Great Plains could consume. In my initial rese...

adding an option to uninstall in setup project
I have a setup project in my VS.NET2003 solution and it works well but if the program gathered any data while it was running (and it will), the c:\program files\*appname* will not be deleted on uninstall because the DATA folder in it is still full of data. How do you add a dialog to the uninstall part of the setup project so I can ask the user if they want to delete the data or not? jorj ...

insert downloads into power point

Insert dataset to another database

Insert a blank row

How do I insert a letter into an existing word document?
I am working on a large document that I need to add several letters that are on our letterhead. If I cut and paste the letter, the letterhead header becomes skewed. This is just one issue I'm having with the document! Also need to know how to merge 3 separate documents together once I insert the letters that I need! Help! What do you mean by "skewed"? To preserve the data from the header of the document, you will need to insert it into a Section of its own separated from the rest of the document by Next page Section breaks before and after it with the headers...

How do I insert backround into my picture inserts?
Could you please elaborate on your question, and give us details such as your version of Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "TAMOS" <TAMOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1B3ABEC-F208-4A23-B695-9C0EEFBF649F@microsoft.com... > How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm How to Act Smart on Usenet http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered http:...

Inserting images into excel conditionally
I have a large product price list (1200 items) with one column for quantity. I would like excel to import the appropriate image for a product once the condition entered is that quantity is > 0. Is this possible? If so then please help. Thanks Pav One way http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html can be adapted to your situation -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Pav" <Pav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37DC7373-14E6-4F11-9136-71DC3AD93CC2@microsoft.com... > I have a large product price list (1200 items) with one column for quantity. > I would l...

Purchasing options
For several items in my inventory, I cannot setup purchasing options - specifically, the UOM. These items appear to be setup exactly like others that have the UOM setup correctly. I can (and have) selected the correct UOM schedule in the item setup, but when I go into the Purchasing options window, I cannot select a "Default Purchasing UOM" - there is nothing in the list to select. I have compared all settings with those inventory items that have no problems, but I cannot see any differences. Thanks A couple of things you may have alresdy looked at.... Is the base uom i...

How do I insert a reference to lookup and insert a name
How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a reference table and then insert the name in the next column. eg if I type the letter b in column 1 then the word 'bank' will appear in column 2. If I type the letter i in column 1 then the word 'insurance' will appear in column 2 etc etc look at VLOOKUP in Help. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Jan K" <Jan K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6CDAC92-DB48-49A7-803F-BF494F5221AB@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a > r...

Insert eps image into Publisher 2003
Client created eps images in Illustrator. Said they have TIFF preview available. When the images are inserted into Publisher, they only appear as blank box. Rendered the document as a PDF and we can see the image but she needs to see the image in Publisher in order to modify, resize, etc. When inserting it, we get the converter window, but she needs it to stay in eps format in Publisher. Are there any settings in Publisher to change to allow the eps image to display in the Publisher document? -- maryj Are you using a post script printer? Pieces of an EPS graphic may appear to be missi...

Triggers after Insert
Hi, I'm having a temporary table in SQL Server 2005, which receives the data from external Orace DB. The data from Oracle DB inserts the data once in a month time. How to create a trigger which calls the storedprocedures, after all the data is get inserted to the temporary table, not for each row insertion. On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 04:01:21 GMT, "Visha" <u60840@uwe> wrote: >Hi, > I'm having a temporary table in SQL Server 2005, which receives the data >from external Orace DB. The data from Oracle DB inserts the data once in a >month time. >...

inserting a text into xml file
Hi friends, I am new to csharp and XML : fp=File.OpenText(server.mappath(".\\upload\\")+"test.txt"); string info=fp.readtoend(); string[] arinfo =new string[4]; char splitter = {'|','^'}; arinfo =info.split(splitter); for(int x=0;x<arinfo.length;x++) { response.write(arinfo[x]+"<br>"); a=arinfo[x]; xmltextwriter xwriter=new xmltextwriter("C:/XML/Data.xml",system.text.encoding.UTF8); xwriter.writestartdocument(true); xwriter.writestartelement("login"); xwriter.writeelementstring("usernam...