increase cell character limit

Hi all,

Simple question that is driving me crazy.  I'm making a table
containing text and numbers.  One of the cells in this table has 1459
characters.  For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the
bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off.  I can only see them if I
increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll
complicate other things (readability, etc).  So, how do I get all the
text/characters to display in this cell?

Thanks

--
Weissme
Weissme's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34044

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You've reached the limit of DISPLAYing the data - the cell can HOLD the data
but not display it well. I recommend you put all the data inside a Textbox
which can display it.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"Weissme" <Weissme.2bx2o3_1154529005.751@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Weissme.2bx2o3_1154529005.751@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi all,
>
> Simple question that is driving me crazy.  I'm making a table
> containing text and numbers.  One of the cells in this table has 1459
> characters.  For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the
> bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off.  I can only see them if I
> increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll
> complicate other things (readability, etc).  So, how do I get all the
> text/characters to display in this cell?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Weissme
> Weissme's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34044
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=567456

If you add alt-enters every 80-100 characters to force new lines within the
cell, you'll see more characters.

Weissme wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Simple question that is driving me crazy.  I'm making a table
> containing text and numbers.  One of the cells in this table has 1459
> characters.  For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the
> bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off.  I can only see them if I
> increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll
> complicate other things (readability, etc).  So, how do I get all the
> text/characters to display in this cell?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Weissme
> Weissme's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34044
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=567456

--

Dave Peterson
0
Weissme wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Simple question that is driving me crazy.  I'm making a table
> containing text and numbers.  One of the cells in this table has 1459
> characters.  For some reason, the last couple sentences won't fill the
> bottom of the cell; instead, they're cut off.  I can only see them if I
> increase the column width, but I don't want to do that since it'll
> complicate other things (readability, etc).  So, how do I get all the
> text/characters to display in this cell?
>
> Thanks

As Aaron would probably suggest, use Access and create a memo field to
hold all this text...<vbg>

Bill
0
wfsnopam (66)

merging cells excel 2003
Hello, I have a spreadsheet which has 3 headings each 3 columns wide. bcd - efg - ghi Now on the 2nd row each on of the 3 columns has been merged so you can write in the title, "Available for Monday" "Available Later" "Never Available". So far so good. But the columns below (about 100 of them) are not merged. |----------------|-----------------|----------------| |---|-----|------|----|-----|------|---|-----|------| |---|-----|------|----|-----|------|---|-----|------| |---|-----|------|----|-----|------|---|-----|------| .... .... |---|-----|------|----|-----|---...

Formatting Cells to display Date: month/day/year
I am a newbie when it comes to Excel and after doing some searchin through threads I couldn't find the exact answer I needed so her goes: [image: http://www.geocities.com/danmann81/timesheet.jpg] The red box is the area I'm trying to format. What I want to do is se the formula for dates so that the dates update automatically withou having to change them manually every pay period. I hope that mak sense. Thank You Danie -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi your link does not work :-) You may try to avoid attachments/links and describe your issue in plain text ...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

How do I search for the character *
I have a spreadsheet that is going to be exported elsewhere. It has a bunch of text strings terminated by *. An asterix char. I want to delete all of the asterix's. Of course, when I search on *, it brings up everythin in any field. thanks Hi! Search for ~* Biff "SwampYankee" <johndillworth@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147378912.832788.154210@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have a spreadsheet that is going to be exported elsewhere. It has a > bunch of text strings terminated by *. An asterix char. I want to > delete all of the asterix's. O...

Sum variable range of column entries in offset cell
Hi chaps, I’m trying to look up a column of values from an offset cell and sum the column values (or depending on formula used, work out the average, median or mode of the data range in the column). The hard bit is I need to specify (using a variable number value in another cell) how many cells up from the bottom of the column are included in my calculations. Here’s a simplified example to (hopefully) try and explain more clearly: A B C D E F G 1 5 2 2 5 3 0 4 3 5 1 6 ...

Dealing with over-the-limit mailbox users
Gurus, I have recently taken a new post as an Exchange Administrator. The first thing I did was look at mailbox sizes on the storage groups. Many were large, some more than 1GB. I would like to send out a form email to the users but only starting off on a one-on-one basis until I get my wording down. I'm sure many of you in these groups are your companies Exchange Admins, and my question to you is what does a typical email to your end-user who is over the limit (and possibly even requesting more space) look like? What I am trying to get them to do is archive mail to local PST f...

Blank Cell instead of #N/A
Hi, =VLOOKUP(A40,'WITH GOOD'!$A$2:$D$1000,2) Is there a way to show "blank cell" instead of #N/A in the cell "A40"? Thanks Try: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A40,'WITH GOOD'!$A$2:$D$1000,2)),"",VLOOKUP(A40,'WITH GOOD'!$A$2:$D$1000,2)) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- <learning_codes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:172f821a-f265-4032-a542-8f0ef893e5bd@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > =VLOOKUP(A40,'WITH GOOD'!$A$2:$D$1000,2) > > Is there a way to show "blank cell&q...

Increase size of pie chart within control?
Is there a way to increase the size of a pie chart within its control? I have a limited amount of space in which to display the chart, so the overall size of the control is restricted. But within it there's quite a lot of "wasted" white space and I would like to make the pie itself larger and more legible. Can do, or not? Many thanks CW In design mode, double-click on the chart within the control to select it for editing. Then use the sizing handles to resize the chart area to the size of the control; this does not have to be square. Click on the plot area to select it ...

If cell is Bold then 1, if cell is Italics then 2?
I have a list of hundreds of cells, the cells are either Bold, Italics, or Regular. I want those cells that are bold to result in 1 in another column. those in italics to will result in 2. Am I able to write a "if" function that achieve this? If not, what should I do? Please kindly advise One way, assuming data is in col. A: 1. Press Ctrl+F3. 2. Define the name "istyle" (no quotes) and in the "Refers To:" box put: =IF(GET.CELL(20,!$A1),1,IF(GET.CELL(21,!$A1),2,"")) 3. In cell B1 put: =istyle 4. Copy the formula down. 5. If you'...

Calendar in Cell Validation
I want to implement a cell validation such that when the user attempts to input a date, a "list" box-like functionality pops up that has a calendar and the user may then choose the date by picking with the mouse How would I implement this? Thanks Jerry Try the following Web site. http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut07.htm This site's author covers this in a tutorial, but also provides downloads. Mark <jerry.ranch@pioneer.com> wrote in message news:2r9t51pjmumjk7rjpopo7fuamg81gqkljq@4ax.com... >I want to implement a cell validation such that when the user attempts &g...

How do I find a column number for a cell containing a value
Hi, I have a range of cells A1:CZ1 all of which have different values. I need to find the column number for a cell that contains a certain value. I know I can use cells.find which returns the value rather than the cell reference, and I have seen other posts in this group to return a number when the cell is known range(ColAddress).cells(1,1).column I can easily put this in a simple loop but I was wondering if there was a smarter way that could do it in one line using built-in functions. If it was a loop it would have to be processed many times for the different values I n...

Copying exact formula instead, rather than with usu. Excel's helpful cell adjustments/increments?
Excel's mthod of copying formulas while taking into account new cells is usu. really vital. i.e., a formula in A1 when copy/pasted into B1 automatically copies adjusted for B1, C1 will show C1, etc. Every once in a blue moon, though, we need to copy the exact formula when the information just needs to be replicated exactly in other cells. Is there a special keystroke to do that? Tx. Set the cell references as absolute, e.g. $A$2 instead of A2 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "StargateFan" <IDon'tAcceptSpam@IDon'tAcceptSpam...

cHANGIN A CELL COLOUR BASED ON A CELL VALUE
I would like to change a cell's background colour if a certain value is entered in another cell. For e.g., if Yes is entered in cell a5 i would like to have cell c9 in green. I would be grateful if you could provide me a formula that could do this for me. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200604/1 No formula, conditional formatting. See http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "mohd21uk via OfficeKB.com" <u20517@uwe> wrote in message ne...

Linking cells
I am working on some budgets for my employer, I have about 15 differen spreadsheets that info is pulled from to compile in to 1 spreadsheet. There are many links, as you can imagine, to pull this info in and the all work pretty well with one exception. If there is too much text i one cell that I am trying to link to my main spreadsheet, it cuts of (most the time mid-sentence) and does not pull all of the informatio from the original sheet. The only way it will pull the info in it entirety is if I have both/all spreadsheet(s) I am pulling from open a the same time, which defeats my purpose of...

Query SQL server db with cell value parameter
I want to supply criteria value using a cell on the spreadsheet to contain a date. Can't seem to figure out how to do this. On the Connections - Properties - Definition dialog, "Parameters" is grayed out. ...

Conditional change to cell color
I would like to make the color of a cell become "yellow" by formula or automatically, when the number in the cell exceeds a certain quantity. Any help? Richard wrote: > I would like to make the color of a cell become "yellow" by formula or > automatically, when the number in the cell exceeds a certain > quantity. Any help? Format-Conditional Formatting. "Cell value is greater than", 2, format to yellow Format | Conditional Formatting will do this for you. Select the cells in which you want this to happen. Then, just choose the value you want, ...

How do I change the color for highlighting cells
I am relatively new to Excel and have just started using Excel 2007. The color used when highlighting a cell is a very faint grey and hard to see. I was wondering if there was a way to change it This is a problem that several others have complained about - you're not alone! There doesn't seem to be a good way to do anything to change it using Excel 2007's 'native' settings. You can try changing the color scheme, but I personally don't see much improvement using any of them. However, you may try Chip Pearson's RowHighlighter add-in and see if that doesn&#...

EXCEL can't sum cell with SPACE " "
I have imported data from some text file to do sum in EXCEL, as it is always easy to SUM with EXCEL. But here I surprise EXCEL can't do that simple sum, B4 has value "339 " in cell seen as 339 B5 has value "2079 " in cell seen as 2079 Now i tried with =SUM(B4:B5), yield 0.000 I have checked what's wrong with in base cell, found excess space" � after last digit. I have billions of data to sum; I can't remove that space manually. i am attaching that file for your ref. i have also tried with TRIM() function but that also didn't work Any function o...

Drivers for percentage increase
I am trying to set up a driver to include in my budget profile so that my managers can select the percentage from a driver and see on each budget line what the outcome will be i.e staff costs may be calculated at 150,000 but if I used my driver to calculate an increase of 3.5% that would change the staff costs to 155,250. Can anyone help? Regards Jo I am not sure what you question is but this may help:- In cell A 2 I have 150,000 In cell B 2 I have 3.5% In cell C 2 I have:- =(A2*B2)+A2 - and this returns 155,250 to cell C 2. If my comments have helped please h...

Possibility to quick modify protected cells in shared documents
I am sharing a workbook with my staff. I am looking for a possibility to change a cell content from specific cell while the other users cannot. (I know you can lock the cells and un-protect, but that's only possible if I disable sharing) The best would be if a password request pop-up appears after I focus on the cell. What is the VBcode if I need it? Bart 2003 Your code won't be able to unprotect a worksheet either--the same rules for sharing applies to it. But you can use: Tools|Protection|Allow users to edit ranges and give that range a password that only you know. You'll ha...

How can I print current row in same place on paper but not print surrounding cells???
Dear Sir/Madam, I have produced a Spreadsheet whereas when someone makes a payment i shows as the date of payment in cell B10 and the amount in cell C10 an any missed payment charge in cell d10. What I want to do is make it s that when a new payment is made, the spreadsheet moves to a new row i the section (of which will then be the last row, below the last paymen details) and then I want to be able to print this new row only, bu still have it show in the same place on paper, so that each time print the updated 'payment' details, it will only print the las line/row and as such i'...

to increase quantity
hello everybody, i have a question: i want to use project to calculate the delivery time of a machine component. I know the bill of material and the time of every step (manufacturing, mounting, etc.). I don't have problem to create a gantt for this item: but i have problem when i want to create a gantt for a number greater than one of my item. I think that i have to use a function that increase the duration of each step of the process, but i don't know how. Please help me. thank you -- sentenza ------------------------------------------------------------------------ s...

cell entry expire
I'm trying to try to make a cell entry expire on a given date. It will be used for a promotional discount that only runs for a set time period. Anyone have a sugestion. -- rbell Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gateway Maybe you can use a formula that puts the discount in (0 or whatever you want): =IF(TODAY()>=DATE(2005,7,13),0,.15) So when the date is July 13, 2005 or later, the discount is 0. If before, it's 15%. rbell wrote: > > I'm trying to try to make a cell entry expire on a given date. It will > be used for a promotional discount that onl...

WHY DO I HAVE TO CLICK ON THE CELL & ENTER FOR THE VLOOKUP TOWORK
I have set a VLOOKUP formula to match account numbers. How ever I have to click double click on the cell before the formula recognises the account number. I have to do this for each cell. I have tried different formats. It is not saving me that much time. It sounds like you have Calculation set to Manual. If you set it to Automatic, it should work OK. (Go to Tools/Options/Calculation). Rgds, ScottO "Half Manx" <Half Manx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BC9C18-0ADA-4BE3-A9D4-B264CD08B25E@microsoft.com... | I have set a VLOOKUP formula to match account num...

Disabling Cell References
Lets say cell B1 is =SUM($A$1:$A$2) if I drag cell A1 somewhere else the formula doesn't change. However if the formula in B1 is =VLOOKUP($A$1,D1:E2,2,0), Excel will replace A1 in the formula with whatever I dragged that cell to. Is it possible to stop this? Chris Cameron Camerons@epud.net =vlookup(indirect("a1"),d1:e2,2,0) should always point at A1--no matter what happens! camerons wrote: > > Lets say cell B1 is =SUM($A$1:$A$2) if I drag cell A1 somewhere else the > formula doesn't change. However if the formula in B1 is > =VLOOKUP($A$1,D1:E2,2,0), Exce...