Importing text from an Explorer window

Howdy all.

OS: XP,   Excel 2002 SP3

I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album
Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this
information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from
the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text.
Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway.

Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text,
and then copy that info into a spreadsheet?

TIA.
--
Don Cox

0
Don
3/20/2007 1:50:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Here is one I have used in my "songs.xls". Written a couple of years ago.

Sub FindFiles()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'sets Erase or Append option
lastrow = Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row
If lastrow = 4 Then lastrow = 5 Else lastrow = lastrow
'MsgBox lastrow
If UCase([a3]) = "E" Then
Range("a5:f" & lastrow).ClearContents
lastrow = 4
ElseIf UCase([a3]) = "A" Then lastrow = lastrow
End If
'Sets Musicpath
If Right([a1], 1) <> "\" And Left([a1], 1) <> "_" Then x = "\"
If IsEmpty([a2]) = False And Right([a2], 1) <> "\" Then y = "\"
musicpath = [a1] & x & [a2] & y
'Finds Files
With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = musicpath
    .SearchSubFolders = True 'False
    .MatchTextExactly = False
    .Filename = ".mp3" '*.mp3* did not work in 97
    If .Execute(msoSortOrderDescending) > 0 Then
'MsgBox "There were " & .FoundFiles.Count & " file(s) found."
      For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
 'MsgBox Mid(.FoundFiles(i), Len(musicpath) + 1, 2)
 If Mid(.FoundFiles(i), Len(musicpath) + 1, 2) <> "__" Then 'added for
__INCOMPLETE

 x = Application.Find("\", StrReverse(.FoundFiles(i))) - 2 'must have
function before xl2000
 y = Application.Find("-", StrReverse(.FoundFiles(i))) - 1

 Cells(i + lastrow, 1).Value = Mid(.FoundFiles(i), Len(.FoundFiles(i)) - x,
x - y)
 x = Application.Find("-", .FoundFiles(i)) + 1
 Cells(i + lastrow, 2).Value = Mid(.FoundFiles(i), x, Len(.FoundFiles(i)) -
x - 3)
 Cells(i + lastrow, 3).Value = FileLen(.FoundFiles(i))
 Cells(i + lastrow, 4).Value = FileDateTime(.FoundFiles(i))
 Cells(i + lastrow, 5).Value = .FoundFiles(i) 'Path to play
 End If 'added
      Next i

    Else
        MsgBox "There were no files found."
    End If
End With

Range("a5:g" & Range("a65536").End(xlUp).Row) _
..Sort Key1:=Cells(1, 1), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Cells(1, 2),
Order2:=xlAscending, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
[a5].Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Don" <do@com> wrote in message
> Howdy all.
>
> OS: XP,   Excel 2002 SP3
>
> I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album
> Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of
> this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select
> All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and
> not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway.
>
> Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text,
> and then copy that info into a spreadsheet?
>
> TIA.
> --
> Don Cox

0
dguillett1 (2487)
3/20/2007 2:19:48 PM
Dumb question: How do I run a script like this on a PC?

Thanks for the reply.

Don

--
Don Cox
"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
> End Sub
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Don" <do@com> wrote in message
>> Howdy all.
>>
>> OS: XP,   Excel 2002 SP3
>>
>> I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album
>> Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of
>> this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select
>> All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and
>> not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway.
>>
>> Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just
>> text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet?

0
Don
3/20/2007 2:49:49 PM
You may want to try John Walkenbach's MP3 file lister:

--

Dave Peterson
0

Don

--
Don Cox
> You may want to try John Walkenbach's MP3 file lister:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip103.htm
>
> Don wrote:
>>
>> Howdy all.
>>
>> OS: XP,   Excel 2002 SP3
>>
>> I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album
>> Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of
>> this
>> information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All"
>> from
>> the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the
>> text.
>> Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway.
>>
>> Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just
>> text,
>> and then copy that info into a spreadsheet?
>>
>> TIA.
>> --
>> Don Cox
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Don

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Why does shared workbooks uncheck users Windows in Taskbar option
Every time users go into a shared workbook it unchecks their previously selected option to show Windows In Taskbar (Tools\Option\View\Windows In Taskbar). I've tried saving the program with this option checked but it seems every time I make it a shared workbook and go back into it, this option unchecks itself. Any way around this? What version of excel are you running? Saved from a previous post... There's a bug in xl2k that shows up if you're working with shared workbooks. If you're not using xl2k and shared workbooks, it sounds like you don't have permission to ...

Importing data

Problems comming with change of Windows OS versions
Hi all, I work on MFC ,Dialog based applications........ when I develop an application and test it ,frequently I am facing one problem...It is the applications are working fine in one Windows OS version( consider XP) but if I test it another Windows OS version like( 98,2k,XPSP2)..there are some problems(like not underlining the shortcut keys,images not getting displayed..etc ) which are comming in that particular OS version only.... I want to know the reason behind this.....why is it working fine in one OS & not in other...?? I have clearly checked that the commands are g...

Popup windows
Hi there, I'm having problems with popup window blocking in MS Internet Explorer and CRM Outlook client integration where a lot of windows in CRM are being blocked somehow. I presumed having the Outlook Client integration for CRM would have automatically added the CRM windows to 'allowed sites' for popups, but they still are blocked. The same is happening in the internet browser. I have the popup blocker turned off, and I have no other tools such as Google bar that could also be blocking the windows. Did anyone have any similar problems, or know what I can do to stop w...

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Importing Dynamic data

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

Importing a CSV file

Make a complete list of words from texts in a range
Hey guys - again :) My challenge today is as follow: Sheet = "TEXT" In column A i have several celles with texts/comments - words/ sentences I want to split all the texts into singel words and make a word-list of all used words of this column A - and copy the words into a new sheet (sheet = "WORDS") column A as my complete word-list. I have no idea of how to do this. After producing this word-list I will remove the doublettes and sort it - this of course I CAN do bmy own "skills". Will anyone please help me? Kindly regards Snoopy On Fri, 27 ...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

SFO's MSDE causes Windows Explorer crash.
We have CRM at our main offices in London and also have 2 guys in Los Angeles who belong to our domain and use CRM via the web. They would like to use SFO. These guys are roaming sales men, so their domain credentials are cached on their PC's and they connect to our domain only when at their office and using VPN. They are on XP Pro (SP1) laptops with 2.6GHz P4 and 512Mb memory, running Outlook 2003. Whilst at their offices and connected by VPN to the London domain, we successfully installed SFO on their PC's. It appears to work, but causes Windows Explorer to crash. Switc...

importing email

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

import pdf table

Publisher 2002 and Windows 98
Sorry for the newbie questions, but a prowl through the microsoft website was fruitful. Will Publisher 2002 run with Windows 98? Paul Laplante Absolutely! I have Office XP and Publisher 2002 running on a Win98se machine and it runs like a champ. "plep" <laplap33@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:k5WVa.4186$mv6.738972@news20.bellglobal.com... > Sorry for the newbie questions, but a prowl through the microsoft website > was fruitful. > > Will Publisher 2002 run with Windows 98? > > Paul Laplante > > Office yes but trying to install publisher 200...

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003