Importing multiple text files to spreadsheet

Just wondering if anyone might know if there's a way to automate this
problem:

I have 200 text files that need to be imported to 1 worksheet on Excel.

	- each file should be imported to 1 column in the Excel worksheet
- the 'next' file imported to the next column
	- thus after the import, there should be 200 filled columns
		- starting with zero columns filled

??? Any ideas?

==========================

FYI: essentially, i'm trying to get information from the text files -
which represent 1 record - to a database, & i'm using a spreadsheet to
do this coz after the import, I will still have to adjust the size of
each column to align the fields (each line in a text file = 1 field,
but some lines are missing from some text files). So if anyone can
suggest another method to do this, by all means......

ps. I actually want each file to fill a row, not a column, but this
seems easy enough w/ a "Paste Special" & "transpose" function.....

--
lanwu
lanwu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15017

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ianwu,

The following VBA sub will open each .txt file in folder C:\MyFolder in
turn, and import each line in each file horizontally, so no need to
transpose afterwards. Open a new workbook, right-click on a sheet tab and
select View Code; when taken to the VBA window, select the file you want to
save the code in in the upper left panel (the new workbook, or, Personal.xls
so it is globally available), and go to menu item Insert > Module. Pste the
code below in the right hand side panel, and change the folder from
C:\MyFolder to your actual folder name. Run the code (F5 in the VBA window
or Tools > Macro > Macros while in the spreadsheet) and it's done.

Sub Import_Text_Files()
    Dim fs, f, f1, vLine
    Dim i As Long, j As Long
    i = 0
    Range("A1").Select
    fldr = "C:\MyFolder\"
    Set f = fs.getfolder(fldr)
    Set f1 = f.Files
    For Each f2 In f1
        filenam = fldr & f2.Name
        If Right(filenam, 4) = ".txt" Then
            j = 0
            Open filenam For Input As #1
                Do Until EOF(1)
                    Line Input #1, vLine
                    ActiveCell.Offset(i, j).Value = vLine
                    j = j + 1
                Loop
            Close #1
            i = i + 1
        End If
    Next
End Sub

HTH,
Nikos

"lanwu" <lanwu.1dn85b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Just wondering if anyone might know if there's a way to automate this
> problem:
>
> I have 200 text files that need to be imported to 1 worksheet on Excel.
>
> - each file should be imported to 1 column in the Excel worksheet
> - the 'next' file imported to the next column
> - thus after the import, there should be 200 filled columns
> - starting with zero columns filled
>
> ??? Any ideas?
>
> ==========================
>
> FYI: essentially, i'm trying to get information from the text files -
> which represent 1 record - to a database, & i'm using a spreadsheet to
> do this coz after the import, I will still have to adjust the size of
> each column to align the fields (each line in a text file = 1 field,
> but some lines are missing from some text files). So if anyone can
> suggest another method to do this, by all means......
>
> ps. I actually want each file to fill a row, not a column, but this
> seems easy enough w/ a "Paste Special" & "transpose" function.....
>

> --
> lanwu
> lanwu's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15017
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=266348

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Importing data

Opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel
Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 Release 9 for Windows) files "Jim Warren" <Jim Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there a convertion filter for opening Lotus *.123 files in Excel. >I can convert *.wk? files, but I am unable to open *.123 (Lotus 1-2-3 >Release 9 for Windows) files The .wk? file formats predated Microsoft securing +90% market share, so way back then they had to compete in terms of interoperability. The .123 file format came after Mi...

excel 97 xml import

Importing JEs through the Table Import

PUBLISHER TEXT BOX PROBLEMS
HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND THE WRITING WHITE? I CAN ONLY SEEM TO MAKE THE WHOLE PAGE BLACK. Three steps are needed. #1 Replace or fix your keyboard so it isn't stuck on Caps Lock. #2 Select the text frame and then color it black. #3 With the text frame selected, use Ctrl-A to highlight all text and click on the text color icon to choose white. -- Ron "cataloguemaker" <cataloguemaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCAF0C9F-1FE2-4A76-9431-CCB37FFCFF68@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I MAKE THE BACKGROUND OF A TEXT BOX BLACK AND ...

Capturing "text" instead of the formula
I have the following code snippet: Pass = 0 Fail = 0 For i = 9 To (ZeroRow - 3) Step 8 If Cells(i, "H").Value = Pass Then Pass = Pass + 1 Else Fail = Fail + 1 End If Next The cells I'm referring to actually have formulas in them but when you look at the worksheet the cells have either "Pass" or "Fail" in them. That's what I'm trying to capture. But when I run this code it doesn't see "Pass" in any of the cells so all of them in the for loop get assigned to Fail. I've tried putting t...

recover damaged excel file
I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Hi, what message do you get?, ask your IT department usually they backup all the files, did you send the file to somebody? "Nora_Italy" wrote: > I have a workbook creater with Excel 2000 just a few days ago but there's no > way to open it. Coud anyone give me any suggestion? Thank you Eduardo. I don't get any error message, the file just doesn't open. Unfortunatately we backup files only once a month and I created...

Using multiple Like(s) * in a query
Hi Just a quick one, is there a way of selecting using Like* multiple times in a query in a similar way to using IN e.g. IN("a","b","c") rather than having to use multiple OR statements? Thanks for any suggestions Paul Paul, Using your example: Like "[a-c]*" .... or: Like "[a,b,c]*" -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP paulquinlan100@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi > > Just a quick one, is there a way of selecting using Like* multiple > times in a query in a similar way to using IN e.g. IN("a","b","c"...

Importing Dynamic data

delimiting w/multiple delimiters?
I have a large database I use that has our item numbers and quantities in the same cell (example: PRODUCTA Q100, and PRODUCTA Q200, etc). It works for me to use the quantities for formula later by doing the "text to columns" and delimiting by Q. Problem is, sometimes the product name also has a Q in it so the delimiting function seperates it incorrectly. Like: Works: cell A: PRODUCTA Q100 turns to-- cell A: PRODUCTA cell B: 100 Doesn't work when: cell F: PRODUCTQA Q100 turns to-- cell A: PRODUCT cell B: A cell C:100 The LAST Q# is always the one I w...

Importing a CSV file

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

Multiple POP3 "Mail delivery locations"
I have a number of email IDs on the same POP server. And also a few Hotmail accounts. The hotmail accounts set up separate folders for the incoming mail. I cannot get the pop accounts to to separate personal and/or inbox folders. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it? Thanks...JOHN What version of Outlook are you using?? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and find...

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

File Size
Please note that this is not your typical file size question. I have a macro-enabled Excel 2007 file that varies in size from 15-100Mb depending on how much data I populate it with. Every day, in order to email this file out, I alter it by doing the following: Select all tabs (11 in all). Select all cells Copy/Paste Values Delete 5 of the tabs Save as a new Excel Workbook (not macro enabled) The new file size is now roughly 600Kb. However, all of a sudden, the changed file is about 2Mb. I made sure to delete all the excess rows/columns. I deleted the one macro that I h...

importing email

log files in folder MDBDATA
is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? fanman36 wrote: > is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? This files will be deleted automatically after performing a full backup with NTBackup. They are used for recovery. -- Dana http://www.woodcontour.com Solid wood and stone PC Peripherals On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:15:01 -0700, "fanman36" <fanman36@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is it safe to delete the log files that's in the folder MDBDATA? No, you should not manually delete those files. Use an Exchange awar...

import pdf table

Excel 2003