initial post on possible problem with csv files

I don't have all the info yet but before I spend any time on this is there
any known issues with Excel 2002 sp2 opening .csv files incorrectly? I have
a report of a csv file opening fine in excel 97 but the same file is not
formatted correctly when opened in Excel 2002 sp2... apparently all data
gets stuffed into one column instead of it correctly separating columns
according to the comma delimited file.

any info would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.

0
noone1 (387)
7/27/2004 5:37:32 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe it's not excel that's really at fault.

You may want to look at your regional settings and make sure that the separator
inside the file matches the list separator in the regional settings.

In win98, I can get to the regional settings applet via:

Windows Start Button|Settings|Control panel|regional settings applet|

Then look at the Number tab.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Maybe it's not excel that's really at fault.
>
> You may want to look at your regional settings and make sure that the
separator
> inside the file matches the list separator in the regional settings.
>
> In win98, I can get to the regional settings applet via:
>
> Windows Start Button|Settings|Control panel|regional settings applet|
>
> Then look at the Number tab.
>

> djc wrote:
> >
> > I don't have all the info yet but before I spend any time on this is
there
> > any known issues with Excel 2002 sp2 opening .csv files incorrectly? I
have
> > a report of a csv file opening fine in excel 97 but the same file is not
> > formatted correctly when opened in Excel 2002 sp2... apparently all data
> > gets stuffed into one column instead of it correctly separating columns
> > according to the comma delimited file.
> >
> > any info would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
noone1 (387)

Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc
Good morning all! I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure. I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create test data files. I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was created in the same folder. Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from scratch) , created new code m...

Converting money file #2
I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? Ask GnuCash? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B649AC52-FEDE-4B71-8E69-23299B71BB89@microsoft.com... >I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? GnuCash imports QIF. Money exports QIF. Assuming GnuCash does sane things with the iimports, that'd be better than nothi...

Is it possible to create a pre-download rule in Outlook ?
Hi there ! I would like to control spam and make a rule in Outlook to analyze the headers and only dnload the messages really addressed to my alias. Is this possible with vba or any other way ?? Thanks/Brgds Joao Outlook will only act upon mail AFTER it has been downloaded to your in-box. It has been suggested that you use the remote mail option to examine your headers and then selectively download your messages after deleting spam. I have not tried this as I am on a broadband connection and do not wish to go back to dialup. However, it is one possibility. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outl...

Excel 2007 painfully slow to open files
Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) files by double clicking either the file or a shortcut. If I have Excel open and go through the ribbon menu to open the file from within Excel it opens immediately - it is only slow when opening a file via shortcut or double clicking the file with Excel closed. Is there a fix for this? Wowbagger wrote: > Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am > finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) f...

Tutorial On Using Windows Vista Compressed Files Capabilities
Where can I find a link or tutorial on using Windows Vista's Compressed Files Capabilities? I am of need to create several Zipped Compressed Files. I am not interested in third party software. Thank you Eddy. Very simple - Right click the file ( or Files ) and from the context menu place your pointer over "Send To". From the secondary menu choose "Compressed (Zipped) File". "Eddy" <Eddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E75733F-4757-4253-9277-BC15273789C7@microsoft.com... > Where can I find a link or tutorial on usi...

Big Problem Sending
Out of the blue on Thursday, Outlook stopped sending my email. It's just racking up in my outbox. I checked all the regular stuff several times (tools-accounts-servers- smtp) and that all seems correct. I even spent over an hour on the phone with SBC today, and they say the server is fine and tried some troubleshooting activities to try to help, to no avail. I'm losing my mind and I NEED HELP! I'm going to start losing clients if I can't get my email sent out. Please Help! Are you getting any error messages when you try to send? If so, what are they? -- Jeff Stephens...

OL 2003 registry or installn problem
Outlook 2003 (part of office 2003 suite) opens and forgets password for email accounts. Tried to open tools-email account and I got operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. also can' view Outlook store location, can't open property of folder w/o getting error message tried restart in control panel-mail, can't see any account for any of the profiles. tried restoring form office settings and failed tried repair and no better result what else can I do other than total uninstall / re-install and still keep the app't, tasks, reminders for the m...

Importing Excel file without server access
I'm automating the process of emailing query results as an Excel file attachment to one recipeint. The recipient will complete data in the Excel file. My problem is that our company will not give this person access to our server, therefore he cannot upload his updated Excel file to one of our drives where I can then access it, import and update my table. There is nobody that he can email the file to either. I believe, however, that he'll have access to unpload a file to our company's SIFT site. Is there a way, through automation, that I can then import the file from ...

Problem with resources in MFC extension DLL
Hi, I have an MFC extension dll and in the destructor of one of the classes it exports I'm trying to access a string declared in its String Table, but I can't. It keeps loading an empty string. I'm guessing it's because the resources are unloaded before calling the destructor. Am I right? Thanks Mikel You have not explained what you are attempting to do. It seems that you are saying that the destructor is being called *from the main program* at some (undefined) point in time. Or is it being called from within the DLL itself? Also, it is not clear that the destructor, w...

Excel Image not displayed when the physical file is N/A
Hello there, I'm having a problem on images that's generated from excel. I'm using the url method to generate the excel file and I'm aware that the images are stored in a physical location and the images won't be able to be displayed if the physical file is not available. I'm able to display the images out when the excel report is generated; however, when we save it as the default xls extension file, and open it in another location, the images are not displayed, as only the physical file path is being stored in the excel file. I've tested it on a c...

Problem opening office xp excel files
Hi all, I have office xp and when I click on an excel file, Excel will run bu it doesn't open the file, it leaves it empty and gray. Problem goe away if I do file, open, filename. Can anybody help? This problem happens to all my excel files, not just a particular one Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Tools / Options / General / If 'Ignore other Applications' is checked then uncheck it. -- Regards Ken..........................

Is it really possible to just send an email?
I am one of those people who dreads coming back to Outlook. Here is the reason why. All I want to do is send one email that resides with nine others in my outbox. I have spent 4 hours trying to figure out how to send one stupidly simple email. I have just completed writing 30 pages of code for a website but I can't send one email with Outlook. Can somebody please put me out of my misery and tell me how to do it or what is this program supposed to be used for. "cjcoombes" <cjcoombes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DD5E6E6-B45A-46AA-BF39-9A77B...

SFO
Hi, We have an issue at the moment and wanted to check to see if anyone else was getting this before rasied a case with Microsoft directly. Basically when using the CRM Email button in SFO to create an email, we click on the Regarding button which brings up a search box where you can search for accounts/users etc. If you have an account in your CRM called Leeds & Birmingham (for example) we perform a search for 'Leeds & Birmingham' and it comes back with no results. If you search for 'Leeds' it finds the account and if you search for 'Leeds &amp;' i...

Public Folder Contact Problem #3
I am running exchange 5.5 sp4. I have a couple of public folders used for maintaining contacts. We use one folder called "recruiting" for maintaining job applicants and their information. We have another folder called "employees" which have our employees in them. The idea here is that we add the job applicant, and then at the bottom of the contact, in the contacts section, we add the person who is going to interview them. If I open a recruiting contact, and at the bottom of the contact, where it says "Contacts", add an employee from the "employee&qu...

problem with IXMLDOMDocument's method loadXML
I'm trying to parse XML file using MSXML. This is my code: //first establishing connection, downloading xml file from http server and store it in CHttpFile object (pFile) // (...) CFile file; file.Open("c:\\test.xml", CFile::OpenFlags::modeRead,0); int size = file.GetLength(); char *str = new char[size+1]; file.Read(str, file.GetLength()+1); file.Close(); _variant_t varOut((bool)TRUE); varOut = pDomDocument->loadXML(str); if ((bool)varOut == TRUE) { //parse the document } else { MSXML2::IXMLDOMParseErrorPtr errPtr = pDomDocument->GetparseError(); CString err...

Make ZIP files from ASP.NET with VB
Hi somebody have an example or an idea to how to make ZIP files from a folder? Thanks a lot On 9/17/2010 2:14 PM, Marcos G. wrote: > Hi somebody have an example or an idea to how to make ZIP files from a > folder? > > Thanks a lot <http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=zip+libaries+for+net&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=m1&aql=&oq=zip+libaries+for+net&gs_rfai=CsSyRB82TTOGbJJG6hASEv7n2CwAAAKoEBU_QB9Oo&psj=1&fp=207a1c3c62b92b94> Have a look on codeplex (http://www.codeplex.com) - there are severa...

Follow up to previous post: Need code to import into access/Autonumber
I was trying to tihnk of solutions to the table in access being out of order when i use: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet in code to import an excel file. 1. I could read the excel file from access. Does anyody have access code to open an exel sheet and read it into a table in access in code? 2. have the user maintain an autonumber like field. THis way, I can have this to sort on when I import it. Does excel have an autonumber field? Thanks Some sample code for reading EXCEL spreadsheet and writing to recordset that may get you started: Dim lngColumn As Long Dim xlx As Object, xlw As O...

Purchase Orders
Does anybody know of any RMS Add-On where you can Create a Purchase Order by importing an item list from a CSV text file? We have a customer that gets an excel spreadsheet from their supplier of all the items that they should be receiving via UPS. The customer doesnt know before hand what they will be receiving until they get the excel spreadsheet. Any Ideas? I'm new to RMS, so forgive me if this info is slightly inaccurate, try it out first. If you create a blank P.O for adding item manually, on the screen where you enter your items, right click, and import. Then you choose you...

outlook freezes attaching files
Outlook freezes when users try to attach files stored on a network drive. Only some users have this problem, if I do the same with a different login it work just fine. Any ideas.....?? ...

Is it possible to format *individual* gridlines?
I would like to make the 0 line (X-axis) bold, to emphasise when my graphed line drops below zero, but it seems as though I can only format all of the gridlines together. Is it possible to format a single gridline alone? Hi, No you can not format individual gridlines. To get the effect you can use a dummy series and format that. See here for more information. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html Cheers Andy newaglish wrote: > I would like to make the 0 line (X-axis) bold, to emphasise when my graphed > line drops below zero, but it seems as though I can only format a...

.PAB file
I have a .PAB file, but would like to tranfer contact details to the .PST file. I have Windows XP Pro + Office 2000. Jay <nospam> wrote: > I have a .PAB file, but would like to tranfer contact details to the > .PST file. Outlook's Import function should allow it. -- Brian Tillman Thanks Brian, I will try that. Out of curiosity, for which version of Office did the .PAB file stop being necessary? I gather that it is no longer needed. Jay "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O8X$OSqIHHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... Jay <n...

Excel temp files in network dir
I have users that are accessing a network shares to their excel files. I often see files that are 8 characters long Ex(D8710B20) and without extensions, left over in their dir. I have read MS article 814068 and understand that these are created during the save function; however, i have ruled out permissions and antivirus as the cause. These files consume a lot of network space. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. Delete them? "les" <les.becker@ifcosystems.com> wrote in message news:242501c37332$34e6b600$a601280a@phx.gbl... : I have users that are accessing...

Discussion of Money Plus (M08) feature: Link to Image or File
The ability to associate a scanned receipt, photo, or other document to a transaction has been frequently requested. Money Plus (M08) adds a feature that allows a link to such a document. There are articles about this in Help. Enter "link" into the search box of Help to see a list of articles. In Advanced register, you can do the linking in a credit card, bank, asset, liability, savings, checking account, as well as the Cash Transactions register of an Investment account. The only transactions that I have found that you cannot link from are a loan account and the Investment Trans...

A/R Subledger Posting
We are using GP 7.0. How can we setup the A/R subledger in GP to post to the GL in summary form. Currently it is posting through to the ledger in detail form. Thank you, Setup-posting-posting. Choose sales as series, and choose all, or whichever transaction you are entereing. MG "KBrown" <KBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F04DABD-2700-4620-8DCC-FF625092A8CE@microsoft.com... > We are using GP 7.0. How can we setup the A/R subledger in GP to post to > the > GL in summary form. Currently it is posting through to the ledger in > detail...

Trial Posting
We have just starte the implementation of GP. A batch job will post transactions into GP however, we do not want it to committ it until a recon with the originating system is complete with GP trial postings. Is it possible to run reports against a batch posting that is trial and not committed to GP? Is it possible to make edits in GP to the trial postings and then commit? I assume you are creating a batch, and then not wanting it to post? You can run a batch edit list of it, still make changes etc.. Once you post it though, it is "committed" and cannot be changed. I hope thi...