Insert defined names in header/footer

Hello group,

Is it possible to insert defined names in header or footer? You can
insert Doc Variables into header/footer in Word. Since Excel doesn't
have Doc Variables, I was hoping I can insert Doc Proproties. But
cannot. It seems defined names can't be used in header/footer either.
Can anyone please confirm, or provide an alternate?

Thank you!
0
kf9150 (6)
4/14/2008 9:31:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can insert builtin document properties and custom document properties into a
header/footer.

Requires VBA code.

Sub Last_Saved_Footer()
'Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim wkSht As Worksheet
    For Each wkSht In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        wkSht.PageSetup.RightFooter = "&8Last Saved : " & _
            Format(ThisWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Save Time"), _
            "yyyy-mmm-dd hh:mm:ss")
    Next wkSht
End Sub

Here are a couple of examples for adding a custom property and using that custom
property to increment with each successive print out.

Sub Add_Custom_Prop()
 Dim dp As DocumentProperties
 Set dp = ThisWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties
 dp.Add Name:="gordo", _
     LinkToContent:=False, _
     Type:=msoPropertyTypeNumber, _
     Value:=0
 End Sub

Sub Increment_Gordo_Value()
If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then
     n = ThisWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("gordo").Value
     n = n + 1
     ActiveSheet.PageSetup.RightHeader = "gordo " & n
     ThisWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("gordo").Value = n
 End If
 ActiveSheet.PrintPreview  ''Out
 End Sub

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:31:44 -0700 (PDT), Kelie <kf9150@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello group,
>
>Is it possible to insert defined names in header or footer? You can
>insert Doc Variables into header/footer in Word. Since Excel doesn't
>have Doc Variables, I was hoping I can insert Doc Proproties. But
>cannot. It seems defined names can't be used in header/footer either.
>Can anyone please confirm, or provide an alternate?
>
>Thank you!

0
Gord
4/14/2008 11:07:06 PM
Thanks a lot Gord! Your sample code works great. Exactly what I was
looking for. Sorry I had forgot that I asked this question.
0
kf9150 (6)
5/13/2008 5:53:28 PM
I forgot I answered.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gord

On Tue, 13 May 2008 10:53:28 -0700 (PDT), Kelie <kf9150@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks a lot Gord! Your sample code works great. Exactly what I was
>looking for. Sorry I had forgot that I asked this question.

0
Gord
5/13/2008 6:23:18 PM
It seems the CDP content does not update once inserted into a
workbook, when you change the CDP afterwards. Here is how I tested: I
used Macro1 to add a CDP called "VAR1"; then I used Macro2 and Macro2
to insert the CDP into one cell and the footer; then I manually
changed CDP "VAR1" to something else, but the workbook does not update
to reflect the change. Btw, I tried saving the workbook. What did I
miss? Thank you!

Sub Macro1()
    Dim dp As DocumentProperties
    Set dp = ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties
    dp.Add "VAR1", False, msoPropertyTypeString, "RED & BLUE"
End Sub

Sub Macro2()
    Range("A1").Select
    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "BEFORE " &
ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("VAR1") & " AFTER"
End Sub

Sub Macro3()
    Dim wkSht As Worksheet
    For Each wkSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
        wkSht.PageSetup.RightFooter =
ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("VAR1")
    Next wkSht
End Sub

0
kf9150 (6)
5/14/2008 11:48:53 PM
Kelie

After manually changing "VAR1" in CDP you must run macro2 and 3 again to update
the cell and footer to reflect the change.

Alternative to macros 2 and 3 would be BeforePrint event code in Thisworkbook

     Call Macro2
     Call Macro3
End Sub

Gord

On Wed, 14 May 2008 16:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Kelie <kf9150@gmail.com> wrote:

>It seems the CDP content does not update once inserted into a
>workbook, when you change the CDP afterwards. Here is how I tested: I
>used Macro1 to add a CDP called "VAR1"; then I used Macro2 and Macro2
>to insert the CDP into one cell and the footer; then I manually
>changed CDP "VAR1" to something else, but the workbook does not update
>to reflect the change. Btw, I tried saving the workbook. What did I
>miss? Thank you!
>
>Sub Macro1()
>    Dim dp As DocumentProperties
>    Set dp = ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties
>    dp.Add "VAR1", False, msoPropertyTypeString, "RED & BLUE"
>End Sub
>
>Sub Macro2()
>    Range("A1").Select
>    ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "BEFORE " &
>ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("VAR1") & " AFTER"
>End Sub
>
>Sub Macro3()
>    Dim wkSht As Worksheet
>    For Each wkSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
>        wkSht.PageSetup.RightFooter =
>ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("VAR1")
>    Next wkSht
>End Sub

0
Gord
5/15/2008 1:50:47 AM
On May 14, 3:50 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Kelie
>
> After manually changing "VAR1" in CDP you must run macro2 and 3 again to update
> the cell and footer to reflect the change.
>
> Alternative to macros 2 and 3 would be BeforePrint event code in Thisworkbook
>
> Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
>      Call Macro2
>      Call Macro3
> End Sub
>
> Gord

Thanks again Gord!

Hmm, this is quite different from how Word behaves and I fail to see
the benefits of using CDPs, at least when comparing it with Word.
Suppose I've defined a number of CDPs and inserted them at different
places (cells or headers/footers), and want to change some CDPs and
update the workbook, how do I accomplish that? The problems is how do
I know where these CDPs are? In Word, where a CDP is inserted, you can
use "Toggle Field Codes" to see which CDP it is. That tells me Word
keeps track of CDP used in a document. I didn't find such feature in
Excel. Does that mean Excel does not store the information about where
CDPs are inserted?

0
kf9150 (6)
5/15/2008 10:31:51 PM
I so rarely work with Custom Document Properties that my knowledge and
experience with them is close to nil.

I took a course in Word back at the 6.0 level and have used it rarely since so a
bust there also.

Without help from other posters your queries will probably go unanswered.

Gord

On Thu, 15 May 2008 15:31:51 -0700 (PDT), Kelie <kf9150@gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 14, 3:50 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>> Kelie
>>
>> After manually changing "VAR1" in CDP you must run macro2 and 3 again to update
>> the cell and footer to reflect the change.
>>
>> Alternative to macros 2 and 3 would be BeforePrint event code in Thisworkbook
>>
>> Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
>>      Call Macro2
>>      Call Macro3
>> End Sub
>>
>> Gord
>
>Thanks again Gord!
>
>Hmm, this is quite different from how Word behaves and I fail to see
>the benefits of using CDPs, at least when comparing it with Word.
>Suppose I've defined a number of CDPs and inserted them at different
>places (cells or headers/footers), and want to change some CDPs and
>update the workbook, how do I accomplish that? The problems is how do
>I know where these CDPs are? In Word, where a CDP is inserted, you can
>use "Toggle Field Codes" to see which CDP it is. That tells me Word
>keeps track of CDP used in a document. I didn't find such feature in
>Excel. Does that mean Excel does not store the information about where
>CDPs are inserted?

0
Gord
5/15/2008 11:28:56 PM
Yep.  MSWord and excel behave differently.

In excel, when you change the footer to include the custom property's value,
you're working with its value--not the property itself.

It's kind of the difference between using "May 15, 2008" (as a literal static
string) and &[Date] (which represents the current date--and changes whenever the
date changes).

You can use code to create/delete/modify these custom document values or you can
use File|Properties|Custom tab (in xl2003) to do things manually.

If you want to change the header/footer, you'll have to do it manually or use
code--just like in your previous post.

But excel does offer events that you can tie into--and one that seems fitting is
the workbook_beforeprint event.  This will fire (if events and macros are
enabled) whenever the user prints (or print previews).

This code goes behind the ThisWorkbook module:

Option Explicit
    Dim myProp As DocumentProperty
    Dim myPropName As String
    Dim myStr As String
    Dim wkSht As Worksheet

    myPropName = "Var1"

    Set myProp = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set myProp = Me.CustomDocumentProperties(myPropName)
    On Error GoTo 0

    If myProp Is Nothing Then
        myStr = "Missing Property: " & myPropName
    Else
        myStr = myProp.Value
    End If

    For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets
        wkSht.PageSetup.RightFooter = myStr
    Next wkSht

End Sub

<<snipped>>

--

Dave Peterson
0
On 15 mai, 01:48, Kelie <kf9...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems the CDP content does not update once inserted into a
> workbook, when you change the CDP afterwards. Here is how I tested: I
> used Macro1 to add a CDP called "VAR1"; then I used Macro2 and Macro2
> to insert the CDP into one cell and the footer; then I manually
> changed CDP "VAR1" to something else, but the workbook does not update
> to reflect the change. Btw, I tried saving the workbook. What did I
> miss? Thank you!
>
> Sub Macro1()
> =A0 =A0 Dim dp As DocumentProperties
> =A0 =A0 Set dp =3D ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties
> =A0 =A0 dp.Add "VAR1", False, msoPropertyTypeString, "RED & BLUE"
> End Sub
>
> Sub Macro2()
> =A0 =A0 Range("A1").Select
> =A0 =A0 ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 =3D "BEFORE " &
> ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("VAR1") & " AFTER"
> End Sub
>
> Sub Macro3()
> =A0 =A0 Dim wkSht As Worksheet
> =A0 =A0 For Each wkSht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 wkSht.PageSetup.RightFooter =3D
> ActiveWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties("VAR1")
> =A0 =A0 Next wkSht
> End Sub

Good afternoon,

I had the same problem in the past of having created my own functions
to customize my eXcel sheets. The solution seems to be (at least it
worked for me) to have the instruction "Application.Volatile" at the
beginning of the function. Then, each time the sheet is recalculated
(at opening or activating the sheet or printing) then the function is
recalculated.
Example:
In the VBA environment attached to the "ThisWorkbook" space I write
this little sub:
Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean)
    Application.Volatile
    Dim wkSht As Worksheet
    MsgBox "entering sub ***Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel)"
    MsgBox myPageCenterHeader
    'For Each wkSht In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    '    wkSht.PageSetup.CenterHeader =3D myPageCenterHeader
    'Next wkSht
    Cancel =3D True
    MsgBox "exiting sub ***Workbook_BeforePrint, 'Cancel' set to true,
so printing is canceled!"
End Sub
In the VBA environment I create (if not already done) a "Module":
right click on the VBA project name (if your file is toto.xls your VBA
project should be named "VBAProject (toto.xls)") option "Insert/
Module". This creates a VBA folder "Modules" into the VBA project and
then a module "Module1" into that VBA folder.
Double click on that "Module1" name and VBA opens the code window.
In that window just type a function like this one if you like:
' This function to be called by Sub "Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As
Boolean)"
' Workbook_BeforePrint() sub is to be placed into the "ThisWorkbook"
VBA space
' so that it is called each time the print event is generated (when
print action
' is invoked).
Function myPageCenterHeader() As String
    Application.Volatile
    Dim s As String

    With ThisWorkbook.CustomDocumentProperties
        s =3D "Registered Version: " & .Item("Fortis_ICT_DocVersion") &
_
        " -- Registered version date: " & _
        Format(.Item("Fortis_ICT_DocDate"), "dddd, dd mmmm yyyy",
vbMonday)
    End With

    myPageCenterHeader =3D s

End Function

Because the code contains the instruction "Application.Volatile" it
should recalculate each time needed.

I hope it will help you.

Gilles

how can i search for sheet with any part of sheet name
hi every on i need code for userform of textbox and listbox to search for any sheet in workbook with any part of that sheet name on i enter on textbox to populate on listbox all sheets named contain that enterd text on textbox . any help appreciated . thanks This code takes a string and searches the sheet name for it. Set strData to your textbox value and instead of msgbox, do a listbox.add Dim strData As String strData = "Dat" For i = 1 To ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Count For j = 1 To Len(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name) - Len(strData) + 1 If UCase(Mid(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).N...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Change name in From section
How do I change how my name is displayed in the From section of my mailbox? Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, click Properties.=20 On the General tab you can change the displayed name. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "kabutton" <kabutton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:72ADFCC4-487B-45D8-AA62-E597CFFF44E8@microsoft.com... > How do I change how my name is displayed in the From section of my = mailbox? ...

OMA Log on name
Hi, I want users to be able to logon to OMA without having to set the user@domain.com I want them to be able to log on with their AD account/password only. Is this feasible? Thanks. Hi everyone, Here's how it's done. Administrative Groups--> First Administrative Group-->Servers-->Servername-->Protocols--> HTTP-->Exchange-->OMA Right Click, Properties --> "ACCESS" tab ... select Authentication type in the name of your domain in the Default Domain. Regards, "John-Trinec" wrote: > Hi, > > I want users to be able to logon...

Insert trigger

Control Name when New workbook opened from a template
How can I control the name of a new workbook opened from template? Such as using MyWorkbook.xlt to open MyWorkBookToday.xls instead of MyWorkbook1.xls. Thanks, Steve -- SC from Lubbock, Texas The name of the file (including the extension) is set when you (or the user) saves the file. I don't think you can control how excel names workbooks that are created based on template files. Well, you could provide a macro that creates the file and then saves the file with the name (and location) you want. SC in Texas wrote: > > How can I control the name of a new work...

XL 2000 Changes File Name for Save
When I save my Excel spreadsheet, Excel adds a 1 to the file name (file.xls becomes file1.xls). When I remove the 1 and save it, it responds with the overwrite message? It just started doing this several weeks ago and I can't figure out why. Anyone know what's going on? Are you sure that the additional 1 is added when you're doing the save? Could it have been added when you were opening the workbook? If you try it again, do you see: File1 (instead of File.xls) in the title bar? If yes, then it sounds like you've opened the file via a double click in windows explorer. And ...

inserting hrs and minutes

Variable field names?
Hi I am trying to execute the following code: - strSQL = strSQL & Nz([" & strCOM_Year & "], 0) where strCOM_Year is a string I want the system to use as a field name. It doesn't like this. Keeps saying 'can't find the field "|" referred to in you expression', even though I can clearly see in the debug window that the current value of strCOM_Year is "2006/2007". i.e. I am looking for the value in the field called 2006/2007. Any ideas? Stapes Stapes wrote: > Hi > > I am trying to execute the following code: - > > str...

Worksheet name in cell formula
I asked this question a while ago and got a prompt answer which I thought was what I wanted but alas its not... I want to be able to change my worksheet names.....ie: from Sheet 1, Sheet 2, etc etc.....to something more meaningful.....eg Sales, Expenses....etc etc.... and have these changes reflect on the worksheet. For example, I might want Sheet 1 Cell A1 to say.....This is the Sales worksheet (assuming I have renamed it to Sales). The answer I was given some time back worked.....but it changed the formula on every worksheet to reflect the name of the last changed sheet. By this I mean.....

Message headers, attachments, and the message body may be lost in Outlook 2003 when you reply to an e-mail message that contains a References header that exceeds 1,000 bytes
Hi All Refer to below hot fix, just wonder which microsoft patches can fix below issue, as installing the hot fix manually is killing http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B947350&x=11&y=10 thanks ...

Name Change Policy
Just wanted to get some opinions on how different IT departments handle name changes. When someones last name changes, do you change the logon ID? On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:25:02 -0800, SBasinger <SBasinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just wanted to get some opinions on how different IT departments handle name >changes. When someones last name changes, do you change the logon ID? > You rename the account and rename the alias. That will force RUS to stamp a different SMTP address on the account. You then edit the smtp addresses on the account to add the old smtp addr...

Scope for #define
I apologize about how simple the nature of this question is, but I never considered it until now. Is there a scope for macros? If i create a macro such as: int test(..) { #define hi "hi" } is the macro also defined outside of the function? Thanks "sleeper" <TheFakeJon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1158712901.229603.313030@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I apologize about how simple the nature of this question is, but I > never considered it until now. > > Is there a scope for macros? If i create a macro such as: > > int test(..) { >...

Unremoveable downloaded headers
I'm using Outlook 2002 in Windows XP Pro. I have about 100 downloaded headers that I cannot remove. I believe that these files do not exist on the server anymore. How can I remove these headers? I select them all and hit delete but nothing happens. I cannot move them either. Mike ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I had a similar problem as well in the inbox for 2003. I couldn't delete the header because it says I have to download it from t...

alternate UI for Define Names ??
I've just started using Define Names for storing formulas. I find thi to be very helpful, except the supplied interface (in Excel 2000) i limited (especially since some of the formulas are quite long.) I've figured out some workarounds that work fine, but I was wonderin if anyone has created a more flexible, or just larger, interface t Excel's Define Names. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions -- jmg09254 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmg092548's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2611 ...

Insert with a where condition

repeated custom headers and footers
i repeatedly use the same custom headers and footers on approximately 25 spreadsheets a month, can i create them ahead of time and automatically have them printed on my sheets, such as a template. thanks If you are using File>Page Setup--Headers and Footers, you should already be able to do so. Custom H/Fs are automatically added to the respective lists in the Setup dialog box. All you need to do is open the lists & pick which you want to use any time you print any content from any file. Once you make a choice it is used automatically until you select something different. If yo...

Insert

how to insert data in a table

Using Named Range for filename
I have a workbook that references various other workbooks on the server. All the files relate to the current month, so every month we do a find/replace to update the filenames. What I would like to do is store the filenames in the workbook and have each on as a named range. So instead of the formula =[g:\finance\shared]book1.xls!a2 I can use =book1!a2 I've tried doing this but each time it opens up the file explorer window and asks for a file. Thanks in advance David How about just making each one of your stored names as a Hyperlink? Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "...

How do I delete the header in my worksheet?
I used the blank for header instead of footer and now cannot delete the header portion on my worksheet. What do I do next? File > Page setup > Header/Footer > Custom header... Thenb clear right, center, and left. -- Gary's Student gsnu200711 The information I received was correct, I just did something wrong myself! I think I forgot to save before getting out because my instructer did the same thing and it worked, of course. Thanks again. "quiltingstudent" wrote: > I used the blank for header instead of footer and now cannot delete the > header port...