Including double-quotes in strings

I want to use the substitute function to replace commas "," with
double-quotes.

Is there a way to specify double quotes in strings?

0
hall (126)
8/18/2005 3:58:14 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi!

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","""")

Will replace all commas with "

Biff

"Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message
>I want to use the substitute function to replace commas "," with
> double-quotes.
>
> Is there a way to specify double quotes in strings?

0
biffinpitt (3172)
8/18/2005 6:14:01 AM
yeah. how about this.

keep your data in a database
and then when you need 2 different versions of the SAME DATA-- one with
commas and one with quotes; you dont need to copy and paste or anything
ridiculous-- you can have queries that do this for you.

it's a much more efficient way to work.

imagine-- instead of having the same data; copied in 2 places and
sorted in 2 different ways--  you can have 1 copy of the data and sort
it however you want using standard SQL syntax

0
aaron.kempf (776)

double forwarding
exchange 2003 front-end / back-end configuration, several accounts have forwarding set to internet email accounts (establish as contacts) which has been working fine. At some point messages from the internet to these users with forwarding set are getting two emails forwarded to the internet email account. This doesn't occur if a local mapi user sends the message - only one copy of the message is forwarded. Only if an outside (internet user) sends a message to an account forwarding to an outside user does the outside user get forwarded two copies of the email. We've determined th...

How to "un-compact" Outlook
I chose at one time to compact my outlook folders but don't like how it works. Is there a way to "un-compact" them and keep them from continuing to compact? ...

XmlResolver and xsl:include
Have been doing a fair amount of reading but at this point no joy. The scenario is - XSL template is stored within db. - Template has a xsl:include statement as <xsl:include href="inc.template.methods.xsl"/> I now I have to pass a resolver when I use the load method so that it understands the xsl include as in: ' object template is custom class to retrieve templates from the db dim template as new objTemplate dim myresolver as xmlresolver dim mytransfrom as xmltransform ' template.xmlDocRunTime returns a xmldocument object mytransform.load(template.xmlDocRunTim...

Best way to give a cell a "default value"?
What is the best way to give a cell a default value? What I mean by "default value" is that the cell should initially (when I first put something on the same row, say) have a certain value, say a constant or the same text I enter in some other cell on the same row, but I can later manually type over it without screwing up a formula or anything. For example, in the sheet I described in my other post from a few minutes ago, suppose I want to add a column called "tree". The Tree will be the same as the Name in most cases, so I would like Excel to automatically put th...

how do I make "Add-in" in Excel tools menu active? Its grey now
I want to use the Add-ins menu to add Analysis Toolpak. Anyidea how to make my greyed out Add-in in Tools active? Thanks I get this when I have Excel open, but do not have a workbook open. Make sure you have one open, or at lease a "new" one open. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Ant" wrote: > I want to use the Add-ins menu to add Analysis Toolpak. Anyidea how to make > my greyed out Add-in in Tools active? > > Thanks ...

How to: Multiple "if" statements?
NEWBIE ALERT*: OK, please bare with me. What is the method for combining multiple if statements in one cell's formula? In English, the formula would be something like: "If cell B3 is less than 1000 then display the price that is in cell F2, if cell B3 is more than 1000 but less than 2000 then display the price that is in cell F3..etc, etc..." Besides HOW to write that formula, I have a question: How many conditions can be combined in one formula? I have about 20 different "less than or greater than" items. Is this the best way to accomplish this? (I suspect NO...

ntbackup log says Exch IS doubled in size overnight
(I'll give this one a try here since no one in the SBS-newsgroup had the solution) Description: Suddenly my clients SBS 2003 backups took ~5 hrs to run compared to ~3 hrs before. When examining the logs I discovered that the IS\First Storage Group had increased to ~19 GB compared to ~9GB the day before. But the physical databasefiles only add up to >3GB alltogether. None of the users' mailboxes have grown particulary. The disk is 18GB only half full. It is as if the ~19GB seem to exist in the mind of ntbackup only. Any ideas on what causes this growth and how to fix it...

In Access, How do I hide records, but include them in the total
I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way I want, with total count, but how do i hide just the comp tickets. xeoimom wrote: >I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and >comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but >give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way >I want, with total count, but ...

#includes
I'm looking over my files this evening, and I'm noticing that some of my #includes (of my own header files) are in my .h files, while some are in my ..cpp files. Sometimes I have used incomplete class declarations as well. I have tried to find some good reading to help me understand this whole thing, but haven't so far. Could I get a bit of advice on this? I don't know if this is related, but one of my source files won't give me any of those "smart tips" when the cursor passes over various objects, unless it is something that I have declared in that file itsel...

alternate quoted text formatting?
Is there any way to change Outlook's behaviour vis-a-vi quoted text in replies. It uses vertical bars to indicate quote level, but these just don't show up (in any consistent way) when viewed in any non-Outlook mail client. I'd much prefer Outlook to use ">" for quoted text or at least some method that is not limited to viewing in Microsoft clients. The only way I can find to do this is to use the view all mail as plain text option, but then if I'm forwarded an e-mail from an Outlook user where there is already quoted text in the vertical bars style, these are jus...

Office v.X files don't open when double-clicked
With Word not running, double-click on a .doc file and Word opens, then opens the file. Close the file. Go to desktop and double-click file - Word app comes to the front but the file does not open. Same behavior with Excel and PPT files. (User hasn't reported any others, but that doesn't mean they don't do the same thing.) We have deinstalled and reinstalled Office (upped to 10.1.5), but that did not affect the problem. Any suggestions as to where to troubleshoot? Problem seems related to the Finder and not to Word, Excel or PowerPoint, but it manifests in the latter. See...

Double Metal Jacketed Gasket
Sinston Sealing Material Factory is one of main exporter & manufacturers of sealing= material & insulation material in China . lies in Cixi city belonging to Ningbo area o= f eastern coast in China. There are 10 series main products : Seals gasket, gland packing, gasket sheet, seal t= ools, rubber products, PTFE products, asbestos products, fiberglass products, ce= ramic fiber products & mechanical seals , High Standard and high quality are appoint= ed as fixed-point products by many domestic middle and big enterprises , are sold far= to Japan , South Korea , Brazil , ...

How do I get rid of the error "can't shift object off sheet"
I am using data groups and outline in excel 2003. When I want to minimize a grouping, I am receiving the error message "cant shift object off sheet" How do I solve this message On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:20:03 -0700, MStuck <MStuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using data groups and outline in excel 2003. When I want to minimize a >grouping, I am receiving the error message "cant shift object off sheet" > >How do I solve this message The usual cause of this is described here, along with the necessary fixes: http://support.microsoft.com/defau...

Including MDA information in transaction edit reports
GP 8.0 I would like to include MDA entry with the AP transaction edit list so the input can be reviewed before releasing a batch for posting. Same thing applies to our invoicing. What is the best way to accomplish this task? I have coded this once for a customer. The only method that can work seamlessly is a Dexterity customisation which uses a trigger to add extra lines into the temporary table used for the report just prior to printing. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (f...

The memory could not be "read".

XPath problem with dateTime strings comparison
Hello, I've got an XML file saved from DataSet. One table has datetime column (datatype - xs:dateTime). XML file fragment for example: <Root> <Element>2004-03-15T00:00:00.0000000+01:00</Element> <Element>2004-03-16T00:00:00.0000000+01:00</Element> <Element>2004-03-17T00:00:00.0000000+01:00</Element> <Element>2004-03-18T00:00:00.0000000+01:00</Element> </Root> I'm trying to get MyXmlNodeList using MyXmlDataDocument.DocumentElement.SelectNodes(MyXPathString) method, where MyXPathString, for example, should loo...

copy contents including colour
Hi In cells A1:B73 I have a list of contacts which are colour coded. What I want to be able to do is to be able to enter the name of 1 of the contacts in lets say G1 and it will search for that name in A1:B73 and automatically copy its colour code over. Many thanks for any help. Al Hi, I'm assuming that the colour codeing isn't a result of conditional formatting and it's simply a fill colour. To do this you need VB. Alt+F11 to open vb editor. Double click the worksheet that this data are on and paste the code in on the right. Close VB editor and type your name...

field contains "Planning"?
hi all, i have a field called status, which can have a few different values, eg. "Pre Planning", "Planning", "Plannning Appeal" i want to use conditional formatting on a continuous form to say that if the [STATUS] field contains the word "Planning" the backcolor will show as orange. (therefore showing all 3 stages as noted above as Orange, although they are 3 different things) if there is an alternative way to do this through code, that would also be welcome. can someone help? kirstie problem solved! "Kirstie Adam" <kirstiea@ecoss...

"FIND" bar is broken / missing
In IE8, when I click CTRL-F for the "Find on this page" bar, a BLANK bar appears but no controls on it. I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, but it made no difference. Any ideas? I used to use this feature a lot, so this is pretty frustrating. I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thank you. RecoverfileinRecycleBinwhileinDOS@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > In IE8, when I click CTRL-F for the "Find on this page" bar, a BLANK bar > appears but no controls on it. I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, but it > made no difference. Any id...

Factory-Reconditioned Ridgid 3-1/2" Round Head Framing Nailer ZRR350RHA
Price:$159.99 Image: http://megadiscountguru.info/image.php?id=B001LTZ8W4 Best deal: http://megadiscountguru.info/index.php?id=B001LTZ8W4 This is a factory reconditioned power tool. Reconditioned generally means that the tool has been returned to the manufacturer, who brings the tool back to like new condition. Some tools may contain cosmetic blemishes. Includes 3-1/2" Round Head Framing Nailer - ZRR350RHA, Wrench, Eye Protection, Carrying Bag With Shoulder Strap, Oil ...

Include a button on toolbar to include/exclude original text when.
When replying/forwarding a message you must go to thru several screens to change your base setting or highlight and delete the message. Add an optional button that would allow you to include/exclude as each message is opened for reply/forwarding. ...

"To" and address book
When writing an e-mail at work, I click the "to" and the "select names" box appears. On the right hand side, instead of saying "contacts" and allowing me to choose who to send it to, mine says "global address list", and underneath that the option of "contacts" appears. I have to remember to select "contacts" before looking up a name. Is there any way to set this automatically to just say "contacts" when the "select names" box appears? Thank you for your help. Depending on your Outlook version, which you...

Installation, "Wrong OS or OS version for application
Trying to install Money 2004, insert the CD and I get the disclaimer stating it may need additional componants and also stating anti-virus software may get in the way. I click OK and the error that comes up next is, "Installation of windows installer was not successful. Please install it manually by running instmsiu.exe from your Money CD. Then retry Money 2004 Setup.exe. I click on instmsiu.exe and the error message that comes up promptly reads as, "Wrong OS or OS version for application." I am, indeed, using Windows XP home edition--the rest of the minimum req&#...

News and Quotes Server
Has Microsoft solved their issue with their quotes server? I can't understand why they don't post a message that there is a problem and they are working on it. At least then we would know that when our sync process fails it is because of the quotes server and not our PC. ...