In todays world pdf is an important format BUT adobe makes our lifes complicated...

Hey,
I;m using PDFMaker 5.0 and i need to automate the conversion to pdf, I
am currently printing to a pdf file,

the problem is its asking me for a file name every time, how do i
bypass this prompt ?

from vba I would like to specify a name and save the file.

Can someone please help ??

Regards,
Alexandre

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

use _ACCESS_ in order to make your reports; and then just view with
snapshot viewer-- it is included with Office installation.

Adobe is too stupid to make reliable products.  Sorry.

-Aaron

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/6/2005 8:43:08 PM
aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote...
>use _ACCESS_ in order to make your reports; and then just view with
>snapshot viewer-- it is included with Office installation.
>
>Adobe is too stupid to make reliable products.  Sorry.

Talk about stupid!

And what should the OP do if all the people who'd be reading the files
he needs to produce have Acrobat Reader but not the snapshot viewer?
Should the OP become a snapshot-wanker just like Aaron?!

0
hrlngrv (1990)
7/7/2005 12:18:06 AM
ROFL!!!! Well done, Harlan. I'm a firm believer of "Use the right freaking
app", but Aaron takes it too far.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote...
> >use _ACCESS_ in order to make your reports; and then just view with
> >snapshot viewer-- it is included with Office installation.
> >
> >Adobe is too stupid to make reliable products.  Sorry.
>
> Talk about stupid!
>
> And what should the OP do if all the people who'd be reading the files
> he needs to produce have Acrobat Reader but not the snapshot viewer?
> Should the OP become a snapshot-wanker just like Aaron?!

0
ng1 (1444)
7/7/2005 12:32:48 AM
"Alexandre" <alexandre.brisebois@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hey,
> I;m using PDFMaker 5.0 and i need to automate the conversion to pdf,
> I am currently printing to a pdf file,
>
> the problem is its asking me for a file name every time, how do i
> bypass this prompt ?
>
> from vba I would like to specify a name and save the file.
>
> Can someone please help ??
>
> Regards,
> Alexandre

Have a look in the help.  I would be suprised if PDFMaker doesn't have
an option to automate the file names.

PDFCreator (for example) has an option to use the following as a file
name:

YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.pdf

HTH,

Alan.

PS:  PDFCreator is free software - look on Sourceforge.

0
alan4377 (173)
7/7/2005 3:35:35 AM
Thankx Alan,

but here I am a slave of CSC and cannot install anything new on the
computers, if it were for my self it woul dbe something i would do  in
a second but this is for a geographicly divided departement...

I will keep scratchin g my head and writing nice letters to adobe.

Thanks for the access idea, i just dont know how im going to go about
it though ... have an example ?

Alexandre

THE SNAPSHOT VIEWER COMES INSTALLED WITH OFFICE YOU IDIOT

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/7/2005 4:21:07 PM
go play with your spreadsheets you dork.

PDF is a crappy app.. I mean.. Adobe Acrobat has got to be the buggiest
software ever written.  Makes me wonder if the dorks from redmond are
really pulling the levers for Adobe..

Both MS and ADOBE smoke crack and can't make a decent, stable,
reliable, high-performance app.
I just wish that it was Macromedia that bought Adobe instead of the
other way around.

Macromedia-- now there is a good company.

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/7/2005 4:22:48 PM
yeah do a find for northwind.. open a report and 'export to snapshot
format'

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/7/2005 4:23:25 PM
aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote...
>THE SNAPSHOT VIEWER COMES INSTALLED WITH OFFICE YOU IDIOT

No it doesn't, moron. It may come on the Office CD, it may even be a
default install option when installing Access, but it's *NOT* part of
Office Standard, so people who don't have Access almost certainly won't
have Snapshot viewer. But they will likey have Acrobat viewer, so guess
what file format SMART people would use?

0
hrlngrv (1990)
7/7/2005 5:39:40 PM
Thank you Harlan,

well for whom ever desired to know how to accomplish what it was i
wanted to accomplish with pdfmaker 5 I have found a way to bypass the
annoying popup. Yes its more steps but it works, makes me feel good
that it works and makes my boss happy there for im happy :)

heres some code for all of you.

Dim GenericReportPsFile As String
            Dim GenericReportPdfFile As String

            GenericReportPsFile = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\"
& GenericReportTitle & ".ps"
            GenericReportPdfFile = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path &
"\" & GenericReportTitle & ".pdf"

            ' Get active printer.
            strActivePrinter = Application.ActivePrinter
            ' Change to the Microsoft Fax printer driver.
            'Application.ActivePrinter = "Acrobat PDFWriter on LPT1:"
            Application.ActivePrinter = "Acrobat Distiller on Ne01:"
            ' Print the active document
            Selection.PrintOut Copies:=1, printtofile:=True,
prtofilename:=GenericReportPsFile

            Dim myPDF As PdfDistiller
            Set myPDF = New PdfDistiller
            myPDF.FileToPDF GenericReportPsFile, GenericReportPdfFile,
""

            ' Change back to the default printer.
            Application.ActivePrinter = strActivePrinter

            Kill GenericReportPsFile

You must include in your references the distiller object.

so you have to print to post script then convert to pdf using
distiller.

now I am looking to figure out how to append to pdf files or to ps
files so that i can add more than one report to my pdf.

Thank You all for your answers.

As for aaron.kempf
Dear sir please look around at most of all the PROFITABLE enterprises
on this nice earth of ours and ask your self what sofware gets these
companies to accomplish thier jobs and make them millions.. In many
cases you will observe a windows  of some sort and in many cases a
office of some odd sort and in many of the casses you will obser that
they are all using bad software like adobe pdf writer or distiller....
umm i wounder... they make money and accomplish thier tasks with all
these BAD (as you expressed) software... if it was all that bad why
isnt the world on linux and open office or on mac os X  for that
matter. One simple answer, people get the job done with what they
currently have and to have a company change software is a big thing.
second of all to have a company re educate thier employees to a new os
or new soft is long hard expensive and the resistance to change factor
is very high. in other words i understand that you do not like adobe or
ms but it would be great if you kept it to your self, i dont need to
know it and I for a fact like what i can do with MS soft & dev
environment therefore i stick to it! it gets the job done.

Thx everyone for the good responses, they were greatly apreciated.

you're full of shit harlan

Adobe Acrobat is the buggiest software ever written; and it's a tragedy
that those dorks are going to be put in charge of Macromedia.

How many times has adobe acrobat bugged you and said 'do you want to
check for updates'?

more importantly; WTF is acrobat doing being a TSR (terminate and stay
resident)
Does WORD still tie up memory after you close it?
Does EXCEL still tie up memory after you close it?

Adobe Acrobat has been doing this for years:
a) making your browser hang
b) slowing down Windows
c) annoyingly asking you every 30 minutes if you want to check for
updates

I mean.. WTF is up with that company?

SOMEONE is asleep at the wheel lol

I mean.. those dorks dont' take the clientside seriously enough.

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/11/2005 5:14:36 PM
listen you fucknut

just because your company is profitable; that doesnt make adobe acrobat
an acceptable platform.

those fuckers are going to get eaten alive

it's only a problem when companies hire excel dorks like yourself-- in
the REAL WORLD people have to learn software or else they dont work.

Do you know what would happen if I wasn't constantly learning new
programs and ways to do things?

I WOULDN'T GET A JOB.

Do you know what happens when your excel dorks use crap software to get
their software done?

THEY WASTE MONEY.

Your time will come; you fucking excel dorks.

Grow up and start keeping pace with technology.  You can do this PDF
bullshit with Access snapshots.
Why would you want to spend $100/seat for software you've already got?

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/11/2005 5:17:40 PM
Excuse me aaron,

but to simply talk simple stuff liek excell and vba and adobe makes you
irretable ..

i find it quite silly. and NO learning software wont keep an indefinete
job,
but when you are smart enough to learn programming and to be able to
follow what you boss sais and following company policies and ever
though you know something better is out there and you know how to keep
your mouth shut on it fo rthe right reason then you may work for a long
time. the point is dont scare people with new technologies if you dont
have to.

I'm a C# C++ Java ..... & many more type of guy and i work with what i
am given. in other words im flexible.

and if something does the job then it simply does the job.

thanks for your consideration on the subject, it was entertainning

Alexandre

aaron.kempf@gmail.com wrote...
>Adobe Acrobat is the buggiest software ever written; and it's a tragedy
>that those dorks are going to be put in charge of Macromedia.

So many bugs! So many deluded people who ignore or don't even recognize
those bugs! Aaron alone among all the people on the planet realizes
this!

You need treatment. A nice, quiet room. lots of meds, . . .

>How many times has adobe acrobat bugged you and said 'do you want to
>check for updates'?

Um, none. Unlike you I may know how to turn off auto notify 'features'
and opt not to receive e-mail. [That said, I still use Acrobat 4 (full
version, not Reader), and I see no need to upgrade.]

>more importantly; WTF is acrobat doing being a TSR (terminate and stay
>resident)

since it took so long for older versions to load, that's an arguable
point. Do like I do - use an older version that doesn't 'function' this
way. Or learn how to write a script to unload all Acrobat processes
when it's not an active foreground application. Someone who claims to
be as knowledgeable as you do should be able to figure out how to
bypass this.

This isn't a bug, per se. It's a questionable to outright stupid design
decision. Lots of software, even some databases, have a few
questionable design 'features'.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
7/11/2005 11:00:04 PM
I must agree with you Harlan,

though I am curious to see where adobe will take macromedia or vice
versa.

a smart conbination of both could endup being a nice stronghold...

Alexandre

more flexible?  LoL

i use the same language in Excel macros, Access apps, DTS packages and
ASP.

That is called flexibility.

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/12/2005 10:27:45 PM
you use 4?

I haven't had any luck or stability with 5 or 6 or 7... so maybe i
should go back to the old ass version thanks

it takes a half hour for all versions to load.

I can open Excel FIVE TIMES in the amount of time that it takes PDF bs
to load.. i mean.. those dorks need to learn how to compile or
something lol

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/12/2005 10:29:22 PM
maybe you need a new computer

lol yeah

i just think that it's ridiculous.. someone at Adobe needs to learn how
to program

0
aaron.kempf (776)
7/16/2005 12:44:14 AM
Aaron, you air-headed dimwit!!

So, someone at Adobe needs to learn how to program????  Wonder how
they've sold as much of their product as they have?!?!

I think I've got you figured out.......  You bitch about Adobe being
squirrelly
You bitch about
Excel
You bitch about
Access
You bitch and bitch
and bitch

To me it sounds like YOU need to learn how to program!!
Whassamatterforyou?????  Don't know what a computer is for?  Don't know
how to program???  Don't know how to hold a job (like the one you lost
at Microsoft)??  Just DON't KNOW??????

You are pea-brained, or maybe it's pee-brained.

Go hide in a corner

--
greaseman
greaseman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28808

how come =date(year(today()),month(today())+6,today()) show 2097?
While evaluating, everything goes fine till it reaches today(), as 39216 and suddenly the result is the one given above. Why? Sorry, got the error. "dindigul" <padhye.m@gmail.com> wrote in message news:esGfEAalHHA.492@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > While evaluating, everything goes fine till it reaches today(), as 39216 > and suddenly the result is the one given above. Why? > Maybe you meant: =date(year(today()),month(today())+6,day(today())) I wasn't sure if you found a solution or not. dindigul wrote: > > Sorry, got the error. > "dindigul&...

Importing Word MERGEFORMAT field data
I'm using Office 2003, but these docs go back to 2000 I have stored each job in the form of a Word document. When opening the dot, a macro brings up text boxes asking for certain information. This info is inserted into the doc. By toggling the field code it shows: {FILLIN "text1"\*MERGEFORMAT I now need to take this information from several of the data fields, for each file and put it into an Excel spreadsheet. Any ideas ...

Office 2004 and Adobe distiller
Hi Folks, on the Adobe website, someone (wasn't me, but the problem ist the same)=20 complained about not being able to save the Word Hyperlinks and TOCs = etc.=20 to an Adobe PDF. The Windows-Veriosn however, does this for years. The answer was that = this=20 is a missing "hook" in the Mac Office version. Whatever that means, I = have to=20 resort to moving things around to a PC with Office and Acrobat installed = and=20 then back again to my Mac I work with. Sounds archaic. Is this the only way (except for linking manually, of = course)? TIA On 8/18/04 5:01 AM, in article 86...

xls to pdf?
From within Excel is there a way to convert an xls to a pdf? Does MS have anything to help do that? Thanks Kat > From within Excel is there a way to convert an xls to a pdf? You didn't mention which version you have. 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f1fc413c-6d89-4f15-991b-63b07ba5f2e5&displaylang=en -- HTH Dana DeLouis "Kat" <kat@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23OmVOpMbIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > From within Excel is there a way to convert an xls to a pdf? > ...

View Only Today's Tasks
OL 2003, XP Home When viewing the calendar and the task pad at the same time, I want to see today's tasks and past due tasks, but when I go to View > Taks Pad View > Today's Tasks I still get tasks for all dates (but no tasks without due dates). How can I fix the filters that it seems I messed up? -- ICQ# I also can't get it to display tasks for Active Tasks for Selected Days. It keeps showing the same tasks as Today's Tasks! Filter Hell ahhhhh! -- ICQ# "Diggy" <jamesOU812@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23pLxtWasDHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Making my own data file (pst) the outlook today file
I have just setup Outlook 2003. I have opened my old PST file. I wish to use this and make this my default data file. I will therefore not require the Personal Folder which is the Outlook today default I think I need to make my opened PST file the default file before I can delete the Personal Folders file But how do I do this...... Thanks Go to Tools | E-mail Accounts, select View or change existing e-mail accounts, click Next, and then choose your preferred file in the "Deliver new e-mail to the following location" dropdown box. Click Finish, and then you will be able to close...

conditional formatting 12-15-09
I have some cells which look like the following:- (they show three values from three other cells) either 1, 30, 5 or 1, *, 5 say where the "*" indicates a particularly large value Now, I am trying to highlight those cells which contain an "*". I am using SEARCH("*", A3) where A3 is the cell reference However, all my cells whether they include an "*" or not are highlighted What am I missing? Bob Check your another post which you have posted in Worksheet Functions. -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- &qu...

Literally displaying imported cells with <HTML> and <BODY> tags
Hi, I'm exporting contents to excel from a web application. Each row looks like this: "3101" "American Express" "Fort Lauderdale" "FL" "Deployed" "Windows 2001R1" "<![CDATA[<HTML> <BODY> <P> <B>IMPORTANT:</B> We have updated server. You must click the button again to receive your account information. <P> More text goes here </P> </BODY> </HTML>]]>" However, when the file is opened in Excel only the text in the last column is displayed (the tags and all the o...

Saving in PDF format -excel
Can I save excel files in PDF format - there is no PDF file option in the" save as type" drop down list "Helen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Can I save excel files in PDF format - there is no PDF file option in the" >save as type" drop down list Microsoft hasn't bothered to implement PDFs as an output file format. There are a few alternatives. First, there are some free or cheap PDF file writers that can be used as printers (as can Adobe's full Acrobat product, which isn't the same as Acrobat Reader). Or you could downl...

Outlook Today
I have two problems in Outlook Today. Here's the scenario. Today is Saturday 3rd Jan, 2004. In Customize Outlook Today I have "Show this number of days in my calendar as 7 " In Outlook Today under the Calendar column I have a multi-day event correct displayed under today. However, even though this multi-day event ends on Tuesday 6th Jan I cannot see any further listings for it in the Calendar Column. Should I not see it listed for Sunday and Monday and Tuesday as well? The second problem is I have an appointment penned in for Sunday 4th, 2004. (i.e. tomorrow) yet this is now...

Creating an AD account don't make the mailbox in exch2K3
Hi, I don't understand what's happening. When I create a new account in AD, it no longer creates the mailboxes in exchange 2003. It was working a week ago... It asks me if I also want to create a mailbox, I answer YES and ... no mailbox. Please help me, I must create this mailbox quickly since a new employee arrived and my boss doesn't understand why the mail is not set yet. I believe that the mailbox is actually created only after the first message is sent to it or there is a first logon. So if you are looking for it and you do not see it, this may be the cause. Frank &qu...

How do I save my Customized Outlook Today when it will not save b.
I am trying to set my Outlook Today to the Winter settings. I will go into Customize Outlook Today, make the changes I want, then I will click "Save Changes." What I want it displayed, untill I go to...say my inbox. When I go be to Outlook Today, it displayes the default settings again. How can I fix this? ...

today
Hi I was wondering if there's a way to add today's date statically (so it won't auto update) to a cell inside a formula. I would like the cell to enter today's date automatically when a value is placed in cell A:12, something like this; =IF(NOT(A12=0),TODAY()," ") This works except this will update the date each time I open the workbook and I don't want that. Thanks. You could change the formula to something like: =IF(A12=0,"",DATE(2007,11,15)) for today's date. I've made a few other changes - got rid of NOT and reversed the order, a...

Important restore a server a ups killed with large amount of data
Hello, A ups died taking out one of my sbs 2003 servers. now there is a lot data on this machine i am talking roughly 3 tb of data. Here is where is sites, sharepoint and sql are toast. completely a uninstall and reinstall don't fix it if anything it broke more. I have a backup from 3 days ago from sbs backup I also have a image based backup from 2 months ago. what is the best way to get this server up and running without taking the whole day tomorrow. can i just use ntbackup from the sbs backup i have and do a restore on the server and tell it to skip the data partit...

how to import 20 pages from Excel on 20 pages in Publisher
I have an Excel worksheet of 20 pages that I want to import or insert in Publisher. If I use 'insert object' Publisher considers that the 20 pages of Excel are only 1 page. How can I insert the 20 pages from Excel on 5 pages in Publisher? Thanks Jackske-Belgium ...

Conditional Formatting in 2007
Playing with Excel I'm trying to conditionally format cells that divided evenly in a range, heres a simple example :) In cell A1 I put '=50000000/row()' I then extend (drag) that for 100 rows. What I'd like to do is then select A1:A100 and conditionally format so the ones that divded with no remainder are highlighted. I can't figure out how to format a whole range with a formula. You do not need your formula in A1 and down. Just select A1:A100, goto Format > Conditional Formatting > Formula is: '=Mod(Row(),2)=0' Select formatting as desire...

Find (Today-21) in a range of dates
I need to write a formula which will search a range of cells containing dates and if any of those is greater than todays date less 21 days, then return the text "not due". This is for a customer data base which has home page showing all customers, and subsequent pages for indvidual customers. As contact dates are added for each customer on their own sheets, then the home page should show if they are due (or overdue) for a call =IF(MAX(rng)>(TODAY()-21),"not due","due") -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "JG&quo...

Incorrect formatting in email
In Outlook 2003 my email format defaults to PARAGRAPH when starting a new email. Everytime I begin I must first change it to NORMAL. When replying to an email, however, the format default is NORMAL. How can I have the default NORMAL in both cases Thanks Richar ...

POCKET PC 2003 EXCEL TO STOP CHANGING THE formating
everytime i sync, pocket pc changes the formating of cells, is there any way to stop this. ...

Outlook Today
I have duplicate "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]" on my folder list. They seem to be exact duplications. When they are expanded they have the same subfolders and changes to one are reflected in the other. Is there some way to get rid of the duplicate folder? Also, below the second "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]" is an additional folder called "Personal Folders" in the same vertical hierarchy as the two "Outlook Today - [Personal Folders]". When I click on the "Personal Folders" folder I get a message that says "! Unable ...

Task lost formating
We use Word to create a table to bring over to a task. Suddenly, this past week, many of our tables are gone although the text is still there. ...

date format in excel not in line with control panel regional setti
I am running office professional 97 on windows XP platform and have a problem with excel date formats. The control panel regional settings in windows are set correctly to English ( united Kingdom ) with short date format of DD/MM/YYYY. when I apply format > cells in excel and select the date category the date formats presented appear to be in US format i.e. MM/DD/YYYY. and if applied to cells, the US date format is displayed. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling excel, but problem still persists. In Access, the date formats are in the correct UK format and not US. Are there an...

Lead Import
Has anyone tried to customize the Lead Import process? We have a need that a user may import Leads into CRM, but they are not to be the owner of the Lead. During the import we'd like to be able to automatically assign the Lead to a Sales Exec as the owner. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Print pdf file on WebBrowser Control
I am trying to Print pdf file on WebBrowser Control using javascript code window.pdf_frame.print();. It is working fine but freezing machine very often. I am using Adobe Acrobat 6.0. How can I Print pdf file on WebBrowser Control without freezing machine. Thanks in advance. Bob Info you provided is not going to be enough to figure out what you are asking. In addition, you would be better served if you ask this in a related newsgroup: microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.webbrowser_ctl ------ Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com ...

Task View to Display All Task between Today-30 and Today+30
Is it possible to create a View in Task folder such that all tasks due between Today-30 and Today+30 are displayed? In the Advanced Filter setting, I have tried the following setting in vain: Field: Due Date Condition: between Value: date()-30 and date()+30 Thanks for your very kind help in advance. Regards, Armstrong ...